Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / [SOLVED] Help needed: Zorin Linux (Ubuntu 64bit) installation issues - libopenal

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2022 18:06
Hi,
I've owned AGK2 and AppGameKit Studio for ages but not really had time to really look at it. I've decided to give it a spin over the Christmas break, but I'm having a bit of a problem when trying to get it to work on Linux. Works fine on my Mac and Windows laptops.

I'm trying to install AGKStudio (non-Steam) on 64bit ZorinOS 16.2, which is a ubuntu-based distribution. I unzipped the latest (AppGameKitStudio-2022.06.27-Linux.zip) into my Downloads folder, then copied the extracted AppGameKit folder to /opt where I have other dev tools (eg several Jetbrains IDEs)

When I cd into /opt/AppGameKit and try to start the IDE using ./AgkStudio64, I get this error:

I tried:

I suspect that I am missing something obvious, maybe somebody could nudge me in the right direction? Thanks!

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2022 18:29 Edited at: 18th Dec 2022 18:36
complete guess since i know nothing about linux but the linux publishing guide may help (tho it's publishing, not installing).

from that:

sudo apt-get install libopengl1

seems to differ from your:

sudo apt install libopenal (disregardding the lib difference)

i dont know the difference between apt-get install and apt-get but it may matter?

meanwhile, i've posted the inquiry on the discord server for you (and some are publishing with linux, so... you're not alone); here's hoping someone who does know arrives soon, otherwise
eejit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2022 18:40 Edited at: 18th Dec 2022 18:43
Hello,
I don't have a similar distro up and running atm, but it sounds like you need to find out what package that library might be found in, and install that.
I think apt-file might help in this situation ? If you can get that installed and try something like: apt-file search libopenal.so.1 and see what that reports ?

It might be a -devel or some package like this that needs to be installed (I don't know offhand/have a way to confirm at the moment)

*** Ah stale view on the page, VN beat me to it - looks like sudo apt-get install libopengl1 is the ticket
ReFure
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK
Posted: 18th Dec 2022 18:41 Edited at: 18th Dec 2022 18:44
Seems like your error is based on OpenAL.. Try what VN suggested first incase OpenGL is not installed already. No clue if the OpenGL installation includes AL as well..if not, try this:
sudo apt-get install libopenal1

AGKS runs fine on my Linux Mint but the libraries came pre-installed with the distro.

(Edit: If all else fails, Paul suggested in 2014 for the Linux beta of AppGameKit to run: sudo apt-get install libopenal-dev)
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
SparrowhawkMMU
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2022 21:36
Thanks everyone - will try these out tomorrow and let you know
SparrowhawkMMU
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2022 15:47
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
Unfortunately sudo apt-get install libopengl1 fails too.

However, sudo apt install libopenal-dev did the trick and I have the IDE open, so thanks for that tip. I'll update later once I have something to compile on whether that works or not, but fingers crossed all good now.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
SparrowhawkMMU
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2022 13:31
With regards #817 (window pos not remembered), I can confirm that this is still the case. I resized the window, moved it to the bottom right hand corner of my desktop, and switched the view from project to debugger for good measure.

The window size was remembered, but neither the position nor the chosen view were. This is on Zorin 16.2 which is roughly equivalent to Ubuntu 20.04.

I'll try to check the others for you too in a couple of days, but right now my wife is politely reminding me that I should be packing for our trip to London in a couple of hours. Her priorities are all wrong
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2022 14:07
thanks for checking.

i've updated #817 to show it's still bugged.

sometimes issues are fixed & ideally the OP confirms but it's not always the case.

i try to help keep it all current and confirmed so no one is chasing shadows so the community's help with that is greatly appreciated.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 10:04:13
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 10:04:13