Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Before I buy

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Before I buy I want to make sure that this is true, you can sell your games license free with DGSDK?
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, with the commercial (non-freeware) version of dark game sdk.
Evil stick
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2005 00:12 Edited at: 24th Sep 2005 00:13
yeah, the $200 one? well, I'm just asking about this.
Quote: "
...Now Available
Now Sell Your Games License Free

Now you can..."

What does that mean?
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2005 11:03
There are 2 versions of the Dark Game SDK -

* Freeware - this version of the Dark Game SDK comes with a license to create freeware games only. You may upgrade the license at any time. Please see the end user license agreements for further details and a definition of what a freeware game is. This license is not permitted for use in shareware or commercial games or non-game applications

* Commercial - This version of the Dark Game SDK comes with an un-restricted royalty-free license

If you want to sell your games then you should go for the commercial version.
Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2005 11:42
I had this thought as well should i get darkgamesdk but then i thought why not just get darkbasicpro it's virtually the same.

p.s mike i've just added you to my msn contacts

Gtas back and bigger and better than before
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2005 16:37
Quote: "why not just get darkbasicpro it's virtually the same"

Not really.

First, the language for one is Basic and the other is C.

DBPro is based on the same libraries that make up the DarkSDK (at least that is my understanding).

The same program built in DBPro is larger and usually somewhat slower running than that done in C and DarkSDK.

Using C++ and DarkSDK allows you to do really cool stuff with classes (Object Oriented Design/Programming).

It probably comes down to which language you prefer to work in.

Oh yeah, there is a little difference in cost. But if you are serious about selling a game, the initial investment is minimal.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
tpfkat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2005 10:55
personnally ive not seen anything written in dgsdk except for the demos which were running just as well on dbpro.
where is there a game written that i can look at to see what the differences would be.
i think dgsdk is just dbpro for c++ users.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2005 11:04 Edited at: 9th Oct 2005 14:12
Quote: "where is there a game written that i can look at to see what the differences would be."

Dont think any have been written yet. I've just done mainly demos - with the exception being AtomZ

Quote: "i think dgsdk is just dbpro for c++ users."

Certainly is - with the extra power and speed of C

Come to the third DarkBasic Pro Sci Fi Con - Be there and be square
Blog:http://spaces.msn.com/members/BouncyBrick/
Web Site:http://www.nicholaskingsley.co.uk
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2005 17:21
The compo featured 4 DGDK games. AtomZ, ConnectMore, Iro and MiR Ware. There might be more that I´m unawhere of though.

My signature has been erased by me because it's LARGE.
Thank you for the votez!1!
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2005 19:24
True...

Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2005 21:20 Edited at: 9th Oct 2005 21:21
I dont like to toot my own horn at all, but you should check out Iro for a good example of what you can do with the darksdk. Not for the game itself, but check out the visualisation system with audio spectrum analsys - i couldnt of done that in dbp without alot of faffing about with writing and then using my own dlls and then the implementation would of been ugly anyway (like trying to fill a struct full of floating point frequencey ranges as the return value from a function in a dll.. nya).

As far as im concerned when i bought darksdk it was the flexibility to do whatever-the-hell-i-want that i gladly paid for. Being able to add other sdks and libaries is just that, just like the sound libary i used for iro

Goel
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm just curious...a little off subject, but what are the differences in layman's terms between DARKBasic Pro's language and C?

A warrior, on assignment (and having fun ).
Psalm 20:7, "Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God."
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2005 10:30 Edited at: 18th Oct 2005 10:30
DarkBasic Pro = BASIC
C = C

BASIC = English style language
C = Not very English style language

Troll Fiddler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2005 13:32
BASIC = Beginners All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code (note the "beginners"). Started off as an easy to learn and very limited language for beginners. Has grown into a more complex language but has never been re-architected to my knowledge and carries all its old baggage with it. Has no OO features, which to me is the biggest drawback in the modern world.

C = A rude word that I won't repeat here Complex, flexible and fast. C++ gives you the OO stuff. To be honest, I think the base syntax of C++ is as easy to learn as Basic. It's the extras that take more thought.

T.
Goel
Years of Service
User Offline
OK, next question- what is the OO stuff? I've never heard of it.

That does help a bunch, thanks. LOL...how's about another question- what of the other programs that Game Creators makes are compatible with SDK? (Canvas Pro, Cartography Shop, etc.)

A warrior, on assignment (and having fun ).
Psalm 20:7, "Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God."
Troll Fiddler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2005 22:50
"OO"ps! Sorry OO = Object oriented. You know, all that good stuff, inheritance, encapsulation, polymorphism blah de blah.

As for the other stuff, if they can export to the direct X file format then you can use the models with the SDK. There are some features of the various 3D modelling formats that can't always be transferred between formats or used in various tools, as they aren't always supported. Not sure how much of that applies to the software you mention, but I suspect if the models work with Dark Basic they'll work with the SDK.

T.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 00:38:24
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 00:38:24