Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / What Does It Takes To Be A Games Designer

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2002 20:53
I for one would like more info on UK expos throughout the year.

Who wants cake? I've got a little slice of hell for everyone.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2002 05:50
I wouldn't worry much about many other subjects than Math, Physic and English

I'd also suggest a language or two, might sound weird but not everyone you'll meet will speak english or rather understand it quite as well as you'd like.

Once at Uni level i'd go for a Games Programming Course, these change yearly so I can't say exactly what they'll be in 6years time ... in fact i cant say exactly what they are between Uni's - cericulums don't really change just the names, stupid really.

Best possible thing you can do is actually specify the options you go for later on, keep them specific to what you want to do - try not to diversify especially if you want to make it past getting in.

Alot of people are at the bottom of the chain really in terms of programming, and there is ALOT of competition from India and such because people come over cheaper and work for much less.

Practise will be your key word for the next 8 years of your life, anyone who thinks they're "that damn'd good" at your age or before they make it - WON'T simple as that
you'll always have alot to learn, try not to cram it all at once to become the fastest or best. Work at your own pace - because it'll pay off big time when you're finally ready

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2002 05:54
dang second pages...
I let you guys know about the 3December one a month ago happen'd last Saturday - wonder if any of you were there cause you mighta seen me and not known it was me.
though i kinda stood out, the guy in navy suit who looked liked the kid of the guys i was with...
everyone looked so old that day i swear, all the big wigs from Alais|Wavefront
was alot of fun and I finally met peter, and ironically i don't speak norweigen and he doesn't speak anything but
we had to have a translator who was bored of his ass hahaa
Translating for some 3D Artists every young translators dream eh

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Necrym
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2002 06:10
What sort of question is this LOL
Everyone is a game designer
But not many are capable of all the requirements to make a marketable product on their own.
First of all get rid of the idea that your gonna make a million $ by producing the entire thing on your own. You may get lucky of course but thats extremly rare. Getting together a team of talented people each with their own excellence is the key. This requires people/team management skills. Then you can and start work on organising the different areas of the project you wish to make. The idea and comprehensive plan for the project comes first - then you will know who you will need - then go from there. Its not easy especially when working on non paying projects but it can be done and with any luck you can all make a million $ if you get it out there in the best sellers list.

Watch the bouncing cursor - now in 3d

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 18:24:19
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 18:24:19