Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / [STICKY] Studio Version 2023.01.25

Author
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2023 11:34
I've uploaded a new version to Steam and the TGC downloads area with the following changes

- VSCode extension now has buttons in the top right for compile, run, broadcast, and debug
- VSCode extension now allows only one broadcast or debug session at a time
- Added support for BMP image files
- Added GetInAppPurchaseIsRenewing to return subscription renewal state on Android
- Removed support for Windows XP and Vista
- Removed 32-bit support on Windows
- Fixed a crash when creating a banner ad with CreateAdvert and then sending the app to the background
- Fixed DeleteAdvert not removing the banner ad
- VSCode extension code completion now suggests user functions and variables
- VSCode extension go to declaration now handles local and type varaibles
- VSCode extension hover now handles local and type variables
- VSCode extension go to declaration on an include path will now go to that file
- Removed joystick support on Mac due to unsupported library
- Mac version now compiles to both arm64 and x86_64
- Updated to MoltenVK 1.2.1 on Mac and iOS
- iOS and MacOS Tier 2 apps now require XCode 14 or higher
- Tier 1 Compiler is now faster at compiling large projects
- Compiler will output stats such as the number of lines parsed and language tokens generated
- Tier 1 Compiler will now be more thorough in finding undefined variables in functions
- IDE now reports up to 30 errors at a time, increased from 10
- VSCode extension now shows type variable suggestions when typing a dot
- VSCode extension now shows plugin command suggestions when typing a dot

Most of the new changes are to do with the VSCode extension which is now much more capable. Remember to install it from the .vsix file in the VSCode folder, since TGC have elected not to publish it to the marketplace.

Another big change is the Windows version is now 64-bit only. This simplifies the build process and I think there are very few instances of 32-bit Windows still out there. This is accompanied by the dropping of support for XP and Vista, which I think we supported longer than most people would have expected!

The Tier 2 projects on Windows have been updated to Visual Studio 2022, but the libraries should still be backwards compatible down to VS2015 if you don't want to upgrade.
W Red
Years of Service
User Offline
wow, Paul, this is really a big update that made a lot of useful, i'm proud of you
W.R
agkcoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2023 14:27 Edited at: 25th Jan 2023 14:38
Thanks Paul. Could you please check SetSoundInstanceBalance on Android doesn't work https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/228712 github #1029?
Also, if you could share any info about when the playsound() issue on Android will be worked on? Android github #680?

Thanks.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2023 14:53
Hi Paul, can you elaborate on this:

Quote: "Removed joystick support on Mac due to unsupported library"

I'm just jumping back into AppGameKit Studio these days and wondering if there's any other way to get a joystick to work? Thanks!

Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 25th Jan 2023 15:10
Great update!
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2023 15:16
Quote: "Could you please check SetSoundInstanceBalance on Android doesn't work"

Quote: "Also, if you could share any info about when the playsound() issue on Android will be worked on?"

Android uses an old sound library that probably needs replacing with a newer one, I don't know if there are any plans to work on this.

Quote: "wondering if there's any other way to get a joystick to work?"

It looks like GLFW (which is used on Mac and Linux) has added support for joysticks, so it's possible they could be supported that way.
ReFure
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK
Posted: 25th Jan 2023 15:42 Edited at: 25th Jan 2023 22:42
Thanks for the update, very excited to get into this. Hoping for the VSCode extension to work on Mac soon too

Though, there is an important problem with running native silicon/m1 apps, I cannot get them to run at all:

I can't open compiled (standalone) applications on Mac. I can test it fine in the IDE and all, but when running it as a standalone app - it gives me that the "application cannot be opened".

If I right click and choose to open it in Rosetta (without the M1/apple silicon/arm64 support), it works.
And of course it works in the IDE, because the IDE is running the Intel / Rosetta build of the app.

This means there is an issue with the arm64 universal build?
I am running on an MacBook Pro M1 Pro system, it should work.

Nic
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2023 16:21 Edited at: 25th Jan 2023 16:28
Quote: " there is an important problem with running native silicon/m1 apps"

It looks like Apple force arm64 apps to be signed, even if you created them. You will need to sign it with a Developer ID certificate. For example this command would sign it on my machine

If you wanted to distribute it to other people you will probably also need to notarize it.

Edit: It looks like you can AdHoc sign it without a certificate by using
but I don't think you could notarize that
ReFure
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2023 16:40
Thanks Paul. I'll get a developer account set up and build the player myself using xCode (following the tier 1 basic publishing guide in the docs).

Nic
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2023 17:15
I have modified the Mac build so that the IDE will now AdHoc sign all apps. You'll still need to resign and notarize it to distribute though.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2023 17:31 Edited at: 25th Jan 2023 17:34
paul,

do you have any tips for those of us still unfamiliar with VSCode as it relates to Studio?

i immediately installed the LIve Preview extension, for example, which was a great boon including ability to preview HTML Exports (while the Player continues to sporadically be omitted from various Updates). any other extensions that you consider Essentials?

and, any tips on creating a New AppGameKit project under VSCode from a Template? Currently, i'm creating a new project in the AppGameKit (Classic) IDE and then creating a Workspace from that folder within VSCode. there has to be a better way?

otherwise, the new additions to VSCode are a big step toward my using it reglarly but there are still a few things holding me back (including Export options and Help).
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2023 20:04
AGK Studio IDE is crashing when I hit the compile button. Client meeting tomorrow and need to get a prototype built so have reverted back to previous version. I'll try to give more detail tomorrow evening.
ReFure
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2023 22:47 Edited at: 25th Jan 2023 23:18
Coming here to report back that building the AppGameKit Player app using XCode + signing it went well. Runs fine on my M1 Mac now and other people's i've sent to for testing. (to get a more proper app launch "this app is free from malware" etc., notarizing is needed - but haven't done that yet). A lot of new stuff to wrap my head around but it worked in the end.

EDIT:
Notarizing finished now and the app it is ready for distribution. All works great

Nic
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2023 23:07
Quote: "any tips on creating a New AppGameKit project under VSCode from a Template?"

There doesn't need to be anything special in the folder for VSCode to use it as an AppGameKit project, just a folder containing a main.agc file is enough, it doesn't read the .agk file. If you want to run the debugger then you will need to add a debug configuration, but that is done in the VSCode IDE in the debug section. In the Debug section, under the button that says "Run and Debug" is a link saying "create a launch.json file", click that and choose AppGameKit Debugger, and it will automatically be populated with the necessary fields. You can then debug without making any changes to it. However the debugger is pretty minimal at the moment.

Quote: "HTML Exports (while the Player continues to sporadically be omitted from various Updates)"

I think that was just a skipped build step. I checked they were there this time.

Quote: "AGK Studio IDE is crashing when I hit the compile button"

I've not experienced this, what platform are you on? Did you install the new version over the top of an old one perhaps? If you are on Windows does the VSCode compile also crash?

Quote: "Coming here to report back that building the AppGameKit Player app using XCode + signing it went well"

Glad to hear it
psychoanima
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2023 00:22 Edited at: 26th Jan 2023 00:53
Since the update on Steam AppGameKit Studio won't open...

edit: apparently, problem with DirectX. Re-installing DX fixes the problem.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2023 01:27 Edited at: 26th Jan 2023 01:28
re: XINPUT error:
fubarpk on discord wrote: "
The problem was I had to change the steam setting from default
no old files needed"

not sure which steam setting they were referring to...
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2023 02:27 Edited at: 26th Jan 2023 04:29
Also regarding XInput1_3.dll:

That's not an error you should ever see nor should a dependency on that module ever be required for AGK. AppGameKit should not (and as far as I know, never has up to this point) have a dependency on old/outdated DirectX files like XInput1_3.dll, nor 1_1, 1_2, or 1_4. Most of those files are from 2006-2007 and should never be needed with a current development language.

AppGameKit should only require what comes with Windows 10/11 by default (and also both Win7 and 8 incidentally), which is XInput9_1_0.dll and no installation of old DirectX files (especially from a 2010 era installer) should be necessary. So hopefully, an old/outdated dependency wasn't introduced that doesn't need to exist.
brunuu
Years of Service
User Offline
great update

32bit support as long as it exists in AppGameKit classic is fine, it's always fun to compile a game and watch it run on old windows XP machines

But yes, in AppGameKit Studio it was no longer making much sense
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 26th Jan 2023 12:15 Edited at: 26th Jan 2023 12:59
After complete reinstall i changed settings to this from steam
fubarpk
https://fubarpk.itch.io/
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2023 14:07
The XInput issue looks like it was caused by updating to Visual Studio 2022 and the latest Windows SDK. Whereas before we could link to XInput.lib and have backwards compatibility we now have to link against XInput9_1_0.lib to get the same compatibility.

I have made this change and updated the Windows build files on TGC and Steam.
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Paul for the quick fix!
Sph!nx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2023 11:38
Thanks a lot!
Regards Sph!nx
Qube_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2023 04:29
With joystick support being removed on the Mac version, I assume it'll regain such features again in a later update?. Else it would seem a bit odd to not support joysticks in a 'game' based language
ReFure
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2023 09:53
For the IDE on Mac, if you try to run / compile a project that has an unclosed if statement, the IDE just crashes instead of giving an error. Can somebody try this on Windows and see if it happens there as well?

Nic
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2023 15:52
Quote: " if you try to run / compile a project that has an unclosed if statement, the IDE just crashes"

ouch. same here on WIN...
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 28th Jan 2023 16:44
That sounds like a nasty bug
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2023 16:47 Edited at: 28th Jan 2023 16:53
in VS Code, just typing "If" causes:

while crashing the language server...
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 28th Jan 2023 16:55
Is this bug just on studio or classic as well?
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2023 17:02 Edited at: 28th Jan 2023 17:18
Hi Guys,

I've noted this and I'll get someone to look at it as a matter of urgency after the weekend, unfortunately there are no AppGameKit Devs free until then.

For now, I'd advise going back to the last build while we address this.

Apologies to you all.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2023 17:03 Edited at: 28th Jan 2023 20:57
Quote: "Is this bug just on studio or classic as well?"

studio only. classic catches it normally

the same occurs for loops (of any? kind) or things that need "closing". Ie, typing While in VSCode will crash the language server. Trying to compile in VSCode (after the language server has crashed) and the error will be caught normally. Restarting VSCode (or reloading the folder, etc) and the language server is returned.

Trying to Compile/Run an open While (etc) will cause silent crash under the Studio IDE.

for steam users who want to roll back, find Studio in your steam Library, select the Manage icon, then Properties:

then select Betas and find the previous version (most-recent prior version is at the bottom of the queue):

you may also want to set Updates to only occur when launched (from within steam):

i dont launch from within Steam so i dont update automatically (which is what i'd recommend, for now).

if you didnt know already, you can launch studio from outside of steam via ide.exe under steam apps. ie:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\AppGameKit Studio\Ide.exe

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2023 01:21
Quote: "if you try to run / compile a project that has an unclosed if statement, the IDE just crashes"

Quote: "the same occurs for loops (of any? kind) or things that need "closing""

Thanks for the report, I've fixed and updated the builds.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2023 01:41 Edited at: 29th Jan 2023 01:49
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 29th Jan 2023 02:50
Wow! That was a quick fix!
ReFure
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2023 11:59
Thank you Paul!

Nic
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2023 09:43
Quote: "Thanks for the report, I've fixed and updated the builds."

I think that was the issue I had too. Thanks for sorting it so quickly! Although I've gone Tier2 for my latest project as needed some functionality not available in Tier 1 (Webview and Stripe SDK).
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2023 15:27 Edited at: 9th Feb 2023 16:26
Edit: Removed post as solutions and work-arounds were found.
Zappo
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2023 14:56
Quote: "Android uses an old sound library that probably needs replacing with a newer one, I don't know if there are any plans to work on this."

This worries me. I could really do with being able to use the SetSoundInstanceBalance command on all platforms in order to provide better accessibility in my newest game. By using audio balance and volume it makes it easier to tell where enemies are coming from and how far away they are. It would be a shame to advertise the feature for visually impaired players on all platforms except Android.
ReFure
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2023 11:51
Is there any news on the VSCode extension for Mac?

Nic
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2023 22:44
As mentioned somewhere above you can run AppGameKit studio without having Steam installed. I went into steam dragged the whole AppGameKit studio folder onto the desktop and then just click on the ide file . I deleted steam from my computer completely
and it still works great . The day just keeps getting better. Gonna reinstall steam now . Experiment over .
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 29th Mar 2023 03:36 Edited at: 11th Apr 2023 12:18
I have the TGC version and the Steam version and I always use the TGC version, I find it better for my low spec laptop.
3dzforme
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2023 06:09 Edited at: 12th Apr 2023 06:57
Morning, I just re-installed AppGameKit Game studio from my products downloads page. Picked the 32-bit version (I couldn't see a 64 bit version) as a FRESH install on a recently purchased laptop.

Then, I'd a problem whereby I'd to do the following, as reported in this other thread - please can someone advise where I went wrong, or if the version I downloaded may have an archaic library depedendency?

https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/229030

Perhaps I just didn't find a 64-bit version for download?

Just checkedmy download: It was this version: AppGameKitStudio-2023.01.25-Windows

As someone else responded, just concerned other users trying to use anything I compile with this would experience issues (I was under the impression, as I'd installed the DirectX web expereince on my laptop) it would 'bake / compile the neccessary libraries into the executable as I'd installed the DirectX WebUser to get AppGameKit Studio to start.

Rgds, 3DzForMe

EDIT: Please note, the date stamp on my Windows 64-bit AppGameKit Player is the 26 Jan 23 @ 1330.
3dzforme
Years of Service
User Offline

Some of the forum users have done some Stellar work on identifying the X_INPUT3.dll on the following post, please consider addressing in the next update as AppGameKit Studio fails to start without DirectX Web dll.

Then, I'd a problem whereby I'd to do the following, as reported in this other thread - please can someone advise where I went wrong, or if the version I downloaded may have an archaic library depedendency?

https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/229030
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 15th Apr 2023 12:46 Edited at: 15th Apr 2023 12:48
You are best contacting TGC directly about issues rather than via the forums as they don't seem to read any posts on here.

You could try posting on GitHub but they don't seem to use that either unfortunately.

Every time I have contacted them directly they have been prompt and resolved the issues I have reported.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2023 13:28 Edited at: 15th Apr 2023 13:31
since the X_INPUT3.dll issue continues to pop up since the JAN update, i forwarded a few links (here, steam and discord) to Dave (support) last night.

ideally the discussion is in one location (@ the repo) for a lone reference vs details scattered across multiple locations (or in private with TGC) since it seems to be affecting multiple users.
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 2nd May 2023 10:15
Aren't we due a new update?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 22:44:49
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 22:44:49