Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / New to AppGameKit

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2021 00:04
Hi. Many years ago, in the early 1990's I started programming with STOS on an Atari 1024 STFM. I started working on a game then moved to a PC clone and the game idea was dropped. Since then I've programmed in Visual Basic , but the idea of creating the game I never finished has stayed. Several years ago I bought Gamemaker, but although made an attempt to get into game making didn't appeal as I love coding. Then a health setback, throat cancer, two severe cases of sepsis, then a heart attack, meant that my interest in most things waned. Over the past four years I've dabbled in Unreal, Clickteam Fusion and a couple of other game engines.. In 2019 I purchased AppGameKit, but my brain just couldn't get around the syntax of the BASIC language.
My daughter recently asked about the old STOS game idea I had long ago... and why don't I create it again in some other game engine that was on special on Steam, but didn't think and RPG creator it would fit what I was doing. But... I did see that AppGameKit had a newer version, AppGameKit Studio, so I bought it, and to cut the long story short, here I am... And believe it or not I have been able to string along a few lines of code to get things working. I also sleep better

Anywho... the first attached picture is my first attempt at an 'Invaders' type clone started last Sunday. I spent a couple of days on it until I hit a snag when I wanted to use the timer function to blow up the remaining asteroids one by one in spectacular fashion after the player dies... But so far no luck... So... I set up a new project to experiment with the timer and have ended up with the second picture... I don't call them games at this stage as it is me getting my head around the language, which thanks to my Visual Basic background, have found it not as hard as I expected... It took a whole day to get the 1st, 2nd, third, and fourth ranking positions of each car to update the ranking against the driver...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Colonel_Klink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2021 08:59
New screenshot. Created new car sprites and track.
We are now fully operational - that is, we are in a constant flap instead of having isolated confused situations.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2021 00:40
As test projects go they look fantastic, nice going.

Like you I have jumped from platform to platform and have come to realize there is no 'perfect' solution, AppGameKit appeals to the coder in me but I do like the workflow benefits of Gamemaker and such apps, having to build an engine for everything I make becomes a bit tiresome but using GoDot for example while mega powerful and packed with features it feels like cheating lol.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 14:31:49
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 14:31:49