Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / SDK dont work with my VC6 !!!!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2005 15:54
Hello,

First sorry for my english, i come from belgium :-(

Well, The Game Creator sdk dont's work with my VC6

installation:
DirectX9 SDK
VC6 SP6

if i compile empty project like this

#include "DarkSDK.h"

void DarkSDK ( void )
{
dbSyncOn ( );
dbSyncRate ( 0 );

while ( LoopSDK ( ) )
{
if ( dbEscapeKey ( ) )
return;

dbSync ( );
}
}

my compiler show this message

--------------------Configuration: essai - Win32 Debug--------------------
Linking...
LINK : warning LNK4098: defaultlib "LIBC" conflicts with use of other libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library
system.lib(dxdiaginfo.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _CLSID_DxDiagProvider
system.lib(dxdiaginfo.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _IID_IDxDiagProvider
Debug/velo.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 2 unresolved externals
Error executing link.exe.

velo.exe - 3 error(s), 1 warning(s)

Help Me PLeeeeeeeeaaaase.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2005 16:07
Quote: "LINK : warning LNK4098: defaultlib "LIBC" conflicts with use of other libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library"

Compile in release mode instead of debug.

Quote: "system.lib(dxdiaginfo.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _CLSID_DxDiagProvider
system.lib(dxdiaginfo.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _IID_IDxDiagProvider"

Read the second post in the frequently asked questions

For free Plug-ins and source code http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
scooby bloke
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Compile in release mode instead of debug."

Alternatively, compile in debug mode and just ignore the warning

Or go to your project build settings, find the linker options and add /NODEFAULTLIB:library to the command line.

I really don't understand why people seem to be so against the use of debug mode. I use it all the time with no problems at all. Makes it much easier to track down what's going on if there's a problem as well.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2005 18:03
Unfortunately the resulting debug executable can differ from release mode executables - there have been some cases where a compile bug manifests itself in release mode and not in debug mode (and vice versa).

Come to the third DarkBasic Pro Sci Fi Con - Be there and be square
Blog:http://spaces.msn.com/members/BouncyBrick/
Web Site:http://www.nicholaskingsley.co.uk
scooby bloke
Years of Service
User Offline
Yep, I see that at work sometimes. But it is a very rare occurance, especially if you write your code correctly.

Debug code allows you to check your logic if problems are occuring, put in traces on variables, observe code flow in action etc. It's good practice to compile into release mode after each major change to ensure you haven't broken anything, but as I said, it's rare for this to happen. It usually only happens with low level code in my experience, and anyone just beginning to use c / c++ is very unlikely to encounter this.

If you do find a bug in debug mode that doesn't appear in release mode (and vice versa), I'd personally be looking into why, and fixing it...
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2005 18:22
I find it much easier just to stick in MessageBox fuctions everywhere...

scooby bloke
Years of Service
User Offline
Nah, custom breakpoints are much nicer
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2005 18:32
Too much trouble...

scooby bloke
Years of Service
User Offline
What's too much trouble about right clicking on the line you want to break on and selecting "Add breakpoint" from the menu?

How is that any harder than typing in all that cumbersome messagebox code?

Each to their own and all that, but I was just curious
ThomasFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Isn't this error rather 'Famous'? I get the DXDIAG problem and I cannot get rid of it whatever I do. The lines on the top, DXExtras, release not debug mode, It dosn't make any difference whatsoever. Its annoying and frustrating.

So if the problem gets solved, can you tell me too!?

scooby bloke
Years of Service
User Offline
I just include the lines...

#define INITGUID
#include <dxdiag.h>
#include "DarkSDK.h"

at the top of my main source file, and I don't get any warnings / errors in debug or release.
ThomasFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2005 05:54
Hello, guys! Sorry for my English - I'm from Russia, and it's hard enough to make no mistakes for the regular student like me.

I have the same problem . My project does not link as well as all those examples. First, I didn't install the DirectX SDK (because I use a dial-up connection and have no chance to download about 200 Mb of that SDK). But once I found twro archives, the first with include files and the second with libs. Is this all I should have to use Dark Game SDK, or there is another stuff to install?
ThomasFN
Years of Service
User Offline
I think u need the runtime - should be downloadable from the microsoft web site for less than 10 mbs

Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2005 21:28 Edited at: 9th Oct 2005 21:30
you need the directx9 sdk (and not one thats too new if you are using vc6) AND you need the directx9 sdk extras (important!)

make sure you have both.

Also i dont get why people are so against debug mode, I love it. and message boxes are ugly, a waste of time and simply not effcient debugging at all. Sometimes you need to know more than just values, and also to debug by outputting values to a messagebox you need atleast a vague idea of the problem so you know which values to out. Imho, its bad practice and certainly should not be encouraged ¬.¬

Nothing beats a user break point (which is no hastle, rightclick and press insert break point - job done. you can right click it again to remove/enable/disable) to break at an EXACT point of execution then using f10/f11 to jump/step through the code and the always usful rightclick->run to cursor to continue execution to another specific line. Then all vars currently involved with the line you are paused on are displayed (more than just a simple output value too, very usful to see whats going on with pointers and memory sometimes) and if you fancy it you can right click one and add it to the quick watch so you can keep a constant eye on it.

Message boxes my bottom XD

edit - think its worth adding that the visual studio debuggers are some of the best in the industry and its criminal to ignore them, especially replacing them with message boxes! XD did I also point out that the debugger will show the value of a variable before and after a calculation? with a message box that would take either 2 message boxes or an extra variable >.>

Grossman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2005 23:16
Quote: "you need the directx9 sdk (and not one thats too new if you are using vc6) AND you need the directx9 sdk extras (important!)"
And what about VC .net? One man told me there're no bugs... Is it true?

PS. [offtop] Why my avatar and all that forum stuff does not apper? [/offtop]
Grossman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2005 14:38
Finally, I have bought Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003, installed it and DirectX SDK 9.0 with Summer 2003 update. When I tried to build an example, I got this:

------ Build started: Project: FX, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------

Linking...
LINK : warning LNK4075: ignoring '/EDITANDCONTINUE' due to '/INCREMENTAL:NO' specification
Creating library .\Debug/FX.lib and object .\Debug/FX.exp
convx.lib(ConvX.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _DXFILEOBJ_SkinWeights referenced in function "bool __cdecl XFILE_GetMeshData(struct IDirectXFileData *,struct sFrame *)" (?XFILE_GetMeshData@@YA_NPAUIDirectXFileData@@PAUsFrame@@@Z)
convx.lib(ConvX.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _DXFILEOBJ_XSkinMeshHeader referenced in function "bool __cdecl XFILE_GetMeshData(struct IDirectXFileData *,struct sFrame *)" (?XFILE_GetMeshData@@YA_NPAUIDirectXFileData@@PAUsFrame@@@Z)
system.lib(dxdiaginfo.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _CLSID_DxDiagProvider referenced in function "public: long __thiscall CDxDiagInfo::Init(int)" (?Init@CDxDiagInfo@@QAEJH@Z)
system.lib(dxdiaginfo.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _IID_IDxDiagProvider referenced in function "public: long __thiscall CDxDiagInfo::Init(int)" (?Init@CDxDiagInfo@@QAEJH@Z)
.\Debug/FX.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 4 unresolved externals

Build log was saved at "file://d:\Program Files\Dark Game SDK\Samples\Visual Studio 7\Fx\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
FX - 5 error(s), 1 warning(s)

---------------------- Done ----------------------

What's wrong?? Anybody, please, help!
Grossman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2005 21:39
Problem solved. Sorry for flood.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2005 00:53