Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Getting DBPro 9Ex to run on Windows XP (64 Bit)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Recently I was able to get an old Optiplex 745 from my work place, and have spruced it up for retro gaming (replaced cpu, added 8 gigs of ram, added a graphics card).

I also wanted to use this PC as a testing/dev environment for any games I make in DBPro 9Ex. But when I try to run any program that uses graphics, I get an error.

The DBPro 9Ex thread stated that it should work on XP just fine, but I guess it doesn't.
The PC has DirectX 9.0c installed, so I tried looking for an installer for DirectX 9Ex, but couldn't find one.
I tried installing DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109, but that didn't do anything either, didn't even change the version number.

Any ideas as to how I could get DBPro 9Ex working?
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2024 15:09
I definitely don't know...but(hehe)... what about service packs? I don't know if there is a dbp requirement for it, but I seem to recall always ensuring I had a minimum of SP2 or I would always have issues across the board in terms of software, but that's so far back in time I am not even sure if SP3 would work best with newer dbp updates...I'm not saying that I noticed any correlation between them, it's just way too long ago to recall, but it is an additional possibility to consider.

Maybe consider trying old graphics drivers if you have the latest already - I have had issues with 64 bit win7 drivers using 32 bit stuff. Again a loooong time ago...back when my Q6600 used to work - or at least when the rig its sat in did - it sits dead in the water in hope of a fix about 10 feet away from me, day in day out. I cannot bring myself to throw away my first machine that was not a second hand purchase!

Double check the dx installation, make sure it wasn't corrupted using a scan.

Other than that I am clueless(as usual )
Win 10 Home 64, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10300H, 8GB DDR4, NVidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2024 15:28
You need to install DirectX 9.0c. I don't recall if you need the SDK or just the runtime libraries. You can try this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda
Pixel-Perfect Collision

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Gun Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I don't know if there is a dbp requirement for it, but I seem to recall always ensuring I had a minimum of SP2 or I would always have issues across the board in terms of software... I'm not saying that I noticed any correlation between them, it's just way too long ago to recall, but it is an additional possibility to consider."

I have SP2 installed, which is the last SP version 64 Bit XP can go to.

Quote: "Again a loooong time ago...back when my Q6600 used to work - or at least when the rig its sat in did - it sits dead in the water in hope of a fix about 10 feet away from me, day in day out. I cannot bring myself to throw away my first machine that was not a second hand purchase! "

If it is the Q6600 that's the issue, you can buy new ones for ridiculously cheep on Ebay (got mine for this PC for around $5). Although it could be something else wrong with it: RAM, CMOS battery, harddrive, or god forbid the motherboard itself. If you do to try to fix it, then I wish you luck!

Quote: "You need to install DirectX 9.0c. I don't recall if you need the SDK or just the runtime libraries. You can try this:"

As stated in the first post, I did try to install the June 2010 runtime, but that didn't fix it.
Yarbles2018
Years of Service
User Offline
DX9ex is meant for versions of Windows after XP, so I doubt you'll be able to make it work.
See here: https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/52dggh/direct3d_11_vs_direct3d_9_vs_direct3d_9_ex_halp/

My question is why? Why try to resurrect Windows XP? Windows 10 should probably install just fine on that hardware, especially if you added a modern gfx card.
Gun Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Well shoot.

Quote: "My question is why?"

For a few reasons.

1. It funni

2. Some old software/games that I want to run (3D World Studio for example) either have issues running on modern Windows versions, or just don't run at all.

3. Being able to run games on hardware and software that they were made for just seems cool to me (btw I am not running this with a modern graphics card, have a GTX 745 installed in it).

4. Having used XP as a daily driver until 2016, I have nostalgia for it. And being able to to switch between 10 and XP by just moving my chair 2 meters to the left brings me joy.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-27 19:30:33
Your offset time is: 2024-06-27 19:30:33