Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / arghhh, let me define dynamic globals!

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2021 20:19
Most irritating thing about AppGameKit for me is the fact I can't seem to have gobal dynamic variables/constants.

Given the following example, the constants are inaccessible from within a function. Using MAP_WIDTH inside a function will throw an error stating that "h" is not defined. Solution would be to make "h" global so it can reach function scope but of course you can't do that because a global must be a literal.

If I make h and w constants themselves, well then I can't use them to dimension an array because the constant will point to a function (getVirtualWidth) and you can't have that in an array definition. This is a very annoying limitation.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2021 21:48 Edited at: 25th Aug 2021 21:57
With the example you posted I would expect the behaviour you describe, typically a constant should be a static value but AppGameKit has this weird implementation where we can define an expression call it a constant, but when used this way it is not a constant, its is a macro.

The language is flexible enough to enable this duality which can come in very handy but the limitation is the duality itself, most languages demand a static value for array definitions as its a memory allocation problem, I understand your frustration but I also understand the dual purpose of the #Constant keyword will/does cause confusion and you also have to take scope into account, MAP_WIDTH gets replaced with w and if w is local or out of scope of the macro usage then I would expect it to throw an error

#CONSTANT MAP_WIDTH getVirtualWidth() / 64 << for example works fine as all values are inscope but it still can not be used to define an array because its morphed from a constant to a macro

Again I get it can be confusing but if you apply separation to the usage then it makes perfect sense.
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2021 04:00
You don't need the = for constants. Constants perform a simple substitution. In your case

w = getVirtualWidth() / 64
h = getVirtualHeight() / 64

#CONSTANT MAP_WIDTH w
#CONSTANT MAP_HEIGHT h

Referencing MAP_WIDTH like this;

abc = MAP_WIDTH

will substitute MAP_WIDTH for w and result in;

abc = w
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2021 04:12
I'm well aware of that, doesn't change the fact there's no simple way to define a calculated value for use within a function.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2021 04:18
i've just resorted to DIMing the array at what i'd consider max possible (that i'd want to support) then only using, say, w and h values.
for the most part i dont expect its wasting too much memory.
[My Itch.io Home] [Community Apps on Itch.io]
[AGK Resource Directory] [TGC @ GitHub]
[CODE lang=agk] YOUR CODE HERE [/CODE]
[VIDEO=youtube] VIDEO ID [/VIDEO]
[AGK Showcase][Google Forum Search]
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2021 12:42
Quote: "there's no simple way to define a calculated value for use within a function."

Sorry if I misunderstand, but, isn't that what global variables are for?

Quote: "i've just resorted to DIMing the array at what i'd consider max possible"

I usually just define an empty array and use .insert and for a grid array I use a single dimension and use (y*width+x) to get the array index from the grid x,y .. I find this is slightly faster
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2021 17:37
You can use a constant in the function, but wouldn't be able to use it to define an array:

So you're thinking, just make a global instead, right? Wrong. Global must be an integer literal or constant

And by constant, it really means literal because you can't assign a constant to a global, you'll get the same error still.

This is the only way I was able to get my constant value to work in both array allocation and for use in a function. But this also means I had to explicitly define the resolution. It's just an extra step I don't feel should be necessary.

The way AppGameKit treats constants is misleading, because it's not a constant at all.

For example, everytime you use MY_INT you'll get a different value. Maybe I needed the next integer for a specific object id and that'll never change for the remainder of the program, but can't do it this way since the constant maps to the function call rather than assigning the returned value.

Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2021 18:12 Edited at: 27th Aug 2021 18:22
Asking for a dynamic constant is a bit of an oxymoron, it can not be both a constant and dynamic, I agree that the AppGameKit implementation is misleading but you seem to be adding unnecessary confusion

Quote: "You can use a constant in the function, but wouldn't be able to use it to define an array:"

Yes, because when defined like that is is not a constant, its a macro, again misleading I agree, arrays must be defined with a static value so AppGameKit can allocate enough memory, if you want a dynamic array define it empty [-1] use .insert

Quote: "So you're thinking, just make a global instead, right? Wrong. Global must be an integer literal or constant"

Quote: "And by constant, it really means literal because you can't assign a constant to a global, you'll get the same error still."

a global can be anything if you define it right, static values can be assigned off the bat but dynamic values must be defined after the declaration, maybe this is causing your unexpected behaviour?

^^ both are valid, but each use case differs

To assign a dynamic constant (which is not a constant, its a macro) to a global

to assign a static constant (which is indeed a constant) to a global
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2021 14:49 Edited at: 28th Aug 2021 14:49
Since what you want is a global variable and not a constant, isn't the solution here to not try to make it a constant?
LynxJSA's web games/quizzes - LynxJSA's Android apps
AGK Resource Directory
"Stick to a single main loop (DO...LOOP) and loop through it every frame.
Do everything inside functions.
Use finite state machines to control your game.
Use lots and lots of source files.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2021 20:36 Edited at: 28th Aug 2021 20:37
@Phaelax ... OK, I stand corrected, you are right!

This should work, I see no reason why it does not as there are no scope issues

Quote: "main.agc:23: error: Variable "screen_height" is used without being defined or initialised"

It seems you can not define a macro-constant with another constant

this

and this

both work

Now I see what you are saying, I think for the future I will use constants for static values only and sack this macro-like behaviour because it does seem a bit hit and miss.
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2021 16:40
Quote: "Since what you want is a global variable and not a constant, isn't the solution here to not try to make it a constant?"

The resolution won't change once the game starts, therefore the map dimensions I calculate will never change once defined. To me, that is a constant. I guess it's more a semantic thing at this point. Perhaps "#constant" should be renamed "#macro" or something.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2021 17:56
Quote: "Perhaps "#constant" should be renamed "#macro" or something."

I agree, the #Constant keyword should be treated with the same definition restrictions as Global, and dynamic #Constants should be allowed only with the #Macro keyword.

Personally speaking, I would back a Kickstarter for AGK3 that dumps the custom scripting engine and opt for Lua, no other changes, no functions updates, just replace the language with something more stable and far more powerful.

AGK is a fantastic tool and the C++ side is faultless IMO, the best and easiest C++ game lib I have stumbled across but I use Basic for the 1 click compile for web, mobile etc so its very handy but the quirks can sometimes be very annoying.
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 14:40:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 14:40:14