Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / 5 questions to make a scarier

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2005 14:37
Ok, I'm on the brink of buying FPSC and i was wondering about some things, most of which relate to Doom 3 as i played the demo and wanted my latest game, Demon, to have that kinda feel. But i'm a bit stuck:

1) Can your map your map really dark? I know that if you add a light, the rest of the map goes dark but i want it darker.

2)I also have a problem whereby my computer crashes/freezes every time i try to test the game in fully mapped light. How can i change this?

3) Interactivity (if it's even a word), can i have a similar thing to D3 where you can lower your weapon to work on a control pad, or talk to someone?

4) Can i have animated screens? Like a television that actually shows something. I guess there'd just be animated .gif 's but am i right?

5) One of the things that makes D3 scary is its realism. Are there any plans to upgrade the graphic for FPSC created?

Other stuff like gore, tension and freeky audio will also be needed, but i can know how to achieve this.

RSVP,
AE
Storm 6000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2005 15:12 Edited at: 16th Oct 2005 15:12
hey

1. when ambient light is set to 0 its is pitch black except for lights you place

2.your computer probably isnt freezing, are you aware it takes roughly 8 hours to do a full lightmap calculation, you never do that untill you game level is finished and when you do you do it as a final exe so u can test it as many times as you like without having to recalculate light maps

3.Can be done with scripting

4.Actul moving screens ect cant be done that i know of (doesnt mean you cant means i dont know) this is mainly becasue fpsc cant load gifs and i dont think its supports texturin avi files either

5. the graphics on fpsc are as good as you make them if you have your own models with complex textures and your own shader effects you cna probably create amazing results(btw TGC were porbably focusing more on FPSC working than the graphics because grpahics can be imported by the user)

Thanks
Adam
Zero #43
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2005 18:57
first of all, DO NOT MAKE YOUR GAME LOOK GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well, u no, not graphic wise...... not every one's graphic's cards support FULLL LIGHT MAPPING, HIGHEST QUALITY, and FULL SHADER EFFECTS, mine doesnt do to good with those. you want more than just you and the richees' to play your game. you want every one. this is what i put the settings too, and it still looks great:

Quick Lightmapping
Low Quality/Medium Quality - HARDLY EVER HIGH QUALITY
NO SHADER EFFECTS

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor w/ HT Technology 3.4GHz 800MHz FSB w/ 512KB Cache, 1GB DDR PC-2700 at 333MHz - 1x1024 SO-DIMM, ATI RADEON™ 9550 256MB DDR(<<soon ), 80GB Hard Drive
Storm 6000
Years of Service
User Offline
he can have as much static lighting as he wants without doing much damage on performance

Thanks
Adam
Zero #43
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2005 19:27
yes, but, not every one can support full lightmapping effects, its not about what your comp can do, its about the player's comp

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor w/ HT Technology 3.4GHz 800MHz FSB w/ 512KB Cache, 1GB DDR PC-2700 at 333MHz - 1x1024 SO-DIMM, ATI RADEON™ 9550 256MB DDR(<<soon ), 80GB Hard Drive
Pantaloon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2005 19:41 Edited at: 16th Oct 2005 19:42
i agree with Zero

you know he could render two versions for low and high end computers

better yet, TGC could allow the the final game to have the ability to let the PLAYER select graphic settings in the main menu. That would be awsome. dont they have an upgrade out already? does it have anything like that.mmm i guesse i'll poke around the site

"My real name is... Mepha-stophalies, but you can call me baby----"
-Marcy Playground
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2005 21:41
Ok, thanks for the help

It was playing D3 again and i noticed that it certain points in the game, the lights go out. Now i know this could be achieved by setting up a trigger zone but they can only have one effect, can't they? What if i want a sound to signal the lights going down?
Basic i'm asking:
6) Can i have more than effect to a trigger zone?
7) And can i have lights that flicker?
RSVP,
AE
P.S: How can you change the ambient light settings?
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2005 22:21 Edited at: 16th Oct 2005 22:22
Quote: "6) Can i have more than effect to a trigger zone?"

Not sure what you mean, but if you mean if you can have more effects react by using one triggerzone, then maybe it can be done by using scripts. Not sure.

Quote: "7) And can i have lights that flicker?"

YES!

Quote: "P.S: How can you change the ambient light settings?"

By going into build game and then change the global settings.

PanzerGameshere
Free Particle Engine For dbpro :
here
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2005 00:16
yes you can have a trigger zone do as many things as you want...but the objects all have to have the same name...

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2005 09:32
That could be difficult to get around, sound clips generally aren't called "Light01" and i don't want them to switch off, i want them to play.
8) Could you have a sound zone in the same square as a trigger zone?

9) What fpi is for flickering lights?

10) Can you loop sound effects using FPSC?

AE
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2005 09:53 Edited at: 17th Oct 2005 09:54
Q: Can your map your map really dark? I know that if you add a light, the rest of the map goes dark but i want it darker.
A: Yes, this is possible by utilising the Ambient Light, with the Light Ranges. Lights are entities like everything else, so if you right-click it will provide you with a list of properties.

Changing the Colours to darker colours, making the range closer and providing less brightness can all help to provide more atmospheric darker levels.

Q: I also have a problem whereby my computer crashes/freezes every time i try to test the game in fully mapped light. How can i change this?
A: Common mis-concept is that FPS Creator has crashed. Building a reasonably complex map with High-Quality Lightmaps can take up to 60minutes on a reasonable speed computer.

This said, the advantages over Normal-Quality is minimal. It is an area of FPS Creator that I would like to change in the future to a true Global Illumination Solution, similar to Half-Life 2.

Q: Interactivity (if it's even a word), can i have a similar thing to D3 where you can lower your weapon to work on a control pad, or talk to someone?
A: This can be done by scripts to change the rotation of your currently held weapon. It would take a little work to accomplish.

Q: Can i have animated screens? Like a television that actually shows something. I guess there'd just be animated .gif 's but am i right?
A: Although there is a way to do this by manually changing the texture each time a script is passed, it would be quite slow to do.
I personally would put this on a "not possible" pile for the time being.

Q: One of the things that makes D3 scary is its realism. Are there any plans to upgrade the graphic for FPSC created?
A: Yes.

Q: Can i have more than effect to a trigger zone?
A: Yes. The scripting itself has virtually no realistic limitations on overall length, so it's possible to run complex scripts in a single object.

Q: And can i have lights that flicker? If so, whieh fpi is for flickering lights?
A: Yes, but only for dynamic lights. Light2.fpi, contains all of the script to flicker lights.

Q: Can you loop sound effects using FPSC? If so, which fpi is for looping sound?
A: Yes. repeatsound.fpi and loopsoundinzone.fpi can be used.

Undercover Steve
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2005 17:10
or he just had different moniter settings.

whatever you do..SPAM THIS SITE
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2005 19:43
I'm doing some basic tests with what has been mentioned in this thread. I've set up a room where you enter it, go down some stairs and at the bottom, the lights turn off. But i can't set up a trigger zone correctly to do this. Here's what i've tried
Start=appear1.fpi
Main=lightoff.fpi
Destroy=disappear1.fpi
If used=Red light1

Start=plrinzone.fpi
Main=lightoff.fpi
Destroy=Disappear1.fpi
If Used=Red light1

Start=Appear1.fpi
Main=plrinzone.fpi
Destroy=Disappear1.fpi

What am i doing wrong? Also the light2.fpi script doesn't work, i set it up as
Start=appear1.fpi
Main=light2.fpi
Destroy=Disappear1.fpi

Is that wrong too?

AE
Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2005 20:56
you must set the light to dynamic (right-click>static: no)

=-{SKaleX}-= Current Projects: -Insane Killer-=-Chaos Zone-

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 18:00:29
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 18:00:29