Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / [SOLVED] Sound file formats and settings?

Author
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2020 12:16
I have a pack of a couple hundred .ogg files and some play in AppGameKit and some don't, In the Studio editor the ones that play show an icon in the preview area and a whole bunch of them don't show any icon its more like a huge button that does nothing and these sounds refuse to play when loaded into the game.

I remember having problems like this in GameMaker and the solution was to simply load them up in Audacity and re-export but this does not seem to fix the issue in AppGameKit, exporting as .wav however does fix the sound and AppGameKit is happy to play them.

Are there any particular settings that must be used when exporting .ogg for AppGameKit?

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2020 14:00
Apologies for positing a non-answer reply, but I have used Audacity to convert MP3 to OGG and have had no problems playing from AGK. There doesn't appear to be anything outside of a quality slider for options when exporting to OGG. Does going OGG -> WAV -> OGG in Audacity clear the file by saving as raw and then back to the ogg container? I remember an MP3 "uncooker" program back in the early days of that container which I think did the same thing of going to raw and back.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2020 15:14
Quote: "Apologies for positing a non-answer reply"

Hey no problem, any input is good input.

Quote: "Does going OGG -> WAV -> OGG"

No, i even tried OGG >> WAV >> MP3 >> OGG as well but no joy, both the WAV and MP3 play just fine.

I have noticed when opening the dir in explorer it takes an age to load the files so now I'm wondering if its a system codec issue.

Anyway the WAV works just fine and the files are tiny sfx so I can live with the slightly larger footprint, its kb's at the end of the day, just would have been nice to preview the sounds in the editor.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2020 22:58
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2020 01:05
This is happening on desktop, in the Studio IDE, I did try making them mono but to no aval, I also tried several different converters but all with same results.

The audio is from one of Kenny's packs, has anyone else had issues with Kenny audio?
jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2020 15:29
Quote: "The audio is from one of Kenny's packs, has anyone else had issues with Kenny audio?"

I happen to have a few Kenny packs downloaded and they all show icons ok in the media browser but I'm not actually using any of the OGG I am kind of OCD and immediately created the "cleaned" folder with them all converted to WAV to match the rest of my assets...

Heavens
Years of Service
User Offline
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
I done a couple of tests if the ogg file is under 0.5 seconds long then I get the same as PartTimeCoder.

It’s something TGC need to look in to for a real fix the files themselves are fine.

You can continue to use wav files or add silence to the end of each ogg file to extend the length beyond 0.5 seconds.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2020 19:35
@Heavens

Thanks for the clarification, at least now I know why they don't work, I'll be using .wav from now on then.

@jd_zoo, yes thay load in the browser just fine but try and preview the sound?
jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2020 17:40 Edited at: 13th Aug 2020 17:40
Quote: "yes thay load in the browser just fine but try and preview the sound?"

Ah yes you are correct it is hit-and-miss what ones will play. Kudos @Heavans I can confirm your findings with a quick check - tracks that are ~0.7s preview ok, anything < ~0.52s do not preview. My converted WAV folder plays all regardless.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2020 00:07 Edited at: 14th Aug 2020 00:24
44100 HZ is critical

16 bit PCM - Mono ... is what I use (stereo should be okay too), but changing that HZ can be disastrous.

Quote: "
tracks that are ~0.7s preview ok, anything < ~0.52s do not preview"

OGG is for MUSIC, and I cannot imagine a song that short.

SOUND effects should be WAV anyway, and I can imagine plenty of them being that short.

No need for OGG conversion for WAVs that small. (sound effects less than 1 second)

Quote: "
It’s something TGC need to look in to for a real fix the files themselves are fine."

IMO, TGC has this set up fine for our needs, and I think Paul would be spending his precious time better on other things, but again, that is just my opinion.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2020 14:13
Quote: "No need for OGG conversion for WAVs that small. (sound effects less than 1 second)"

The Kenny sound packs are distributed in OGG format. I myself convert them to WAV for all sound effects and leave OGG for music files like you say. This will likely come up for anyone that plans to use a Kenny pack as-is.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 06:20:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 06:20:03