Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [STICKY] Ultimate Shader Pack

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2006 04:33 Edited at: 16th Oct 2006 04:35
Thanks for all the shaders Freddix. Are you condsidering to make another\modified shader pack? The more the better.

Visit my Airplane Engine thread in the WIP board.
Medieval Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
I dont think there are anymore to put in! If you find some post here and it will be added. Im certin that when Dark Shader comes out there will be more than enough shader effects for everything!

Benji
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2006 00:17 Edited at: 17th Oct 2006 00:18
Except you'll have to pay...

@ Freddix

I know where lots of non-DBP compatable shaders are. let me know if you can fix those non-working ones and I'll give you the link .

Visit my Airplane Engine thread in the WIP board.
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2006 20:48
Is there any chance of reviewing the various water shaders in the pack running under new 6.3 - they appear to have lots of problems, probably because of the camera command changes in 6.3 but I'm too thick to see if it's a DBPro bug or some of the commands need changing to get them working.

Boo!
EVOLVED
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2006 22:43
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2006 02:36 Edited at: 13th Nov 2006 02:37
Yes, they work just fine.

I see you changed camera numbers to be sequential, is that now important for shaders? Normal games seem to cope quite happily with non-sequential camera numbers, so I'm a bit confused as to what the hell the 6.3 change actually means;

Quote: "When a new camera is created it is internally sorted by index (rather than instance order)"

Even the fresnel one seems to work after changing camera 30 and 31 to 1 and 2, although it doesnt seem quite as smooth to me.

Boo!
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 11:28
Freddix,

Not sure if this is possible with shaders, or even if it's possible at all using the FX core of DBP, but can projection textures be achieved using shaders? If so, is there one available? I've seen a couple of articles on the subject, and they use a similiar pixel and vertex shader to shadow volumes, but there was also some DX work involved in setting up the scene with the correct projection matrix.

Anyway, was wondering.

Many thanks.

Paul.

Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 00:47
@APEXnow:
I don't know, but if you're looking for a soft shadows shader, take a look à Evolved website,
he've made one available :
http://www.vector3r.com/Shaders/SM20.htm

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2006 21:25
Thanks Freddix, will do

Paul.

Deagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2006 13:34
Can someone make some laser glow shader? (like in light saber)
In Jedi knight there is great light saber shader, something like that would be awesome.
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2006 13:20
you can do something similar using the actual bloom effet.
You must setup 2 worlds
1/ That contain all objects + saber(s)
2/ That contain only saber(s)
make the bloom effect be calculated on the world that only contain the saber(s) and apply it to the scene of the full world.

It may work.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 27th Dec 2006 20:00
Here's a simple light saber effect plus demo program. I know it could be improved but is that the sort of thing you are looking for?

You can change the length of the saber's light by pressing "d" or "s".

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Deagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2006 22:31
Well, it could be more brighter and glowier..
What's wrong with the toon shading?
I see just a black head in white background.
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2007 00:22
For the effect you want just use a png texture on a plain. Then maybe make a couple of duplicates and move them behind the main one to make a motion blur effect. Then you could try using bloom either normally or as suggested by Freddix. However, I'm sure Green Gandalf's shader can be edited slightly to make it brighter. If he doesn't try then I will. Nothing wrong with the toon shader here. Maybe your graphics card can't handle it.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2007 12:54
Quote: "Well, it could be more brighter and glowier.."

It certainly could.

Quote: "However, I'm sure Green Gandalf's shader can be edited slightly to make it brighter. If he doesn't try then I will."

Watch this space.

Happy New Year!
Deagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2007 17:37
Quote: "Maybe your graphics card can't handle it."

I have Gainward GF 6600 GT Golden Sample :S It should handle it.
Math89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2007 18:23
I don't think it's a shader, you can do that with a few ghosted plains.
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2007 22:15
@Math89 - Yes, as I said. I'm pretty sure that is what is done in the pic. Check out the particles in this menu I made. The same effect could be used for the lightsaber. http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n304/andrewneale2004/?action=view¤t=terrortown.flv

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
So where is the latest version?

The admiral
HTF
Years of Service
User Offline
Is anyone else getting an fps drop of about 140 fps when they load a shader? I tested loading the HDR shader WITHOUT updating it or doing anything with it and I got the same frame rate loss as I did when it was fully running, the same happens with bloom....

I don't understand if the shader is just loaded and not doing anything why does it still cause such a big hit. Also is there a way or making the bloom or hdr shaders a bit more efficient so they dont grind my game to a halt. On my test level I was averaging over 200fps when I turned the sync rate off, with a full screen shader applied (bloom or HDR) I get around 58fps which is a bit too slow for the game to run effectively.

To me a 140fps loss seems a bit much, I must be missing something.
To run the shader I just basically put the needed parts into my program from the example.

Cheers,

HTF
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2007 16:32
It isn't the shader causing that massive hit; it is the multiple cameras using the set camera to image command.

HTF
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah ok is there anyway to get the desired results without doing it that way then? Think I am only going to bother with the fullscreen shaders as they arn't that important and I will be more familiar with DBP by then and might be able to figure something out, you never know.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2007 18:06
If the set camera to image command is the problem (quite likely) then you could try updating the camera images every, say, third, fourth or fifth sync cycle rather than every cycle. If the images are only used for things like reflection and refraction (don't know without looking at the example more closely) the loss of finale screen image accuracy probably won't be noticeable.

Not sure off-hand which command you have to skip - you might have to use sync mask selectively each sync using a counter. Hopefully someone knows.
HTF
Years of Service
User Offline
Cheers for the advise I will test it out when I have done my exams. Theres always something that gets in the way of my coding lol.
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2007 19:19
Yep Green Gandalf's plan should work. Sync camera 0 every loop and the bloom cameras every few loops; maybe one each loop until they are all done then go back to the first one. Also, make sure the set camera to image size is small i.e. 128x128 if you are really struggling but probably about 256x256.

Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 00:06
You can also reduce the camera range because with a small image output, far details will not appear so it's useless to try to make it render what is too far ... it may not make final render bad but may improve perf :p

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
How would one use the bloom shader im not sure if its applied to a camera/world or to specific objects??

The admiral
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 10:42
@The Admiral: bloom effect if full screen effect, it is applied to a plain face to the camera if I remind correctly ...

I'm preparing a DarkSHADER compatible verison of Ultimate Shader PAck so, it may make the shaders be useable with the same principle thatn the one in DarkSHADER.

Gandalf said: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Odyssey-Creators - X-Quad Editor - 3DMapEditor
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2007 14:25
@ Freddix,

How is the DarkShader compatible version of the shader pack coming?

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2007 23:59 Edited at: 10th Mar 2007 00:01
Actual beta is here :
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=100436&b=8

(I've added this link on the first page of USP posts :p)

Gandalf said: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2007 20:12
I have the stragnest problem with the new water shader from the Water+Terrain example. I'm using the same computer that it ran perfectly with just half a year ago with the old shader pack and my game God of Time.

A screen shot is attatched. I hav enot changed any code at all. All I did is press F5 on the example, many times, even after turning everything off, restarting DBPro, and restarting my computer.

-Mansoor

Attachments

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2007 22:34
I got this proplem when trying to do Motion Blur using sprites and the Motion Blur image from camera only and got image from ram looks like same prop ( my Motion Blur doesnt work sprites then )

Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2007 00:55
I've fixed this issue changing the camera numbers...
The camera used are 30 and 31
Try to changes all these 30 and 31 number to 2 and 1.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2007 22:51
Awesome! Thanks Freddix, its worked!

-Mansoor
Manson_NS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2007 15:29
Any chance of an fx which displays edges on both models and the applied texture?
a simple subtraction of 3 pixels would do it I suppose - the nvidia one does not seem to work for me, anyone else having trouble with it?
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2007 11:23 Edited at: 8th Apr 2007 12:04
Hey, I'm not sure how active this thread is, but I have 3 questions about shaders in this pack.

[solved problem 1]

[solved problem 2]

Third thing: I'm trying to use the refraction shader to create kind of a fisheye effect object. What I'm trying to do is create a plane textured with a circular gradient so that when the player looks at the plane dead on the world appears to warp into the middle, like a fisheye lens. The main problem I'm having is that I can't get the edges of the object to be seamless with the world. That is, you can see an edge between the plain and the world. See this image:
http://delvarworld.com/stuff/seam.jpg
The ATTACHED image shows the image I'm using as the texture. I thought that the blue around the edges (#807fff) was no bump on a normal map, but it still creates that seam. How can I avoid that?

Much thanks to any information.

Attachments

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2007 00:54
Quote: "I thought that the blue around the edges (#807fff) was no bump on a normal map, but it still creates that seam. How can I avoid that?"

I suspect the problem is not the normal map but the texture you are applying it to - I guess you should only be using that part of the background which is directly behind the plain. You might be able to achieve what you want by using camera commands such as set camera to image - and apply that image to the plain before rendering the screen.

Is there a good reason why the plain shouldn't fill the whole screen?
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2007 22:05
does someone know where evolved has gone? i can't acess his site with the shaders anymore... or if he is gone, does someone know where i can get his newer shaders (soft shadow...)?

EVOLVED
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2007 19:00 Edited at: 7th Jul 2007 18:45
Just been busy

I got rid of my site, but Iv uploaded all my shaders again links below..

[EDIT]

Get them from me sit here > http://groundzerodevelopment.co.uk/Module2.html
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2007 21:33
hi

Happy to see you back

I posted sometimes a message in the "geek culture" at the "looking for EVOLVED" ..

Welcome back EVOLVED.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2007 00:17
Quote: "Happy to see you back "

Indeed! Welcome back EVOLVED!

Excellent screenshots as usual.
EVOLVED
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2007 09:18 Edited at: 18th Apr 2007 09:18
Im always browsing the forum just never post much , thx nun the less lol
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2007 07:37 Edited at: 20th Apr 2007 09:20
Evolved you are my favorite. I'm still using that old noise based sky shader you posted a long time ago.

And hey, hey buddy. Hey there. I have a question. I have a lightmap shader used to blend a lightmap on the second uv stage to the first stage of an object. But I also want to use your beautiful flashlight shader on the same level. Is there any chance that you could take your
http://delvarworld.com/stuff/FlashLight.fx
and GG's
http://delvarworld.com/stuff/lightmap.fx
and combine them? The lightmap shader is currently set up for a second ghosted object, so it you'd have to change the flashlight to stage 2 as well. I'm so busy with other stuff I barely have time to work on my game, let alone learn an entirely new programming language for shaders.
Edit: Actually not this flashlight shader, the one you posted.

Edit2: I'm fooling around with it myself, so don't start work on it quite yet

Is that too much work to do for a request?

...you are my hero you know. I wrote a paper about you in middle school.*cough*

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2007 16:24
Hey EVOLVED,

I'm having some issues with 2 of your shaders, the first is the ps1.1 bloom shader you made a while back, I'm using this due to it using 1.1 and so pretty much all PCs can run it. Using the latest patch it just doesn't work.

Also your cartoon shader doesn't work on my nVidia card there was a similar issue with your flashlight shader(all objects rendering black) and you managed to post a fix on your forums but they are down. Any chance you could make it compatible with nVidia cards? Also there is one small issue with the cartoon shader, the shader itself moves polys out wards to simulate the thickness of the edges, however the polys don't increase in size so you get lots of gaps, this is very noticeable when you set a high thickness.

Also good work on the shaders!, I'd be lost without them. I just realized I forgot to credit you on the games I used them in, eep!

Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2007 18:56
Try to changes all cameras highr than 7 to numbers lower than 8.
I've noticed that many shaders that used multiple camera did have troubles with DarkBASIC Professional upgrade 6.3+

03apples
Years of Service
User Offline
i need hlep with most of the shaders(new version). In dbp it says the two variables sw or something and setting noraml dont work, same with some other varaibles. Am i missing some file or something?

thanks
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 09:54 Edited at: 20th Apr 2007 14:08
Ok here's my progress on combining the two shaders I'm looking for, and I'd like a little guidance.

I'm trying to combine GG's lightmap blend shader:
http://delvarworld.com/stuff/lightmap.fx

with Evolved's new flashlight shader
http://delvarworld.com/stuff/FlashLight.fx

I'm merging the LIGHTMAP into the FLASHLIGHT shader.

The first thing I did is copy these lines to the top of flashlight.fx:

Cause those are needed for blending. It compiled and ran.

Then I tried putting these variables into the flashlight:

at the top, but it crashed. I realized that the two programs were fighting for variables or something, since the Flashlight already had

BUT the lightmap uses those variables, diffuseSamp and lightMapSamp. So NOW in the lightmap shader I repalce all instances of diffuseSamp with Base, and replace lightMapSamp with Lightmap so that these programs are using the same variables.

THEN I pasted this technique from lightmap into flashlight, since it seemed pretty standalone:

And it crashed the exe. I realized that it was because the FLASHLIGHT shader did NOT have the methods VShader and PShader.

BUT NOW I'M CONFUSED. The FLASHLIGHT has methods like these:

And it SEEMS LIKE these methods are supposed to do similar as VShader and PShader from the lightmap. I tried just copying the methods from the lightmap verbatim (VShader and PShader) but it crashed. Ok...why is that? Ah! It's missing some of the structs from the lightmap! So I copied the structs:

into the lightmap. Still no compile. You can view my garbled mess of the combinaion here:
[href=http://delvarworld.com/stuff/lighting.fx ]http://delvarworld.com/stuff/lighting.fx [/href]
This is designed to replaec FlashLight.X in Evolved's demo posted up there.

The code copied from the lightmap is commented with start and end comments. Am I overwriting variables like col and pos? For example the lightmap uses a simple float4 named col, but the flashlight shader uses variablse like Out.col. Are they the same thing.

Am I on the right track? Why isn't it comipling?! Help!!

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2007 13:41
I'm fairly sure EVOLVED posted a shader which did this - and I had a go too, but can't find it on my system at the moment. With luck I've got a backup somewhere - I'll check later today. Otherwise I'll have to delve into your code - or start afresh ...
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 00:46
@QuothTheRaven

I think this is EVOLVED's flashlight shader with lightmapping prepared for Terrorist Zero during the nVidia Comp.

You'll need to study the code to see which texture stages are used, etc:

The only change I've made (if I recall correctly) is that "Name" has been replaced by "ResourceName" in the texture declarations (this is so that FX Composer will compile the code).

Any problems or missing media let me know.
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2007 01:27
GG, I think that shader is made for an object that ALREADY has the ligthmap textured on a second stage and is blended, like in a dbo file. It won't actually blend stage 1 UV into stage 0 UV, it's made for a dbo file that already has the proper blending set up.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 11:52:54
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 11:52:54