Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Some Suggestions for DSDK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2005 15:59
Please pick up the pace! Finish the product!
Your documentation for this stuff is so awful, a lot of the function names found arnt even correct.

Also the networking api is god awful. Im sorry, but Direct Play IS DEAD. Microsoft does not support it, and hasnt for a while now. They tell you to use Winsock now for networking, until the new networking API being made for Xbox is realeased, which should be around the time Longhorn is released.

Please make a networking api based on winsock, and make it big!
Online games are the future, so its silly not to have a large and excellent networking api.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2005 16:36 Edited at: 18th Nov 2005 16:39
Wont happen - would take too much effort. Besides, there is already a Winsock neworking API around - use that.

The update will apparently be out by the end of the year - Mike is working on some unmentionable items at the moment.

Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2005 17:11
for networking i HIGHLY recommend raknet (rakkarsoft.com if i remember correctly) - its designed FOR games and its just so little work to implement its laughable - so glad I found it, wouldnt exchange it for the world.

Briere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2005 14:19
Well if they expect good games to be made with it, why sell a broken product.

They should also add more support for using windows controls and stuff.

Another suggestion would to make the dgsdk compliant with VC++ 2005 Express.
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2005 14:37
Its not broken o.O it works. But as you said, direct play is awful. Thats not their coding, they did a fine implementation of it.

Windows controls is supported because you are using c++. Again, nothing to do with the sdk. See the tutorial link in my siganature, I wrote a very indepth article on how to use windows controls, forms, dialogs and menus with dgsdk apps.

vc++ 2005 express compliance is something I would like to see too, it might make me actually stop using my vc6 X_X Who knows. But its only just come out, give em a chance

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2005 19:51 Edited at: 20th Nov 2005 19:52
Quote: "Another suggestion would to make the dgsdk compliant with VC++ 2005 Express"

Its not possible - what Microsoft dont say is that not all of their libraries are included in Express (nor in the Platform SDK). Hopefully the full version will work okay.

Briere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2005 19:52
well looks like i wont be using the DGSDK
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2005 21:18

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 16:59:43
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 16:59:43