Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Tora Tora Tora! in AGK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2020 21:44 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2020 22:24
Hello!!
Tora Tora Tora! It is a game that I was developing in B3D, and following the advice of other developers I was encouraged to move to AppGameKit to have my game on a more modern engine.

Basically it is a game of air conflict over the Pacific in WW2, initially oriented to the Japanese side.

I am so new to AppGameKit that I am still understanding, I go step by step, trying not to stumble mentally and feel overwhelmed by so many new things that AppGameKit offers me.

My game, look for an old graphic style, All in black and white, except for reds, and pixelated textures, semi-faceted LOW poly models, I simply want to achieve a creative visual effect that does not compete with a modern realistic style.

So far, what I achieve is the following.

- Generate 2D ocean plane - simple texture
- Generate TYPES for planes and boats
- Functions of creating Boats, and update_cam

I am learning how to load 3D objects, my aircraft carrier is .obj, but I am testing whether to do it .x, .b3d, .3ds or .obj or not what else.

Textures, for now I will use only 1 texture per object, until I learn to manipulate this theme.

The water, is a single texture without animating, it is part of the style of the game and I try not to get involved in resources that later on in later versions I will be able to improve with time.

I'll add in this DEV-LOG style post, a little to have the progress of my game and my progress in AGK.

I send a greeting.
Santiago

First screenshot of Tora in AGK.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 18th May 2020 03:43
Looks good so far, and i'm glad you've navigated your first obstacle

I've viewed a couple of your vids for the previous version and i look forward to seeing this developed in AGK.

Otherwise, Welcome
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Santiago3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2020 22:37 Edited at: 21st May 2020 22:44
Thanks guys!

im realy realy happy with my new friend AppGameKit, i think that "This is the begining of a beautifull friendship!"

now i need to do the collision detection for landing on carriers.
and i need to load objects childs or element to do that

i need to add explotions, and water splash, airplanes smokes, fire, and many other things..

i don't know how to place the video link yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTmHP33ioAs

PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2020 23:34
Woah,

that looks really awesome.
I'm impressed

PSY LABS Games
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 27th May 2020 07:12 Edited at: 27th May 2020 07:19
looks great Santiago
Quote: " now i need to do the collision detection for landing on carriers. "

if your using the physics commands for the plane movement the ships really need to be physics objects
and the engine will pretty much take care of allot of the physics and collisions for you ie they will bounce
off of each other etc and can still detect if collided

but for landing I wonder if an invisible object attached where the wheels are and checking for contact
points via raycasting would be the way to go. ok attaching a cube adds primitives but I used this idea allot
in my grandprix game as it was a simple way of detecting if a car was near the edge and make adjustments
accordingly. I also did this for raycasting AI cars to see if they should brake etc

doesn't really need to be done with objects as long as you can work out where to raycast from I just
have a routine that detects collision

anyway that's my 2 cents im following this great project

fubarpk on Itch...………...https://fubarpk.itch.io/
fubarpk on googleplay..https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=fubarpk
Santiago3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2020 00:41 Edited at: 28th May 2020 00:42
Hi, thanks for the comments!

totally in accordance with the subject of physics.
I do not use the physics engine, it is easier for me to write my own physics.

As I am in the process of learning AppGameKit, learning the physics engine I leave it for the future, and for some game that deserves it a little more.

In airplane games, collisions are really few, but if I could use it in the future, when a collision is generated, generate physical engine objects, that no longer depend on my physics. like being a ragdoll of a falling pilot, or a plane smashed in the air.

As you say, to land airplanes, I simply check which wheel is lower, and shoot lightning bolts from there.
If both wheels are at the same height, shoot from a central point.

If I detect that my lightning strikes the deck, and that the wheels are below the deck, I raise the plane to the point of contact.

I also make the plane a child of the aircraft carrier, so that it copies its movements and rotations.

But I can only do that now, since until today I had no control of the position of the childs.

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 28th May 2020 08:41
Quote: "I do not use the physics engine, it is easier for me to write my own physics."

Wow that's awesome if you can do that

fubarpk on Itch...………...https://fubarpk.itch.io/
fubarpk on googleplay..https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=fubarpk
Santiago3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2020 15:45
851/5000
don't think i use advanced physics.

on planes, if the engine crashes, or the fuselage, or the wings, it is a catastrophe, the plane dies.

if the wheels touch the ground, if the speed is <to the acceptable one and the vertical speed (climb) is smooth, then I allow you to land, if not, I destroy the landing gear, and will surely end up crashing the plane.

I can put a sensor on the tips of the wings, to know if they touch the water or a boat.

I use balls that collide against mesh, which if they move away from their assigned point on the plane, there I calculate according to their distance and angle, how that collision affects me.

but really, it is important to simplify the physics, since the user will never notice it.

It is different when you have a 4x4 vehicle, or a robot, or vehicle collisions with objects and others .... that would surely do it with a physics engine.
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2020 16:09 Edited at: 28th May 2020 16:09
Santiago3D this looks fantastic! I watched your latest video from yesterday.
It seems like watching an old movie. Fantastic visual style almost like an old movie documentary and I mean that in the best way possible. It seems very realistic. Really fantastic work!
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2020 00:44
Looking really good there.
Seems your project and mine have some similarities - Aircraft carrier, island warfare etc. although mine is set in the 1980s.

There's a real nice aesthetic about your project already - great stuff!!

I've got to do landing / take off soon enough, but will probably use VTOL / catapult.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2020 01:23 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2020 01:30
1:12 = "Looks nice. I like this."

You said it. lol
My thought s exactly.

That floating camera "like the movies" would drive me crazy though.
I like the in plane camera for the cockpit view, and the other 3rd person camera would be okay if it were more stable.
The camera moving all around would have a very negative effect on aiming the guns. (the motion of the planes is bad enough.

Really like the b&w with limited reds colors, and I agree that the style going opposite of true realism is more appropriate for games based on real wars.
I was considering converting my ocean based game to WWII ship defense against kamikaze pilots.
Was also thinking of having the user choose for defense or as pilot (Allies/Axis) but was going to start with defending since I have the ships worked out already.

Your project is very nice, and very professional looking.
Welcome to the forums.

PS
The collisions for the ships in my game used ray casting. (my first time playing around with that in AGK)
It wasn't hard to get the effects I was looking for. (AGK is really awesome)

Quote: "im realy realy happy with my new friend AppGameKit, i think that "This is the begining of a beautifull friendship!""

lol
Falling in love with AppGameKit is easy.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Santiago3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2020 15:27
Hi all!, how are you!, thanks fot the comments!!!
Hi Benjamin!
Quote: "It seems like watching an old movie. Fantastic visual style almost like an old movie documentary and I mean that in the best way possible. It seems very realistic. Really fantastic work!"

The reason for the search for all this style is because, I want to feel the same sensation as when I played the old games, "in the golden years of 386."
all the new and fascinating graphics that we see in today's games, for me, work as the difference between watching a movie or reading the book, the brain needs to imagine, it needs to process. my brain misses the essence of old games with those pixelated graphics where everything had to be interpreted.
The goal with Tora Tora, is to have good graphics, but to see the polygons, the facets, to see the mesh, it is really a rare mix. as always leaving the idea that it could be better.
Even so, it is difficult to have a mix, since the sky, or the sea, is very difficult to achieve something Lowpoly without textures, so choose to mix poly and realism.
I certainly want it to look like an old game, but one that has defined artistic criteria.

Quote: "Looking really good there.
Seems your project and mine have some similarities - Aircraft carrier, island warfare etc. although mine is set in the 1980s.
There's a real nice aesthetic about your project already - great stuff!!
I've got to do landing / take off soon enough, but will probably use VTOL / catapult."

Hi!, thanks!,

I was watching the missile tests, and they are really incredible!
I am still struggling with the landing physics, but at least I managed to detect a collision and the plane does not cross the deck
What is VTOL? my english and my brain are of poor quality
I hope to see more of your project! With the missile era, everything is more complicated, since the distances and speeds are tremendous ...
I before tora, evaluate what type of game I wanted, and I came to the conclusion that it had to be prior to all that era.
These days I will start playing with the AppGameKit particles, which thanks to your video will be amazed at its performance.

Quote: "The camera moving all around would have a very negative effect on aiming the guns. (the motion of the planes is bad enough."

Hello! Yes, it is true that it is impossible to point with this camera.
the idea is to regulate the target distance from the camera to the plane when there is a need to be more precise.
It is a very nice camera to show a project, but little practical to aim .

can you share a link of your project?,

I would like to see it, especially if it is made in AppGameKit!

I am advancing with the landing physics, but I admit that I still have a hard time doing it.

but it is a question of thinking, there is the problem, thinking is costing me a lot.

Currently my planes come into contact with the deck, but when the aircraft carrier moves, the planes do not fully adapt the movement and rotation of the deck, and it is complicated since the plane, as in Einstein's theory of relativity, the plane adopts deck movements but the aircraft carrier is moving at a speed of 50km / h, so the wings are already holding up a bit.

invent a system to smooth out the speed of the plane, how much the plane should copy the deck movements, so if the plane has less than 50km * h speed, it adopts 100% of the movements

but when it lands, if the plane sustains, it can still drift a bit if the aircraft carrier is rolling or tacking.

I want to make it feel realistic, even if it really isn't.
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2020 19:42
I
Quote: " was watching the missile tests, and they are really incredible!
I am still struggling with the landing physics, but at least I managed to detect a collision and the plane does not cross the deck
What is VTOL? my english and my brain are of poor quality
I hope to see more of your project! With the missile era, everything is more complicated, since the distances and speeds are tremendous ...
I before tora, evaluate what type of game I wanted, and I came to the conclusion that it had to be prior to all that era.
These days I will start playing with the AppGameKit particles, which thanks to your video will be amazed at its performance.
"

I will be working on take off and landing after I've done some work on the island generation.
First I will be doing the AI landing and take off, using waypoints. Each waypoint will have the speed adjustment set and the waypoints will be a calculated curve towards the landing zone.
I would probably use raycasting in the final phase though and not use any built in physics.
VTOL is Vertical Take-Off and Landing. I was thinking that my eventual flying object will have vector thrust capability.
I'm keeping everything in my game to SI measurements, so the object size, speed and everything else is real world. For instance the Jet is e.g. 520mph and the missiles in that example are 540mph (or something similar)
Sound even travels at the correct speed - so distant sounds are delayed in reaching the camera.
The particles are not bad. It takes a bit of work to set up and manage multiple emitters and you have to manage your own lighting for them (I recently noticed)
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2020 19:51
Quote: "invent a system to smooth out the speed of the plane, how much the plane should copy the deck movements, so if the plane has less than 50km * h speed, it adopts 100% of the movements

but when it lands, if the plane sustains, it can still drift a bit if the aircraft carrier is rolling or tacking.

I want to make it feel realistic, even if it really isn't."

I would think that once you have landed properly, it would make sense to fixObjectToObject()
As a basic starter, you could transfer any existing world inertia from the plane's global information to the plane's local information as soon as you did this.
Just to work out the position from the origin of the carrier and:

then resume the inertia on a local basis. May be more useful to do ray casts, but you probably need to attach some null objects to the wheels and cast from them...
Raycasts can also get you the angles, so would be the best idea.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2020 01:54
Quote: "can you share a link of your project?"

https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/220750

Santiago3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2020 23:36
new video showing the concept of the new 2d menu, work in slow progress

GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2020 00:40 Edited at: 25th Jun 2020 01:47
Santiago3D wrote: "I want to feel the same sensation as when I played the old games, "in the golden years of 386."
all the new and fascinating graphics that we see in today's games, for me, work as the difference between watching a movie or reading the book, the brain needs to imagine, it needs to process. my brain misses the essence of old games with those pixelated graphics where everything had to be interpreted."

I can relate to this very much. I think the same way. For a while I used to really enjoy seeing the cool graphics and so forth. But eventually in the push to achieve realism and just supreme fidelity I think games kind of lost something. Some of the "magic" that I believe exactly as you said came from players using their imaginations to "fill in the blanks".

You're doing superb work. And actually I think the visuals are quite detailed. Highly readable for sure and it really has a good atmosphere to it!
Santiago3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2020 01:40
Thanks Benjamin.

im not the only one!

about the detail of tora, yes, i have too much detail, but trying to keep faceted airplanes, or allways left like can better a little but no, is only with that detail

with the no-color is the same...

i need to work more in that style.

now i finish my first attemp of map in game.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2020 15:43
It looks like the propeller may be the shadow culprit.

If the prop did not cast a shadow, would the flicker be gone?

Dogfight is nice.

You are making good progress.

nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2020 00:53
well, you are making some excellent progress here.
I have been making actual woodwork frames for garden lately and less time on my game.

Same kind of problems: UV unwrapping complex wooden structures with plastic sheets
Santiago3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2020 00:15
thanks!, its good work with real materials sometimes, like wood .

today i work in canopy open/close and glass texture for fist time.

next step, is eject eject eject

PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2020 12:36
Very nice and detailed cockpit...

PSY LABS Games
fancy music
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2020 20:06
The glass texture looks pretty good. I like the attention to detail as well.
I wish i thought of a better name when i made this account :/
Santiago3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2020 22:21 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2020 22:25
thanks Guys!!.

now im working on main menu.

what do you think about this?

blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2020 00:36
Nice treatment. Looks like and old black and white war movie
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2020 14:29
Very slick and great looking menu.
I like it

PSY LABS Games
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2020 05:40
Fantastic! Very atmospheric. You really have chosen / created a very unique style for this game. It gives a feeling of authenticity in a sense. It's like watching a war documentary but being able to interact with it. Very cool!
Scribble
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2020 16:54 Edited at: 26th Jul 2020 16:54
Probably you can ask Janbo to make a 'grainy old film' shader to make it looks like the old movies.
And speed up animation like the old movies
Santiago3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2020 01:00 Edited at: 8th Aug 2020 01:00
Thanks for the feedback!!

This new video shows some of the things that I was able to advance about the game, weapons, explorations, shots, bombs and torpedoes.

plane, movement of elements and parts, animations, physics

much remains to be done, but progress is good.

my greetings!!!

Quote: "Fantastic! Very atmospheric. You really have chosen / created a very unique style for this game. It gives a feeling of authenticity in a sense. It's like watching a war documentary but being able to interact with it. Very cool!"

thanks, Undoubtedly, the videos of the documentaries show the reality of the war, and I hope to be able to capture all that drama and translate it into the game, it is one of the goals ... through that style to convey those sensations a bit.

Quote: "Probably you can ask Janbo to make a 'grainy old film' shader to make it looks like the old movies.
And speed up animation like the old movies"

Yes, one of the reasons why I migrated to AppGameKit is the issue of shaders, although I have not reached that yet, since my first goal is to finish programming the base.

but I will much need the shaders for effects, water, and other issues.
Scribble
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2020 02:44 Edited at: 5th Nov 2021 12:25
I must say I love the bullets and smokes.

How about putting some human NPC running around on the ship and falling off ship/airplanes? That would make the setting even more grim
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2020 12:31
Quote: "How about putting some human NPC running around on the ship and falling off ship/airplanes? That would make the setting even more grim"

I was thinking something similar ... a Level OF Detail (LOD) system for more ship detail when you get close to it, but as he said "much remains to be done", so he probably is planning those anyway.

This is looking really great though as it is, and it is definitely showing off his skills as a pro, so I am looking forward to all its glory when its done.

One question though... did you lose the third Tora from the title due to copyright concerns?

DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking fantastic. Already has a lot of atmosphere. Great job.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 01:30:43
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 01:30:43