Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [STICKY] Ultimate Shader Pack

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2006 12:36 Edited at: 27th May 2006 12:40
Beta 3 is here :
[href]http://cordierfr.free.fr/UltimateShadersPackBeta3[270606].zip[/href]

@Evolved : I've updated your shaders to make them be in the original(s) drawer(s) like you did and added OffsetMapping. I have a question for you. I think you know the solution (cos you've made HDR shaders). How can I do to apply a "scene" shader in DarkBASIC Professional ? (using a plain ?)

@Fallout : try beta3 now

@QuothTheRaven : Take a look at the UFO Glass effect ... it maybe can fit your needs ?

@Preston C : I've added your fur in

Additional notes:
I've added the authour(s) names in the shader drawer names and a small ReadME.txt file containing all author coordinates (e-mail/web) to allow user to contact them about user licences.
I've added the "Work in progress" drawer where all shaders I try to make work in DarkBASIC Professional are... they're not yet 100% working and, if someone know these shaders and also know how to make them work in DarkBASIC Professional, feel free to make changes and send me modified versions (or give a link here)

Look at the first post to see the updated list of available shaders in the pack.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2006 18:15
One of the best posts I've seen in a long time. Stickied. I'll be sure to download this latest pack and try it out with my shader developer tool.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly Yellow)
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2006 00:54

Beta4 will contain 2 evolved's new shaders from www.vector3r.com
Toon and Fur shaders.
Evolved, your shaders are once again ... GREATS !!! WOW !

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2006 02:22
Funky stuff.

I have a Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti4600 which was top of the range just a few years ago but find it's severly lacking in doing most of the shaders.

How can you tell what shaders should work on what cards? I know it's something to do with shader versions.

Running this code;

gives me

pixedl shader version = 1.3
vertex shader version = 1.1

is that bad?

Also, is there any of the shaders in the pack that will work on the majority of cards, or can you (if possible) make a little spreadsheet, or put a comment in each source code, to specify what versions are needed to run it. It will look stupid if someone writes a game with a fancy effect that looks nice on their pc but looks stupid on everyone elses. I know this sounds quite a large request, but without it, surely adding any effect in a game is utterly pointless.

Boo!
Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2006 07:39
It isnt bad, just not good. latest of pixel shader is 2.0. I would recommend getting a $50 geforce 5200fx. Good card.

Wii rules.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2006 07:50
actually the latest ps is 3.0 however im not sure if ati cards have this? and i really dont know what the difference really is as ive ran the mad mod mike demos and though they do look good im not sure whats really different,

@evolved, i really like your examples of all the shaders with lighting and stuff, but how can you low the ammount of lights/passes so i can speed the rendering up when i dont need some lights? cause all of your examples had 4 lights and in my current game 4 is really not needed on screen at all times and 1 is enough for most of the time.

Hallowed are the ori.
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2006 11:11
I got a Radeon 9700 Pro. Running Spooky's code I get

-The Nerd

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2006 18:43
awesome freddix.
i can't wait to have a look at the latest beta
i currently have beta 1

running that code, i get PS = 3, VS = 3.
i have a 6600GT. (switched back to my old card, since the x800 didn't run properly with this PSU)

my forum - where everyone is an admin
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2006 19:37 Edited at: 30th May 2006 19:40
Looks like it's time for me to dump the card then. Can't believe I spent £339 on it in April 2002. At least it's still going 4 years later and still runs all but the very latest games at more than adequate speeds. Call of Duty 2 even plays really well with it.

As my mobo is only AGP, I suppose it would make sense to replace that aswell with one that has a PCI-E slot on it as the latest AGP cards are stretched to the limit and cost a lot more than the PCI-E versions. While I'm at it I suppose the Athlon XP 2000+ is a bit old now and needs replacing.

Looks like I need to blow the cobwebs out of my wallet and go for a complete new system.

Looks like PS 3 and VS 3 should be futureproof enough for a few years. I might go for a 7900 GTX system with some sort of AMD dual core thingy.

Boo!
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2006 12:18 Edited at: 31st May 2006 13:19
here is the beta4 :
[url]http://cordierfr.free.fr/UltimateShadersPackBeta4[310606].zip[/url]

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2006 12:28
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2006 12:48
any chance of a changelist? i noticed the fur shader and some wip ones but without compiling code i cant be bothered to test :/, also why is the 'heat' demo there? cause it doesnt use any shaders.

Hallowed are the ori.
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2006 13:17
Yay! Downloading! Great work Freddix. The first pack has already been incredibly useful.

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2006 13:21 Edited at: 31st May 2006 13:22
@Dark Coder : the heat demo does not use shaders but use internal DBPro Sphere Mapping that's why I put it in the pack. Each shader that are in the 3 first drawer contain source code to show how to use them. Only the ones in WIP does not have complete or partial source code.

DARKGuy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 00:54 Edited at: 1st Jun 2006 01:15
Downloading...

While I was at it, I used the chance to download some demos & source from your site... I'm very dissapointed that no demo works... they run, but no shady pretty effect and it's weird, they -should- be working... I have everything to the latest version - including the nVIDIA drivers (the latest ones but not the BETA ones) so they should work, as Quake 4 runs with them, Doom 3 (demo) does too, Tomb Raider Legend (demo) works too, even Irrlicht engine does shaders (in OpenGL too) so I have no idea why those aren't working...

I'm gonna wait 'til the full pack downloads, then I shall test ^_^, and edit this post .

Edit:

Wow, I'm impressed here

No lights:
Metal: Works
Hologam: Works (I like this one )
Refraction: No
Phong: I have VS 1... needs PS2 & VS2
Offset: No
Water: No (weird, other games can do that... any way to do the same effect with an older shader, maybe?)
Heat: Woot!! code from Rich! *is amazed* xD... uh, is the girl suppossed to be all metallic and shiney? oO
Thermal: Purple screen oO?
Grass: Doesn't do nothing fancy oO
Cubic mapping: beautiful ^_^ Me likes
UFO: Just shows some textured diamond thingy oO

Lighting:
Gloss: Works
Bump+Gloss: No
Bump: No
Fur: Weeeeeeeeeeeird @_@!! but cool xD
Snow: Well... it's shiney!
Parallax... I need more VS version
Normal & Specular: NICE!
Cartoon: YAY!
Pixel Lighting: No
Normal Mapping: No
Relief mapping: No
Wood colouring: No
Toon shader: No!
Vertex fur: ...reminds me of a spider!

Environment:
HDRMapping.dba doesn't work, but Hyper Dynamic Range Rendering.dba works! (of course it should World of Warcraft uses that )
Bloom: Seems to work, everything looks shiney and glowy, just like in WoW

I'm a bit afraid of testing the Under Development shaders in case something might screw up and damage my card (that's possible, right? as I heard they reach directly into the card's memory/rendering system or something like that...) so I'm a little paranoid but I'm happy with the results... at least the most stuff I'd like to use in DBPro using shaders is here, working, nicely...

You rock !! Thanks a bunch! ^_^ surely I'll keep an eye on the progress of this beauty

"As sudden as I arrive, as sudden as I leave."

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 01:39 Edited at: 1st Jun 2006 01:40
Quote: "Toon shader: No!"

Indeed, I can't get Evolved's Toon Shader to work either. All I get is a black head, no toon shading at all. The rest of Evolved's shaders work, and beautifully too, great job Evolved.

I especially like your Parallax Mapping Shader. It was really easy to get working in C# too. It's addicting.

AMD64 X2 3800+ | 1 GB Ram | NVIDIA GeForce 6800 128MB
MSVC++ .Net 2003 | BlueJ | Wings3D | CharacterFX | Gimp v2.0
Formerly NWC_Omega

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 19:55
I have tried all shaders. All of them work on my Radeon 9600 Pro AGP ...

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 22:23
Probably just an NVIDIA issue then :\

AMD64 X2 3800+ | 1 GB Ram | NVIDIA GeForce 6800 128MB
MSVC++ .Net 2003 | BlueJ | Wings3D | CharacterFX | Gimp v2.0
Formerly NWC_Omega
Joe Cooning
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 03:47
Fun stuff! Let's hope these turn up in games. Finally add a more professional appearance.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 04:53
Quote: "Probably just an NVIDIA issue then :\"

yeah i just tried it and i get a black model with no lighting on my 7800gtx`s, however all the demos work fine and i really like the fur shader though i wont find it usefull , and the refraction one is very nice and most of them , i hope everyone makes loads of shaders .

Hallowed are the ori.
Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 14:09
The relief mapping shader hasn't been set to relief mapping, it's actually normal mapping. The shader has four tecniques, in order: normal mapping, parallax mapping, relief mapping and relief mapping with shadows. Also you can't just use a simple normal map, you'll need to use a depth map.

For more information on relief mapping and depth maps check out this site:

http://www.inf.ufrgs.br/~oliveira/RTM.html

Anyway the pack is brillant, what a good idea. Hope you keep it up.
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 20:10
@Sasuke : I'll check this to change the mode if I found how to ~ ...

adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2006 13:36
Freddix > Thank you to you for taking the time to get all the working shaders in one place. Excellent resource.

To Evolved, Ninja Matt, Preston, and all the other contributers - thanks for your time and hard work.

[center]
But you see, I have the will of the warrior. Therefore, the battle is already over. The winner? Me!
Medieval Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2006 17:36 Edited at: 4th Jun 2006 17:58
Quote: "Have you found a fur shader yet?
It doesn´t matter really, just curious..."

Morgan McGuire and Max McGuire at Iron Lore Entertainment used steep parallax mapping for their fur....
Here is the webpage its on:
http://graphics.cs.brown.edu/games/SteepParallax/index.html

Here is the picture of it in use!(Yes the picture to the right is one poly..:
http://graphics.cs.brown.edu/games/SteepParallax/fur.jpg

Edit: If you check around on that website they even tell you how they did it. However im not sure if DBP can run their shader...
They have to textures on the website but here they are here......they didnt save that well as .gif because they were orignally .tga

Edit2: It is not made for the FX shader but there must be a way to bring this to darkbasic. However my knowledge on shaders is limited but I will look into creating a shader to do the same.
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2006 18:22
The new fur shader (#25) in the updated shader pack looks just like that. Give it a go.

Boo!
Medieval Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, it is just like that, but it doesnt seem as clean cut but that must be the texture. Im going to try to make a new texture for the grass one because something doesnt seem right about it. I will post my results if im able to get it to look better. The shaders are just amazing and I have thought of many ideas from them!!!
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2006 22:28
I tried a different model with fur#25 and all I got was a glowing mess. What 'rules' do I need to follow for model creation? Also, I'd be interested to know can the effect be limited to just certain parts (say based on materials) or do I need separate limbs and head objects for something like a bugbear with a steel breast plate.)
--
TAZ

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1
Medieval Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2006 22:56 Edited at: 4th Jun 2006 22:58
I also got that but I was attempting to put a grass texture on it...Then i was going to attempt to make it look as if it was swaying....

Not to bad if you want an ugly lava effect...

Surprisingly all effects worked fine on my computer..
Medieval Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok after a little test it turns out that you must edit your texture also in the FX shader... AND you have to change it in DBP

Here is the result:
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2006 23:28
OK, I found a partial fix. If I go into the fur effects file and really crank down on the fur height it gets better results for me. I changed float FurHeight = 0.3f; to float FurHeight = 0.01f; But, the shader still operates on the untextured parts such that smooth claws and teeth are still bright orange. Any thoughts on how I could fix that?
--
TAZ

Medieval Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
I was able to get a clearer image using a different height map...
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 00:08
Hmm, some kind of clever color map or something might have to be used in order to get this working. For example, a second UV map where the parts colored white would get the shader applied to it, while the other colors would remain the same. It's a bit beyond my level of programming unfortuantly though.

(Formerly Yellow)
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 00:24
Zircher, add this to your main loop so you can play around with the FurHeight.

I'm experimenting with your texture problem, but haven't found any solutions yet unfortuantly.

(Formerly Yellow)
Medieval Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 00:51 Edited at: 5th Jun 2006 00:53
You can change the color but my knowlegde of programming in FX is very limited....

As you can see here:
Im not sure what type of color code it is...i believe for OpenGl...
That is getting close, but I think it needs to be replaced by somthing like ~
but im not to good with FX yet....

Attachments

Login to view attachments
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 03:19
Thanks, MikeS. That will make it much easier to tweak. And, it opens up the idea of editting the other variables dynamically, too.
--
TAZ

X Trade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 17:16
I can't download it.. well i can, but i can't extract it. keeps on saying its not a valid zip archive.

winzip says:

"End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not a Zip file, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part Zip file."

www.AoFP.co.uk
Medieval Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I have winrar and I have no troubles....must be your unzipping program...
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 23:59
@All : don't forget, if you manage to make modified version of the shaders, send me the file (at freddbprojects@wanadoo.fr) and I'll include them in the next beta Same if you create new shaders

bosskeith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2006 05:50 Edited at: 6th Jun 2006 05:59
First time i visited this thread ...was fearful of using these shaders....and all i can say is...
WOW! that is amazing stuff...if you change the diamond to a sphere in the ufo "glass" and squish it using scale it makes a cool magnifying glass.

yeah i tried the color thing and it is done in % with 1.0f=100%...then it is r,g,b,s...where s is the saturation of the colors... 0.1f will be dark while 1.0f will be bright...i could be wrong but looks like how it works

Ink all over the screen...and dang it! Signature still does not show.
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2006 11:33
It is dead easy to change the colours but it changes the entire object. I think what he is after is control over which parts of object gets the shader applied and which dont.

To change the colours in code, just alter the colour effect variable;

Also need a little function to turn 0-255 values into 0-1 values;

Pretty cool that you can easily override any of the .fx variables from within DBPro.

Even cooler that the fur shader works on my antiquated graphics card.

Boo!
X Trade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2006 11:37
i've downloaded it three times. both WinZip and WinRar complain that it is either damaged or not a valid zip file (this being the file marked as Beta4 on the first post)

www.AoFP.co.uk
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2006 12:56
Strange. I have just redownloaded it (using IE6), and winzip and winrar uncompress it just fine.

Boo!
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2006 19:22
@X-Trade : I will upload it (as mirror) on another server today later.

X Trade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2006 12:35 Edited at: 7th Jun 2006 12:38
i downloaded it again last night and it works fine!
so i don't know what it was. so thanks but its not a problem now

bloom shader is really fun.

hmm, im not sure about this, but would it be possible to limit the effect to certain objects if there was a buffer saying which pixles predominantly belong to which objects?

also, a similar effect would be possible on individual objects using the fur-shader technique, except with a more transparent surface to the effect and a more solid texture.

i don't program shaders, im just smart i made a similar effect in DBP nativly using the clone object, scale object, and ghost object commands

www.AoFP.co.uk
Math89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2006 16:29 Edited at: 7th Jun 2006 16:30
Quote: "hmm, im not sure about this, but would it be possible to limit the effect to certain objects if there was a buffer saying which pixles predominantly belong to which objects?"

In u6, you can limit the effect of bloom shader with a little trick : hide all objects that mustn't be shaded, use Sync Mask and Sync to render only the image from camera 1 , show all objects, and another time, Sync Mask and Sync, but for camera 0.
See the refraction program (01 - Objects - No Lights
X Trade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2006 17:17
that is interesting..
i think DBP would benifit from having exclude/include lists for cameras, much like the lists in the recent versions of NGC..
anyway I will have to try that with my thruster effects! allthough i like the look of the game currently with everything effected by the shader.. but for some reason it does make my HUD dissapear

these shaders are quite fun

www.AoFP.co.uk
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2006 19:07
@X-Trade : does your hud is made using Sprites ?
If yes, try to "Set Sprite Priority" for your HUD sprite to put them in front...

X Trade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2006 19:30 Edited at: 7th Jun 2006 19:38
nope, I still get the problem!! am using sprites, and the 'text' command
i think sprite priority is only for priority with other sprites anyway.. and as far as i remember the 2d/3d priority commands don't work with sprites, only with 3d commands. or something like that. hmm ill try that in a minute.

picture:

edit: i gues i should have been going in the same direction to show off the effect nevermind

edit2:
interestingly enough, text through the print function DOES work, just not 'text' or sprites

www.AoFP.co.uk
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2006 22:49
Freddix, thank you for this amazing contribution to the forums. I think a shader pack is the key that we all needed to move our games up to the next level to match commercial quality.

Uncle Sam
Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS 256MB PCIEx, 2.66 GHZ Pentium 4 proccessor, 768MB RAM
Need particles? Click here!
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2006 23:07
This is great, now that I got DBP to install with out errors now, I have been testing these sets of shaders, congrats to all those who worked on them and congrats to putting them together in a help zip and source codes I think I'll find these quite useful

夢の海に目覚めること - Into the sea of waking dreams - I am by John Clare

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 13:51:58
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 13:51:58