Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Faraway - top-down survival game

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK
Posted: 4th Dec 2022 11:45 Edited at: 16th Mar 2024 14:09
Faraway: On Lost Isles is a 2D top-down survival/adventure game in development, for Windows, Mac & Linux.

Some of the features the game has include:
- Randomly generated islands to play on.
- Collect & gather resources, use them to craft items & tools.
- Survive by maintaining health, hunger and comfort. If you play on hard mode, you have to maintain thirst as well.
- Progress through different tiers of tools/items to unlock items & upgrades.
- Collect ingredients, hunt animals and/or make your own farm. Cook food, process it, bake etc.
- Build structures and objects using a grid system.
- Build houses with a carpentry tool, both exterior and interior building. Customize the textures of the walls and flooring, and even paint your walls.
- Hint system will help you learning the game mechanics, and a tutorial world is also included.
- Day/night system with help of the L2D Light System by baxslash.
- Monsters appear at night, create a base to avoid them or fight them back.
- Find creatures around the island to hunt, and some might hunt you back! They can also be lured using a special food item.
- Animals can also breed, producing offspring!
- Find structures around the islands to explore, and even maybe a way to a new island..?
- Make electrical generators and components to add functional lights to your home, or even automation.
- Find and adopt a pet animal which can fight by your side.
- Full custom keybinding + controller support.*

Controller support is Windows only at the moment.
It does not have support for various text inputs in the game. There are a small amount of these, and you have the possibility to skip them.
A future update will include the possibility to play the game with full controller support.

Planned features:
- Even more islands to explore & build on with different biomes. (id1.x)
- A better 'night skip' when sleeping, where crops grow etc. (id1.x)
- Armor system (id1.x)

Download in-development version 1.2.1:
Faraway itch.io page
(For Windows, macOS & Linux. Install instructions provided on the itch page!)

Screenshots

With artwork by Butter Milk, final boss blues & MegaTiles.

This game uses the L2D Light System by baxslash, HealthBar Include by PartTimeCoder and AGK Color Picker by Digicode Labs / Kevin Cross.

(Post last updated: 16. march 2024)
Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks cool, reminds me of game I used to play years ago.

virtualvillagers

If you can make it anything like that I would play it for hours.

Good job/

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2022 14:21
i've played this early offering and there's a lot of fun going on already and i'm loving it.

thanks for including Save right away as i plan on revisiting often

meanwhile, if you're not using Box2D for this, consider it. if you need a hand implementing, let me know.

finally, i'd love to see it in HTML

keep up the good work!
ReFure
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2022 17:00
Game_Code_here:
Thank you! Haven't heard about that one before, cool. For this game it'll be that you control one player only. (The original plan was to make movement grid based like in old snes rpgs, but it was more fun to let the player walk free, and keep grid to the build part.)

Virtual Nomad:
Thank you so much! Very glad to hear you like it. Yes, I think it's important to start early with a save/load system so you don't have to come back later on and rewrite a lot of stuff. I also focus a lot on making future versions support old save files, so you can always come back to your save after a new update etc. And yes, Box2D is already being used here. (heavily!)

I'm gonna do some tests on a HTML5 version maybe for the next update. If things work as they should it'll be no problem getting it up and running - just need to make a HTML5 save system. I did that for my other AppGameKit game so it shouldn't be too hard.

Thanks again both of you!
Dark_ITheI _Angel
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks interesting, people love crafting games like portia or 2d styles, my women play such games on a daily basis. Once you have the system in place i see no problem making it a full sellable game.

I would be honest and say the graphic style isnt much of my taste, the art is heavily lacking sometjing interesting or beautiful to look at but its very early like yOu say so i assume its going to change.

Hope you get there!

Animals
Bio Fox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2022 02:51
Just downloaded your game and tried it out. You have a great, cohesive art style here that I could see becoming endearing with some extra polish. I also liked the music ad overall the game ran well. A couple of thoughts I had after a few minutes. The controls were a bit difficult to wrap my head around- meaning I had difficulty navigating the menus and figuring out how to build, etc. A simple thing like going down on the build menu took me a while to figure out. Also, the enemy pathfinding zeroed in on me HARD so that I had to cheese combat a bit by putting a tree in between me and the attacking mushroom.

You're off to a great start! I'm excited to see what else you do with this project. Good luck!
Blue Herb Software - http://www.blueherbsoftware.com
ReFure
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2022 16:59
Dark_ITheI _Angel:
Thank you for the comments, appreciated!

Bio Fox:
Thank you for the comments as well and also for downloading and playing!

I agree on the controls. I started out trying to make the controls as simple as possible, but with so many systems, it got more difficult. They can be a bit frustrating to me as well. Noted your comments down!
I am planning to explore how to make the controls more simpler, and especially: introducing them to the player for the first time.

As of now, I only included a simple control screen you can press while either free-roaming, or in the build / crafting menus. (to open this, press F2). It also updates the keys based on if you've customized the controls in the options menu.

On the pathfinding, haha - yep, it is very very simple at the moment. Planning to expand it a lot more in the future. Though, I really appreciate the comments and i've noted things down!
Bio Fox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2022 20:35
Glad to provide some feedback! I'll check back in at some point and see how you're progressing.
Blue Herb Software - http://www.blueherbsoftware.com
ReFure
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2023 23:25 Edited at: 25th Jan 2023 22:40
Alpha 1.1 is soon to come - been tackling a lot of hard-to-find bugs and adding some new functionality like:
- a proper hint / tutorial system in-game, will replace the guidebook
- animals can now move through map pieces, and also follow the player if the player has a lure food item.
- animals can now breed and produce offspring
+ many other new functions, some items, a build + a new animal.

For the bug fixes: creatures now finally save properly, as do item drops!
+ many more fixes..

Here's some teaser screenshots, the update should be ready in a day or two - just need some last testing first
I've also put new screenshots in the first post here, and on itch.

EDIT:
Will hold on releasing the alpha until i've gotten the Mac app signed properly, it might be ready till the weekend.

Hint system:

Animal breeding:
ReFure
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2023 15:41 Edited at: 30th Jan 2023 18:08
Alpha 1.1 is now out for Windows, macOS & Linux!

As AGK:S now has M1/ARM support, the mac build is now universal supporting both Intel and M1 computers.
I've also included a linux build of the game for download, tested running on Linux Mint 21.

Downloads can be found on the itch.io page. I've updated the first post aswell.

Changelog
FEATURES:
- Added proper in-game hint / tutorial system.
- Added animal breeding. Animals of the same race can now breed on their own by staying close to each other, producing offspring.
- Added new build: Shelter. One-time use 'bed', requires leaves & sticks.
- Added new item: Foodmix. Can be used to lure animals.
- Added new item: Bones. Drops from skeletons.
- New animal: Cow
- New save system. (old saves will be converted)
- Item drops now save properly on each map piece.
- Creatures can now move through map pieces.
- Monsters can now be ran away from.
- Scared animals will now turn normal again after a while.
- Ability to change the player view distance (zoom).
- Changed the crafting recipe for fences.
- Chicken can now drop feathers at various times.
- Potatoes now drop randomly from harvesting a flower (with a hoe).
- Slime drop rate is now a bit higher.
- Player collision tweaks and adjustments.
- Update log now available in menu + hint options.
- Added scripting system for scripting console commands.
- AI tweaks.

BUG FIXES:
- Fixed creature saving, now creatures save properly on each map.
- Fixed a problem where having multiple of the same built object would return in only being able to interact with one of them.
- Tooltip gets properly removed when exiting build/crafting menus.
- Fixed missing category number on workbench / foodbench.
- Health bar now returns on every load if it was present.
- Fixed a bug where some textures would spawn up to the left of the map, causing others to become invisible.
- Fixed beer craft recipe to use wheat and not carrots.
- When loading a game, placed objects do not spawn "under" carpenter walls anymore.
- Fixed some sounds not working.
- Other small fixes.

macOS:
- Native support for Apple Silicon (M1) computers.
- Disabled controller on Mac for the moment as AppGameKit has removed support for it. (unsupported library)
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2023 00:44
that's a lot of progress, ReFure. i'll try to find some time soon and give it another run.

meanwhile, congrats and keep up the good work!
ReFure
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2023 19:45 Edited at: 7th Feb 2023 23:40
Thank you very much VN Excited for your thoughts on the new version!

EDIT: Uploaded two hotfix updates to fix some critical bugs. 1.1.2 is now available for download on itch.

Changelog:
- Fixed a depth issue with farmland and built floors.
- Fixed a bug where lights would not delete properly, and sometimes return an error.
- Fixed not being able to use the portable mill.
- Animals will now try to stay on their own maps and not wander off all the time.

Nic
ReFure
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2023 21:09 Edited at: 12th Mar 2023 21:13
I've been working alot during my spare time on the game and I thought I would share some of the new improvements and features coming in the next update.

New resolution fixes:
Support for 16:9 and 16:10 monitors is now in the game. Took some re-writing to get everything responsible, but it came out looking good!
There has also been some UI changes to every menu to make them take less screen space.

Expanded inventory:
Three new inventory slots, and chests now store 5 items instead of 4!

New island:
There will be an ability to fix up a bridge in the next update to progress to a new island. This new island has new creatures, items, builds, and a whole new biome / season. You can go between the two islands at any time.
As you can see, the new island has proper terrain (not flat edges). This is also the same for the starting island, so the whole terrain has been re-done there as well.

Weather:
Weather added into the game, so now it can start raining - or thunderstorms might appear.

(The ground looks really plain here, that's because the grass design for the starting island is not complete yet.)

Cellar:
You can now create a cellar in the game, this is currently limited to only one cellar per island - but it's enough for now. You can build freely, and monsters will not spawn down there.

-

i'll share a few of the tools, items and builds coming in the update as well:

1. A new weapon: Bow ! Finally a ranged weapon! You can have different arrows, for now there are only standard and poison arrows but more are planned.

2. A new paintbrush tool will allow you to paint certain walls and floors. You can choose the color of the brush using a 'Paintbench' (new build).

3. A new build called "Barrel" will allow you to store 10 items.

+ much more... don't have a date for this update yet - but trying to get it done by easter, then do a testing period before releasing it public!

Nic
Devil_d0g
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, love the art direction and the game itself. Would pay to play a full release for sure. Top down is one of my favorite in the business.
Controller support is a very good implementation in a game like this. I'll keep an eye on this for sure.
ReFure
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2023 10:09
Thank you very much for the comments, it's very encouraging! Still working on this a lot, just a lot of new systems taking time to shape and fix up. And yes, controller support is important for me too, I need to try to write a plugin myself for Mac to implement controller support as the built-in controller support has been dropped on Mac.
ReFure
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2023 00:05 Edited at: 27th Jul 2023 00:19
It's been a while since i've shown some progress here, so I thought I would share some new screenshots atleast. Still working on this, update is just taking some time to get finished.

In the new update, you can now freely customize walls and floors. You can use a Mixer to change the selected texture, and then apply it using a Trowel.
You can also see some new features, like help for the controls on the left side (this is now in every 'menu', and can be toggled on / off) + new stat icons & reposition of the HUD down to the left.

Structures like abandoned buildings & hideouts + more now generate on the islands. Faster random generation is also in place.
You can also now pin recipes to the screen to remember what you need to gather to create / build a certain thing. (see lower right side of the screenshot)

More information coming as soon as I have it but I hope to have the release done in August, at least.
ReFure
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2023 21:07 Edited at: 3rd Oct 2023 22:26
NEW VERSION OUT!

After a long time in development, version 1.2 is now released. This is a huge update to the game, which improves a lot of the current systems + adds a lot of new, cool stuff.
Thanks to everyone here who have played and given me feedback, it has been very supportive!

Builds for Windows, Mac & Linux are available over at itch.io. I have optimized them to support the itch-app, so if you have that feel free to download it through that.

If you have a chance to check it out, I hope you enjoy the new update. Please let me know of any bugs or anything that can be improven, if you can. Thanks!

Changelog:
- Reworked GUI + support for 16:9 and 16:10 aspect ratios.
- Brand new island to discover, with new unlockables, builds, items, animals & creatures.
- Onscreen control help for menu / build / craft / inventory modes, for both keyboard and controller.
- Cats are now introduced, which you can find in a certain place. Can be tamed as pets, and given orders and will defend you. They like to sleep on pet beds and really enjoy fish.
- Electricity is introduced, which is unlockable as you progress. Connect different power sources to create electricity, and use it to power lamps or move items from one container to another.
- Carpentry system overhauled, you can now customize textures of walls and flooring using a Trowel. You can use a new item called Mixer to change the textures for the Trowel.
- Redesigned start island with new terrain.
- Some builds may now be placed only on water.
- Sprinting is introduced.
- New stats: Comfort & Thirst.
* Comfort gets filled up every time you sleep. Sleeping in better conditions (such as a bed over a shelter) grants you higher comfort. Increased comfort allows you to consume less food when sprinting and performing tasks.
* Thirst is only enabled if you select hard difficulty when creating a world. Maintain your thirst by crafting different waterskins and filling them near water or at wells.
- Weather system is introduced. Rain and thunderstorms may now appear.
- Build mode now has four categories for builds. ‘Carpentry Tool’ is removed and replaced by ‘Carpentry Set’, which unlocks the carpentry category. ‘Cropbox’ is removed completely.
- Ranged weapons are introduced, craft a bow and arrow to defend yourself from afar.
- You can now build a cellar to your home, which allows you to have an underground cellar to build in.
- Partial mouse support added (for menus). Can be turned off for fullscreen in options.
- Added a tutorial map which introduces the basics of the game + more advanced systems.
- Animated water tiles.
- New music, sounds & ambience.
- Clay added to random generation.
- Structures added to random generation. This can be various things from enemy camps, treasure chests and questrelated structures.
- Sharp Flint introduced, replaces flimsy flint axe. Craft it by standing near any rock on the map and using a flint in your inventory.
- You can now move multiple items at once in containers.
- Throwing an item into water will now destroy the item.
- Night creatures now get hurt in the daylight.
- New visual effects.
- You can now walk behind most tall objects.
- Trees and rocks now require multiple hits to be destroyed (but do not cost more to destroy).
- Animals now have more movement phases.
- Longer daytime, shorter night time. Sunrise has also been added.
- Items now properly drop from the direction the player faces.
- Save system redone. Now you can rename your saves, and an image will be saved with every save which you can see ingame.
- Better collision for the map generator.
- Datafiles are now more readable and customizable for modding the game + new storytelling objects for custom maps.
- You can now sleep at sunset.
- New items: Bow, Arrows, Upgraded Tools, Fish, Pumpkin, Birch Wood, Gem, Gold, Flowers, Paintbrush, Color Palette, Bait, Trowel, Mixer, Flowers, Clay, Waterskins, Leather, Nails.
- New builds: Fish Trap, Refiner, Grill, Waterwheel, Compressor, Cable, Mover, Emitter, Wall, Floor.

Bug fixes:
- Performance fixes.
- Spionglas will not view out of bounds anymore.
- Animals should not stack up at the edges of the map anymore.
- Animals now spawn near your starting point as well.
- Fixed so you can craft in your inventory while near other interactable objects.
- Fixed some language errors in hints.
- Many more…

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2023 23:08
smerf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2024 18:55
Bump, Looks awesome can you make an android port for this?

ReFure
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2024 14:41
Thanks both of you. Very appreciated! Haven't had much time lately to work on this (and I still need to create a trailer for it), but yes I have some mobile plans in the works for the future.
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2024 20:03
If you need help for a server side and multiplayer and some Android ad Hoc AppGameKit fix, call me!!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2024 17:31
I like the tutorial idea, especially given the controls it was definitely helpful to figure out what to do. However, I coudn't get very far in the tutorial because I couldn't make a pickaxe. At the beginning it tells me to sharpen flint so i can cut trees. That doesn't last long, so when I came across a chest with 3 more pieces in it, I immediately crafted them into sharp flint. Well, considering those were the last rocks on the map I could not longer craft a pickaxe and was permanently stuck in that area. And since it auto-saves, I was unable to restart the tutorial at the beginning.

It would be nice if "space key" not only interacted with signs but pressing it again would close them too instead of having to swap over to press enter. There should be some kind of message if you attempt to pick something up but have a full inventory. Took me a few minutes to realize why I couldn't pick up an item. And lastly, consider putting the text above the map lighting effects. At night time, it's nearly impossible to read the messages (see pic)

Overall, I like it and would probably play more if I didn't get stuck due to lack of initial resources. Personally, I would like to see mouse support for clicking on menus.

Can just barely see "im hurt".

Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda
Pixel-Perfect Collision

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

ReFure
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2024 13:01 Edited at: 1st Mar 2024 13:23
Thanks Phaelax for checking out the game, and the great feedback. The tutorial should absolutely be better, or that you can reset chests / items etc. I am planning on making a reset chest thing, or just a chest that always has materials.. i'll figure that out. (If you would like to play the tutorial again and reset it, you can go to the savefile location (standard AppGameKit app write location), AGKApps/Faraway/media/ and then delete the "tutorial" folder there.)

I agree on all the other points, and I will fix that by the next update.

Main menu buttons should be clickable by mouse now, but I am assuming you mean in-game? (like craft, build) etc.? This is something I am working on with the planned mobile controls, so this will be avalible in the future sometime.

Thanks again!
ReFure
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2024 14:13

Update id1.2.1 is now out!

Some new features and a lot of bugfixes, basically. Thanks to Phaelax for pointing some of these out. Motivated me to get this patch done
Win/mac/linux downloads over at itch. They are optimized to work perfectly with the itch.io app if anyone has that.

Will get a proper gameplay trailer out as well in a little while.

Changelog:
- Added working path tile system for dirt paths and farmland.
- Added status box for the player. Will show when the player is hungry, thirsty, if you are trying to pick up an item but your inventory is full etc.
- Brown leaves and green leaves can now be used in the same craft & build recipes.
- Small improvements to the tutorial world.
- You can now use the interact key (default: SPACE) to close message boxes.
- You can now reset the tutorial by pressing BACKSPACE when hovering over it in the selection screen.
- Fixed so items now drop properly over dirt paths.
- Fixed some font & language errors.
- Fixed a bug which made foodmix not work correctly.
- Fixed so build/craft information screen icon would properly re-position when changing aspect ratio.
- Fixed bug where refining a gold ingot would give you a nugget instead of a shard.
- Fixed a bug where dropped items would duplicate when generating a new island.
- Added early tests of random terrain + map generation.
Note: This limits your world to one map only.
Hold F4 while creating a new world in the map screen to initiate the new map generator.
Drillfoot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2024 02:45
This is just great! I'll have to keep my eye on this for sure. The art direction and even game type is a must have for me. Keep up this great work! I look forward to seeing more.
// Comments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 14:28:35
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 14:28:35