Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / GameGuruMax, AGK and other products in one Discord

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2021 07:27
I was going to mention this on the AppGameKit discord but didn't want to tag TGC staff at 7:20 am on a Saturday so that they'd see it, so decided here would probably be best.

I just wanted to say that if TGC create another discord for GameGuruMax then perhaps it would make a lot more sense to instead change the AppGameKit one to a more centralised one for all of their products.

They could have a category for each of their products and a number of channels within each category for general chat, work in progress, and showcase etc.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2021 14:47
Is it just me that finds Discord a hot mess, I cant get my head round it, its like every conversation gets qwashed into one and I cant make head or tail of what's going on, I logon, look and leave with sore eyes!
n00bstar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2021 18:14
Quote: "Is it just me that finds Discord a hot mess, I cant get my head round it, its like every conversation gets qwashed into one and I cant make head or tail of what's going on, I logon, look and leave with sore eyes!"

You would've hated IRC back in the day! But yeah.. it's a mess.

The problem with large chatrooms is people who can't formulate concise ideas and communicate them succinctly. There's always this one guy who will post 88 single lines in a row instead of forming a god damn paragraph and posting just once. And of course the problem is only made worse with today's generation who would rather spend 60 minutes asking for an answer on 50 different platforms instead of spending 5 minutes googling it up themselves. Makes for a very tiring experience indeed
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2021 18:41
That's it in a nutshell!

Back in the day I did MSN and don't ever remember a single intelligible conversation, my FB feed was looking the same so I sacked it too, I thinks its something about social media that drains IQ points!
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2021 08:20 Edited at: 5th Aug 2021 08:25
Quote: "Is it just me that finds Discord a hot mess, I cant get my head round it, its like every conversation gets qwashed into one and I cant make head or tail of what's going on, I logon, look and leave with sore eyes!"

To be honest a Discord server the size of the TGC one that is mainly used by the same small number of people isn't that hard to keep up with if you visit it once or twice a day. I now visit the Discord server more than I do the forum because it's more convenient. A server with 10,000+ users can be really hard to keep up with, but those tend to have a lot more channels and you'd probably stick to a few specific channels and mute the rest. Sometimes it's quicker to get help on the Discord server, but you have to keep in mind the limitations when sharing code, and code formatting etc. so it's good for getting help on a problem with say a small function, or a math/formula problem. The forum is better if you need to share more code.

I think it would be daft if TGC created another Discord for GameGuru Max and the next product they work on afterwards. I know they didn't originally create the AppGameKit discord server, but they should add other products to it before a user creates a seperate one for GameGuru Max, and they take ownership of that one and end up managing two or more servers.

Also Discord have now introduced a feature called threads which would suggest you can start to organise and group specific messages in a single channel to a thread making it easier to find chat about a specific topic. I've not seen this in action yet though so hard to say how well it works.
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2021 22:14
Quote: "You would've hated IRC back in the day! But yeah.. it's a mess."

I hope you don't mean the TGC IRC., because it was ONLY a hot mess whenever one of the Team made a rare visit to do an AMA and Question Bots would have to be setup to make sure they weren't instantly bombarded with a sea of questions and chat moving too quick to follow as 50 - 100 ppl would descend just to get some sense of feedback from SOMEONE who had an idea about WTF was actually going on.
Still that only happened for what like an Hour every 6 months., the rest of the time it was either the same 8 - 10 of us with it constantly on in the background until we either needed feedback on an idea, code, etc. or we were bored and wanted to shoot-the-breeze; and every so often Dark Mouse would come online; and start an argument with me over whatever bee was in his bonnet that day (that guy REALLY hated me, but also couldn't just leave me the heck alone).

Although fun fact it's where the Podcast stemmed from., as effectively those on it were the regulars on the IRC Channel.
The Podcast was quite fun to do... talking about the various Regular Updates to Dark BASIC / Dark BASIC Pro... new Expansions... new Technology... etc.
Unfortunately when TGC began work on FPSC., and updates somewhat began to be sporadic; and we'd find we had to keep branching further and further out into a more generic "Games and Game Dev" Podcast; until we called it quits when we realise we were barely talking about TGC Products anymore.

I tell you what though., back in the day on IRC... we'd have killed for features like those that Discord has built-in.
Better Mod Control... Integrated Bot Support... Forum-Like Channel Hierarchy... Role Management... Access Management... etc.

Discord is an exceptionally useful Community Tool., when managed and maintained correctly.
I mean it could even be integrated with the Forums; so that topics talked about in the Discord could be pushed out as Threads on the Forum (or Reddit)
The problem a lot of Companies have is... well they never have anyone to maintain their Discord Server; instead they take a "Setup and Forget" approach, usually resulting in an unmitigated disaster.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2021 16:43
I know, I got a fantastic idea...

lets take the bug reporting away from the forum, the forum users don't need to know about bugs lets keep all that hidden away on a git page, also, lets make another forum, the current forum search is knackerd so you probably wont find what your looking for anyway so might as well dilute the useful info across multiple servers ....

I just don't see the point of taking steps backwards and calling it progress....

I know, I don't know when it happened, but I seem to have became a technophobe!!!
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 09:20:36
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 09:20:36