Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / making object ignore clipping distance

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2005 13:18
hi, I have encountered a most troublesome situation where I wish to have a strict clipping distance which clips all objects at a certain range EXCEPT for one object which must always be shown and never clipped. Is there anyway I can do that?

For the record, the object in question has its z-write disabled because it also must be behind all objects on screen no matter what. Originally this is all that was required, but i added a clipping distance option to the graphics options for people who were having speed problems on slower pc's but this causes the object to be clipped which is a big nono. Think of the object as a glorified sky box if you will.

[07:16:59-pm] « Sephnroth » you were dreaming about lee...
[07:17:13-pm] « Mouse » stfu
[07:17:22-pm] « Mouse » he was hanging himself lol
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2005 22:36
I've done this before - I have a skybox 10 units in size per side and keep it centred on the camera. It also has zwrite disabled. It works just great for me.

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins and source code http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2005 03:09
I tried it but it unfortunatly caused a series of its own problems where things depend on the cube keeping its size of -1000 -1000 -1000, tons of precalculated locations and stuff (it isnt actually a skybox, but can be thought of along the same lines)

What i really need is a way to tell darkbasic to ignore the clip distance for this one object and draw it regardless :/

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2005 05:32 Edited at: 14th Jul 2005 05:32
I don't see the problem ... or am I missing something?

Works great here.

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins and source code http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2005 05:56
the problem is I have a 9000 line engine which has many many many refrances to this object which depend on its current size. For example the texture for this object is dynamic and represents a graph which starts looking odd when the object size is changed even when its positioned at the camera point :/

I did try though - i will fiddle with it somemore and i can probably get something acceptable up - but this really isnt optimal, it really should be excluded from the clipping system

Thanks for your help though btw, dont mean to sound unnapreiciative XD

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 15:46:28
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 15:46:28