Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / How about a challenge to get this forum active?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
AGK allows users to quickly develop a game or app. There are a lot of users who have been here (on and off) a long time. So, some old timers and newbies. I love seeing how users take ideas and turn them into actual games and how they write and organize their code.

Anyone have an idea for a game challenge to get everyone active? Any interest, any ideas?
Dark_ITheI _Angel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2024 23:10 Edited at: 13th Mar 2024 23:15
This may sound like a joke but i have this idea for some years now for a small SURVIVAL T-Game (Troll game), easy enough to make and maybe a challenge for the community, i just write it here as an idea :

Title : The sinking boat

Description short: game start with a boy going to the beach,there he see a small boat,he go near and see the boat has a small hole and he say: "ohh,the boat is sinking".
There the game start, a timer show up with 2 hours in easy mode,for the 2 hours you just look at the boat and every minute you hear the boy say:"i think the boat is sinking" and when the 2 hours are finish the boat is completely under water and the game ends.
Somehow like that game watching paint dry,you have to survive the time.

Easy mode 2 hours , normal mode 5 hours, hard mode 20 hours.
We could make addons later on that add an ultra mode of 120 hours.

Also we could upload it to steam and laugh at all the bad reviews.

Am totally serious,this could be a good challenge for us all!!
Animals
ando
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2024 23:15
Fairly simple games like this?

Can use any of the TGC products on the forum.
2D or 3D accepted.
Must at least run on Windows.

Land On Aircraft Carrier.
Plane starts off not quite lined up for landing. Each landing gets harder. Most landings wins.

Darts.
Some kind of dart board game. Highest score or defined score wins.

Target shooting. eg- something like 20 misses = game over with score of valid hits.

Jump Home.
An A to B jumping challenge. Shortest time or most levels wins.

Dodge Em
Avoid obstacles. Fast moving or speed increases over time. Longest time wins.
BASIC appeared in May 1964. Lightning flashed, the wind roared and the Earth moved.
And nine months later I was born.
So here I am.
I am Basic.
Code is in my genes.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2024 21:39
Some folks are already currently working on a game jam https://itch.io/jam/agk-finish-it-2024
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda
Pixel-Perfect Collision

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

badkneecap
Years of Service
User Offline
It's been a while since I've coded in AppGameKit, so it might take me a bit to get back up to speed. I like the idea of creating my own version of Asteroids. It seems like a pretty straight forward project. Anyone else create a version of their own? Let's see it!
ando
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2024 10:44 Edited at: 21st Mar 2024 10:46
I've not made a 2D Asteroids before. I did make a basic 3D space rock shooter thingy.

https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/227073#msg2661115

EDIT - one of my unfinised projects
BASIC appeared in May 1964. Lightning flashed, the wind roared and the Earth moved.
So here I am.
I am Basic.
Code is in my genes.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2024 16:09
there's already a challenge awaiting anyone with unfinished AppGameKit projects (which, i expect, is everyone ). i'd love to see updates in that thread from anyone participating.
ando
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2024 16:25
@ badkneecap, there does not seem to be much interest at the moment so....

Why not try something a bit bigger to brush the cobwebs off.

I'm more in to 3D but my art skills are not good enough to make something with realistic graphics
so I've been thinking of making a game with easier graphics.

If anyone has played Spyro The Dragon then they might agree that playability is more important than realism.
So something with a cartoon vibe might be the way to go.

As an indie dev I would also break the game down further to one good size level being the whole game, (part one).
Then level two would be game two, and so on.

Just need to design some characters and a story. Typically good guys v's the bad guys but creating a likeable main character is important.

Just my thoughts, cheers.
So here I am.
I am Basic.
Code is in my genes.
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2024 03:11
Just mt 2pence, but I would have thought a challenge that's more quickly acheivable than an actual game - like a demo effect but done in a certain way? I don't know - maybe something done with lines or something only with circles or single pixels?
"Games" just seems to vague and open ended, whereas something more atomic might be something of an actual challenge?
badkneecap
Years of Service
User Offline
I searched around for some graphics and sounds from the game and I started coding my own version of the game. It's actually going better than I thought it would. I found a graphics sheet with everything needed, so I had to spend some time cutting them up. I have the ship rotating moving and firing. Next, I will add the asteroids and collisions, etc. I'll post when I get a little farther. If anyone else is interested in creating THEIR version of the game, I attached a .zip file with all the assets I am using or started with.
badkneecap
Years of Service
User Offline
File didn't upload, trying again.
badkneecap
Years of Service
User Offline
Maybe it doesn't like .zip files, so I'll try individual files.
badkneecap
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry, I tried multiple ways to upload the files, but it's not letting me. Who has a good way to share files and games?
ando
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2024 19:36
Attachments often don't work first go for me so I select the Edit button bottom left of my last post
and upload again. It usally works on second attempt.
So here I am.
I am Basic.
Code is in my genes.
badkneecap
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2024 21:43 Edited at: 1st Apr 2024 21:45
Thanks for the info. I'll attaching it 1 more time. Looks like it worked this time! Again, it has all the sounds as .wav files. The graphics need to be chopped up, but see what you can do. I'll upload my work in a couple of days.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2024 23:06 Edited at: 1st Apr 2024 23:09
hey, bk

i've always thought a "here's some media, make a game" challenge would be fun but when i see media uploaded like that, i need to ask if you have the right to distribute it (since i see no license but a reference to another site in the .png)?

if not, please pull it and, since it's simple stuff, maybe you or someone else could create or direct us to similar FREE media? (i'm mainly concerned with the artwork since the sounds seem simple BFXR stuff).

meanwhile, i dunno if i'll have time this month since i am currently working on a Finish It project but would love to join in the fun here if i can squeeze it in
badkneecap
Years of Service
User Offline
I think I was trying to accomplish something more like the "here's some media, make a game" challenge format. Yes, I was wondering my self about using those graphics and sounds, but the sites I got them off of were very public and appeared to be put out there to be shared. But you never know, so I like the idea of setting up a challenge with a timeline and a "media" set and see what everyone comes up with. Now, we just need to get something scheduled.
ando
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2024 00:20 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2024 00:33
Don't know if you already made some pics but I made some anyway just in case.

If you want to use them just let me know if you want anything else, like more rocks for example.

The folder includes original b/w drawings with no alpha.
Then those named within twenties have alpha and those named within thirties have alpha and some blue blur.

EDIT: was just thinking it would be interesting to see people putting their own twist on the asteroids game. eg- like one or two weapon pickups.
So here I am.
I am Basic.
Code is in my genes.

Attachments

badkneecap
Years of Service
User Offline
It has been years since I have last spent any time coding a game. I forget how easy it is to create 2D games in AGK. I started my Asteroids game and I attached what I came up with (so far). I just wanted to see if I could get it to resemble the original just a little. So far, I think it's coming along better than I thought it would. I got the spaceship moving around (arrow keys) and firing (spacebar). I have collitions between bullets and the asteroids working, still have a lot left. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

ando
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2024 06:21
Nice. I think you captured the look and feel quite well. Nostalgia from 40+ years ago?
So here I am.
I am Basic.
Code is in my genes.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2024 19:19
Quote: "Anyone else create a version of their own? Let's see it!"

Never finished it, I kinda just made it to test some other ideas and concepts.
https://zimnox.com/games/asteroids/
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda
Pixel-Perfect Collision

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2024 19:22
Quote: "i've always thought a "here's some media, make a game" challenge would be fun but when i see media uploaded like that, i need to ask if you have the right to distribute it (since i see no license but a reference to another site in the .png)?"

If that's the case, here's some asteroids folks are welcome to use royalty free. I created these myself a long time ago, y'all have permission.

https://opengameart.org/content/asteroids
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda
Pixel-Perfect Collision

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2024 08:58 Edited at: 20th Apr 2024 09:23
so, i should have some time (seeing how there is no deadline?)

progress:

i've put some of ando's sprites to work today and made a few SFX for this thanks to jsfxr.

Quote: "it would be interesting to see people putting their own twist on the asteroids game"

it'll be a little twisted

ADD: HTML Version to wet your whistle. i'd call it 75% done where i will be adding ando's alien dust pirate and maybe a timer to add a little sweat

so, who's working on this? if i'm not the only one, we should set a deadline.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2024 18:16
I started working on one, built on a previously unfinished project.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda
Pixel-Perfect Collision

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 08:57:53
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 08:57:53