Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / I think my time may have come :'(

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 08:49 Edited at: 25th Apr 2006 01:59
Well, after having lost almost all my maps to some retarted eror, I'm sorry to anounce that my time here may be up. I love FPSC veerry much, but cannot deal with all the bugs, erors and limitations of the engine/editor (editor mainly).

Although I am still very much admiring of the whole setup, I feal it is time to move on to something diferant, maybe more powerful.

I'd like to thank everybody for such a great time, all the help, all the funny comments and the suport.

I may be back someday, just to see how progres is coming with some of the more promissing looking games, and to check on FPSC its self. Who knows, maybe someday I'll even start it up again . But for now,

So long my friends, and remember this:

Its time to kick ass and chew bubble gum, LONG LIVE ROCK!

Mabuggi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 09:40
DUDE

DUDE

DUDE

Dont go! My Bros working on those segments for ya! (They DO take ages man, perfection takes time!)

You still want em?

What platform you moving to? You a DBPro head? I havent touched FPSC for coming on 2 or 3 weeks. I still keep coming here to keep current - but I got my head down big time with DBPro and am making an FPS engine in that, whilst my fellow team members keep on at FPSC.

It would be a shame to have you leave my friend.

All the best

Mabuggi

DAB Studios
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 09:44
lol, no, i am leaningtword GSA6 or unity (requires a mac), but I still need to do some searching. I dont wanna use full hard coding, but still wanna be able to script.

I'm stil looking forward to the segmeants, just for fun now..... Gosh, it seams like soo long ago that i started up here.....

Oh well.

Your signature has been erased by a mod, because the mod was so jealous of it that he couldnt bare looking at it.
Mabuggi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 10:53
Yeah -

I think Im gonna use LUA on DBP so I can script like in FarCry, which has an awesome editor, and lets face it, an awesome engine.

Well I get those segments to you as soon as, man, and hope to see you around these parts again shortly.

Take it easy dude,

Mab.

DAB Studios
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 11:09
=ChrisB=,

Sorry too hear of your decision Chris - you have been around here a long time. I fully understand your frustration though and respect your decision.

Its getting increasingly difficult to deal with the FPSC issues and find workarounds for common bugs and problems when getting down to serious work.

I will use FPSC a little while longer to see if I can overcome some of the issues any further and keep an eye of any dev for the product, but may not be far behind you.

Other engines I use are getting their updates and I keep up with their potential and give them due consideration and will see how it goes.

After all making a game is the aim and we all have to do what we have to do to that end.

Still I am sad to see you go if you do and I wish you much success.

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 11:14
Thanks uman, I will miss you especialy (dont get any ideas, tho).

Although I think FPSC is one of the best engines avalible for a beginer, I'm ready for the next step. What other engines do you use?

Your signature has been erased by a mod, because the mod was so jealous of it that he couldnt bare looking at it.
Jordan Siddall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 11:23 Edited at: 25th Jan 2006 11:25
Chris don't go! Stay man, you can make a game wid me if ya want, tis lookin REAL good. It's got so much detail it has taken me a week to do 2 small rooms.

What are the Gamecreators doing?? They NEVER update the news, are they making a patch? TELL US DAMN IT!

My monkey says hello.. <Meow!
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 11:25
Woof woof! Lets see some pics?

Jordan Siddall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 11:27
Hehe, it's a big project.
I will have to email them to you tonight. Get you interested, can you script or model?
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 11:36
Well, I can rigg almost anything, i'm not so good at modeling, and I suk whoo whoo at scripts, but if u need some texture edirting or rigging doen..... I need to sort my own crap out first.

Jordan Siddall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 11:38 Edited at: 25th Jan 2006 11:39
Yeah okay cool.
I do need some texturing done for floors and walls. As I say I will send you some shots. It took me about 3 days just to make some computer screens turn on and off.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 11:42
=ChrisB=,

These days I only have A6 commercial and Torque that I use apart from FPSC.

Both of those have issues of course which are different for all engines. Recent updates and some to follow with them may make those more attractive. Updates of most engines take time, no less than TGC products - though with some others the developers make information on the progress of update developments and future more freely available than do TGC so that users can at least try and access the future potential of their chosen development tool to finish what they have started.

Now if I can just keep these frames rates from dropping off I would be like a Pig in - well muck.

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 11:42 Edited at: 25th Jan 2006 11:44
Oh. Dude, u need MSN. What is it? mine is undrgrndtw2@adelphia.net.

2uman: Sweet! I Have a copy of A6 pro, but I wont tell all the details here for fear of geting flammed. Is tourqu any good? Is a point and click?

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 11:47
Very little pointing or clicking in Torque. You wont get a lot done without in depth scripting.

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 11:48
...yea.

Jordan Siddall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 12:04
MSN: [href]JordanSiddall@hotmail.com[/href]
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 12:05 Edited at: 25th Jan 2006 12:06
Pimpin!
well..... get on!

Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey ChrisB, sorry to see you go (not that I'm around here much anyway)

If you want to move forward and especially with a more adequate engine, I'm affraid you'll have to pump up some scripting/coding skills. There are a ton of engines out there. Each with it's own strengths and weaknesses (sp?) but the more you advance the closer you will be to scripting/coding and far from pointing and clicking.

And while I put up my anti-flame vest I leave this last pearl, just my opinion of course:

There is a direct proportion between the amount of code/script you have to deal with and the quality of the engine you are using...

...and...

There is an opposite proportion between the amount of use you give to your mouse and the quality of the engine you are using...

Now, I'll just start running.

The only lazy people that can complete games are genius. You don't look like a genius, so you better stop being lazy.
Support your local Riker 9 Chapter.
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 12:18
i'M ALLREADY MODELING THE FUGGIN FLAME THROWER! (NOT REALY)

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 13:14
Picdate.

dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 14:13
Chris-

I went on to check out RealmCrafter and Torque.

RealmCrafter is a BlitzBasic-based MMORPG engine that is getting monthly updates, it has a ton of features now and the dev team is picking up steam. They are active on the boards. The scripting system is a version of basic. The modelling for it is very easy with all the tools you have already, and you can even write your own custom combat system with it... pretty cool! You can make pretty much anything you can think of with its scripting language that involves MMORPG. A downside is its graphics, only supports up to Directx7, which means no fancy shaders.

The other system I am checking out is Torque, the engine used for games like Tribes 2. It's pricier at around $100 for an Indie license but what I was able to do within a few days of getting it is really encouraging, and it *looks* awesome. You can go straight out of the box and build a ton of missions with it, but it is much more advanced, requiring changes to the C++ source code to add in new features. There is an extremely active development community, and a ton of resources to add in common features. I find the development with it to be much more difficult, but far more rewarding and the framerates are incredible. I can't think of a single complaint I've read yet about frame rates. I would only suggest Torque if you are ready to learn some about c++, at least be ready to change some source code according to instructions and can recompile.

It is not a 'drag and drop' engine by far. I dare to say you;ve learned quite a bit with experimentation with FPSC and will build on those skills. I check back here every so often to see if there is some progress. The lack of a single post by a developer as to what is coming in the future is a big turnoff, but it is of course their choice.
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 14:22
Yea... I just talked to muke, no comments from him:-s. But we should talk on MSN sometime, your never on anymore .

Tourqu looks good, but I'm leaning tword Unity, as a Mac is in the near future or me.

I dont know, I realy dont.

Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
You can work with Torque on a Mac also.

The only lazy people that can complete games are genius. You don't look like a genius, so you better stop being lazy.
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 15:15
Yea, but I like the look of Unity more.

Gamz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 20:49 Edited at: 25th Jan 2006 20:51
Chris! At least wait until Riker 9 maybe to see what happens!But it your choice man,and I'll be sad to see you go Since everyone saying just how frustrating the engine is, I am putting off buying FPSC,at least until it improves and I see how the greatly anticipated Riker 9 does.

/.,.\-Meh? Everyone loves fat penguins!
((_ _)) Support your local Riker 9 Chapter.
Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 21:52
Hey Chris. You may not want to continue to develop games with FPSC, but you don't have to "leave". A lot of ppl on these forums use other dev tools too, while "toying" around with things like FPSC. Its still fun to click around. I gave up trying to learn to code with DBP many months ago (limitations on my brain), but never uninstalled it, now I'm back to trying again. So, stick around mate.
tpfkat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 22:45
dpharoah, could you email me with some idea about torque and how it works, ive seen the demos but not actually used it. whats involved.

the programmer formarly known as thicko.
ultraplex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 23:11 Edited at: 25th Jan 2006 23:13
k sad to see u go,but hey there u go,so there wont be a weapons pack from u now then?

PATERAAK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 23:24 Edited at: 25th Jan 2006 23:26
sorry to see ya go i did'nt know u much but ur scripts were great thx sorry to see ya go so's afro dude, chickky and pingu

I SEE DEAD PEOPLE
Wyatt Earp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 23:40
Conitec A6 is junk. I have it, you can take it off my hands for free.

If I run into anymore bugs I am going to dump FPS myself. There are too many headaches, letdowns and unexpected errors.

Thanks for your input ChrisB and good luck with you future projects!
Aoneweb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 23:57
Check out Quikly Game pro, it will be able to convert games into DBP code and stuff.
Here is the forum link.
http://www.quikly.com/forums/index.php?sid=36daa2f0bce55493d8d838d9557d6857

Wyatt Earp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2006 00:01
I spotted that web page but half of it didnt work.

Looks like the most popular message posts are about bugs...
Aoneweb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2006 00:09
The site is being updated, The product is still in EA, the main release is set for Feb 14th, I have the EA version, and it is running very well so far.

RastaMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2006 00:11
I too have not developed much since V1 came out and I ran into issues. Bad thing is, no official words from the top! No words of any patches, or anything of that nature.

I have A6 Commerical and I may be going back to it myself. I have looked at torque, but I am not C++ programmer and seems like you have to know a bit of C++ to really get ahead, and even to compile your torque game. But I am not looking to have a FarCry like game. I came to FPSC for ease of use. But there are many issues with it.

There are a LOT of things in FPSC that needs attention, and we all chat about it, but the top heads have not confirmed/denied or commented on them. I don't want to take the long walk on another road of another creation system, but it looks like soon I will have to follow path of Chris and focus my efforts elsewhere.

FPSPack will still be there for FPSC users though...

Aoneweb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2006 00:18
I am sorry to go on about it, but you all knew that FPSC was developed with DBPro, which also has bug issues, I know TGC are trying to sort the bugs out, but I would have thought you would do that before writing a new product with it.
It's a shame FPSC was not developed with C++, or C# or such like, it may have been more stable.
I think TGC may have shot themselves in the foot this time, hope they get it sorted before we loose more talented people like Chris to other Dev software.

RastaMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2006 00:28
I haven't left just yet, but its coming. It's been 5 months since the V1 release and nothing from above. Except 1 model pack.....

I check here 2-3 times daily looking for news of improvements, but nothing. As for DBPro, I have seen some awesome demos and games created with DBPro. FPSC is on its way, limited, yes, thats fine with me, but I think TGC, after the release of V1 has gone on Vacation. And FPSC V1 is starting to look like a 'finished and thats all there is' product. No news from the developers on what the future of FPSC hold in 5 months after initial release. Well, thats a long time, even if it was just a brain-storming post by them, which has not happened either.

Aoneweb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2006 00:34
Even the developers diaries were pulled, so we can’t go there to see what’s going on.
I hope we will get an answer soon, but I too fear that the product will not be developed any further than it’s current version, I hope I am wrong.

ultraplex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2006 00:38
there not arsed they got our money and they dont give a f**k

Aoneweb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2006 00:45
Quote: " there not arsed they got our money and they dont give a f**k"

I appreciate your frustration, I also think the help on this forum is not very good, and we do get talked down too, but I think your statement is a bit strong, they would have no business if they really din’t give a damn, although it does seem like that sometime, especially the way some Mods treat us.

RastaMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2006 01:16 Edited at: 26th Jan 2006 01:17
To my dismay, I decided to hunt around the DBPro Forum (I bought that awhile back as well) and found that most, if not all TGC crew are posting recently and often within the DBPro board, as well as moderators by the handful.

So I think its safe to say that these forums (FPSC) are just here to collect chat and nothing more. The only time you hear from a higher power in 'these' forums are when locking a topic or when the title has something to do about purchase.

Sorry, getting a bit ticked here, so I'll stop at this point before explosion.

Aoneweb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2006 01:23
You may have a point, it does seem that way, but you know we are in for it don't you, just wait a while.

RastaMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2006 01:26
Yea, I know.. Just waiting for the axe to strike..

Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2006 02:40
Seeya bro

The funky fresh is back in the flesh with vengence homes!
transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2006 04:47
DB/ DBPro has been around for five years plus, and is TGC's flagship product. Most of the mods are committed DBPro developers.

Whether we like it or not they will always come first. We are the new guys and will have to prove ourselves before they give us the same attention.

Given the erratic nature of these forums lately that could be a while.

instinct is more valuable than intelligence.....
Undercover Steve
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2006 05:34
mods dont do anything:S. Developers do. Riiight. Erratic. ermm.. only 4 or so. Prove yourselves? It was lost before it began. Most members here *couldnt* prove themeselves to the other members. Check DarkBasicPro Chat out. Compare it to here. Never, ever, ever do they compare. Most games are cookie cutters. And guess what? This place is so dark, MODERATORS FEAR IT. (partly) If you checked other forums out besides this you would know Rich left during the weekend, and the server crashed. Dear lord Why do I try.

We have fallen Into an abyss! Dear God captian! There all Bars.
transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2006 06:39
If the mods fear this place it's because of meaningless rants like this.

instinct is more valuable than intelligence.....
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2006 09:22 Edited at: 26th Jan 2006 09:29
Sorry to see you go =ChrisB=.
I'm not going anywhere.
I am going to try out DBPro as soon as I can.
I hope you change your mind and tough it out with the rest of us.
The other engines I have looked at are far more complicated than this, and all have bugs and issues.
That fact is, if FPSC had a Save/Load feature then FPSC would be perfect for any beginning developer.
That's really the only improvement that is a mandatory one, as the rest are trivial.
The few problems the forums have seen are few and minor and have been resolved long ago.

FPSC was released 9-22 wasn't it?
That's only 4 months not 5, and neither is long enough to expect a new version announcment.
That's not long enough for me to abandon ship either.
Hang in there Dude, its gonna get better.
The longer Riker 9 takes, then more people will be impatient and get DBPro and start building their own.
The FPSC updates are coming, and TGC never said that there wouldn't be a version 2.

Whatever you can imagine, you can animate. --- Walt Disney
All too easy. --- Darth Vader
Just do it! --- Nike
Origin
Years of Service
User Offline
I like FPSC cus it's NOT perfect... as RastaMan said:
Quote: "There are a LOT of things in FPSC that needs attention"

It need a little attention and lovin'
Thats all!!

Buy the enhanchements pack and start coding!!

I don't wanna fight no union!

FREE SPEECH FOR ALL!! but, not mod's... hahahaha!!!
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It need a little attention and lovin'"

I guess our difference of opinion is that I don't pay to give attention and loving.

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2006 20:53 Edited at: 25th Apr 2006 02:04
Well, godbye all, maybe I'll se ya around sometime... I'll post back here occasionaly to see whats going on, maybe even take a look at R9... When I finish the project I have had in my head for a long time, I'll come tell ya about it. If anyone wants to work on it with me, I'll have a look at your skilz.....

Good bye all, and good luck.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 07:32:03
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 07:32:03