Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / [Dark Physics License] $60US for non-commercial / $50,000 US for commercial!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 09:55
I don't have time to read the entire thread but just to get things straight,
If I made a game that had the option to use the Physx hardware Ageia would give me a commercial license for free?

But if I didn't have the option I would have to take a loan of 50K?
Thanks!

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 12:08
If the game supports the hardware, you get a free license. Too simple.

Come see the WIP!
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 12:41 Edited at: 29th Aug 2006 12:43
@keithml: You can, I directly contacted Ageïa about X-Quad Editor and they did give me a meeting for a contract Meeting was ok, I received the contract few days ago. All is ok

@Freid:
Quote: "I know it has the commands to manage the hardware, but it means buy the card (not a big problem), ADD extra gfx and particules, spend more time to tweak..."

wrong. The only thing is that your game must have the option to run only if a PPU card is detected!!! No need to add special features especially for Card owner.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 12:48 Edited at: 29th Aug 2006 12:48
Quote: "wrong. The only thing is that your game must have the option to run only if a PPU card is detected!!! No need to add special features especially for Card owner."

What do you mean, I know cellfactor is supposed to only run in hardware mode but you can run it in software mode by passing in some command line arguments disabling some of the features i.e. fluids, is that what you mean?

I know the voices aren't real, but they have good ideas!
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 13:02
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 13:03
There are no need to include special commands that run only on PPU Cards but you must include the option to run it only on PPU cards.

Wolf Dreamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 14:02
Quote: "
Cash Curtis II
If the game supports the hardware, you get a free license. Too simple.
"

If that was true, why not just say that on their website? Why do you have to go through the process of asking them?

Is it free for now, but later on they may decide to charge you for it?

If someone spends a considerable amount of time making a game, what guarentee do they have, that it will still be free months from now?

I don't see as how anything has changed since I last checked the forums.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=85575&b=1&p=3
Check out my final post at the end before that topic got closed for a full summary, written in an amusing dialogue between a penguin and the grim reaper . They updated their website, finally, but it is still rather vague.

There is no guarentee that months from now, when you finish making your game, they will still be handing out free licenses for commercial games.

The only reason most of us buy DarkBASIC Pro and its many addons such as DarkPhysics, is because we dream of making a commercial game one day. The end goal must forever be within sight.

The last sane human being in a world gone mad.
If you were a cockroach, what type of cockroach would you be?
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 14:07
Dreamer

Instead of complaining about how vague the license explanation is here, how about you contact AGEIA and ask them directly, that is not an insult so don't take it as one, go ask the people who know for certain what the score is, personally I think its pretty clear.

Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 14:23
Bloody hell, You can't just change a license on a whim, if that were possible everyone using any kind of software would be SCREWED. Imagine if you spend £3000 to use a royalty free modelling program then suddenly they change it so they charge a fee of £800 per model sold. It's just stupid.

They CAN if they really want to change the license make a new version and distribute that with the new license, but even if they do that which is unlikely all previous versions WILL have the same free waiver license because the users agreed to that license.

Just stop trying to confuse everyone about the license!
Wolf Dreamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 14:44 Edited at: 29th Aug 2006 14:46
They don't have to change the license on a whim. The license clearly states, right now, that you are not guarenteed the right to release a commercial game without paying them anything. You have to email them, and then will consider your request. They thus maintain the option to reject anything at all, at any time, for any reason.

But yeah, I'll email me them right now to verify this.

The last sane human being in a world gone mad.
If you were a cockroach, what type of cockroach would you be?
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 14:49
DREAMER

STOP moaning, you are getting rather annoying, if you don't trust AGEIA then don't use DP use newton instead, but please stop going on and on and on you seem to be going round in circles.

Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 15:04
@Wolf:
1/why? you must check with them how you will integrate hardware support.
2/You'll receive a contract from Ageïa. I can confirm you this is TRUE cos I've received my contract with Ageïa about DarkPHYSICS integration in X-Quad Editor.
3/same as 2.
4/Normal. They can't give a final statement because all will depend on the kind of product you'll develop, it will also depend on your resource, etc... They work in "case per case".
5/your guarentee: THE CONTRACT!!!
6/The goal remain within sight!!!
GUYS AGEÏA IS A COMPANY !!! THEY WORK LIKE ALL OTHER COMPANIES !!! THEY MAKE CONTRACT AND THEY RESPECT THESE CONTRACTS!!!

for all that doesn't know how it will work. Here is how I did things for X-Quad Editor.
1/ I sended a first e-mail to Ageïa asking them I wanted explanation about license fee and, I said that my project is specific and I wanted a particular help about it.(I also gave some informations about the project)
2/ They answered me they wanted us to make a meeting.
3/ I accepted.
4/ I did get a meeting on MSN with a woman from AGEÏA
5/ We discussed approximatively during 1 hour about the project and PhysX
6/ We've founded an agreement about the PhysX Integration via DarkPHYSICS into X-Quad Editor.
7/ Two week later, I've received the contract.

ALL IS ENOUGH CLEAR ?

ESP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 15:34
Hi Freddix,

A meeting on MSN? How does that work? (Never seen MSN)

Robin
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 15:50
MSN = Microsoft Messenger
On the day/hour choosen, she added me on her MSN and then we talked about DarkPHYSICS.
I can't state on a basis on "how to do a good meeting with Ageïa" cos all will depend on your needs, your product and your objectives.
All you have is to define enough clearly your project.

keithml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 15:56
Thanks for the description of your meeting Freddix. Hopefully I am not prying too much, but did they seem to have any particular concerns as far as the scale of resources you were allocating to the product? As in marketing/advertising money or distribution method?

Keith
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 16:04 Edited at: 29th Aug 2006 16:04
in fact, the main interest for them (if you want to have fee waiver) is that your game must support the hardware.
It's a bit like old games that allow to use Software/Hardware D3D on rendering. You must allow the capability for the user to choose between Software/Hardware in the game setup (or options in game menus , somewhere :p)
I did only explained them that I want to create my own company and I have few resources so I can't handle the 50.000$ fee.

keithml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 16:35
Thanks Freddix! Unlike you, I am not near finishing, but just beginning to sort out what my product will consist of. I'm shopping around and assembling the tools I need to finish it and making sure that no extra hurdles will prevent me from completing it. While it does appear that licensing is no trivial matter, since assigning a qualified employee to discuss terms for an hour is not something a company can do for every hack who walks in the door, your experience sounds promising.

Keith
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 22:25
Hopefully somebody from these forums actually purchase their physics processor so we can actually test that our products work with them

"I understand creative people. After all, I worked with towel designers." - Ray Kassar, former head of Atari

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 09:21:58
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 09:21:58