Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Invisible Entities

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Doors, Weapons, Ammo and Enemies are all invisible for me using the demo version of V1. The door in the snapshot is closed, but invisible. So is the enemy in the room. It's hard to shoot what I can't see...

ATI 9250, Direct X 9.0C...

Hopefully this won't be an issue when my order for the full version gets fulfilled.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Xilch
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's an extreme example of the problems I'm having. In this screenshot, you can see part of the ceiling and one wall are okay, but the rest is black, and leave trails when I move. The yellow spots on the floor are where weapons and ammo should be.

Attachments

Swhale aka The FPS Creator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2005 04:25
seems like just a problem with your program files. uninstall it and delete your 'the game creators' folder in program files and reinstall. if this doesnt hel pyou reply back, id be glad to help out more.

Xilch
Years of Service
User Offline
I did this and it didn't help. I removed the folder from Program Files and the registry entry as well. One thing that does seem to help a little, is I lowered my screen res to 800x600 and changed my color depth to 16bpp. Now I can make a "small" two room level and have it show the enemies okay, but I cannot get the included sci-fi and WWII levels to work at all.

Just for reference I have a Celeron D 2.93 GHz proc., Windows XP Home, Direct X 9.0c, and ATI Radeon 9250. I'm eagerly awaiting the full version which I have preordered, but also a bit worried whether I'm going to have problems with it as well.
Jordan Siddall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2005 02:20
Same thing with me! I had everything mapped out and when I run a test game, everything was invisable!

Screenie:

And yes... I am kidding.
Lon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2005 02:29
Make sure you have the latest catalyst drivers installed.
Xilch
Years of Service
User Offline
I downloaded and installed the 5.8 Catalyst driver from ATI's website just to make sure and got no difference.

This is really starting to get me bummed.
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2005 07:13
Upload your map fpm for us to check.

Commercial Director
TGC Team
[Check out Jed McKenna - http://www.wisefoolpress.com/]
Xilch
Years of Service
User Offline
This is the getting started level almost verbatim from the included PDF manual. The door is invisible, the gun and ammo are invisible, and in the next room, as soon as I open the door, the enemy is invisible also.

Attachments

Xilch
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is a screenshot..

Attachments

Xilch
Years of Service
User Offline
Just to clarify. The problem gets worse the more complicated and bigger the level gets. Also, my base computer is a HP Pavilion model A705W which has recieved the following upgrades:

1 GB Ram, ATI Radeon 9250 video card (PCI), Pioneer 16x DVD writer.

I'm running a dual monitor setup, with the ATI Radeon driving the left monitor, and the onboard Intel graphics chip driving the right monitor.

I also have several commercial FPS 3D games installed. Everything from Alice and Quake (2 & 3) to Max Payne 2, etc... They all seem to run just fine.

I hope this is enough information to help. Thanks very much for your assistance.
SoulMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2005 19:23
Did you make sure to turn off shaders before testing?
That could be causing a problem.
SoulMan

This is as backwards as is This
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2005 21:45
I did just test your map.
I don't get the problem. I tried with full shader and without. In both tests the problem didn't happen. My graphic card is a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128 mb.

But as SoulMan says it can be because of shaders. Maybe if your graphic card dosn't support it.

PanzerGameshere
Free Particle Engine For dbpro :
here
Xilch
Years of Service
User Offline
How would I go about turning off the shaders?
Xilch
Years of Service
User Offline
In the Preferences, the Effects area is grayed out and there is a faint bullet in the No Shader Effects. I'm assuming this means I'm not using shaders?
Xilch
Years of Service
User Offline
Anymore ideas?
Xilch
Years of Service
User Offline
I guess I should point out that when I "Preview" the level, everything looks fine, it is only when I "Test" the level that this problem crops up. I also have had some similar issues with the sample games I've downloaded from the showcase area.
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2005 09:08
try building an exe...and see if the problem continues...

I am really BULLSHOCK, but my profile got deleted...really, i'm telling the truth!
Xilch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2005 00:23 Edited at: 23rd Sep 2005 02:38
Now that I have the full version, it appears that when I build a game, it displays alright, though a little slow. When I Test it however, I still get the same issues.

CORRECTION: I just built the WW2.FPM into a game and I'm having the same problem with it. The first time around it seems to play just fine, but when you die and start over, or choose a new game, I have the same issues as above. Also, playing or testing the game while the editor is open gives similar results.

Attachments

Springfield Nights
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2005 05:24
Hey, that so wierd cause I have a HP Pavilion model A705W also. The w at the end means it was a model sold only at Walmart. I added a poineer 8x dvd burner and upgraded to 512 of RAM and I run my FPSC just fine.

Well for the most part. I have found bugs but none like THAT.
Xilch
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not sure what the problem is, perhaps it just doesn't like my video card?
manic miner
Years of Service
User Offline
Ive tried the test level that was uploaded & it works perfectly on my system.
Im wondering if this has anything to do with the shadowing of video memory in the computers bios?
Modern graphics cards do not usually require the shadowing of video memory in the bios so i would suggest that you first check that your bios is NOT set up to shadow video memory into ram ( u can enter the bios at boot by pressing delete when you turn on the machine.
Xilch
Years of Service
User Offline
Completely uninstalled Catalyst 5.8 and installed the new 5.9. Completely removed FPSC and reinstalled it. When I say completely, I mean it...all left over ATI drivers, file folder for TGC and registry entries.

The results? Exactly the same as before, except now the games play much faster. I mean about twice as fast. ...wonder if my other games like Alice and Doom 3 will run faster now too?

If there's any information about my computer that would help figure out this problem, I'm all ears...let me know and I'll provide it.
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2005 10:31
did you install the boxed version or the dld version? cause i had problems with the downloaded on too, but then i installed the boxed...and all the problems went away...

I am really BULLSHOCK, but my profile got deleted...really, i'm telling the truth!
Xilch
Years of Service
User Offline
It's the downloaded version. I haven't recieved the boxed version y et.
Xilch
Years of Service
User Offline
Springfield Nights, what video card are you using? The onboard video is not capable of running FPS Creator, with only 8MB of memory max.

As far as the dual monitor setup causing problems, I'm not going to rule anything out, but I don't think that's it. I have several commercial 3D FPS games installed and they all work fine. Also, it is not possible to turn off the onboard video or to turn off shadowing with the crap BIOS that HP has on this MB. In fact, the only option for video is to choose which is the default video, PCI or the onboard. When I installed the ATI Radeon 9250 PCI (256MB RAM) and selected PCI as the default, my cursor would get lost off of the right side of the screen. I had to attach a second monitor to the onboard video just to get my taskbar onto the correct monitor. Since dual monitor support seemed to be on anyway, I decided to leave the second monitor attached permantly so I could get some more screen real estate. Now that I have it, I wonder how I got along without it all those years.

Still, I'm no closer to figuring out what is going on here, and I'm not willing at this point to erase the HDD and do a reinstall in an attempt to get this one program working, the outcome of which is dubious at best.
Xilch
Years of Service
User Offline
I've been thinking about it a long time and it seems to me that something is not being reset properly since it works the first time, but not the second, and will not work while the editor is running. Perhaps it's running out of memory the second time around? I'm just guessing here...
Xilch
Years of Service
User Offline
I finally fixed it. To make a long story short, it involved changing to a BFG Tech NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 OC (shader support yay!) and disabling the onboard video in the device manager.

Conjured Entertainment was correct. Thanks! A big thank you to everyone else who attempted to help also.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-08 22:42:30
Your offset time is: 2024-07-08 22:42:30