Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / [SOLVED] Thoughts of a simple game changing addon for studio.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: With reality.
Posted: 20th Jul 2020 05:35
A few days ago i requested on gitHub the ability to know what were the latest functions i worked on in the functions drop down at the top of the ide (above the code area) and now i have thought of something even better.

You know this moment, where you leave coding for a few days and you kinda forget where you were last time?

So what if at the startup of Studio, it will give us a little window where we can always tick for "show at startup , On/Off"
This little window will simply show us the latests lines of code we worked on. Lets say for this example the last 10 lines. And if we // marked something it will show it also. So maximum 10 lines of code and 10 lines of // info we written ourselves.

I think that all of AgK community will gain from this.

As sometimes you code late at night and when you start coding again you kinda really need to recall what you were doing last.

Will be much appreciated if this will be inside Studio.

Any thoughts?
Nadav "Haliop" Rosenberg
Lets make the world great forever.

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2020 08:20
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
Quote: "You know this moment, where you leave coding for a few days and you kinda forget where you were last time?"

Nope. I don't know that at all!

If your memory really is that bad and you need to be reminded of what you were doing last, then why not leave a comment at the top of your main.agc file?

That would solve the problem that only you have and leaves the Studio developer to concentrate on real problems

haliop787
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: With reality.
Posted: 21st Jul 2020 08:08
Its not a problem per say, but a neat feature which will take me 5 minutes to accomplish if i had the studio dev blocks...

Its just a suggestion...
Nadav "Haliop" Rosenberg
Lets make the world great forever.
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2020 08:19 Edited at: 21st Jul 2020 08:23
Android Studio does that. I only know this as I've just this second checked. Open a script in Android Studio, go to a line, make a change, close Android Studio and re-open and the file you had open will be on the line you were last at. You probably don't even need to edit the line you were at for it to remember this.

I only know this from checking a second ago so isn't something I've ever noticed or relied on and found useful. However it would take the AppGameKit Studio dev team probably a few minutes to implement something like this if people find it useful. I guess all they need is a flag hidden in the project that is updated constantly that's remembering the last file you had open, and the last line you were at. If you've got multiple projects open then perhaps the hidden flag is best hidden in Studio and not inside each project. I've never relied on it, but it's a quick win for someone that does.

Studio seems to already do something like this. It seems to remember roughly where you were on each file, but doesn't remember the last file you had open before shutting down. It seems to jump to possibly the last file in the project each time if the file is open.

@haliop, you're probably better off putting the suggestion on GitHub, and maybe give some examples of other IDE's where this happens. Android Studio is one if you haven't got it to test. VS Code seems to do it too. I don't think it should be a little window that shows where you were last at though, and instead it just takes you there naturally when Studio opens. Like the two I just mentioned. An alert window would annoy many I'm sure.
OryUI - A WIP AGK2 UI Framework
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2020 02:54
Quote: " "You know this moment, where you leave coding for a few days and you kinda forget where you were last time?""

When coding in AKG and I'm finishing up for the night I will leave a few random characters of text where I was last working to cause a compile error, next time I open the project I hit run and get taken right to where I was working last and "Ah, that's what I was doing"

One feature in PureBasic I absolutely love and massively overuse is the issue browser, simply add a comment, a keyword and a colon " ;TODO: revisit this code for ... bla bla", the line gets highlighted and added to the side pane and clicking an item opens the file and jumps to the line where the marker is, different keywords can be configured "BUG", "TODO" etc, it is the ultimate project wide bookmark system.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 14:57:48
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 14:57:48