Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Breakout Clone with Level Editor

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2006 03:41
3 MB Download: http://www.shrikesoftware.com/SmashBall.zip

I've never worked with a full 2d game before so I was interested to try my hand at it. Breakout seemed like a good place to start. I began the game this summer and after a little less than a week it was pretty much done. And I just realized I totally forgot to release it!

Right now its nothing special, just a good breakout clone that lets you create your own levels and has some cool features (any sized brick you want, place bricks down to the exact pixel). Depending on my mood I might continue to work on it and do some unique things.

Let me know what you think!

Current features:
18 different powerups
10 Levels
Different types of bricks (exploding, invulnerable, etc.)
Level editor

Stuff to do in the future:
Full 50 playable levels
Moving bricks
More unique powerups
More powerfull level editor
Better/more backdrops

Oh and press 1 to turn the music off, 2 to turn it back on (haven't gotten around to an options menu).

If you have any suggestions for powerups or gameplay ideas let me know.

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2006 12:49 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2006 12:52
Ok, I'll be the first to say that I LOVE this! I know its "just" breakout, but you've got all the important elements in there, some really cool powerups, clean, crisp graphics, and smooth play.

The level design is REALLY good. The second level is particularly pretty. Very well designed. The Level editor is very nicely put together, I like the fake window style. The only problem I could find was that the music sounded very low bit rate, I got a lot of hiss through my (admitedly VERy loud and Amplified) speakers.

All in all for a weeks work that is great I'll actually leave this on my hard drive to play more when I get time.

As for features / suggestions to add, well perhaps an "easy" option thats at half to quarter speed for more frelaxed play, its very fast, which is great, but sometimes you just want to chill a bit and enjoy the thereputic tonking around of a ball

Also, I don't know whether you added this, but in some of my favourite breakout/arkanoid games there are enemies that come out of certain blocks when you hit them and walk around randomly till you hit them - in my all time facourit breakout clone "Cryst-Ball" for the Supervision, these are played by gormless looking Penguins

Preorder EA here:http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=67575&b=8&p=0
+ Model Pro out now in Program Announcements!
UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
That looks cool! I will try it later when I can.

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia-Fear of long words
Math89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2006 20:36
Exellent game ! A little bit fast sometimes but so fun .
Kain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2006 07:04
Sorry for the delay in response, been a bit busy.

Thanks for the feedback guys, its much appreciated. I've had a number of people tell me its too fast/hard so I think I will have to bring that down a notch. I should have time to get back to work on it once I get settled back into my dorm this week so I expect to have it finished within the next few weeks or so.

Any other suggestions are more than welcome!

soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2006 11:23
Looks great, will try it out as soon as I get some free time.

I AM A MORON
and won't change my sig until I get off my oversized behind and finish a project.
MMORPG programs
Years of Service
User Offline
addicting
Kain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2006 06:50
Thanks for the comments.

Just a quick update. The game is very nearly done. Pretty much everything off the to-do list, now just adding the final touches such. A list of the new stuff to expect in the final version:

Warp portals: sends the ball through a wormhole and out of another portal

Gravity well: localized gravity distortions that pull the ball toward them and mess with its path

Moving bricks: level editor allows you to assign up to 18 waypoints for each brick and the amount of time you want the brick to take to get there

Nukes: Start with one, get one every 5000 points. Right click to pull the ball back to the paddle. Aim with a target recticle and fire (large explosion ensues )

Lightning Round (not in yet): infinite wall of solid bricks falls downward as the ball continues to speed up. See how long you can last.

Options menu

High score table

50 Levels

I'll probably release a demo version with 10 levels and a limited level editor and sell the full 50 levels+fully functional editor for 5$ if there's interest.

Anyway I've attached a screen from one of the demo levels with warp portals.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2006 22:51
Very very cool

Fps world of mayhem 10%

Computer Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2006 19:52
I love breakout I'll download later.

Need Tutorials? New to DarkBASIC? - http://jonsdbpage.tripod.com
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2006 21:11 Edited at: 14th Feb 2006 21:33
Really great game here, I could play this at work for hours. Unlike some games I've tested the music is decent too. TGC should add this to the dbpro showcase!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-17 06:25:46
Your offset time is: 2024-06-17 06:25:46