Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / SDK Bugs revisited with 5.9?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2005 13:56
Hi everybody,

now that it has been said that DBPro 5.9 is imminent, it seems that DBSDK is going to be updated too.

Since the two engines are the "same", I think that it would be nice to have solved those bugs that DBPro hasn't, but DBSDK has (and shouldn't ).

I'm specially worried about :

- Shaders problems. Any 3d engine without shaders is useless nowadays, and I use 3 or 4 in my project.

- In full screen mode, if you alt-tab in and out of the application, all resources are lost. I do call external applications from my project and give back the control, so this can be a problem.

I don't know when the next update will be, and don't know either when will we have another chance of asking some fixing without having to wait several months, that's why I'm posting this thread.

Please feel free to post any other reasonable requests that you may have.

Also, I would like to hear from TGC that this is going to be no problem, but in the mean time I just want to congratulate Mike and the rest for their excellent job
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2005 14:51
Send me the shaders and the code you are using and I can test this tomorrow. If you can keep the example code as simple as possible that will help a lot. Please email to mike@thegamecreators.com

The alt tab problem is in DB Pro as well. You can test for when resources are lost but ideally this should be done automatically. This won't be dealt with over the bug week which starts tomorrow but if all goes well very soon after.
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2005 15:40 Edited at: 29th Sep 2005 15:42
@Mike - While you wait for Morcilla's shaders, could you confirm that the 4 shaders that are used in the FX demo will be working?

I ask this because the downloaded pre-compiled FX dgsdk demo works perfectly, but as soon as I recompile the sample with 1.1.1 beta aniso.fx, cartoon.fx & rainbow.fx all cause runtime exception when the demo dbSetEffectOn()'s on them. The bubble.fx shader is the only one that doesn't cause an exception, but the bubble/blob doesn't appear onscreen either...

BTW, I'm compiling with VS 2k3 and all other samples compile (after the dbRGB et al renames) and run fine.
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2005 15:47
Just tested the shaders in the FX demo and they are all working here with the latest version of the SDK.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2005 15:51
You wont forget to look at the Dancer demo FX problem will you ?

Come to the third DarkBasic Pro Sci Fi Con - Be there and be square
Blog:http://spaces.msn.com/members/BouncyBrick/
Web Site:http://www.nicholaskingsley.co.uk
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " Just tested the shaders in the FX demo and they are all working here with the latest version of the SDK."

By latest you mean the development Head version you guys have over at TGC, not 1.1.1 beta, right?

Thx.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2005 16:28
Would have thought he was refering to 1.1.1 - 'cos I do know they work when the program is recompiled...

Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "cos I do know they work when the program is recompiled..."

Really? They don't over at my end... what version of VS are you using? And what version of DX have you got installed on your box, Nick?
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2005 19:06
Quote: "the downloaded pre-compiled FX dgsdk demo works perfectly, but as soon as I recompile the sample with 1.1.1 beta aniso.fx, cartoon.fx & rainbow.fx all cause runtime exception when the demo dbSetEffectOn()'s on them. The bubble.fx shader is the only one that doesn't cause an exception, but the bubble/blob doesn't appear onscreen either..."

I must agree totally with Miguel. Of course, media dir was copied to make it "work" , I'm running:

VS.NET 2003
DXSDK 9.0c August 2005
DBSDK 1.1.1
Windows XP Pro
AMD 3000 XP
ATI Radeon9700Pro

Anyway, Mike, I sent that mail to you as "DBSDK Shader Bug Example", with all the stuff.

I'm working on an application call example. I'll mail it later.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2005 20:33 Edited at: 29th Sep 2005 20:40
Oopps! Sorry, my mistake! It appears that it doesn't work when re-compiled ...

Just tried it now and it crashes rather well... I thought I had got it working, but apparently not...

Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2005 21:29
The shader example has never worked for me when compiling myself. The ready compiled exe did work however.

Also, none of my own shaders work when compiling programs with the darkSDK, one that I know work in dbp. Either shaders crash spectaculary or simply make the object in question disapear.

256meg Radeon 9600
intel p4 2.4ghz
786megs of ram
win xp
visual studio 6, latest service pack
dx9 sdk summer 2004

all other darksdk functions work as expected that i have tested so far, but as far as the other effects commands go i have only tested sphere mapping (which worked, was used in Iro)

Very odd that it works on your machine Mike, and no where else x_X I hope this suggestion doesnt insult you (I really dont mean it as one XD) but there isnt an absolute path set somewhere in the code to load the shaders is there meaning the shader has to be somewhere very specific? XD Its always the simple mistakes I miss when coding

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2005 21:58 Edited at: 29th Sep 2005 23:33
Quote: "The alt tab problem is in DB Pro as well."

Well, I'm lucky because I haven't seen it. I use Windowed - Full Screen mode with DBPro.

About that, I've done my testing and I haven't been able to reproduce it in DBSDK either External calls and getting the control back had no errors (Windowed - Full Screen also, so that doesn't worry me like before, but hey, get it fixed, it may be annoying other people and one never knows...)

And about shaders, I sent one representative example to Mike (not working). All of us would like to be wrong, but I'm afraid that we're not. There are lot of examples to test at the "The Ultimate Shader Thread 2.0", with very simple code...
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2005 11:11 Edited at: 30th Sep 2005 11:14
The call stack when dbSetEffectOn() blows up in 1.1.1 is, in my machine:

FX.exe!cSpecialEffect::Setup() + 0xa C++
FX.exe!cSpecialEffect::Load() + 0x54c C++
FX.exe!operator new(unsigned int cb=3) Line 25 + 0xb C++
FX.exe!DarkSDK() Line 16 + 0xe C++
cccccccc()

I am using DirectX 9.0 SDK (June 2005). In previous versions of dgsdk (1.0 & 1.1), calls to dbSetEffectOn() don't cause an exception but the program crashes inside the render cycle with an overflow error (?).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 21:46:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 21:46:23