Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / - DBPro Coding Challenges -

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2005 21:00
I think that's a fair point - doing graphics with no media isn't the same as with media - although there are some skills which apply to both. I do prefer challenges which give the old brain a real workout - like the billiard ball collision one (even though I didn't succeed in fully getting my head around it!)

Coding Fodder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2005 22:04
Yah I really enjoy the challenges like "find the biggest prime you can as fast as you can" Of course that was not really an official challenge but it was fun. I should be able to jump back into the fray tommorrow night so make it a good'un

fodder,

p.s. I just found the more button for the icons.

Something really catchy that makes people stop and think about the meaning of life and say to themselves "My but thats clever"
KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
lol congratz CF but ya i do agree wiht all of you but this is best for me cause i can't make 3D objects or i dont have photo shop not enough money to buy either (yet i hope) but i guess i have to stick with what im doing right now (i can still use paint wooot) lol but did i win this challenge than?

I must say I am quite a »»ç¶´¬¬Géñíú§¬¬´¶««
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2005 22:47
Welcome back CF - this thread needs some life breathing back into it! As with the last time I was judge, this may be a little premature as there are still some hours to go until the deadline, but I'm declaring Kimo the winner now, so we can get the next challenge rolling. Go for it Kimo .......

KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
yay my first win (but by defualt nm of a win lol)

Challenge 8

Challenge: Conjure the best Strategy Game

Vote on:I think we should allow media no sounds or music and i can't be over 4mb (it will strech wut every1 is capable of further)

Challenge setter: KimoSabi

Time limit: 5 Days (until Wednesday night, 12/16/05)

Judge: KimoSabi

Ideas:

-Games like Yahoo! like toki toki boom or that bomb game(can't remember it) or like Labyrinth

-Or a simple game like snake or chess or checkers(definitely need media perhaps more than 4mb for if u want it visually to look good)

-good luck(hope i did ok for a challenge)

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2005 00:58 Edited at: 13th Mar 2005 00:58
No media. That's already been debated, and it's set in stone in the rules.

Quote: "a simple game like ..... chess"

You're joking, right? I might have a go at noughts and crosses instead!

Chris64
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2005 01:06
Media...no. At least if you must add media to the challenge, the challenger should provide the media. That way I can still just cut and paste code since all code should have the same media files.

What do you guys think?
KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
lol ya i know simple game like chess i saw that (half impossible lol) but i think u should have the option of media maybe as long as you have a non-media version to?
but here is to set the ball rolling

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2005 01:49 Edited at: 13th Mar 2005 02:01
Are we really going to debate this over again?! Please - let's agree to stick with the rules, as they were carefully thought out and debated before they were written up.

The reason the no media rule came about was because, apart from the fact that I (and most people I suspect) can't be bothered creating a project folder and downloading media files just to test someone's code snippet, I can't think of many situations where the addition of media is for anything other than to aid presentation.

And although I know I like to achieve a basic level of presentation in my entries, (and there are plenty of ways of doing this without media), these challenges are meant to be about coding.

@Kimo - nice snake game. What's the defenition of a 'strategy' game, though? I would have thought it meant you have to rely on forward planning rather than reactions. I do like the concept of this challenge, but maybe we need to narrow it down a bit.

KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
yes i am gonna have to agree with you ric we set the rules and set them in stone were not going to change them

btw what did you think of my starting game? didn't take long to code lol

Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2005 02:23
Oo.. I might even enter this one! I either haven't had a chance or haven't felt motivated by the previous challenges.. I have some idea's brewing already!

Anyone heard of Nim? Maybe even a labyrinth.. I have a maze making code anyway

My Website:
KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
ya labyrinth is a great game (i got it with windows Plus!) well this is great i guess i posted a good challenge

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2005 03:29
I hate Nim. I always lose, because I can't convert numbers to binary quickly enough.

KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
hmmmm never heard of Nim

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2005 05:14 Edited at: 13th Mar 2005 05:32
Here's my first entry. The idea is simple - there are twenty balls, and you take it in turns with the computer to remove 1, 2 or 3 balls. The player who removes the last ball wins. It's kind of like a simplified version of Nim.

Seriously advanced AI in there.

KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
wow that's pretty fun addicting but frustrating lol

RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2005 07:25 Edited at: 16th Mar 2005 05:34
Here's my WIP. Right now I only have the graphics and controls/ movement.

Two Players (may be vs. AI if I have time).
-Goal: Get as many points as possible without eliminating yourself.
-Start: Each player selects a color.
-Object: Move Columns/Rows Up/Down/Left/Right to line up Crystals. Line up 3 or more crystals of the same color, except your opponent's color, and destroy the crystals. Lines can be columns, rows, or diagonals. Get points for destroying crystals of your own color.
-Play: Taking turns, move the cursor around the game board to select a row or column and a direction. Press the Left mouse button to move the row/column in the direction indicated. As lines of 3 crystals are eliminated, random colored crystals will take their place.
-Elimination: If a player ends up with 2 or less crystals, the player is eliminated and the other player gets *100* (*tbd) bonus points.
-Winning: Ater player elimination, the player with the most points wins.

Comments/Suggestions are welcome!

Edit: Updated. Game works (I hope, can't test too much at work). Rules are still as listed above. It's really rough around the edges, but basically *complete*. No AI (sorry. Will try to add asap). Wanted to get it in time for the deadline. Speaking of which, any chance of an extension? I think it would be great to see few more entries!

"Droids don't rip your arms off when they lose." -H. Solo

REALITY II
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2005 09:36
That's really cool - computer AI is a definite must - so we can play it!

KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
ya that is an awesome game but o hope more people post (im counting on u ric and nicholas lol) tomorrow night is the deadline

Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2005 22:13
lmao only 4 people? TBH I haven't had a chance to start yet - but 1 night is a lot of time for a hardcore coder

My Website:
Altedor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2005 04:32
I'll join in on the next challenge, this looks like fun!

Pyro Man

OS: Windows XP SP2 : CPU: Pentium 4 3.06ghz : RAM:512MB DDR : HDD: HD1: 80GB HD2: 120GB GPU: nVidia Geforce FX 5200 128 MB
Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2005 07:27
Well here is what i've done so far - I have to sleep now.. Got work tomorrow.

My Website:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2005 07:35
That's nice - not sure how the strategy bit's going to come into it though...... keep coding Nick, sleep's for girls.

Coding Fodder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2005 10:27
I am planning on submitting as well... If I can finnish the bear of a project I just started..

Something really catchy that makes people stop and think about the meaning of life and say to themselves "My but thats clever"
RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2005 12:45 Edited at: 16th Mar 2005 12:47
Woohoo!!! Play SLIDEWAYS! Fun! Fun! Fun! More fun than should be legal!
Challenge a friend! Challenge the incredibly smart AI! (no peeking at the AI code though ).

Two Players or Player vs Evil AI
-Goal: Get as many points as possible before a player is eliminated.
-Start: Each player selects a color.
-Object: Move Columns/Rows Up/Down/Left/Right to line up Crystals. Line up 3 or more crystals of the same color, except your opponent's color, and destroy the crystals. Lines can be columns, rows, or diagonals. Get points for destroying crystals of your own color.
-Play: Taking turns, move the cursor around the game board to select a row or column and a direction. Press the Left mouse button to move the row/column in the direction indicated. As lines of 3 crystals are eliminated, random colored crystals will take their place.
-Elimination: If a player ends a turn with 2 or less crystals, the player is eliminated and the other player gets 100 bonus points.
-Winning: Ater player elimination, the player with the most points wins.

Strategies:
-Before risking a move that could eliminate you, be sure you are more than 100 points ahead of your opponent.
-If you have some points on your opponent, destroy crystals of other colors to build up crystals of your own color.
-Try to line up as many crystals as possible - this way you have a better chance of getting more crystals of your color.
-Fill the board as much as possible with your crystals to lock out your opponent.

Enjoy.

Note: I don't care to win - I just had a hella lotta fun coding this game. That's one great award! Thanks Ric! Thanks Kimo!

REALITY II
Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2005 17:07
@Ric: I plan on turning that code into a labyrinth type game.. Of course, this does mean a LOT more work

My Website:
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2005 17:29 Edited at: 17th Mar 2005 09:50
Ok boyz and toyz.

I have created... DiNGo DaNGo!

It is inspired by the board game Robo Rally if y'all have played it.

Basically you give DiNGo a set of commands (i.e. Move Forward 1, Turn Around, Eat Steak, etc..) and like a robot he performs them in sequence when you press Space.

The goal is to get to the Green space and you must end up ON the space after all commands are completed.

More details can be found by reading the glorious instructions while holding TAB in game.

I only had time for 2 levels, because I have to sleep for work in the morn', hopefully the compo will not end before too soon tonight? :/

If it does, I still plan to make more levels and then document the DATA statements so everybody can make their own levels... easily anyway

ARGH, this version should work...

RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2005 22:25 Edited at: 17th Mar 2005 03:17
@Jimmy, DRATS! You beat me too it! I wanted to do a game based on Robo Rally! Really, I did. You have done it justice with a great start! I want more levels!

PS. I still might do it. Mine was going to be a slow real-time with the 'cards' popping up randomly. Much larger board too. Also with AI racers - and everyone can shoot too.

PPS. If you go back a few pages and look for my Robot game, you can find a "Robot Primitive" function. I would be honored if you used it.

Edit: Okay - here it is for you. Note: I reserve Object #2 for miscellenious tasks such as AI. I use it in this function to add limbs. So either call it before you create an Object #2 or make appropriate changes.

REALITY II
KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
alright i'll change the time limit to Saturday night cause it seems like people are rly into this (u now have more time Nicholas)

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2005 02:11
Looks like I'm gonna need to do some serious coding to keep up with the standard here. Great stuff from Rii and Jimmy - and what's Coding Fodder got up his sleeve I wonder?

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2005 02:13 Edited at: 17th Mar 2005 02:15
Extension woo! You all is goin down now.

Oh and thanks RiiDii I will be using that robot primitive, it PWNZ!

Coding Fodder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2005 04:03
Wow!! Great work guys. must... get... back... to... coding....

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2005 04:07 Edited at: 17th Mar 2005 09:51
New version, featuring RiiDii's wicked awesome robot primitive:

Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2005 04:26
Jimmy - I just have to say, THAT FRICKIN ROCKS I have never played the origional of that, but with some finishing off, that game is going to be brilliant! Get some nice cheesy music (something tetris-esque), I personally thing is would be better with a black background (color backdrop 0).

Apart from that, SUPERB!!

My Website:
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2005 04:33
Oh yeah... I was going to do the black background when I first started... I just never got around to it heh.

Thanks for reminding me and your comments

RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2005 05:34
@Jimmy: What Nicholas said! And thanks for putting in the Robot Primitive! Good job scrolling the treads!

Some suggestions:
I was trying to make my own level and I can get a grasp on the set up. I think you would get a TON of levels if you posted how to make a level (just describe how your data is arranged, and the coding - like 1=Plain square, 2=Start square, etc.). If you are going to do that, there are some fixes you can make.

Try this level. It should work, but I get a "you failed". The cards are in order of the way they should be played.

Also, try your first level using this combo: D,E,C,B,A
I get a crash.

Great job again Jimmy! If the contest finished today, I would definately bow out to DiNGo DaNGo!!

REALITY II
Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2005 05:55
I get a crash too - seems the robot is going out of bounds maybe?

Also, if I do "set display mode 1280, 1024, 32" at the top to make it run in my TFT's optimum res, it goes.. well.. wierd! It ironically looks better in default res.. Its like it cant render it right. I have NEVER had that prob before!

My Website:
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2005 05:59 Edited at: 17th Mar 2005 06:01
Dag, you're right about your level, you can't move off the conveyer, heh, that aint right! I'll have that fixed ASAP... later.

And I couldn't get that combo to crash... so dunno, I think I might have an idea WHY anyway, so I'll work on that tonight as well.

Nicholas: Yeah, wish I could do something about screen resolution, but my lappy can't go above 640x480 :/

I made it so the text will position itself fine, but I have no idea what it looks like rendering at higher res. Maybe you could post a screeny?

Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2005 06:12
Screenshot - good idea

My Website:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2005 06:26
Ahh yeah, there's something messz0red with the lighting...

I'll try using my own light or you could... whatever

Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2005 07:09
I tried setting a light - made no difference..

My Website:
KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
this is AWESOME stuff guys GREAT job im for sure

EXTENDING TIME LIMIT TO FRIDAY NIGHT

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2005 09:18
Jimmy you monkeychops, that game is teh pwns!

"Lets migrate like bricks" - Me
Vai mamar na pila
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2005 09:33 Edited at: 17th Mar 2005 09:42
[edit]forget, great thread

sig removed due to obscene content
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2005 09:34 Edited at: 17th Mar 2005 11:36
New version.

Changed Level 1

And added RiiDii's as Level 3

Oh and I fixed bugs too. YAY

KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
yea that is awesome jimmy keep going on this (you have until friday) and could you explain the level system thing and like how big they can be etc.

Coding Fodder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2005 09:41
Mustrix- Refer to the first post for how this thing works. But the next challenge will probably come on saturday and will be posted by the winner of this challenge.

I am elated to see a bunch of folks entering this one, but I hope that you all have read the rules, particularliy Jimmy (not that he is going to win What with my killer app still a mystery )

Good work jimmy, and what happened to your cute avatar? not that arvil or whatever her name is isn't cute....

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2005 09:47 Edited at: 17th Mar 2005 09:48
You got it!

Wait... am I violating any rules?

Anyhow.. hope this helps:

KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
i keep getting errors jimmy AWESOME work but definitely could use some fixin