Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / FreshGUI v1

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 23:32 Edited at: 29th Oct 2006 01:32
FreshGUI v2.1
The graphical user interface designed for games

New version released! Please update to v2.1b if you are using a previous version of FreshGUI!

Latest Version: FreshGUI v2.1b

Changelog/i]

FreshGUI is a graphical user interface for games, developed using Cloggy's wonderful DLL. Unlike BlueGUI, which accesses the Windows API, FreshGUI is completely coded in DarkBASIC Professional and is designed to be used in games, not applications (although it can certainly be used for them). FreshGUI is an open-source project, and may be freely used and modified to fit your purposes, as long as the license is followed.

Key Features:
- Easy to implement and get started
- Customizeable templates defined in INI files
- Fast, modular code
- Designed for games from the ground up
- 10 Gadgets available, with over 55 commands

Command List:

To Use FreshGUI
- Download the latest version from the link above, unzip.
- Install the latest version of Cloggy's D3D DLL, and IanM's Matrix_1_Data DLL
- To use FreshGUI in your projects, include the "FreshGUI-Include.dba" file

The FreshGUI license is included in the FreshGUI-Include.dba file, but to sum it up: FreshGUI may be used for any purpose, commercial, shareware, or freeware, as long as credit is provided in your project, and the FreshGUI-Include.dba file used for your project is provided in the installation folder, so others can benefit from any modifications you have made.

I hope you enjoy using FreshGUI

Myopia - My blog
FreshGUI v2.1 - The open-source game ui

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Just downloaded and am looking forward to trying it out. I'll post up opinions later.

[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/Fryedrycestyle]

[/url]
Matt G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2006 04:38
Cool, downloading now cant wait to test it

http://www.dbgames.0nyx.com/ - free models & textures
coolgames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2006 05:00
When I tried to compile, it said "function does not exist errorMessage". I had to make a message box function that showed the error for it to compile. Don't know why.

Now that I've gotten it to compile, looks great! Keep it up!

outSync
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm...my bad on the errorMessage command - I think that's a BlueGUI command, so if you don't have BlueGUI, it wouldn't work. I'll get around to changing it for the next version so it's a bit more universal.

Thanks for the compliment though If you have any suggestions/critiques for the next version, please let me know - I'm compiling a list and if I get enough interest, will release a second version.

http://myopia.c-reality.com - programming + life
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2006 09:41 Edited at: 17th Mar 2006 17:46
Aaaawww... This is just one awesome GUI you got there, I will definetly use it for my racing game in development now!

BTW! You should use new D3D dll from Cloggy, because it contains an additional parameter for D3D_Font, this is the font measurement. You should set this to 1 and your GUI will work like a charm!

[Edit]
I have found a bug where the box gadget is on top of the button gadget!

Also the list box's item text are breaking out of it's native window, can you do something about this!

"Gangsters die, they don't go to heaven where angels fly!"
AMD Sempron 3.1+ Ghz, 512MB Ram, ATI R9550 256MB Ram, Sound Blaster Live!, WinXP SP2, DirectX 9.0c
outSync
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2006 22:08 Edited at: 17th Mar 2006 22:24
Okay, I've released a quick update to the code which fixes some of the problems mentioned. Not all of them are fixed, but the one's that could be handled with minor adjustments to the code have been. The first post in this topic has been updated to reflect those changes. The attachment containing the newest vesion of FreshGUI is on this post, and the link to it is on the first post.

The biggest change is that no number needs to be specified when creating a list box item. The only values to pass are that of the parent gadget, and the list box item string.

As for your other problem (that of the item text breaking the list box window), that will be fixed in the next version (which shouldn't be too far down the lane, a week, maybe less). If it's a huge issue for you, I'll sit down and write a new update specifically for that, but if it can wait, I'll just implement it into version 2.

On an ending note, I'm sure everyone will be pleased with version 2 I plan on doubling the amount of gadgets, implementing a more extensive parent/child system, and if it works out, an Event based system a la BlueGUI.

Attachments

French gui
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2006 22:47
Wow, a program about ME? Thank you, it's very ni... oops sorry, it's Fresh gui not French gui...

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2006 12:41 Edited at: 18th Mar 2006 12:46
Okay new bug report:

1) Still cant compile if user have an updated version of Cloggy's D3D Dll, please pay attention to this as the D3D_Font now got an adittional parameter!

2) You should update example code as the FUI_ADDLISTITEM() parameters are changed now!

3) Forgot to mention, but INPUT GADGET should also receive BACKSPACE commands, this is also very important as the immposibility of removing entered text is not a quite professional behaviour!

... but all together great update, keep up the good work!

AMD Sempron 3.1+ Ghz, 512MB Ram, ATI R9550 256MB Ram, Sound Blaster Live!, WinXP SP2, DirectX 9.0c
outSync
Years of Service
User Offline
@Olby - The newest version does NOT support the latest version of Cloggy's DLL. V1.2 will, and does. I just took the time to update recently for the change from FreshGUI v1.1 to v1.2. As such, the code does not reflect the changes to the D3D_Font command.

I forgot to change the example code, but it's just a minor update concerning AddListItem. And if I remember correctly, it's actually a DBPro bug that does not allow backspace commands to be accepted in Entry$(). It should be fixed in U6.0, so I'm really just waiting for that (although if anyone knows a workaround, I'd be happy to hear it!).

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2006 15:58
thats not a bug entry works exactly as it should, its your job to add backspace support, i havent actually tested it yet as i dont think it will work due to me having he new cloggys dll, one thing tho the up/down looks pretty bad any plans to add a scrollbar?

Halowed are the ori.
outSync
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " thats not a bug entry works exactly as it should, its your job to add backspace support"

Well, I seem to remember something in the U6.0 updates about fixing entry, so I certainly could be wrong on that account. If you would have taken the time to check the code for FreshGUI before making the above statement, you would realize that the code is in there to support backspace, but either it's having problems recognizing the ASCII code (8 is backspace), or the code is messed up (and to my knowledge, it shouldn't be - everything checks out). Also, as stated in my last post, if my code is incorrect, please feel free to point that out to me. Just don't make the assumption that I haven't at least tried programming it in

The new DLL works just fine, you just need to add ",1" at the end of the three "d3d_font" commands contained in the code.

Although I'll agree that maybe "up" and "down" aren't the hippest things around, I just didn't feel like making a true scroll bar. I think it works quite well, and seperates FreshGUI from a more traditional GUI (and really, I like having both buttons in the same spot for convenience's sake). Perhaps while I'm working on modifying the list box code to support the changes in v1.2, I'll add the option for a more traditional scroll bar (which might look pretty cool, if implemented correctly). FreshGUI is really a side project I developed for use in one of my games, so it's not a full-fledged super-duper GUI (although if the community supports it, I'm more than interested in developing it until it has the all the features people want in a game GUI).

Anyhow, I'm not sure if I'll continue developing this much beyond v1.2. Granted, I've only given this a couple of days, but support for development isn't there (considering almost 200 views, and 3 (or 4) interested parties). If no one is using this, or interested in further development, I'll make 1.2 the final release. I don't see much sense in wasting my time developing something that no one is interested in using (or, using, but not taking the time to make a quick post to say that they are, or a little encouragement here or there ).

Tony30
Years of Service
User Offline
Please continue your work outSync

I will use FreshGUI for sure, there is no good UI for 3D
I would like to see "window" "button" other cool feature in FreshGUI

many thanks for this GUI

Regard
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2006 08:50
also the fact that entry$() cannot have a backspace since all it returns is a string perhaps you were thinking of input command.

also backspace is keystate 14, i think that people would be interesting in a gui system, perhaps if you added support for maybe sprites so you can have nice rounded edges and things or make some examples showing how it would be usefull in peoples games.

Halowed are the ori.
Newbie5UK
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry coudl some one please explain the changes to make the example run with Cloggy's latest Dll thx
Cloggy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2006 14:43
OutSync,

This interface looks very nice indeed .Good to see someone making good use of my dll.

I know how frustrating it is when people don't seem to be overly interested in a project you've put alot of time into, I've only had a handful of people seem interested in the dll, although looking around the forums it seems more people are using it than I thought.

Anyway, keep up the good work , oh and I've been looking at a system for creating 2d mouse collision zones, maybe that is something that would be useful to you.

Cheers,

Cloggy
outSync
Years of Service
User Offline
@Newbie5UK - Simple load up FreshGUI-Include.dba and scroll down to the FUI_SetTemplate function. Everywhere there is a D3D_FONT command, simple add a ",1" to the end, and FreshGUI v1.1 will compile with no problems using the latest version of Cloggy's DLL.

@Cloggy - Thanks for the kind words I don't think I've posted in your topic (ew, time to eat my words ), but your DLL is awesome, and inspired me to make this GUI a reality. As for the mouse collision zones...sounds like just what I need. I think I'm getting a lot of slowdown with my current routines.

As for the v1.2 update, progress is a bit slow, as I didn't program at all yesterday and will do nothing today either, but I've been working on the Input gadgets (adding backspace), and polishing up the list boxes (I think you'll enjoy the changes, Olby). I've also made pretty much ALL of the gadgets much easier to create (less arguments to pass), and in some cases, more flexible. Once Inputs and List Boxes are finished, I'm launching full-bore into adding all the gadgets I have planned, and start revealing a few screenshots. I reckon some screenshots either tomorrow or the day after, revealing some of the new changes

Newbie5UK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2006 19:09 Edited at: 20th Mar 2006 19:43
I tried as you said but still get an error on this line "gosub FUI_Init" of the example... label ? does not exist..

Edit - solved the above by including in Project, but still get error with the command below....

FUI_AddListItem(x,1,"List Box Item #"+str$(x))

Says Unkown paramenter... looks like there are parameters missing.... ????
outSync
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2006 19:45 Edited at: 20th Mar 2006 19:47
The problem is that I forgot to modify the example code. FUI_AddListItem does not require a gadget numbe anymore, so change the example code to read this: "FUI_AddListItem(1,"List Box Item #"+str$(x))", and it'll work just dandy!

Newbie5UK
Years of Service
User Offline
Getting an error "Can't Find BoxColour in D3D.dll" .... any ideas ?

You able to post the revised dbs example ?
outSync
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2006 22:55 Edited at: 20th Mar 2006 22:56
I'm guessing that has something to do with Cloggy's DLL. If you're using the latest version, ensure that you've updated your computer with the latest version of DirectX. If that doesn't fix it, you'll have to contact Cloggy - something's wrong with your install of the DLL.

As for a "revised" example, I can't really do that because I've changed the example to reflect the incorporated changes of v1.2, but the AddListItem code is the same, so just replace the current FOR NEXT statement with the code below:

If you still can't figure it out, wait until v1.2, which should be coming by the end of the week (although I give no promises!). I'll have a few more examples revealing various aspects of the new version, and more in-depth documentation, to speed you on your way

Cloggy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2006 23:25
Newbie5UK,

I've run this with the latest version of my dll(V3.2) and after adding a ,1 to the d3d_font command and making the change to the FUI_AddListItem command everything works fine.

Cheers,

Cloggy
Scilynt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2006 09:28 Edited at: 21st Mar 2006 09:29
The problem Newbie5UK is having is because he's compiling with a newer version in plugins-user, than the version that's supplied. When the app loads, the DLL in the same folder as the EXE is overriding the one compiled in. Rename or delete the DLL that's next to the compiled EXE, and everything should be fine.
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry, but I forgot about this admirable thread, so now I'm back and bookmarked it.

@outSync:
Please don't stop developing this gui, I like this minimalystic style you use. As for the polished gadgets, I'm very pedantic so I love to see that my gui is clear, works and is aligned well! As I said before keep up the good work and if you need any testing with this then just mail me - will answer you faster as I check this place only once or twice a day!

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Any updates? I'm burning on this!

outSync
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2006 22:57 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2006 01:04
Just a quick update on the progress of FreshGUI v1.2. I'm roughly 26% finished with the update, and most of the progress has been making FreshGUI easier to use, more effecient, and adding a few extra features. I've even seen a slight improvement of about 10 FPS over the previous version. Unfortunately, I did decide to drop the Windows gadgets, due to some complicated reasons. Maybe someday I'll resurrect them (I'm toying with a few ideas concerning a sprite-based FreshGUI).

Finished Changes:

Lots more to come! That's only about 1 fourth of the total update planned (8 out of 33 items in my To-Do list). More progress has been made than listed above, but those are things I've finished as of this post.

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Great I hope to see this update soon! Oh and by the would it be possible to make unlimited count of ListBoxMAXItems instead of 50? Or atleast we could specify (when we create it) how many items will there be allowed in maximum!

outSync
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2006 16:05 Edited at: 24th Mar 2006 16:07
You already can. If you read the example carefully, FreshGUI natively allows the creation of up to 100 list boxes, which can be dispersed throughout up to 10 list boxes (so, you could get around 10 items per list box, if you used 10 list boxes). This can be modified by changing the m_items constant in the include file to something else than 100 (200 to support up to 200 list box items, etc.). When you create a list box, the last value you pass (in the example's case, it passes the value of 50) sets the amount of items the list box can hold maximum (1-100).

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks a bunch, still waiting for the update!

outSync
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, with the advent of U6.0 being released very soon, and another version of the D3D dll being released, things have been pushed back a bit, but things are also looking a lot better for FreshGUI. I've started implementing some of the new gadgets and I've got some new ideas. Sadly, school has been dominating my time, so I don't have much work to show, but hopefully after this week things well get back on track. I'm gunning for it being released sometime next week, but I'm trying to make sure it's as bug-free as possible, and that slows down development time (not to mention all of these updates in DBPro and the D3D dll!).

With U6.0, backspace works 100% with the original code in FreshGUI v1.1, not to mention it compiles just fine, so if you download the almost-release version of 6.0, you'll have working backspace (well, I think so, anyways...). It seems that in 5.8-, backspace was recognizes as an ASCII character in entry$(), while in 5.9 it wasn't. 6.0 changed entry$() back to 5.8- standards, and it works just fine now

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2006 15:09 Edited at: 29th Mar 2006 18:43
Yeah I use U6 and backspace works for me already. Well then I'm waiting!

[edit] I'm toying with your GUI in my latest racing project, and I have to say it looks very cool, but due to lack of some gagdets I can't raplace fully my old GUI.

outSync
Years of Service
User Offline
If you wouldn't mind suggesting some gadgets, I'd be happy to look into implementing them into FreshGUI. Here are the planned gadgets for v1.2:

Give me a few suggestions, and I'll see about squeezing them into the next update. Some kinds of gadgets I've decided not to touch with FreshGUI, but if I feel comfortable adding the gadgets you want then I'll try and slap them into the setup. I've tried to add mostly game oriented gadgets (like in the list above), since that's the main focus, but if I can improve the overall menu functionality, I'd be happy to at least try

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2006 18:55 Edited at: 30th Mar 2006 18:59
I'm making a racing game so speedometer will be cool, I also need these for my options screen:

* Combo box (show only one item, to access menu needs to be clicked on small triangle );
* Check box;
* Text box that allows you to display and write multilined text would be also very cool, but not that important as these written above!

Have fun coding!
I really like your GUI, even it looks like HL2 but, hey, who cares, until it is coded in DBP, I like it!

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2006 19:23 Edited at: 7th Apr 2006 21:55
Hey outSync can you send your e-mail to me, I need talk to you private? Check out my profile for the address...

Nack
Years of Service
User Offline
Tried it. looks pretty awesome! Keep it up! Looks like a cool GUI.
Nack

DC got a name change.....^^
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
This project is dead or what?

outSync
Years of Service
User Offline
Lack of time. School, competitions, and generally life have gotten in the way. I'll post the update as soon as possible, but you'll have to just be patient. Sorry!

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry to have to bump this up but after changing the line to "FUI_AddListItem(1,"List Box Item #"+str$(x))" I get an error saying:
Could not understand command at line 95, which is :
Quote: "d3d_3dText 1,1,"FreshGUI",0.1,0,1"

How can I solve this?

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
@outSync: Can we have this long awaited update from you?

"Error at line 0 - Your game sucks. Try again loser..." (Cash Curtis II)
outSync
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Anime Blood - I'll have to take a look at the code sometime. I've been making some slight adjustments to the overall code, so look for a moderately decent update by the end of the week.

@Olby - Give me until the end of the week, and I'll launch a quick-fix with all the currently modified stuff in, along with a few other things. It should fix things like List Boxes, add Radio Buttons, and improve stability, ease of use, and functionality.

Eh?
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
You rock, cant wait till weekend!

Xolatron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 07:23
Wow... that looks awesome. Really nice.

By the way, if you need an alternative to the bluegui messageboxes...

See my really old thread for some messagebox code, somewhere in there, that works really well:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=57481&b=1

Quote: "School, competitions, and generally life have gotten in the way."

Yeah, that's what's kept me off hear since last summer .

Nice work!

-Xol
Nice work
ConorH
Years of Service
User Offline
any chance of making this open source?

Great UI btw

luffles

its my new rat tail dog!
ConorH
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry, hadn't downloaded ithe UI yet

Tard@me

its my new rat tail dog!
outSync
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, so it's really late, and relatively undocumented (I had this crazy idea to write example code for every gadget, and write complete documentation for everyone command, and well, it didn't work out), but here it is. I'll be updating the code on occasion, with additions like new themes, better example code, better/more documentation, but for now, I need to take a break from trying to get this out. I simply have no time (often, I leave home before 7 am, and don't get back until nearly 9 pm, and the last thing on my mind is programming). This project isn't dead, just slowed down considerably.

Please remember that this code is open-source, and you can change any of it at will! Feel free to try and add gadgets (I may include a tutorial later on on how to do that), make up themes, or do some general improvements. I only ask that you take the time to share your enhancements with the rest of the community. If it's a really decent enhancement, I may even include it in all official versions of FreshGUI. So experiment, and have fun!

Any questions on how to operate this new version? Get a hold of me here, or through my email, which is given in the zip file included.

Eh?

Attachments

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2006 20:06
Outsync - This is a really nice project, and I think it'd be really suited to the Blackout open source fps. It does need a bit of modification in its current state to make it fully usable, and I'll happily make the modifications that I feel are necessary (this won't be adding any features, more fine-tuning and fixing the existing ones). I will post my changes once they have made so that you can decide whether or not to include them in the official release. Cheers.

Join the BlackOut Forum Today
outSync
Years of Service
User Offline
@Hamish - Sounds great Glad FreshGUI will be of some use to someone! Feel free to make any changes you feel are necessary, and I would absolutely love to take a look at them. That was originally what I had in mind for FreshGUI - community enhancement. Let me know how everything goes, and if you have any questions, feel free to email me.

Eh?
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2006 05:14 Edited at: 21st Jun 2006 17:21
I have finished my changes for now. I ended up doing a lot of work on the code, though the visuals haven't changed one bit, and not all that much 'new' stuff has been added. However, I feel the overall system feels more complete now. Outsync, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding your place again to edit it if you take on these changes, most of the code structure is the same, just some of the finer workings have been altered, and I've tried to make it as clear as possible what is going on.

A changes log is included, but the main changes are listed here:

Download attached.

Attachments

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
@Hamish McHaggis - Man you ROCK! outSync did a great job coding this gui but you have finished it fully and now, I cant say more must go and code my interface right now!

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2006 20:59
No problems Olby. The credit still mainly goes to outSync, I was coding my own game menu-system, but this one showed how pants my system really was. I think the main things this project needs, some of which you mentioned, are:

- Check box (essential, and should be easy to add)
- Combo box (could be having a button of sorts which hides and shows a listbox, which would require slight alterations to the listbox type)
- Square Button (obviously just a visual enhancement, but square buttons seem more suited to certain functions)
- Enhanced input gadget, to include a text cursor so that you can add and delete text from different parts of the input text. Also drag-selecting chunks of text would be handy too. I'm not saying that this gui should turn into windows, but when I edit text there are certain standards I expect to be in place naturally
- Enhanced template control, so that gadgets adjust dynamically to changes in font size and style. Not so essential, but it would b make it that much more polished.
- Track bar gadgets. I.e. bars that slide up and down from 0 to 100 when dragged by the mouse.
- Labels, so that users don't have to worry about drawing text labels in realtime.
- Group boxes. Like boxes, but they are in the style of the listboxes, with a title at the top, and a main box below. Would just be for visual purposes.
- Image gadgets. Fairly simple, but not included yet!
- Some sort of grouping system. In a game menu you will want to always be hiding and showing gadgets as the user switches between menus, so some way to group them all together would be very handy. E.g. FUI_HideGroup() and FUI_ShowGroup(). Giving the groups positions would also be possible, so you could create gadgets relative to the groups, and then move them all around as one FUI_PositionGroup()
- Progress bar? Is this getting too specific? A bar that simply shows how much something has completed, you've seen them before when installing various programs.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 07:28:46
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 07:28:46