Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [ANNOUNCEMENT] Version 2023.01.26

Author
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2023 11:41
I've uploaded a new version to Steam and the TGC downloads area with the following changes

- Fixed Android export using the AppGameKit adaptive icon if only a legacy icon was supplied
- Added support for BMP image files
- Added GetInAppPurchaseIsRenewing to return subscription renewal state on Android
- Fixed a crash when creating a banner ad with CreateAdvert and then sending the app to the background
- Fixed DeleteAdvert not removing the banner ad

With AppGameKit Studio getting the VSCode extension, and the Geany IDE being open source, I'm going to recommend end of lifing AppGameKit Classic. It is getting increasingly difficult to build on Mac and basically doubles the amount of work when doing AppGameKit Studio as well.
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2023 15:55 Edited at: 27th Jan 2023 12:07
Hi Paul, I currently use Classic as there are things that I really don't like about Studio. I am trying the VSCode editor and can see it's potential but it's not as easy as Classic at the moment. If you end Classic support will you have more time to improve the Studio IDE and the VSCode extension? Out of the three options Classic is still the best for me and I know plenty of other users still prefer Classic but I do appreciate it is difficult to support multiple applications on multiple platforms.

Would it be possible to make the source code available for classic (copyright still TGC) as has been done with gameguru and gameguru max?

If it's just the Mac version that is difficult to compile you could always ditch that and continue with the windows version. I'm sure the Mac owners won't mind if it means classic support continuing......
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2023 17:33
Quote: "I'm going to recommend end of lifing AppGameKit Classic"

it's inevitable and i'm ready to go to studio whenever the fullscreen HTML issue gets fixed...
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Agreed. Simplifying/streamlining the development process for AGKS will be a better way to go, providing more time to support and open up new options for the latest version. The VSCode extension is very nice by the way
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2023 20:17
I see the folder for VScode, it is not within the Tier2 folder so my question is - what exactly is it? I don't see any obvious explanation in a text in said folder. No I don't touch Visual studio, however I am still curious seeing as it is not within the Tier2 folder and folk on forum keep mentioning it. I see mentions of additional buttons in changelog which makes me curious - does TGC have ability to change vs editor itself or something - or perhaps this is something else that works within AppGameKit?. Did someone at TGC forget AppGameKit initial focus is BASIC or does the sod em let em work it out for themselves attitude fall upon us once more? I believe at least a general basic explanation should be provided - in an obvious place. Forum search throws up nothing at all for me. Don't seem to be able to spot it in the helpfiles either manually or using search. I really don't see why Tier2 stuff is not within that folder so is it not tier2? Initially I thought it might just be a template for vs software environment but then I see those templates within tier2 folder. Confused to say the least.
Win 10 Home 64, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10300H, 8GB DDR4, NVidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6
brunuu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2023 23:29 Edited at: 26th Jan 2023 23:32
the visual studio code extension, it has nothing to do with tier 2, well, if you want you can use tier 2 in visual studio code, but it's not objective here
AGK has always worked in any other text editor, for example I use Atom (a text editor) with AppGameKit BASIC for 2 years now because there was no extension for visual studio but there was one for Atom

you can use BASIC from AppGameKit normally in visual studio code, just like the native editor that comes with the AppGameKit Classic
however VSCode is a very flexible editor, with a lot of customization
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2023 00:37
Thank you so much for the explanation, much appreciated. I have just set it up - TGC should defo add a little basic info in a text file as to what it is imho. I had thought it was going to be something else lol this seems pretty neat, think I will have a good old tinker sesh tomorrow again, thank you cheers
Win 10 Home 64, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10300H, 8GB DDR4, NVidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6
Qube_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2023 01:14
The Mac version of AppGameKit Classic hasn't worked properly with the latest version of MacOS for a few years now. The IDE is is super slow due to the old version of Geany it uses. Studio works great but there's no VSCode extension for MacOS.

Could be worth dumping the MacOS version of Classic but keeping the Windows side as many still use it?
Riusz
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm still using Classic version. Is there an offer with lower price to buy Studio version for the Classic version owners ?
Thanks
Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'm going to recommend end of lifing AppGameKit Classic"

Does this mean no more work on AppGameKit Classic?

And if so that is sad as AppGameKit Studio is hard to code in and to be honest is slow.

But congrats on a good product it works well as it is and do not see many things it needs to be honest.

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2023 11:28
Quote: "Would it be possible to make the source code available for classic"

The source code is available here https://github.com/TheGameCreators/AGKTier2

Quote: " Is there an offer with lower price to buy Studio version for the Classic version owners ?"

Unfortunately I don't think this is possible with Steam, but I highly recommend waiting for Studio to go on offer, it happens quite regularly with discounts up to 70%. You won't have to wait long.

Quote: "Does this mean no more work on AppGameKit Classic? "

Correct, although the decision is ultimately up to TGC.
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2023 11:37 Edited at: 27th Jan 2023 11:57
It would be good if you could keep the windows version of Classic as that is what most people use. I can't get used to Studio so unless the VSCode extension works well then my programming days with AppGameKit will probably be over

Can you build in the export options into VSCode as it would be a pain swapping between Studio and VSCode? Or perhaps make a standalone export tool that could be launched from VSCode?

Also, isn't the source code only for tier 2 not tier 1?

How about ditching Studio and updating the Geany editor for Classic?
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Supporting Windows only (and maybe the few other open platforms without chronically changing API requirements, notarizations, etc) would be one option and could be more viable, just providing maintenance updates to keep things working. But it's up to TGC to decide and if they determine that the time invested in it takes too much away from Studio, then it may only be feasible to drop it completely.
Parry
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2023 19:10
I agree with the decision to stop updating Classic. I actually been using a older version of classic for a while now for windows development, not bothering to update it. Also Apple and Android seem to update their products so often, I don't see how you been able to kept up let alone having to update two products for every update they release. I use studio anyway on the apple and android apps I developed.

With less time spent on doing two updates, maybe it will give more time to add some new commands or new platforms.
Counterparry
DarkDIRE RPG a roguelike game build with AppGameKit Tier 2
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2023 20:08
I would like to know if the decision to end support is confirmed - will the saved time be actually spent on Studio or will we be told it is not saved time, but time not wasted that is then lent to another product? I fear the latter.
Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
I guess we can always write our apps in classic and extract them in studio for The new API updates. Now that I think about it a bit classic is not going any where and it works well now. So writing in that to export in studio will still work.
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2023 14:32 Edited at: 30th Jan 2023 12:29
If the decision is made to drop Classic I just hope that the time saved is spent on improving the Studio IDE and making VScode a viable option and not spent on other TGC products....

Studio seems half finished to me.

The things I really don't like:

1.The random colour generator for the IDE, it seems impossible to get the colours I want.

2. The help system, the F1 help on Classic is way better.

3. The search feature isn't as good as classic.

4 The vertical scroll on the editor, I can't see the slider most of the time and it doesn't have the arrows in the the right hand corners to scroll up and down (no idea what this is called sorry)

There were lots of other niggly things but I haven't used Studio for quite a long time so have forgotten the other short comings.
DARKHALO2K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2023 07:34
I much prefer Classic. Studio's interface just isn't for me.

I mainly develop for Android, though Windows too.

At this stage, I'm not bothered about bug fixes, but updating to meet Google Play's requirements would be great.

I could adapt, but I'd rather not.

Either way, thank you for AppGameKit (Classic and Studio). It's a wonderful way to develop for multiple platforms and I've enjoyed my time with it (over 400 hours on Steam).
Arch-Ok
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2023 15:01 Edited at: 30th Jan 2023 15:01
Bad news for me.
Thanks anyway.
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2023 16:27
Perhaps before ditching Classic TGC should do a Poll, I have a feeling that more people are still using Classic than Studio.
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2023 18:00
It may be the case they can use steam data for polling - in which case it is flawed as I open both classic and studio by file association so steam is never running, had both about a year, many many hours on each, yet steam states 29 mins for studio and 8 hours for classic...I actually do use studio more. If it is "end of lifed" then maybe they should consider some form of reduction for classic owners prior to a certain date who do not own studio, while ending sale of classic/make it free.
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2023 22:32 Edited at: 30th Jan 2023 22:32
I own both steam versions and both TGC versions but I only use the TGC version of Classic. They are still selling Classic on Steam and it is currently in a Humble Bundle deal so it would be quite annoying for someone buying Classic now to find it's on the verge of being discontinued.
DARKHALO2K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2023 07:49 Edited at: 1st Feb 2023 21:57
Perhaps a low-cost annual subscription could be an option for updates?
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2023 15:14
I've been using the VSCode extension this week and it really is a nice programming environment. I'm hoping that export options and help will be added, it would then be a possible option to replace Classic, well for me anyway.

EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2023 04:32
Seeing as most people just want to code myself included end of lifing AppGameKit Classic would be a bad move. Yes its difficult maintaining two code bases but i would open source it instead of killing it off in favour of studio
-EdzUp
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/EdzUp
Buy me a coffee:https://www.buymeacoffee.com/EdzUp
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2023 05:56
I think it would be a bad move as well. Let's hope TGC listen to their customers.
Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2023 16:07 Edited at: 10th Feb 2023 16:09
hi

I use Classic version (I have both classic and studio, and buy classic two times ^^).
I have tried and It seems for windows, I can compile with studio (I have tried my big game with 75000 lines and it work fine ^^).
I don't know for android if we can compiled easily like with AppGameKit classic.

But it seems studio lake some features :
- folding (ctrl+F4)
- F1 information
- ctrl+I/Ctrl+U (increase decrease indentation)

But I could continue to code with classic (the last version) and compile for windows and android in studio.

And what about an AppGameKit classic v3 ?
AGK2 tier1 - http://www.dracaena-studio.com
EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2023 06:57
Unfortunately its posts like this that hurt sales of a product as immediately people think its gonna be canned so look elsewhere, i have looked at Studio but dont need all the bells and whistles.

I hope AppGameKit continues to be updated and fixed as required as android moves at such a pace that if it doesnt it will loose relevance in a short while.
-EdzUp
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2023 09:50
The idea of coding with the last version of Classic and then compiling with Studio would only work for so long. If new commands are added to Studio that you want to use then you would no longer be able to use Classic.

I have 4 games currently going through closed testing on Google play. I have decided not to continue publishing these games as I don't want to be in a position where to support them in the future I would have to use Studio, it just isn't a product I would choose to use in its current form. I'll continue to use Classic but anything I write will only be for personal use and for family and friends.
Arch-Ok
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2023 16:36
@zaxxan, I hope they will support classic version at least with the new android sdk updates, they have to do that for apps which are already released and listed on Google Play Store.
I hope...
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2023 21:30 Edited at: 11th Feb 2023 21:31
I think that they will just expect everyone to 'upgrade' to Studio. It would be good to get clarification from TGC as to what their intentions are with regards to Classic.
EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2023 09:57
Like Zaxxan i am looking at other options, its unfortunate that a company release wasnt put out about this instead of a nention in the last update.
-EdzUp
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2023 08:18
Coming to this post late. I'm a Studio user so the loss of Classic doesn't affect me. It also stopped working for me on the Mac ages ago, so I stopped trying each update.

However, I'm really confused with the statements made in the very first post about it being double the work to maintain for the Mac, and that the VSCode extenion is available.

The thing is, Rick has confirmed on Discord for the last 2 updates at least that the VS Code extension isn't available/working for the Mac yet. So perhaps it's worth fixing that before scrapping Classic.

I haven't used the extension yet (I'm a Mac user) but I have a feeling if it was complete I'd probably be happy if that replaced Studio too if it meant it was easier for TGC to improve on the one product.
EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2023 13:09
To be fair being a windows and linux user i didnt realise the mac version was broken, maybe finding a more robust solution that fixes it for all would be better than firing off ideas about scrapping it. After all said and done its still for sale so would leave a bad taste if it got cancelled quickly.
-EdzUp
Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2023 17:19
I really like Studios feature updates like supporting Vulkan, in fact, the only reason I still use AppGameKit Classic is for its IDE. It is simple and gives me a lot of screen space for code, and it has nice color schemes (I prefer AppGameKit Dark). I also prefer the help file system from AppGameKit Classic over the help file inside AppGameKit Studio IDE, also, I once made a tool that converted all the local files to links to the online help instead. So if you had all the nice "under the hood" stuff from AppGameKit Studio and the IDE from AppGameKit Classic, that would be really nice!
13/0
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2023 17:43
I agree with everything you have said about Classic and that's why a lot of people prefer it over Studio. I've no idea what's going on now though after Paul's announcement about discontinuing Classic. It would be good to get some official clarity on this from TGC. A new update is due any day now so perhaps things will become clearer once the update is released. At the moment I've got my fingers crossed for improvements with the VScode extension. The Studio IDE is a no go for me as a really really don't like it.
EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2023 07:50
TGC should clarify that announcement fast, this is what killed BRL as a company was the lack of information and updates from the team
-EdzUp
Aidan
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Aug 2023 20:58 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2023 21:00
It's like everything and anything, we all have to move on to better things, new technologies come out all the time, this is why it's probably not supportive on Mac cause they are moving on with the times and Vulcan (the new openGl).

Same as Microsoft, windows, how many of us still use windows 98 or even 7 - it's certainly not supportive to Microsoft's Windows updates. Think of it like that. TGC doing the same thing with their software.

I know it can be difficult for many of us moving from an IDE pure code to the studio style. Without seeing it to the full. I'm sure it is backward compatible to compile our classic code but has the vulkan support plus other features. like faster running of commands.

Just frustrating to have all the additional visible features which would annoy me but won't be disheartened to at least give it a try

TGC has probably decided it's time to move on like the rest of the big software companies. They probably don't talk about their plans cause they may not feel it's necessary to do so. News travels fast and competition can be fierce if news gets into the wrong hands.

My thoughts anyway
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2023 12:22
I have always preferred Classic over Studio but this last few months I have been using VSCode and only using Studio to export to android. VScode is a really nice editor. If TGC could add an help feature and an export option it would be a good replacement for Classic.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2023 10:20
"With AppGameKit Studio getting the VSCode extension, and the Geany IDE being open source, I'm going to recommend end of lifing AppGameKit Classic. It is getting increasingly difficult to build on Mac and basically doubles the amount of work when doing AppGameKit Studio as well."

Not sure how I missed this all this year, but it shows how often I read the update posts.

It looks like I finally need to break down and move over from Classic to Studio. As long as it supports the classic code so i can continue to play with memblock bytes, then I should be good to go.

Thanks Paul for the wonderful time I've had using Classic, and all of your hard work continually adding to the commands on top of the required third party changes. I look forward to using Studio in the near future. You rock! So, keep doing you and keep rocking with AppGameKit! We appreciate you.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2023 11:50 Edited at: 18th Oct 2023 12:03
Quote: "So, keep doing you and keep rocking with AppGameKit! We appreciate you."

Sadly you have also missed the fact that he left TGC.

AGK Studio's future is another question https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/229280?page=1#msg2675554

https://youtu.be/68NGzmZtUQQ?t=2778
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2023 14:07
i think some are putting too much into lee's off-the-cuff responses to off-topic questions about AppGameKit in the GGMax environment.

nowhere did he say "we're burying studio" and there's no sign of that. remember, TGC will always need to update their own AppGameKit apps...

yes, the short comments are (slightly) insightful but, IMHO, are not meant to fully address "the future".

of course, we haven't seen an official, proper response so feel free to continue "sleuthing" but i think some are needlessly "torturing" themselves with "the end is nigh!" notions and indirectly inviting others into that abyss.

that said, the (off-) topic continues to find its way into various threads... so i'm locking this one.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 11:17:55
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 11:17:55