Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / laptop operation heatsink paste / glue

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2022 20:21
Lately my laptop fan has been stepping up a few levels just from watching online videos. It didn't used to do that.
I want to open it up in about a week to clean out dust and apply fresh thermal paste.

I suspect I might need thermal glue as well.
Looking on ebay I see silver paste and silicon grease.

Any advice would be appreciated. What is the best stuff to use on CPU / GPU ?
I have worked on many desktops but this will be the first time I open a laptop.
Thanks.
BASIC appeared in May 1964. Lightning flashed, the wind roared and the Earth moved.
And nine months later I was born.
So here I am.
I am Basic.
Code is in my genes.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2022 18:07 Edited at: 5th Dec 2022 18:13
Arctic silver is a pretty common choice. I think it's what I used recently myself. Never had to reapply it to a laptop but I wouldn't think it'd be any different. I'd guess laptops would have higher thermal constraints so choose a quality product. When the price for the good stuff is only a few bucks more than the cheaper brands, why risk going with an unknown brand. Arctic silver has a 5-star rating with 20k reviews on amazon, hard to argue with that.

Here's a recent article testing a whole bunch of brands.
https://www.tomshardware.com/best-picks/best-thermal-paste
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda
Pixel-Perfect Collision

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

ando
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2022 21:28
Thanks Phaelax. That does look like it's the good stuff.
Just ordered Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Thermal Compound 3.5g CPU Cooling Paste for AU$15.

Easily worth it to help my old quad core lappy to survive an Aussie summer that's just starting to kick in.
BASIC appeared in May 1964. Lightning flashed, the wind roared and the Earth moved.
And nine months later I was born.
So here I am.
I am Basic.
Code is in my genes.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 07:55:44
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 07:55:44