Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Will the Framerate problem be taken care of?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry, I'm still new here. But most maps ive made with the demo, and some games I have played have a really bad frame rate. Is the dev team working on this issue? What the heke makes the gameplay so laggy and slow? I could really use some more info on this problem...
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 10:34
I think that the optimisation side of the engine will get a makeover once the occlusion stuff is added to DBPro, like the ability for the engine to hide unseen detail. You can improve matters with sensible detail levels on your map, like not too many high poly entities etc.

Things will only get better, but it might take a while.

Van-B

Put away, those fiery biscuits!
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 11:06
Also I am working on a limb culling code (DBP currently only culls entire objects and backfaces) which may be in Riker9 if I get it going well enough. Of course I may be just wasting my time if they add octree and/or occlusion culling to DBP first.

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 11:21
Also it depends on your system specs

But one good way to optimize the levels would be not to use too many dynamic objects. Dynamic objects in fpsc, has to be checked every loop, to see what it's hitting and how it should react, this also take some work for fpsc to do. While static objects will be a part of the level geometry, which is much faster. Also you could try using trigger zones to activate the enemies AI when you're close to them, instead they use it useless places, and when they do not need it. You could eventually spawn enemies inside a room, when the player has reached the door, that lead inside the room.

-The Nerd

PanzerGameshere
Free Particle Engine For dbpro :
here
Mabuggi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 12:16
The nerd -

Good call

Could you elaborate on how to activate an AI script from a trigger zone?

I know it uses the fpi for the zone and the ACTIVATE function.....

DAB Studios
Zorbtek Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm sure there are ways around it... But, really, there should'nt be a need for that, I do hope the problem may be fixed.. and I'm sure it very much will be, this version almost seems like an early adopter if anything.

For now I'll wait a bit for an updated demo before I buy... Everything looks great, just plays a little bad (In the demo the AI is an idiot, I was running in circles in a room and doing figure eights, the AI would just follow my path and never shoot me)
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 13:11
@Mabuggi:

Make two rooms, which is connected with two doors door. Place a player start marker in one of the rooms. Now place an trigger zone in the same room as the player, just before one of the doors that leads to the next room. Now go into the other room and place 1 enemy. Go into the enemys properties and change it name to "enemy". Now you go down under the enemys "Respawn". First you set the "Spawn at start?" to "no". Now you change the "0" in "Max at any time" and "Maximum spawn" to "1".
Put the "Spawn after delay?" to "yes". Now go down and change the "Number to spawn" to "1". Now the enemy is set! Let's go back to the trigger zone. Right click on the trigger zone, first we need to change the main script to "plrinzoneactivateused.fpi". When you've done that go down to "If used" and write the enemy name, which is "enemy". Done! The enemy will now first spawn when you walk into the trigger zone!

Test the game and try first to walk through the door where the trigger zone is not placed. No enemy right? Now go back to the room and try to move through the door where you placed the trigger zone, now you should see an enemy in the other room!

Hope it helps

-The Nerd

PanzerGameshere
here
Mabuggi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 15:06
Cheers bro -

Another hurdle conquered. Thank you for a concise and truely helpful response.

I hope you have a very merry xmas and a FPSC filled New Year. (Ive taken a week off work especially to get my head down on my project )

Mabuggi

DAB Studios
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 16:38
Cheers

Glad I could help

-The Nerd

PanzerGameshere
here
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 17:25
You should know better then that, the nerd, many of us are underaged. (refering to the beer icon)

Merranvo, The Cool One

Anti-Noob Justice League, an ANJL of Mercy.
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 17:27
Quote: " You should know better then that, the nerd, many of us are underaged. (refering to the beer icon)"

Well.... It just looks cool with a beer... Instead of a cup of coffe

-The Nerd

PanzerGameshere
here
Dog
Years of Service
User Offline
Nerd,

Great job on the short tutorial! Do you know if this practice has a positive effect on game load times and frame rate? Trigger Zones vs. entities which is best practice that increases game frame rate?
GJ!
Dog
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 18:02 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2005 18:07
Quote: "Do you know if this practice has a positive effect on game load times and frame rate?"

I can't see how it should have a positive effect on game loading. It still has to load the models before it can use them, so your game won't have a faster loading time because of it. But it surely have a positive effect on the fps. Think about this:

Every dynamic object in fpsc need to be checked every loop to see if they hit something and how they should react(as said above). Now lets say you start in the beginning of the level and you have a loong way to a room where you have dynamic objects... Now would you have the game should check those entities even if the player can't see them? Or even know they are there? Of course not! So just before the player enters the room, an activation of the dynamic entities happens, and from now on they are gonna be checked. This way they will only be checked when needed Of course they will from then on be checked through the rest of the level.

Quote: "Trigger Zones vs. entities which is best practice that increases game frame rate?"

Hmmm, you can't really put them up against each other. But trigger zones can help you. You could eventually have a room with objects that first got spawned when the player stood outside the door. If this was dynamic entities, they would not take any frame rate on calculating what they hit and how they should react, before they point where they are actually needed. Although be carefull with this little trick. If you wanna spawn too many entities at once, the game will freeze after how many entities it has to activate and place. So don't use a trigger zone to spawn many objects But it should easely handle a few.

-The Nerd

PanzerGameshere
here
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 18:15 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2005 19:15
It's called Riker9.

Chris: Oh god it feels good to be outta the F**king shoos!
Sterling: I know! It feels good to be outta these cloths too!
Wheelgator is a ricist. What? I swear! He called me a n***r!
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 18:54 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2005 19:07
Quote: " It's called Riker9, f*gmasters!"

Why do you have to say it such a hard way? We know that it exist, but it's not out yet... So we can't use it.

PanzerGameshere
here
Pulsar Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Could "Always active? No" have the same result that the trigger zone?
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 19:32 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2005 19:35
@Pulsar Coder:

I guess you have a point there
But I don't know if it's only counting for the script or for the whole model.

Hmmm, I think it have the same result actually.... Why oh why didn't I found this option... Well atleast you could use the trigger zone for removing those extra polygons, I don't think Fps Creator hides what it can't see very well yet, although i'm not sure.

But in one of the example levels that follow with Fps Creator, I see that they use the trigger zone technic for enemys.... So i'm not sure if it actually have the same result.... Although it seems logical that it have And with the "Always active?" option, it's also a question of how far the player are before it's getting activated.

-The Nerd

PanzerGameshere
here
Dog
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey,

So are we of the opinion that having always active set to NO will net the same result as having an activation zone as far as optimizing the frame rate?
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 00:14 Edited at: 24th Dec 2005 00:25
Quote: "So are we of the opinion that having always active set to NO will net the same result as having an activation zone as far as optimizing the frame rate?"

See, i'm not quite sure of that. I don't know how big the radius must be before it will activate the object. While using the trigger zone, you will know when it's gonna be activated. Also using spawning(with the trigger zones) will spare the level for some polygons before it needs to use them.

[EDIT]:

Just looked in the manual. What it do is that it de-activates the AI script for the enemy when the player is too far away. This helps because then the game won't have to check for the enemy when not needed. So I think this option do just about the same as using the trigger zone method. Also another good method of spare some calculations would be to give the enemy the fpi script "AppearNoGravity.fpi", This means that it will not obay the laws of physic gravity. You could use this for enemies in a room where there are no stairs and things it need to move up and down on etc. You could maybe also achive this by turning of the physics in the enemies properties.

-The Nerd

PanzerGameshere
here
Dog
Years of Service
User Offline
Dog--->Scratches head... Me thinks me likes the trigger option best. Thanks for the thoughts!

Dog
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 02:47
I tried testing something out...

I made 2 rooms, put the player in one and an enemy in the other. I used the view that lets you see the current portals or whatever, and could see the enemy throught it! (see attached image) I beleive that using both triggers + the always active set to no is best.

Also, if I looked to the left it dissapeard (along with a door and the floor in that room) see next post.

Work Hard. Do Your Best. Share The Glory. Do It Again.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 02:48 Edited at: 24th Dec 2005 02:49
Second image

EDIT: Seems to me the hiding of objects needs work...

Work Hard. Do Your Best. Share The Glory. Do It Again.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Dog
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Conner,

How did you switch to the portal view and what does this show you?

Dog
Pulsar Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I beleive that using both triggers + the always active set to no is best."

Yeah, I agree. With the trigger you control when the object is spawn for the first time and with the "is always active" property set to "no" you can control whether the game-engine continues to process FPIs attached to the object when it is too far away from the player. However, I guess that even when scripts are not processed the object is still visible (so consumes part of the rendering process).
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 11:01
Yup, I though that they needed to take care of the hiding system too.

-The Nerd

PanzerGameshere
here

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 23:50:07
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 23:50:07