Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Mind Control Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2006 21:58 Edited at: 28th Jan 2006 05:28
Hi,

This is a project that's based on a test I read about some time ago. Basically, the program picks a random number of One or Zero. Then the program divides how many ones and how many zeros have been chosen with the total amount of times one of those numbers has been picked.

Here is the source code if you're interested. You might need DBPro to run it:

Here are some screen shots. It is a very simple program that doesn't even require any media.

Now, the books that I've read said that people can actually change the outcome of a random situation, such as flipping a coin, by simply thinking about it. The books usually said that it takes a large group of people focusing on a single outcome to effect any sort of change. So if you know anybody who's willing to try, then get a group together and report the findings.

I'm interested to know the results. I've also created a Flash MX game that'll be appearing on my website soon.

Thanks!

[p.s.: if you want to take an in game picture, then just press the 'p' button]

www.fishbrosentertainment.com
the Last Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2006 22:03 Edited at: 24th Jan 2006 22:03
And here's the executable. 2 mbs.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2006 22:29
I focused my mind on 0 and it didn't get picked more than 1 did.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
1GB DDR-SDRAM (May increase to 2GB one day)
512MB ATI Radeon X1800 Series - Finally! A card that does pixel shaders correctly!
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2006 23:16
I focused my mind on 42 and it didn't get picked more than 0 or 1 did

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
the Last Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 01:56 Edited at: 25th Jan 2006 02:20
Hi,

Quote: "I focused my mind on 0 and it didn't get picked more than 1 did."

Really? Thanks for trying it, however.

Quote: "I focused my mind on 42 and it didn't get picked more than 0 or 1 did"

42 isn't an option.

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 02:04 Edited at: 25th Jan 2006 02:07
He was joking...

Kind of cool...but it doesn't work...

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia-Fear of long words
FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 03:33
Yeah, Hawkeye certainly knows where his towel is.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
1GB DDR-SDRAM (May increase to 2GB one day)
512MB ATI Radeon X1800 Series - Finally! A card that does pixel shaders correctly!
coolgames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 05:24
Defenitaly doesn't work. Zero got picked more then one.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 10:40
It's like people who "just know" what sex an unborn baby will be...50% are right, 50% are wrong.

This experiment is about probability. Even though the chance each time is 50/50, probability is driven by past results affecting future guesses. The result is that you get slightly more than a 50% success rate.

the Last Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 20:00
Hi,

Here is an article I found on the internet about the human mind being able to manipulate a computer.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/3.04/pear.html

Here is a good qoute from it:

Quote: "Nearly a hundred volunteers have conducted 212 million REG trials during the 15 years of the lab's existence, and the research shows a tiny but statistically significant result that is not attributable to chance. "

Quote: "The effects that the volunteers accomplish are very small, but amazing. "The operators are roughly altering one bit in 1,000," explains Michael Ibison, a British mathematical physicist who has come to work for a year at PEAR after stints at Siemens, IBM, and Agfa. "That means if you had a coin toss, psychokinesis could affect one of those coin tosses if you tossed a thousand times.""

I don't know about any of you, but I find this very fascinating. Think of the possibility if a video game could be affected by our thoughts. We could control our character with our mind, or have a game where what we think becomes what happens in the game.

http://www.princeton.edu/~pear/

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 22:08
If you want to believe you can change the voltage on a specific transistor amidst billions of others by thinking about it, carry on.

By the way, depositing £10,000 in my bank account can change your life forever. Mail me for details.

Relativity
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2006 02:02
I find this subject fascinating TLP. However, there is a problem with the way you address this subject in your program. The "Wired" article stated that only one in 1,000 bits were affected by operators. Your program, on the other hand, only displays the precents in integers, meaning your accuracy is one in 100. Try increasing the accuracy to 1 in 10,000 or 100,000 to make it even clearer.

Also, it would appear that the random number generator in DB is not random enough for this experiment as with over 700 loops I had such a large discrepency between 0 and 1 (48 and 52). At 700, according to the PEAR research results, it is extremely unlikely that I would have influenced the computer enough to account for that large a discrepancy.

But maybe I'm just talented

The force will be with you. Always.
the Last Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2006 02:59 Edited at: 26th Jan 2006 03:09
Hi,

Quote: "If you want to believe you can change the voltage on a specific transistor amidst billions of others by thinking about it, carry on.
"

Maybe one day computers can be made that would be made to change according to our thought patterns. Maybe the way computers are made now keeps our influence out, except in every 1,000 bits.

Quote: "By the way, depositing £10,000 in my bank account can change your life forever. Mail me for details.
"

Really? Just give me your bank account number and I'll wire you the money!

Quote: "Try increasing the accuracy to 1 in 10,000 or 100,000 to make it even clearer.
"

I'll do that.

Quote: "Also, it would appear that the random number generator in DB is not random enough for this experiment"

I was also wondering about DBPro's random generating power. But then again, in every experiment I've done I always get 50%, so maybe you are just talented.

But really, all the harm this program can do is prove to people that they don't have psychic powers - or that they do...

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2006 03:27 Edited at: 26th Jan 2006 03:30
though controlling computers is still a fair way off. I've been caught a few times pondering how it could be done, The main one i'd throw money at is showing a person an image of a blue screen, then getting them to think about it and recording their brain activity, then showing them a few other colours and recording activity for those. Then having a program run where it reads their brain activity and if it matches teh colour, display that colour on the screen. so they think of blue and it comes out on the screen. Problem with that is that there are so many combinations of thought that it would be hard to get them to show more detail in an image on teh screen unless you have recorded a specific image, and even then it will have to be pre drawn.

edit: Although that has soem practical uses, for instance home control, "gee i think it should be 24 degrees in my home right now" bzzzzz *message sent to air conditioner* "ooh, nice temperature". or "gee i want those lights to turn on now" bzzzz*message sent to light switch*. Kinda sounds like a cyberpunk future.

Syndicate remastered: Corporate persuasion through urban violence.
the Last Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2006 05:29
Hi,

I've updated the original source code in the first post so that the program runs inside a small window, not fullscreen anymore.

Thanks.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2006 19:07 Edited at: 30th Jan 2006 19:07
Quote: ""gee i want those lights to turn on now" bzzzz*message sent to light switch*"

great, then we could live out entire lives in one spot, turning into a fat gelatinous mass...

"We make the worst games in the universe..."
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2006 23:55 Edited at: 10th Feb 2006 23:56
lol

Edit:
Sorry didn't realise the thread was dead

Theme park simulator 5% Currently making menus
Amd Silver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2006 03:22
It worked every time for me but im just like that.

I like lights... and bombs I like them too.
"All your base base base all your base are belong to us"
"What happen? Someone set us off the bomb."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-17 08:10:15
Your offset time is: 2024-06-17 08:10:15