Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Using FPSC with DGDK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2005 22:40
Rich genously donated me a copy of FPSC ( ) due to taking a long time sending my prize out (no, realy) so I´ve been mucking around with the demo while the package arrives and there seems to be alot of media there that I can use with DGDK. (I hope. Haven´t read the eula yet). I know that some commands will be added to DB for loading FPSC levels but does anyone know what I´ll be able to do with this amazing piece of kit in more detail?

My signature has been erased by me because it's LARGE.
Thank you for the votez!1!
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2005 08:43
I'm not sure if you can use the media from it with other games you make with their other products - i remember something like that being asked before but i cant remember what the reply was XD

As for what you can do with it and darksdk - I suspect an awful lot less than what you can do with it and dbpro. The "programming" in fpsc is done with scripts you actually write in fpsc, what they are doing for dbp is releasing the source to fpsc which was written in dbpro itself. This would mean a HUGE amount of control suddenly given to users of both FPSC and dbp because they could modify the core engine and just recompile themselfs a new exe with all their new mods. However, surfice to say you wont be compiling any dbp code with c++ and darksdk. If you were uber brave and had a bit of time on your hands you could try porting the entire thing across! I'm sure a few people would like that But it wouldnt be a small job in any sense of the word.

Im also skeptical about these new commands added to dbp for the fpsc source because, unless im very much mistaken, im presuming them to be dlls lee wrote like any other 3rd party dll which would say to me they arnt coming to darksdk unless he also releases the source to them for us to modify and make into libs for our own projects. Or to call manually or somat.

Of course, take this with a grain of salt. I could be completly wrong about -everything-. FPSC could of been written in darksdk and the new commands are an integral part of the dbp engine rather than 3rd party dlls (even if the 3rd party dlls were written by the 1st party.. go figure ). These are my assumptions though, just wait for an official reply

Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, I've been wondering if things like the ODE extension etc will also come to DGDK. Of course, since we are in C++ here we could just link with the "reak" ODE, something dbpro users cannot.

But there are things for (and I guess, against) having the physics natively in there.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2005 15:43
The code license is clear enough, but there is no media license - I would guess that the media would be OK to use with a TGC product, but unless there is an official answer to this question, I wouldn't attempt it.

@Miguel,
The source code for the ODE plugin is available as a part of the 'extras' download in the bugs forum - you can simply check the code yourself to see how the intergration was done, and then do the same yourself. Or you can compile the DLL into LIB form instead and use it directly in your project.

For free Plug-ins and source code http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2005 16:52
Thanks for your replys.
I guess I´ll have to find that post about FPSC media. I remember reading that thread aswell but I can´t remember the reply either!
Personally I wouldn´t like ode physics included in DGDK as we have a fine section of physics engines on offer anyway. An example of how to use ODE with DGDK would be nice though. Then again Walaber has Newton up and running with DGDK anyway so there isn´t much need.
I´ll have a bigger lay with FPSC this weeekend to see if there´s anything else I can do with it and DGDK.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2005 16:54
Might be worth e-mail Mike - as he's been using DarkSDK for most things, he should have some examples.

Come to the third DarkBasic Pro Sci Fi Con - Be there and be square
Blog:http://spaces.msn.com/members/BouncyBrick/
Web Site:http://www.nicholaskingsley.co.uk
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2005 17:14
Quote: " Might be worth e-mail Mike - as he's been using DarkSDK for most things, he should have some examples."

Good idea. Though perhaps after bug week when things have settled down a bit. Right now his inbox must be overflowing.

Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "you can simply check the code yourself to see how the intergration was done"

Thanks Ian, I'll check it.
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2005 16:44
ok. I got confirmation from Rick and Mike that they can be used in my DGDK projects. And now it´s the weekend I can get into this 3d malarky. Yay!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 19:08:56
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 19:08:56