Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dual Monitor Support...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello all,

I was just wondering if anyone knew how to set up a way in the SDK to allow for running one of our programs when someone has dual monitors set up on their system. Now i know that it may not be possible to set the screen resolution to extend across both monitors, but even if we can't do that, it would be helpful if someone could help me in shutting off the other monitor at runtime so that i don't get any sort of errors.

As it stands, I tried running my game which was set up to run at 1280,1024,32 on my new dual monitor support. My desktop is extended across both monitors. I know that this game runs ok on single monitor support because i've already debugged it, but now that I try to run it on my dual monitor in windows xp i get the following error right after the dbSync(); command in my main loop:

Unhandled exception at 0x00577da3 in Art of the Saber.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x00000000.

By the way, i'm using Visual Studio 2002.NET

Any commenting or help at all regarding this matter will be greatly appreciated. I didn't see any talk at all about dual monitor support on either this form, or any of the dbpro forums at all. Like I said, even if you can just help me to shut the other monitor off while the game is running, and simply put the game on one screen, it will be very helpful. Just trying to get it running again. Thanks!

The scarecrow has no mind, but serves its function well.
EddieB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 20:44
I dont think the SDK supports dual monitors... It needs to be done on the directx side of things...

I didn't read all of your post, so sorry if that isnt the correct answer.
Acolyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh, not at all...thanks for your input.

I figured as much about no support yet for dual monitors in the sdk...is there a way to use the sdk to bypass one of the monitors to just display on the other?

Acolyte
Years of Service
User Offline
I've looked at some other posts, and some of the DBPro crowd has got their games running dual monitor support with minimal difficulties. Perhaps i'm missing the latest driver for my graphics card? I posted that I would be willing to start development on a DLL in the DLL forum that allows for dual monitor support within the GDK, so any ideas on what it could be? If not should I try to code a DLL that will allow us to use dual monitors in our games?

Wilvis
Years of Service
User Offline
when I had two monitors hooked up I set my driver to span accross both display then I could run the game at 1600x800 and it would span accross both the displays.
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 07:45
for refrence, just tried a binary compiled with the SDK beta (havnt ported that code to the new patched version yet) of IRO and it ran fine, both full screen and windowed, on my dual monitor system. I see no reason why dual monitors should break the SDK anyway as the OS and video card drivers look after it on a basic level, not your code.

Acolyte
Years of Service
User Offline
sweet, i got it working. Thanks for all your help guys. I got this program to manage the flow of my dual monitor screens. It turns out that the GDK wouldn't support my dual system when it was just stretched across both monitors, so I set up an actual 'dual configuration' and now they work fine. Thanks again guys.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-17 04:48:35
Your offset time is: 2024-06-17 04:48:35