Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Where's all the graphics cards?!?!?

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2021 04:10
What's with the GPU shortage and will it ever end? Can't find a 3060 anywhere on this planet, yet I can find a youtube video of spoiled rich kid who has 18 3080 powering a bit-mining rig in the back of his bmw!
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2021 03:34
I can't remember if it was Nvidia or other who said the shortage was due to selling all their stock to console manufacturers, to keep up with scalper demands.
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2021 03:51
Tell me about it... I had planned to upgrade my rig this year., with a Zen 4th Gen CPU (Ryzen 6 5600) and RDNA 2.0 GPU (RX 6800)
And even when you can, they're at inflated prices; and given that frankly I think the MSRPs are already ridiculous.

We have another (ridiculous) Cryptocurrency Gold Rush., with this time Scalpers as well and more limited supply.
Now if this was the first time this happened; sure you could accept it's an unforeseen situation., but as it stands... it's now just stupid.
AMD (at least) have proven they can push out a Driver that specifically targets Blockchain Performance (specifically to decrease / increase) for their Architecture.

I don't understand why they don't deliberately push out Drivers or better still Microcode that detects Blockchain usage and cripples the performance, such-as limiting Retail Cards to Idle Clocks (6MHz in the case of RDNA)
Then sell "Blockchain Ready" Chips, with said Microcode removed at a premium.

As that would do one of two things., either a) Result in Higher Profit Margins; or b) Result in Cryptocurrency Miners buying Resale (Previous Generation) Cards, which would in turn mean more people selling up their old cards and upgrading to the Newer Cards.
In regards to Scalpers... be it 3rd Party., well open up the Website Sales to focus specifically on people who ALREADY own an existing Card and using the Hardware ID of said card (each GPU/CPU has a unique Hardware Signature, it's used for things like fTPM) being limited to 1 Purchase using said ID as their access to said purchase of the next gen (and once used, well it'd be delisted); or if it's 2nd Party (i.e. Retailers) then those inflating above MSRP (same with 1st Party, AIB) then they get a more limited supply of the GPU.

I mean they'd stop pretty quickly if their competition was suddenly getting the lion's share of order supply.
As it stands, I'm just going to wait until the Next Gen; and either get the Hardware as Cryptominers sell it off at bargain basement prices (which they did with the RX 480/580; I mean those were floating around for like £100 - 120 following the Crypto crash; 8-10months after the boom; which were £180-240 MSRP... and the condition from a Miner is frankly akin to getting a Car that literally sat in the Company Car Park for a few years; sure it's "Used" but barely.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2021 16:12
Quote: "I don't understand why they don't deliberately push out Drivers or better still Microcode that detects Blockchain usage and cripples the performance, such-as limiting Retail Cards to Idle Clocks (6MHz in the case of RDNA)
Then sell "Blockchain Ready" Chips, with said Microcode removed at a premium."

I like that idea, but from a business standpoint why would they go through the trouble of maintaining two different instruction sets when they're selling everything at inflated premiums already? I hate cryptocurrency, it's a stupid idea. I just read that Florida was trying to pay state workers in bitcoin. I'd quit if someone tried to pay me in a volatile digital currency backed by nothing.

I was looking forward to the 3060 mini-itx ASUS had coming out. With a case only 8" deep, upgrading a GPU has limited options for me.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 12:08:05
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 12:08:05