Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] FPS Creator 1.04 RC2

Author
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2006 15:52 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2006 15:55
Hi Guys,

Find the new V104 RC2 version available from the following link:

http://www.fpscreator.com/betafiles/FPSC_104_RC2.zip

The changes made are as follows:

* Fixed bug causing allbut first weapon to disappear from hands of characters
* Changed version number to V104 on the initial splash screen
* Created a fall-back to older functionality where a sound cannot load using NO_VIRT mode
* Corrected player speed limit so there is no lower limit, upper limit must remain for stability reasons

There is also an additional file you can download to overwrite the map editor executable:

http://www.fpscreator.com/betafiles/FPSC-MapEditor-V100.zip

For those users who are getting an error 0,0 straight away after installing model pack 5 / V104. Post here if the new FPSC-MapEditor.exe executable solves the problem, as this might form part of RC3 next week.

"Small, smart, and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom programmers aren't extinct after all "
Captain Kirk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2006 16:13
Thanks Lee for this new patch.

What is the correct installation order for model packs and updates?

I ask this because I downloaded 1.02 patch, 1.04 RC1, 1.04 RC2 and I have Model pack 3 v2.

And when I installed updates and model pack 3 v2, and started FPsCreator I got a WIndows error dialog that FPSC has an error and will close then FPSC stopped responding.
drew4663
Years of Service
User Offline
I got the same error and this is getting a little ridiculous. I am sure I am going to be flamed for this but it happens to be my opinion. Although I am glad Lee is making a lot of updates to fpsc I am a little disturbed by the flakiness. You can sit there and gripe and moan about how hard the programming is and defend all the short comings fpsc has until the cows come home...BUT!
This is a professional company that is making money off of a product in which they sell. I don't mind and I understand bugs but not being able to use the program at all is a rip-off.(oooh I bet everyone's mad from that statement) That's like going to a drive-thru window and ordering a cheeseburger and you pay your money and then all you get is the papper with some melted cheese on it.
As of right now, I have paid for fpsc and every model pack they could throw out at me and the actual program itself is not working. I could try and troubleshoot these issues but I shouldn't have to. The app should work updates, packs and all. Talk to us LEE! Pull out your pocket and let us hold onto it like little kids so that we know where you are going! Give us an exact order for installation for what we need to do to get the program you sold us working. From V1, all model packs and all updates what we need and in what order to have the most up-to-date fpsc! PLEASE!
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 22nd Nov 2006 18:08
@drew4663

I would like to say that I understand your frustration, but in reality I have had no problems installing the updates and model packs. I can say with some certainty that this is the case with the overwhelming majority of users, because as we know, only those who have problems complain.

Every program has growing pains and a small portion of users see issues due to unforeseen conditions. No one can take into account all the possible combinations of hardware, software, and anything else that may be on any given system. Even Microsoft, with it's hundreds of coders and thousands of testers cannot foresee all possibilities.

While I realize this is no help to you, I hope it may explain it a little. In my long computer and software experience, I would be hard pressed to find a company that listens and responds better than TGC is doing right now. I wish you the best and hope your issues will be clearer up soon.

Best.

The forum provides a means to hide our true identity. Too bad we always screw up and let it be seen.

JimB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2006 18:37
After installing FSPC 104 RC2 AND FPSC-Mapeditor-V100 all appears to be working ok.
oriol003
Years of Service
User Offline
If I don't have the other updates will this work or do I need the other updates?
oriol003
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry for double post but yeah the Map Editor Exe Fixed my problem thanks.
drew4663
Years of Service
User Offline
@xplosys

Thanks, probably what I needed to hear. FYI- I am going to be close to Atanta December 2nd competing in the North American Grappling Association in Jonesboro, Georgia.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2006 20:34
@drew4663

Have you tried downloading and using the FPSC-MapEditor.exe? This might solve your problem. Although sometimes I am given a higher-order-of-being write-up on the forums sometimes, I am just a guy coding on a budget. I use these RC versions to involve the end users in helping me find the key issues and resolving them. This naturally means you are going to get backward steps from time to time. It is not for the timid, and it might be smarter to sit back and wait for the final release of V104, when we will have resolved the map editor crash for you.

The order of installation I would recommend is:

1. Backup all your work, and media
2. Uninstall everything (product and model packs)
3. Manually delete the FPS Creator folder (why you backed up)
4. Install the original V1 version from CD or download
5. Install al your model packs 1,2,3,4,5 as applicable
6. Install V104 RC2

And what seems to be a newie, download and copy FPSC-MapEditor.exe from the FPSC-MapEditor-V100.zip available at the top of this thread. I am interested if users find that after applying the new map editor executable, that the test game and build game still work. Thanks for your continued support - the forums really are the lifeblood of TGC

"Small, smart, and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom programmers aren't extinct after all "
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2006 20:48
Thanks Lee. This one works much much much better than 104 rc1. And the frame rates and lag spots have improved a bit. Not a HUGE jump but much better. Thanks

Your signature has been erased by a mod
muggins majik
Years of Service
User Offline
Works well for me - Thanks for all your work!
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2006 22:56
Lee is uber sweet!

I love butter
MK83
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2006 00:35
Lee or anyone else, this is what I get when installing 1.04 RC2 which should I choose?

http://www.mk83productions.com http://www.freewebs.com/mk83

Attachments

Login to view attachments
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 23rd Nov 2006 00:41
I chose repair and it worked fine, and displayed the V1.04 on startup.

Best.

The forum provides a means to hide our true identity. Too bad we always screw up and let it be seen.

MK83
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2006 00:51
Thanks.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2006 00:59
Thanks Lee for the update. The weapon problem seems to be gone, tomorrow I'll see if the speed of my level has improved also.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2006 02:02
Thanks Lee, updates are just cranking out now, thanks a bunch for turning your attention to fpsc!

Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2006 03:11
I'll try this tomorrow looking good....

www.combatjunkies.co.uk
drew4663
Years of Service
User Offline
I apologize to Lee and the tgc community for posting out of such anger. I was seriously,after days of frustration, just lashing out. Just to let you know I had overlooked the map-editor link and when I replaced the file *POOF* fpsc works again. So yes this did fix the errors I was getting before and I am also able to use the new guns with model pack five now.
JohannesM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2006 14:49
A new update already! Yeah!

p.s: first page!

I used to be Supah Gamer and asked Rich to change my name. So don't get mixed!
Captain Kirk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2006 15:20 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2006 15:21
Thanks Lee for the new patch. I folowed the installation order You provided and now it seems to be working.

But I have a problem with building an arena game. After I made the arena game and I clicked the button to build the game, nothing happened. I waited 10 minutes but the progressbar is not moved.

The single player game build is worked.

I don't have all model packs, only Model Pack 3 v2. So I only installed this after V1 install then I insalled 1.04 RC2 Finally I apllied this mapeditor exe patch.

Is 1.04 patch includes 1.02 patch? (I only installed 1.04 RC2)
bdgbdg
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool, but I have a question:

Is it possible to make Loading Times smaller? Or we can forget about it?

Please answer ASAP

Project FPS - 71%
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2006 23:33 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2006 23:41
Lee, I've noticed that the engine has stopped creating dds texture files in this version. I've created some new segments and entities and the engine hasn't converted any of the textures as dds files. It just uses the original texture formats.

Is there any reason for this or is this a bug? If this has been done on purpose, I'm not sure if I'm happy with it. This means the file size of the build game will be even much larger, since dds files are really very well compresed. Switching to jpg texture files isn't an option then I'm going to loose transparency. So you're stuck with using 32bit tga files to ensure quality and transparency, and those are 20 times as large as dds files.

I've got no software that converts jpg/tga into a use-able dds format, I was depending on the FPSC engine to do the job.

GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
enablerbr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2006 23:59
Benjamin A just in case GIMP has a 3rd party plugin for it. that allows .dds file support.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2006 00:06
You don't have to use .dds.

bmp,tga,jpg and png files all work with FPSC.
And if you look in the resources sticky in the models and media forum you will find DDS Converter 2.
It will convert your images into .dds files.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2006 00:12
I know you don't have to use dds, but it's the best compression/quality rate for games. I found it very convenient that the engine converted the files automatically and I wondered why it stopped doing so.

Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2006 00:53 Edited at: 24th Nov 2006 00:53
Quote: "32bit tga files to ensure quality and transparency, and those are 20 times as large as dds files."

really?

It's the opposite way for me, .dds files are massive when compared to .tga

@lee
Will there ever be .mpg support?

MK83
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2006 06:46
Benjamin use this to convert files to .dds
http://eliteforce2.filefront.com/file/DDS_Converter;29412

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2006 09:03
MK83, downloaded it, but it doesn't run on my pc . It seems to call certain nVidia drivers or is it based on the usage of those gfx cards?

Quote: "really?

It's the opposite way for me, .dds files are massive when compared to .tga"

Not with the dds files the FPSC engine created. They're always a lot smaller then my TGA files.

Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 24th Nov 2006 09:10
To shine a little light, there are many different compression standards for DDS, some are large compression standards and others are more optimised. Generally if your software allows DDS DXT1 compression your laughing. DXT1 is the greatest balance of size and quality, use DXT5 if your using alpha.
kizza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2006 17:59
i have been trying to fix that error for ages and the map editor fixed it thanks sooooooooo much i am so grateful

we are alive to die
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2006 08:54
My enemies are still walking/running through walls,etc.

bsgamemaker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2006 09:10
@Lee Bamber

Is there anyway you can increase load times, that would be most appreciated?

Thank You!!
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2006 09:30
Quote: "Is there anyway you can increase load times, that would be most appreciated?"

You mean decrease load times.

RF

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2006 12:50
Quote: "Is there anyway you can increase load times, that would be most appreciated?"

Sure, just add more stuff to your levels

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2006 15:07
Along with decreasing loading times,if possible,it would be nice if you could decrease the time when you test the level and when you are done testing the level and you press the ESC key.
With larger levels it takes forever for me to go from testing the game back to where I can build again.

Captain Kirk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2006 15:20
I have a big problem:

I installed my stuffs (FpsCreator V1 from CD, ModelPack3V2 (I only have this), and 1.04 Rc2 patch with the FPSC-mapeditor.exe patch )in the correct order as Lee provided.

But when I tried to build my final arena game exe (not with the test build) FPSC freeze, progressbar not started. I waited 10 minutes - nothing happened.

Test build mode, and single player final exe build is working well for me, but arena final game exe build is not working for me.

Without the mapeditor patch my FPSC stops working with an error. I can't miss it.
Please, help.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2006 21:27
Compile and load times for final game and compile, load and unload in Editor at test run - This is a complex issue and yes nice if this could be improved. In large complex games quite obviously - to end users the lost time sitting around waiting is very prohibitive to helpful game development times

Dont see it happening any time soon. Its something that has always existed and many suggestions have been made regarding the time issues involved for users. The issues for the developers of FPSC are different.

I had made suggestions regarding the issues long time back - Lee undoubtedly has his own thoughts. I have no idea what they are. I only know it would be a major undertaking to make any significant improvement or at least it would seem to me that it would be.

But what do I know - nothing really about FPSC and the internal workings.

"I am and forever will be your friend"
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2006 21:38
Lee i have a question, how come everytime i install an update i have to type in my Version code or key, or w/e you want to call it, im sick of having to keep finding the little booklet and dig out the code

You'll Know When You See It.

Death has no end
muggins majik
Years of Service
User Offline
I can live with the loading times, the real problem I see (and this has been mentioned before!) Is not being able to take an item out of your project folder once you've decided you don't want it in your level. I have created a large complex level and filled it with characters, but I now have different ideas and not being able to try something first before putting it in your project seems barmy!
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2006 01:14
I would like to see that as well.
I am sure when it is all said and done Lee and the rest of the fine folks at TGC will implement some or all of these suggestions.

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, it seems that the two most annoying things have been fixed.

Multiple storyzones work across levels and you can re-up health if exiting a level with less than 100%.

Nice work. Add faster load times and terrain support and we've got it made.

i need help
Years of Service
User Offline
if i want 1 of the model packs say the 5th do i need the others as well
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2006 23:30
i keep getting a wierd texture bug

Death has no end

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2006 23:43
@i need help: no, each pack is a separate thing.

muggins majik
Years of Service
User Offline
Bloodeath 6 6 6, turn off active fog and it should solve the problem.
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 06:18
Oh haha, i forgot i turned it on...thanks

Death has no end
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 12:05
Some responses to the issues raised:

1. I was not aware of any change to the code which creates DDS files from non-DDS texture files during the build process. Have you conducted a side by side comparison between V1 and V104 RC2? You must ensure that the texture does not use texture division during the build process.

2. Enemies running through walls is not something I have seen. Perhaps through doors when the state is in transition. We will be creating a much faster and solid system for character movement under DarkAI at some future point, but for now I am keen to learn what is meant by 'through walls'. Please send a small test level FPM of this bug with a step by step of what I must do to see it, email this to lee@thegamecreators.com

3. The issue of load/build times in test game mode and build game mode is perhaps one of the most notable pet hates of FPSC users. It is the nature of the fact that the WHOLE LEVEL is reconstructed each time that gives rise to the many things that must be done to make your game level performance ready. No one task can be skipped, lest you have an incomplete level. No element can be ignored. We have plans to look at ways to keep-hold of parts of the level that do not need to be reconstructed from scratch, but this will not be part of a bug-fixing update as it represents a significant devlopment effort to streamline and optimize.

4. The concept of not being able to remove un-used entities and segments from the level is one that hits those users with larger levels. I have penciled this in as something that should be attended sooner rather than later, as it really does limit how long you can edit a level before it becomes non-viable.

5. Anyone that gets a black character, with no texture showing, has at some point been inside the level global settings and changed the FOG ACTIVE field to 1. Without specifying a range also, the fog would totally saturate all characters. I will look at this and perhaps change the defaults so you see the fog, rather than black characters before adjustment.

6. There are no plans to add MPG support to FPSC.

7. If there are no objections, the map-editor.exe posted at the start of this thread will be used in the next RC3 version of the update as it seems to be a well received version.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 12:23
I hope you have at least encountered the situation where you kill an enemy and it floats in the air or half the body is in one room and half the body is in another.
In all fairness I think a lot of the "enemies running through walls" thing didn't start until I started using custom AI.
I have cured this problem myself by using waypoints.
I will be glad to see some form of DarkAI as well as DarkLights if at all possible...one of the things that can severly increase loading times is lightmapping.
It would be nice if fog was implemented as has been discussed in the fog thread.
Rendering only some of an area instead of the whole level would be nice but I can only imagine what a pain it would be to do that.
Being able to delete entites,segments,etc. that I do not wish to use in my levels from the library would speed up my game making considerably.
Thanks for the updates.V104 RC2 is the best one yet.

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 12:35
FredP, email Lee a level showing the floating enemies, the system should not create such results, so send Lee a small file that shows it happening please.

Financial Director
TGC Team
[Check out Jed McKenna - http://www.wisefoolpress.com/]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 03:24:28
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 03:24:28