Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / Would love to see a project template function in studio.

Author
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2020 16:40
I know i can change the default file but i would like to be able to add entire project templates for new projects.
I have a bunch of fiiles i reuse for many projects.
Would be neat to have a function called create project from template 2d games etc.
Where users can create there own entire templates for projects.
Why not cloud based so can people share there templates?
Something like in godot.
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2020 20:00
I have a system for that already.
I use autohotkey and have scripts written for several templates. It's free and very useful!
I just press a key combination then watch as AHK writes several files and #includes them all for me
Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2020 20:55
I'd like something like this, too.

I have a boilerplate set of files and placeholder images that I use. One set for the Windows apps, and one set for the Android apps. The two things I would like are:

1) Not have to recopy my main.agc every time there is an update.
2) A template or wizard system so that I don't have recopy the same files into every project.

PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2020 13:28
An IDE plugin system would be the best option me thinks, simply expose a small set of functions for file, script and scene management and we could code tools to take care of whatever our needs are.

for example, using the same plugin system that the runtime uses (DLL with function pointers) exposing:
CreateProject( szProjectName )
AddFileToProject( szProjectName , szFile)

and we have the base to code any kind of template system we could desire and expose:

GetSCIHandle() (to get the handle of the active Scintilla window) and we can code any kind of script manipulation tool

so exposing just a handful of IDE functions to a plugin system could really expand the usability of AGKS and take the strain of the devs coding things we could code ourselves, and when someone needs something that is not currently exposed all the devs need to do is expose the function and the plugin creators code the tools.

In my opinion this could really take AGKS to the next level.
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2020 19:49
If you don't mind screwing with the default files., you know that New Projects are controlled by the NewProject.agk in the Media Folder of the AppGameKit Installation...
By default it just includes and updates the main.agc that's available in data\templates but you can add any number of custom .agc to that folder and include them within the newproject.agk ... then all new projects will use that as the basis.

Mind I couldn't tell you all of the Template { } that are applicable., as TGC doesn't exactly provide any help or information on that.
I'd agree though... it would be nice if we could have Multiple Custom Templates., so say for example I wanted to make an AppGameKit VR App... instead of either manually, macro or batch file setting up the base project, copy the files, etc.
Instead you could choose "New Project" and it's one of the New Project Options.

I mean given there is something like AppGameKit VR which is a "Official" Plug-In (might be 3rd Party Developed, but they still market and retail it as if it's something that was in-house)., you'd think they'd have added such functionality.
It'd be a really powerful tool for both Plug-In Developers and improve the Quality of Life aspect of the Editor.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2020 20:05 Edited at: 25th May 2020 20:12
i haven't tried it myself but this was offered ~6 mos ago.

otherwise, i think it would be easy enough to create a small app that could retrieve/copy includes, media, etc, via a "pick list", or help to insert code, functions, , etc, (via clipboard) which could be executed from within a default project on first run, etc. you get the idea.

my "templates" don't amount to much so i probably won't write a "picker" myself anytime soon

neither is built into studio (which i don't have) but either of the above would bring it close?
DannyD
Years of Service
User Offline
Dunno if this would be of any help.

Look at this link
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/225488

Its a project menu/database i've done a while back, thtat allow for various menu templates, and according to that open in agk or agks

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 12:39:20
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 12:39:20