Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Errors in the tutorials

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Anyone else notice that the tutorials have quite a few errors. Im just into the first adv. machinery one and I've noticed a couple little things that were messing it up such as capital letters and incorrect object numbers. Anywhere I can report this to get it fixed?
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2006 03:11
Quote: "Anywhere I can report this to get it fixed?"

Here?

Strange that caps should matter, DBPro isn't case sensitive.

Bite my shiny metal ass
Black Mesa
Years of Service
User Offline
Maybe its just me then, my DBP seems to be acting strange. I've been copying the code right out of the tutorial and it seems to cause strange error messages and problems.

Such as

Seems to be right according to the tutorial but I get an error message about needing brackets for the function? And a another time when I put the camera code in the spot they said it should go I couldnt see anything but when I moved it below some other code it cleared up. Am I missing something here?
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2006 04:27 Edited at: 9th Aug 2006 04:30
I don't think you use a valid way of using Functions. Like:

Should be:

You're allowed to use whitespaces between the function name and the parameters.

Also, in one of the parameter lists, you're using a reserved keyword. The "end" parameter. This isn't allowed either.

If I fix those things, I can compile the code. Of course I can't load the images. But the code compiles:

Black Mesa
Years of Service
User Offline
Now im getting "object already exsists at line 72

Code:

This is really bothering me especially because the END in function error was part of the tutorial.
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2006 05:22 Edited at: 9th Aug 2006 05:23
That one was rather easy to fix. This code works and I can compile it:

Before the first CreateCubeStack was called, a object with the number 20 already existed... Therefore the error.

So I changed this bit:

To this:

When I compile it I can clearly see that it runs... But the camera isn't positioned right I think.

Please note that I have removed the textures from the above code.

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2006 06:20
don't forget if you look in the folder where the tuts are you will find the some code example all ready done with other bits added.

I'm not getting you down am I, Ho Look! another fancy Door?
Black Mesa
Years of Service
User Offline
Nerd that works, but its weird because I noticed that and tried it before and it didnt work. Another thing I noticed is that when I put the camera commands right before the Do loop you can see everything but not when it is put where they originally are. Another weird thing is that the first time I try to compile with '-30' for the camera value I get an error but if I change it to '30' compile and then change it to '-30' and recompile, then it works. WTF is up with this?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 20:19:15
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 20:19:15