Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Review V1 here

Author
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2005 16:10
Hi, please post your reviews of FPS Creator Version 1 here. We would like to hear back what you think of the product.

Commercial Director
TGC Team
[Check out Jed McKenna - http://www.wisefoolpress.com/]
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2005 17:10 Edited at: 9th Sep 2005 01:37
And this isn't a stickey because.....?

Anywhoo:

User interface: 10/10
Capibility 9.5/10
Physics: 10/10- Better than most commercial gmes, but sometimes too good
AI: 8/10- Extremely improved, but still needs a little work
Scripting: 8/10- Powerful but still a little hard
File Compatibility: 7/10- Still needs to be updated
Coustimization: 8/10- Realy great, but could be better
Included Media: 9/10- We still need modern solders and beach girls (get the point
)

Overall product rating: 9.7/10

Simply the best game engine ever created!

BOOM! Awww shucks! There goes the world. again.
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2005 17:12 Edited at: 8th Sep 2005 17:33
I'm happy about it!

critical bugs has been fixed, they WE'RE! as followed:

you could not use dynamic light in the EXE files. Finally you can do this!
Also a bug that could crash the EXE has been fixed. it could crash if you used a player checkpoint then when you hitted it and quit to the main menu then start the game again, the game could crash. I haven't experimenced this bug. So i get it as fixed

Well here's the main review(I will only comment the new features):

PHYSICS

The physics in the program is very great! adds ALOT of hole new possibilities for level design! Also another thing that is great, i took a crate(Yes you can take take the objects and throw them!) and throwed it into a window. And the window broke! Really cool! Think about it! You're trapped, no weapons. Only some crates. You grab a crate, throw it at the window. And then you're out! Although i tried the example level that followed we're they had made a vulkano. And there spawned big stones up from it and they rolled down the mountain! I was impressed!

Although you can really control everything about the physics on any object really! an example : You have a wooden crate. right click on it and there will be alot of settings. Now you can control weight and friction along with ALOT other stuff. This way you can set the physics to fit into your game

More stable product

The product is absolutely more stable! The editor is faster and it also looks like the test games are getting build faster. Altough the EXE files are big A one level game i build was on about 60 mb! Maybe that's because of the new physics one thing i know is that they are bigger than in the EA version. But this shouldn't stop you from making and sharing games

Multiplayer

The multiplayer is great fun!
if you're 8 persons in an arena, you surely will have a fast paced fight! It all drives very stable when you play. Although it depends on the hosts internet connection. Make a great arena that are balanced. And you will have great fun fighting with your friends!
Also there are a chat(Text). It works as it should. If you wanna talk with your friends over headset you can just have a team speak program running at the same time.

Sounds

The sounds in FPSC V1 is greatly improved!
the gun sounds are now perfect, and also other sound details is in!
If you place a steam decal there actually is a steam sound! and if you place a generater model there is playing a generater sound! Of course the sounds are 3D. i'm sure there placed such sounds in other of the objects/Decals .

Also when objects slide on the ground or hit another thing, the sounds are just perfect! Really great!

Improved AI

The AI is much better now! There much funnier and harder to fight. You can actually have a good fight now .
They can hide behind objects, And instead of they just stand still when you shoot them, they will try to avoid you. Not much to say about it. Just great!

No splash screen! Also Sell your games!

That's right! You can now sell the games you make! That is a REALLY great thing! And the splash screen is gone. Although i didn't cared much about the splash screen All in all it is made with fpsc. But now when you can make commercial games it wouldn't fit with a splash screen

Bugs

Also when i was making a small example game i experienced a strange bug. I placed an entity(The generater model). And when i tested the game it stood in the air! then i tried place it detailed(right click on it and place it). Now i ran the game again. But the generater still we're in the air! Maybe this is a bug.

Screenshot section

No screenshots yet. Will be soon.

Visit PanzerGames here
tpfkat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2005 17:45
i had problems getting it running but they were because fpsea needed all the files removing.
fpsc is a very good peice of kit, not to be mistaken with the 3d game crater.
its actually more fun designing your own style of game and scripting and graphics editing than what it is to play some of the games released by the big software companys.
i only wish that in the manual that comes with it that there would be a better example of scripting for us noobs.
i never found any bugs on the ea version and theres non that i found on the v1 so i cant comment about that.
all in all if i had paid £100 for it it would have still been worth it ( my wife would have cut my doodas off though if i had) i give it a 9/10. it would have been 10/10 if the examples of scripting had been better, still.....im a noob so what do i know lol.
black7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2005 18:19
I don't find the right words...completely excellent.
And you can't find a better and more easier product than FPS Creator V1.

- great physics (better than i expected!)
- good sound
- improved ai
- multiplayer

in a few words: you did a really great job!

There are maybe some bugs:
- if an entity is dynamic and you switch the physics off the entity will sink in the floor
- i noticed that sometimes grenades and enemies fall through walls and floor

that's all...
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2005 21:42
excelent !!!!!

i realy look foreward to a second version ...(hint...hint)

the physics is awesome......i realy hope you guys make dark basic professional with easy use of programing physics in the neer future

everybody would buy that

have something like a command where you set object properties to include physics properties as well.

anyways good job guys..... i have a feeling we are going to see the pc gaming industry boom with fps games very shortly...
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2005 23:30
Hmm. Physics for DBPro - just watch this space

Commercial Director
TGC Team
Evil Inside
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2005 23:30 Edited at: 8th Sep 2005 23:31
GOOD POINTS

- Excellent physics system
- Improved AI
- Great sounds - As soon as you pick up that machine gun, DIE! DIE! DIE!
- Online Multiplayer
- No splash screen
- (Refering to the one above ^) Sell your games!
- More stable

BAD POINTS - (Uh-Oh! )

- Cannot be that reliable at times
- Shadows appear as squares
- When full lightmapping, most of the objects disappear!
- When I posistion a Tavor weapon, it comes up with an error

-------------------------------------

FEW LAST WORDS

I really did enjoy FPSC V1 , It was I have to say the best game creator I've ever been on , Physics are amazing, Enemy AI improved, Throw crates at people (Ha! Haa!), Go online at fight the world, And all the other good points above! Heh :-p.

This is one real crowdpleaser, I recommend this to anyone who really wants to make FPS games, Play FPS games, Play FPS online games, Other game developers, and anyone who finds this product intrestingly enough to play about with.

And also I'll have to say this software will make possibly thousands worldwide! maybe even millions! , Lee, RickV, Mike, and the rest, I do hope you come millionaires one day ! You're cool man , Thank you So, so much for this product, You sure have made me pleased, and also the people who have FPSC pleased (<- I hope!)

Very well done .

*shakes hands with tgc once again!*

† Evil Inside † Upcoming projects: Heresy & The Ghastly Panic
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2005 23:47
It would also be cool if some of you could rate the demo version over at cnet:

http://www.download.com/FPS-Creator/3000-2121_4-10433657.html?tag=lst-0-2

Rick

Commercial Director
TGC Team
TheDude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2005 00:09
This is the best. It really is amazing. Everything is superb by my standards, literaly, exemptions include scripting...BUT I DONT SCRIPT! And also one little problem that I can't figure out. I can't put my own textures in. I did in the EA release, but I cant seem to do it in V1. Texture is in *.tga, inside files/texturebank/mytextures, and the image is 512x512 pi. I just dont get it.

Hey hey hey, It's Faaaaat albert!
Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2005 00:42

PHYSICS
Simply awsome, barrels explode exactly as in Far Cry, so, they look really good! Debris are great, the Entities' Poperties Panel is now a lot more usefull now. ODE Physics are just awsome with FPSC
10/10

LICENCE
No comments needed...
10/10

STABLITY
Wow, my FPSC EA on my great PC, was good but i've seen Half Life 2 faster...Now, my FPSC V1 with everything new that slow down, it goes a lot faster than EA!
10/10

MULTIPLAYER
Simply great. Not extensible as great games like Counter-Strike: Source, but fun! Great job.
7/10

SOUNDS
No comments needed except, this is the biggest quality change in sounds in a game to a new version...
9/10

AI
Now they are a lot more intelligent! Improvements can be done but this time, they dont looks like they climbed a mountain and needs oxygen or dont crouch in the road like morons as in EA. Now they are great
7/10

INCLUDED MODELS
Quality improvment here, new models are great. But i dont know where i download the model pack
7/10

OVERALL (including other things)
Like i always say, FPSC V1 is the world ruling no-programming software!
9/10

=-{SKaleX}-= Current Projects: -Insane Killer-=-Chaos Zone-
Gunz_27
Years of Service
User Offline
I didn't really get to test this properly because of that Debug 0 thing I have t ore-install the game so I ddn't get to try out much but still simply amazing

PHYSICS
Awesome I gave a 9/10 because not as good as Half-Life 2 but simply amazing
9/10

LICENCE
This is obvious
10/10

STABLITY
So fast and amazing!
10/10

MULTIPLAYER
Didn't test
??/??

SOUNDS
AMAZING SOUNDS I FELT AS IF I WAS IN A REAL WORLD
10/10

AI
Didn't test yet
??/??

INCLUDED MODELS
They are really cool models like boxes and stuff. Although I thought they could add more
8/10

OVERALL
AWESOMENESS!
9/10

My top 3 fav Shooter games
Halo 1 & 2, Ghost Recon 2, Half-Life 2
Les0985
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry I'am at a loss for words, its just way to cool, amazing!!
I really wish you guys the best, I hope you sell tons and tons of the software.
PocoRev
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2005 04:04
hi - great to have version 1 !! congrats to the team for putting this together for us

i've just started scratching at the surface, and have loads to do before i can make a full review, but i do have one concern that i think needs mentioning.

in the EA version, i noted some fairly long load times... in version 1 these times have increased for me.

for example, i've built the scifi 2 level using dynamic lights, 512 textues, and the midway lightmapping settings. the load time for the first level ranges from 2 minutes 13 seconds to 2 minutes 31 seconds.

the load time for level two is 3 minutes 9 seconds to 3 minutes 18 seconds!

these times are the low and high range of 5 game plays.

even the final 'game completed' screen after stepping into the teleporter at the end of the second level can take 19 to 29 seconds to display.

i'm running a P2 2Ghz with 1 gig ddr and a 9800 pro card with latest drivers. i also have windows xp home edition with sp2 installed.

3 minutes is a loooong time to be starting at a screen waiting for a level change... any ideas as to what's happening?

thanks.

Professional Atmospheric Skybox Textures
http://skymatter.thegamecreators.com
PocoRev
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2005 04:05
sorry for double post ... but i just noticed that i mis-stated my pc specs... i have a P4 2ghz... lol... the rest of the info is correct

Professional Atmospheric Skybox Textures
http://skymatter.thegamecreators.com
Music Man
Years of Service
User Offline
I added my pros/cons, etc to cnet for you guys - all words and impressions are 100% honest.

I will withhold my review till I once again have some time to play with the software.

Mike
SoulMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2005 08:14 Edited at: 9th Sep 2005 08:15
I guess I need to post my review here as a few of them just seem to be as I would call walking on cloud 9 reviews. It's great V1 is out but lets come down to earth just for a bit. I'm going to take on a more objective view on the system. While I believe that V1 is a much needed improvement over EA, there are still areas that need to be improved on.
I will be borrowing the review format from Skalex.

PHYSICS
Lee has done some good work with the physics and I do believe the system works well for the most part. There are some cases in which it feels like the physics doesn't finish, but it's not that bad. It's a fairly good system. One thing I did notice is that you can create a yo yo effect picking up and putting down an object without it touching the ground. I guess if the player really wants to stand there and do that while being shot at is his own choice but I would at least put an option in to cut that out from the game designers side. I would like to see the physics affect weapons more.
Current Score 8.5/10

LICENSE
TGC could have done no better here. I was actually expecting to pay but it's a great gesture what they did here for the license.

Current Score 10/10

STABLITY
Works better than EA and I have yet to crash...yet. I would say the system is faster than before for testing. Compile times seem faster which is nice. Haven't clocked a full light compile though. The bothersome message about some line number failing to execute is gone for the most part after coming back from a test and letting it sit there for a while. I haven't gotten any media not found errors yet but when I start doing my own media, I suspect that if I miss something for media that it will complain. In that case, I would recommend a good message detailing what failed and what the media was called.
Current Score 9/10

MULTIPLAYER
Needs quite a bit of work. I will be fair and say it's great Lee put it in and it does well for simple deathmatch. I really would like to see a more robust solution. For example, when starting a multiplayer game, having a settings menu for the player to set his name, mouse settings, keyboard controls, video settings would really add to it. One area that really needs to be fixed is the one level per exe. I would really like to see the level part done for multiplayer the same way single player is done. At least you would get all the levels in multiplayer and at least you would have a rotating list of levels. Maybe some administrative menu items/console to type commands in would really help as well. In the future down the road, I would really like to see a dedicated server system put out for this. All the major games that has multiplayer has this in some form or another. I do quite a few lan parties and we really depend on being able to do have this function.
7/10

SOUNDS
Sounds better than before. Not as tinny and does really good to add to the game.
8/10

AI
Nice to see some additional scripts included this time round. I would like to see a few more scripts added. One big thing I think needs to be done is full out documentation on the scripts plus tutorials on script creation. That is really a must. If not included with FPSCreator, why not put a section on the website for V1 owners only to have access to tutorials and documentation. I think the FPSCreator site needs to have more content such as the above.
7/10

INCLUDED MODELS
Quality improvment here, new models are great. I look forward to the newer models but since I will be creating my own media it will be cool just to see them. One thing I am a little disappointed with is the fact that the segment editor has yet to be released in full working condition without errors. I guess Lee was really focused on V1 which is a good thing but I really do need the tool to create models and extenstions with.
7/10

OVERALL (including other things)
I will say FPSCreator is getting there. It can create workable games but there is always room for improvement which I believe Lee knows and understands. I think V1 will be a great system but I also look forward to the improvements and the new stuff for V2. TGC has done a good job bringing this out.
8/10

SoulMan

This is as backwards as is This
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 9th Sep 2005 23:05
Absolutely fabulous!!! I'm having great fun just blowing things up and toying with physics. Scripting is great fun but wish the manual explained each command clearer (it's a bit vague).

Mike
MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2005 02:27 Edited at: 10th Sep 2005 02:28
Here’s What I think about FPSC V1.

Speed: *****

Now that a lot of bugs and stuff have been removed, the speed of this program has increased significantly. I can finally apply changes! Also, "Test Game" option is actually useful.

Physics: ****

Great physics, but could be improved a bit.

License: *****

Its great that you can sell games made with FPSC without a license. You would think you would have to pay a lot of $ for this great product to get a license, but you don't!

Sounds: ****

The updated sounds are way better the EA's sounds. I think they could use just a bit of improvement for the sounds when, say, a box falls on the ground. It should sound like a loud clank, but it sounds more like a tap. I will be using my own sound effects so it doesn't matter too much to me about the sounds.

Multiplayer: ***

Needs improvement. Lots of improvement can be done to MP. I mainly would like to see more game types and a list of all the players’ score that you can view while playing. I do say that TGC has done a great job so far with MP. I would rather have MP that not have it at all. Thanks.

Models: ****

The models included with FPSC are awesome, although I do want some more modern day models. I can’t wait to see what you guys (TGC) have in store for the segment editor.

Artificial intelligence: ****

Haven’t tested it out myself, yet. From what I saw on the videos, I believe that the AI is lots better that the EA. Wayyyyy better.

Avi Support: *****

Happy that .avi files are supported.

Overall: ****

I think FPSC is the best of any game engine I’ve ever used. Thanks for listening to the communities thoughts. You have done a grade job on this awesome piece of software.

MaddA CheiF
00bk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2005 14:52
OK, I hope you don't mind that I'm using your subjects, ChrisB :

User Interface

Not much improvement on EA, but still very easy to understand everything in the UI. It's really simple which is good, but also can reveal a lot more advanced options. 96/100

Physics

Huge improvement, which is really great, but looks a bit unrealistic at times such as when pieces disappear or land exactly on their side. Still very impressive though, and helps a lot in making games. 98/100

Artificial Intelligence

Wow! What an improvement! It's still a shame that you can't have allies to help you, but enemies can now duck for cover, jump out the way and the animation is at times startlingly realistic! Only problem is that the AI is quite limited, but what you can't do is really made up for by what you can do. 95/100

[bScripting[/b]

With this, anything is possible. That's that. Period. 100/100

File Building

Now, I have had problems with this. The good thing is that all of the files have been well placed and organised, but there are glitches in the final executale game that shouldn't be there (see my post about staircases that noone has replied to yet . 89/100

Included Media

We need MORE! OK, so you can download cruddy free stuff on the internet, but otherwise you have to pay for decent models. I'm looking forward to seeing the extra models in October, because now having these models you are limited only to WWII and Sci-Fi games. But I guess you can make your own and import others for the game. 75/100.

Overall: 92/100
Needs a bit of improvement, but otherwise this is a great achievement that everyone involved should be proud of.

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2005 15:32 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2005 13:34
I know there are already heaps of reviews, but my views are to important to pass up !

UI

The user interface is obviously very similar to EA (If not exactly the same except for that 'Waypoing Editor' typo ), but the UI was already very easy to use. Because all of the advanced features are easy to access as well, the UI is great over all. 9.75/10

AI

MUCH improved AI, but there is a small room for improvement. There is a slightly limited selection, but that problem is made up by the fact it is easy to tweak AI to your needs. The animations appear slightly changed for realism, and the fact that enemies evade you is great. 9.7/10

PHYSICS!

Physics, physics, physics. What can I say? Physics? In a word, magnificantiblomoso. Not just are physics in a drag 'n' drop program, but they are incredibly easy to implement. It looks very realistic when you fire a bazooka in a bedroom and the bed, table and filing cabinets fly around the room! The physics are very customisable as well, which is great. There is the tiniest room for improvement, but it is the answer to my dreams! 9.9999999999/10

SPEED AND STABILITY

It is really quite amazing how much FPSC has improved in this area. I have been using it for a large portion of the time I've had it and it hasn't crashed or had a problem once. Not once. The speed has improved drastically, which, as a matter of fact, can be a problem in some areas; it's not a big problem, but sometimes I was getting 120 FPS and everything looked like it was on Fast Forward ! 9.8/10

MODELS AND SOUNDS

The included models are great, and the added boulder is very useful... Mwahahahahaha... ...
Oh... where was I...
The sounds are much better thsn the EA, and the Minigun almost deafened me when I used it (that's not a bad thing, by the way )
I cannot wait to see the first Model Pack, which will no doubt rock. 9/10

MULTIPLAYER

Multiplay is great. vEven though I would like to see a few more modes, it is overall a fantastic addition - now my friends know that I am can thrash them in a fragfest with just a Handgun when they have an Uzi (Well, accidentely picked up a sniper rifle during the match, but... ). Very fun. 8/10

SCRIPTING

What can I say? You can do anything with scripting. It is a godsend. A salvation. A magnificent chocolate banana cream pie... 10/10

EXTRA STUFF

The licence droppage was great, and now I can get some moolah off o' my buddies! Seriously though, it is nice to have. The adding of the Story Zone is great, I can now tell stories! Once upon a time Mary had a little lamb... and she plowed down Colonel X with a minigun !

OVERALL

This is truly a great program. Now people with no coding experience can make killer FPS games, and people with coding experience can customize their games to make them even more killer than the already killer killer games! Rockin'! I love everything about FPSC, and my conciousness does to, considering I was mysteriously sick the day I happened to download it! There can be improvements, but they are secondary. First Person Shooter Creator is a godsend! 9.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999/10

Resident Evil Remake is teh fergin' best!
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2005 19:38
Single PLayer/Physiscs Rating: 9/10

Hmmm, I'm really liking Singleplayer, The physiscs are awesome, the only part I don't like is when you should something in the air. It moves nice and fast sidways, but if it gets to high then starts to fall, it goes pretty slow. It's like watching a feather fall.

Multiplayer Rating: 7.5/10

For Multiplayer, I really love it! I only wish you could have physics. However, I can wait a couple years for that. When I think about it, i sorta wish TGC would have worked on V1 a biy longer to improve V1's multiplayer capabilities. For instance, I was really sad when I tried to make a Hurt Zone in multiplayer mode, It let me put one in the game, but it wouldn't let me change it from Satic mode to Dynamic mode. So, in other words, it didn't work. The same happened to any Marker I tried to make. And just to let you know, when you press "y" to change the mode for a light, the color changes to green, but the words don't change. For multiplayer, I know that physics will come later (if at all) so I can wait for that!

Speed Rating: 8/10

I've really noticed how FAST V1 goes! I love it! I now can make pretty big areans (like, almost useing the entire 40 x 40 area!).
If it was made a little faster then we could make some really good comercial selling games. Games with big maps, are games that usually sell good, of course, you need good physics and models... but we already have those!

Models Rating: 9/10

Well, for models, I'm really liking the new ones included in V1! The to new characters got me so exited that I made a map with like, 30 of them just to get used to them! I can't beleive a new model pack will be comeing out soon (great job Simon!) I think it will help ys wait until V2 (if it comes out). I think it would have been better to have more models, but Simon is already working his... off.
And besides, what we want, and what we get, to seperate things indeed. It's asking alot in a short time, so lets all be patiant until the model pack comes out

Scripting Rating: 8/10

WEll, not being a really good programmer myself, it's hard to understand anything about FPI script (the script used in FPSC). I would really like to see some tutorials in the manual somtime in the future. And it would be nice if we had more power with commands (I.E, more commands) Merrenvo's idea for an ONKEY= command would rock! that is really something we need! I really like the power we already have tho, you can do so much with a couple lines of script!
If you really are looking for an easy way of game making, get FPSC, you DON'T need ANY coding knowledge at all, manly because you can't use a C++ or Javascript script to do anything, you have to use the simple an short FPI script that FPSC uses. And like I said before, you don't even have to learn FPI script to succeed, You already have everything you need to make a comercial level FPS game... as long as you have the imagination it takes!

Glitches Rating: 7/10

Glitches, I seem to be getting hit hard with glitches, like seeing through walls (I took a pic, but forgot and took another, when I get the glitch again, I'll take a screenshot) and getting stuck in the walls. It also somtimes dosn't let me into V1. I just have to log out, then log in, then find the icon and (obviusly) click it to get back in. Taht seems to work fine. Another glitch that somone els got and helped me through it was the infamous Lift Platform Glitch (LPG) where somtimes it won't move when you asign it to a waypoint, or sometimes you fall through it. What you have to do is just delete it, then go back into the library find it again, click it, then click OK. Now you can use it and it should work.

Yes, glitches are a big problem, especially when we're supposed to be able to sell these games. I hope theres some Glitch Fix download that comes out soon. And as everyone that going to buy this program MUST know, FPSC isn't the only program that has glitches, every program has them. I'm just surprised how good this product works, if you ever encounter a glitch, theres people on this forum that would be more then happy to help out!

Overal Rating: 8.9/10

Yes, This program is truly the best. When it really gets down to it, the question is... Do you have the imagination it takes? If you can move and click a mouse, your set to go! All you need is some good imagination, your new best friend!

The possibilities are truly endless!

When FPSC gets good enough, lets make a Redwall game!

FPSC HEAR OUR PLEA, GIVE US MORE MODEL FORMATS AND SET US FREE!
VRGames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2005 19:49
-AI- is good the enemies reacts better.
-Multiplayer- is great to create multiplayer games it is fun
to create arena games.
-Physics- to create more realistic games, it is super to shoot
objects they fall down in pieces. In a game level I had put some
barrels, shooting them down is fun looking at the bottom of the
barrels.
-Overall- Great engine, works fine, the only problem I have is
I think an old bug , everytime I start a testlevel the wall
textures are changing on different places on the walls.
Aoneweb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2005 23:32 Edited at: 10th Sep 2005 23:47
I am conducting a reveiw here
http://www.clownpaint.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=559
I am also encouraging members to download the demo, and review it as well.

Toshiba,3.2Ghz,ATI Radeon 9000 IGP 128mb,1.2gig of Ram,Windows XP Home. www.aoneweb.com

SarusX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2005 03:19
Here's my review (the end result is an average)

Accessibily- A very easy menu system with all the options lain out in play site. The grid-system is ingenious- I've never used anything as simple, yet effective as it before. The physics system is so easy I couldnt believe it. Very well put together.
10/10

Graphics- As good as it gets for $50. SImply outstanding; I could reave about it all day. Lighting effects are unparalleled in this area, and physics adds the extra touch visually. Bravo, TGC.
10/10

Audio- Quite good. The available music is good mostly, but some of the stuff is too funky for me. The fact that you can import your own sounds is fantastic, and thank God that its .wav and not something like .midi. Nicely done. 8/10

Gameplay- Top-notch stuff. While the gaming in EA got a little boring after a while, the news physics and deadly-smart AI makes the games much spicier. Story Zone was also a much needed touch. Tip of the hat. 9/10

Exporting- So, so thankful for the royalty-free license. It makes the whole thing worthwhile. The ability to port to a completely self-dependant .exe folder is awesome. Multiplayer adds extra fun.
9/10

All in All: 92/100. A must-buy. Get it, use it, love it. Its not perfect, but its pretty darn close.

Imp Eclipse SD
Years of Service
User Offline
Well what ive seen of version 1 is AWSOME!!!!! UNfortunatly whenever i try to add a marker it closes out. and it also shuts down when i add certain objects and only some of the features work. and also although i was an EA user i didn't recieve the model pack (unless it comes with the boxed version)ive tried reinstalling and reloading and nothing works. if u could please help me.
Manster
Years of Service
User Offline
I would love to test it some more, but I'm having a problem. I go and build a single level with about 4 rooms. I add so tables and some enemies to shoot.

Then I go to add a Player Start marker. The second I click on the icon, the applicatioin closes. Going to be hard to build a game at this rate.
gpx
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I finally stopped playing with FPS Creator long enough to write a short review. Firstly, let me say that I wasn't terribly impressed with the EA version and didn't do much with it. When I first got V1 I wasn't too impressed either, but in hindsight that's because the editor looks so simple on the surface. Anyhow, I took the time to read the manual (everything) and actually implement all the features, play with settings and scripts etc and I must admit I'm very impressed with how FPSC has turned out.

PHYSICS
Very good, there are some situations where things seem a little unrealistic but it make sense in the speed context, although there is room for improvement.

Score 8/10

LICENSE
Can't argue here.

Score 10/10

STABLITY
Much more stable than the EA version

Score 9/10

MULTIPLAYER
Pretty limited - I can live with the arena but limited dynamic objects would be nice.

Score 6/10

SOUNDS
I'm impressed with the sound quality and range of sound files.

Score 10/10

AI
Pretty impressive considering how simple the interface to the AI is - There is room for improvement to the scripts (fortunately this can be done by myself).
Score 8/10

INCLUDED MODELS
Good quality model and the range is nice. To be honest there were more than I expected but supplemental model packs are a must.

Score 8/10

EDITOR
I really can't fault it, it's a really easy to use and comfortable editor.

Score 10/10

GRIPES
Oh yes, there are some niggly bits:

[1]
I don't like having to compile with or without shader support - I'd rather have runtime detection so I can always ship the best possible game that will degrade on lower end machines.

[2]
I really would like a segment editor (in the works, I know).

[3]
When running in test mode, sometime the game window goes behind the editor when the game starts.

SUGGESTIONS

[1]
It would be really nice to be able to tilt the whole level (with physics so everything rolls downhill).

[2]
More teleports.

[3]
A big one - be able to export the static level geometry to some standard 3D file format (so levels can be used in other engines). I really like FPSC as a level editor and would love to be able to use it as a general level editor (I'm sure someone will make one anyway).
Origin
Years of Service
User Offline
I just have the demo, yet, but:

Physics: 9/10, Good physics, but no ragdolls...
Editor 10/10, Very good!
Scripts: 8/10, The script language is not explained very well...
AI: 8/10, OK, AI, but yest its not HL-2 or Far Cry...

Overall: 9/10, Very good product, some bugs but, its is very good!

John

"if you=n00b then askForHelp()=ok
else askForHelp()!=ok"
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2005 18:57
Keep 'em coming - it's great to hear what you think. We and others will learn a lot from what you have to say.

Commercial Director
TGC Team
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2005 05:36
I keep it commin wid duh, OOOOH! I keep it commin wid duh, OOOOH! I keep it commin wid duh, OOOOH!

BOOM! Awww shucks! There goes the world. again.
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2005 15:11
So good that I installed it on my work PC. Within the hour half of the office were playing with it, shame the network admins won't tell us how to enable network play.

But guys, you need a hot key to hide the interface quickly..I have lots countless levels after having to ctrl+alt+del when I spot the boss

Gunz_27
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay before I couldn't do my review because I had to uninstall it then take away all the EA components and stuff cause of teh debug error but now after finishing a level I will review.

PHYSICS

>OMZIGODZORZ TO TEH MAXORZORZ!
Awesome I gave a 9/10 because not as good as Half-Life 2 but simply amazing
9/10

LICENCE
>HUZZAH!
This is obvious I mean you can selll games without paying the company.
10/10

STABLITY
>AWESOMEZORZ TO TEH MAXORZORZ!
So fast and amazing 5 min loading time tops for me!
10/10

MULTIPLAYER

>AWESOME!
The multiplayer although no physics projectiles and stuff its still amazing playing with friends or you could technically do a CO-OP mode because of mission objectives mode its just sooo fun!

SOUNDS

>ULTIMATE COOLNESS!
AMAZING SOUNDS I FELT AS IF I WAS IN A REAL WORLD!
10/10

AI

>Coolio
The AI was way better than EA but it still is a little glitchy enemies run into walls and stufff like that but it was way better than the EA AI.
8/10

INCLUDED MODELS

>Excellent
They are really cool models like boxes and stuff. Although I thought they could add more. Can't wait for the free model pack thing!
8.7/10

OVERALL

>AWESOMENESS!
9.5/10

My top 3 fav Shooter games
Halo 1 & 2, Ghost Recon 2, Half-Life 2
Clyde Vasey
Years of Service
User Offline
I started with the beta version of FPS and recently downloaded the trial version 1. I ordered the official version but am having problems with the trial version. I have to stop and save all the time as the application crashes regularly. Also, I have yet to successfully select the Player Start entity without the system crashing. Any suggestions?
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2005 02:43
its funny how everybody copied off of chrisb's rating format.

I am really BULLSHOCK, but my profile got deleted...really, i'm telling the truth!
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2005 02:53
Thats 'cause everybody (including Lee and the other devs) think I'm cool!

I may not be good in school, may not hae had a girl for a while, ma not had a social life in years, BUT I"M STILL THE ONLY ONE IN SCHOOL WHO KNOWS HOW TO MAKE GAMES!!!

odyseuss
Years of Service
User Offline
I am a professional computer programmer and my 10 year old son is always asking me to teach him how to make games. We have been working with Dark Basic for a while but of course his imagination always far outstrips what can be done with even my programming skill. This product has been a godsend. He is now making his own games, giving them to his friends, and just having a great time with the product. I quote: "Dad, I have been waiting for this my whole life!"

Thanks to the gamecreators for such a great product!
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2005 10:42
Check out this review:

http://gamefreaks365.com/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=695

Commercial Director
TGC Team
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2005 18:26
I think you'll be selling a few more copys thanks to that...

I may not be good in school, may not hae had a girl for a while, ma not had a social life in years, BUT I"M STILL THE ONLY ONE IN SCHOOL WHO KNOWS HOW TO MAKE GAMES!!!

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2005 13:02
As a die-hard DB Pro coder, this product didn't interest me at all. Having read the forums and the excitement that was going on around the impending V1 release, I decided to try it out.

My review is for DB Pro coders; this product is definitely worth buying The scripting is nothing like Pro coding, but it's quite easy to get to grips with. It will also give you an insight into how the underlying engine has been constructed to create a finely tuned DB Pro coded program. And with the upcoming release of the source code for the engine, my Winter nights will be filled with "tinkering" and very little sleep.

paopow2
Years of Service
User Offline
Overall this is a great program!! Easy to use. Lets you import your objects from 3d modeling programs and pretty much all you need to create a game.

After running the demo, the only problem for me was that it was slow. I know that there is a cap on the framerate at 30. I have a super fast machine so there shouldn't be a problem with me running it at faster speeds. I run Unreal at 100fps with all details turned on to high. Perhaps the developers could give us users an extra script to be able to vary framerate. Also, now that FPS maker is at a stable state, perhaps the could also try to speed up the engine before they add any new features.
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello

I gave it a try and bought it.

On one hand I feel FPSC is one in a million and that in many ways it is a good software. I like the graphics. The AI stuff is interesting and since we can use our own graphics and sound it's up to us to deliver some good material.

On the other hand it fails to some aspects. Creating a big game with a good history and some well done cutscenes is useless since players cannot save their game. I know I know, I've read posts about it and I understand, but it would bring the software to a new level. All the "bad" things I can imagine start from here.

Still, and for the purpose it serves, I give it a 8/10. And thank you for the work guys, we were really looking for a tool like this.

V
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2005 19:16
great program. period.

Darth Vad3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow! I have been gone a long time! I can't exactly put into words the greatness of this program!

Mr Scarab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2005 22:58
I would have given this 10/10 but then things just got better with the release of the source code, I guess that's why magazines rarely rate at 10 :¬) The price was the main thing that attracted me, I figured that if it was as bad as I thought it might be (think about it, a FPS done in Dark Basic) at least I wouldn't have wasted much. As it turned out it is probably the greatest single purchase I have ever made, ever!

I love the fact that it is capable of turning out commercial quality games. I figure that if I create a couple of multiplayer games I can give them away to friends, and we can have hours of fun. I'm also working on a proper single player game but that will have to wait, I'm having way too much fun.

BTW my wife's rating would be 0/10 she says I spend all of my time in front of the (expletive deleted) computer so she really hates it. Ah well, you can please some of the people some of the time.

Chinese translation: Feng=more money Shui=than sense.
Essex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2005 08:09
Mr Scarab said...

"BTW my wife's rating would be 0/10 she says I spend all of my time in front of the (expletive deleted) computer so she really hates it. Ah well, you can please some of the people some of the time."

A universal and never ending problem Such is the unfortunate difference between men and women

Rick Harrison
Mr Scarab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2005 14:32 Edited at: 26th Oct 2005 14:33
Come on guys, where are all the download.com reviews. Go here and remind the rest of the world what they are missing http://www.download.com/FPS-Creator/3000-2121_4-10433657.html?tag=lst-0-2

Oh and on the subject of women, why is it that when I am up till 3am saving the universe they never see that as important?

Chinese translation: Feng=more money Shui=than sense.
Storm 6000
Years of Service
User Offline
Im putting one on downloads.com right now i suggest everyone who has reviewed here copys there review to downloads.com to show their support

Thanks
Adam
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2005 01:58
You know what I love most about the whole FPSC thing?
The fact that so many people are taking it to new levels through DarkBASIC Pro and whatnot. And all these "media" or "content" packs, WOW! Its amazing to see people take this one little development device and turn it into an amazing thing.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2005 21:23
Quote: "The fact that so many people are taking it to new levels through DarkBASIC Pro and whatnot."

Hmmm... am I missing something? I haven't seen anything along those lines except Riker 9 which hasn't even been released yet.

Quote: "And all these "media" or "content" packs, WOW!"

Have seen these and this is very cool!

Quote: "Its amazing to see people take this one little development device and turn it into an amazing thing."

Again, am I missing something?

Or... are you perhaps being sarcastic? I don't think so, so could you elaborate on your statements with links to the new levels that FPSC is being taken too?

Be inovative and creative.... create a fps with FPSC today!.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 07:33:48
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 07:33:48