Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / FPS Creator 1.04 RC7

Author
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 14:32 Edited at: 18th Dec 2006 17:46
Hi Guys,

Find RC7 ready for testing:

http://www.fpscreator.com/betafiles/FPSC_104_RC7.zip

The changes:

* Added MFC71.DLL to associate with the new FPSCreator.exe BCG DLL (the origin of the DLL import) - should resolve some compatibility issues
* Added support for the DarkLIGHTS technology, replacing the built-in static object lightmapper with faster and better lightmapping
* If the MyGames folder has been deleted, FPSC will automatically restore this folder within the 'FPS Creator' folder
* The 'Physics Force Damage' field is predictable now. 100 causes no damage, higher values inflict damage on other entities this entity hits
* If continue to stack entities (using 'find ground' feature), the editor will automatically step up to the next layer to help editing
* NEW FEATURE : DarkLIGHTS Technology has now been added, replacing the old Quick-Light-Mapper (for improved visuals and speed)

Edit: Important Info - ENSURE you have the latest DirectX from the microsoft website, or you may find the editor will crash!

In the next version I will be adding some more needed DLLs, looking at the pop-up during lightmapping, solving this 'freeze' issue reported so far and looking to make sure I have not messed anything up by swapping out the old lightmapper (a large chunk of the build process).

"Small, smart, and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom programmers aren't extinct after all "
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 14:35
Great! Downloading now.... I have today off so time for some testing methinks

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 14:36
A tip just in. A user who experienced the freeze, reinstalled the upgrade fully (DO NOT CHOOSE REPAIR), and the freeze vanished Not sure if this will apply to everyone however, we need more reports.

"Small, smart, and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom programmers aren't extinct after all "
DJ Professor K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 14:53
DarkLights, w00t.

Great Job

I'm finally on school vacations, so today i'm going to try this out with several of my maps

I should post a small report later

My love is seperated in 2 parts, 1 of them is 3ds Max 7, the other; FPSC.
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 14:55 Edited at: 18th Dec 2006 15:19
Ok, the lightmapping definitely needs tweaking, here's a screeny:

1/. I don't have any purple lights in the level, as shown on the gun. As I walk under lights, the colours change from brown - yellow - purple. Here's the colour I'm using for that particular light : aeb7ed
2/. Decals on the floor (as in a blood splat near the door and the papers) have shadows. Looks like it's not taking transparency into consideration?

3/. Light seems to come through the door as though it's just a door frame.

bdgbdg
Years of Service
User Offline
Great additions, I'll try them right now.

Too bad NickyDude is getting those bugs... Any idea why, Lee?

Project FPS - 71%
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 15:15 Edited at: 18th Dec 2006 15:17
These are from my work in progress, perhaps they'd be ok if a new project was created?

Edit: I'll edit my first post if I find more stuff.

bdgbdg
Years of Service
User Offline
Let's wait and check out what Lee says...

Project FPS - 71%
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 15:36 Edited at: 18th Dec 2006 15:37
Reports:

1. Yes I have seen this also, will investigate
2. Try FULL LIGHTMAPPING which takes into account all alpha data
3. This is intended as the door 'can' be opened, and there is no dynamic lightmapping in FPSC V1. If you don't want this artifact, either limit the range of the light or make the door a fake door.

For point three, if the majority feel doors should block the lightmap calculation, let me know and I will change it around. I rather like the effect of light through doors though, as it could be seen as light coming through the gap below the door (and gives a clue to which doors are real doors). For V1 we cannot have dynamic lighting which moves with the door (shadow maps). This is perhaps a feature that will go into X10 however (post April'07).

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 15:37 Edited at: 18th Dec 2006 16:20
Hard crash. This is the first update that caused any program issues for me, and I installed them all as they were available.
FPSC simply won't run. Removing and reinstalling everything. I'll continue this post when it's all back in.

EDIT:
Reinstalled Original FPSC: tested: everything seemes fine.
Installed V1.04_RC7: Same Crash.
Quote: "FPSC-MapEditor.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.
We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Quote: "The application has encountered a problem and needs to close. Extra Debug Info: 0 0"

Removed MFC71.DLL: No change.

On a whim I checked for an updated DirectX and found DirectX SDK (October 2006)
Installed DirectX update and restarted: No more crash.
Restored previously removed MFC71.DLL: Still no crash.
Now installing model packs......

EDIT:
Installed all model packs including sprite pack in order and tested after each one. Also reinstalled V1.04_RC7 after Pack 3 and 5 since thay install V1.03 again.
Anyway, all installations successful and FPSC running normally under V1.04_RC7.

Now to test......

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 15:38
@xplosys - perhaps try deleting the MFC71.DLL if your reinstall fails. This is an addition that I did not anticipate causing problems.

Jams38
Years of Service
User Offline
So far no bugs, i do have to say darklights is a big improvment.
Very nice.
Cant wait for Dark A.I.

Jams38
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 16:01
Quote: "2. Try FULL LIGHTMAPPING which takes into account all alpha data"

Yep, that solved it I never used full lightmapping because it would alway give a "debug error - Extra Info 0 0" error and bomb out, but this release may have solved that, thanks

Quote: "3. This is intended as the door 'can' be opened, and there is no dynamic lightmapping in FPSC V1. If you don't want this artifact, either limit the range of the light or make the door a fake door.

For point three, if the majority feel doors should block the lightmap calculation, let me know and I will change it around. I rather like the effect of light through doors though, as it could be seen as light coming through the gap below the door (and gives a clue to which doors are real doors). For V1 we cannot have dynamic lighting which moves with the door (shadow maps). This is perhaps a feature that will go into X10 however (post April'07)."

Fair enough, I see what you're getting at, it just seems a bit weird to have a 'god like' door thats all

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 16:11 Edited at: 18th Dec 2006 16:54
I tried installation of RC7 and get the crash on Editor load too for the first time ever.

I have tried all normal procedures to fix i.e. unistall FPSC, reboot, reinstall etc to no avail. I will wait for a fix nothing more I can do this end.

It might be helpful if we could extract the individual components first and copy them across one by one and try and isolate which causes the crash instaed of having the installtion procedure.

EDIT :

I will try Lees suggestion then. Reinstalled a number of tinmes and deleted the MFC71.DLL

Still have same problem with Editor Crash myself.

Now I shall try the latest DirectX suggestion.

SECOND EDIT :

I can confirm the installation of the latest DirecX version December 06 will fix the Editor crash.

On compile test level I had a couple of error messages realting to objects in level however they can be ignored as they do not stop the compile process thank goodness.

I can also confirm the issue with decal type objects - screen shot attached. You can see half way up on left hand side a white floor entity near the rubbish bin where you can clearly see the large tile sized shadow where the enitites transparency colur is.

Anyway great job Lee - its a good FPSC day today.

"I am and forever will be your friend"

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 16:13 Edited at: 18th Dec 2006 17:17
Just a personal thing, but an option, perhaps, to skip the pop up about reducing the textures when testing the game? When testing my game, I usually click the test button then do something else (like make a coffee, etc) and the game is ready to test when I return, saves me sitting there just waiting (especially if it's a large game). Perhaps put the warning at the end, after the build has been completed?

bdgbdg
Years of Service
User Offline
I can't use the shadows, they just don't have any funcion, it's the same if they're on or off.

Full Lightmapping doesn't work (Crash)
Dynamic Lights ruin the walls and have strange effects, plus, I can't use the Ligh2.fpi script, as it won't light the place as it should.

If I'm doing something wrong about the shadows (comparing to what I've seen on the screen of the other thread [the old one]) warn me.
I'll continue testing. By the Way, I'm just using Test Mapping, I don't know if Lee programmed/didn't change it.

Project FPS - 71%
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 16:27
Quote: "Fair enough, I see what you're getting at, it just seems a bit weird to have a 'god like' door thats all "

Or I could just say Lee's bent over behind the door, as we all know where the sun shines from

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 16:31
Quote: "Or I could just say Lee's bent over behind the door, as we all know where the sun shines from "
lol...

Or just as an alternative for those of us who would rather not contemplate such things, we now need to be a little more creative with our lighting. You should expect to have to make some changes when upgrading to a better system.

Best.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 16:42
Quote: "A tip just in. A user who experienced the freeze, reinstalled the upgrade fully (DO NOT CHOOSE REPAIR), and the freeze vanished "

It worked for me too.
Then I had the crash when the level was loading like some others here.
I don't remember what it stopped on the first time.
The second time it was loading an entity called frntblm.1 or something like that...
When I rebooted FPSC again (for the third time) I checked and no such entity existed in my level and the test level loaded.
I have not tried the full lightmapping yet.
The level ran really choppy but that's nothing new.
My understanding is when DarkAI is incroporated into FPSC that it will fix that.
I have only had the time to mess around with one level.
I am going to check out a different level now.

Swhale aka The FPS Creator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 16:43 Edited at: 18th Dec 2006 16:58
I just dl'ed RC7. Before I installed it I uninstalled RC6, once I installed RC7 FPSC failed to run properly. I get the error shown in the pic. After that, it sits a second, and then gives my the debug error. HELP?

*edit* this occurs when initially loading the program
*edit* I deleted the aformentioned .DLL that was in FPSC'c files to no avail.

*edit* Fixed by installing latest direct x files, see my later post.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120

Attachments

Mikey spike
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 16:51
Quote: "I tried installation of RC7 and get the crash on Editor load too for the first time ever. Screenie attached followed by yes you guessed - Extra debug Info error screen.

I have tried all normal procedures to fix i.e. unistall FPSC, reboot, reinstall etc to no avail. I will wait for a fix nothing more I can do this end.

It might be helpful if we could extract the individual components first and copy them across one by one and try and isolate which causes the crash instaed of having the installtion procedure.

EDIT,

I will try Lees suggestion then. Reinstalled a number of tinmes and deleted the MFC71.DLL

Still have same problem with Editor Crash myself.

Now I shall try the latest DirectX suggestion.
"

i have the same error, might just go back to RC6 untill theres a fix

[url]http://www.freewebs.com/mikey-spikey/index.htm[url]
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 16:56
Latest DirectX version will fix the Editor crash.

"I am and forever will be your friend"
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 16:57
Dark Lights Quote:

Quote: "Three types of light: Directional, Point and Spot Lights"

Will these be implemented sometime down the line Lee?

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 16:57
Yup guys, just go to micrisoft and DL the newet additions to Direct X, it worked for me just fine! Thanks xplosys!

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 17:24
Had the crash at first also, but the latest DirectX fixed it. Building a game now to test.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Mikey spike
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 17:24 Edited at: 18th Dec 2006 17:33
ok thanks for that guys, ill just go get it now, thanks again, ohh and lee, thanks for the updates for FPSC if it when't for you, id be bored!

EDIT yep that worked!

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 17:25 Edited at: 18th Dec 2006 17:27
Quote: "I can also confirm the issue with decal type objects - screen shot attached. You can see half way up on left hand side a white floor entity near the rubbish bin where you can clearly see the large tile sized shadow where the enitites transparency colur is."

uman, did you try a FULL LIGHT MAPPING in the Preferences? That solved the decal shadow problem for me.

bdgbdg
Years of Service
User Offline
Full Light Mapping in the Preferences Crashed my game when testing level.

Project FPS - 71%
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 17:29
That's what used to happen with me with all the other releases, but it seems fine for this one. Have you tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling (not just REPAIR)?

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 17:31 Edited at: 18th Dec 2006 17:36
Speeds are good on a small test level, lights look great with everything on full (mapping/shadows) max and loading times are great. I noticed this while moving objects, rather strange. See attached video.

Attachments

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 17:40
Found a buggie. When clicking on objects in the history panel, then using keyboard commands to manipulate them, as in rotate and change static to dynamic, or light range and whatnot, it won't let you do it. You have to first click in the map editing area before your able to to those types of commands.

*edit* well, I wanted to see whether or not it happened if I chose an item out of the library instead of the history, and it worked fine. Also, alfter that, using items out of histroy worked as well. After closing and opening the program, the problem did not exsist, so its not reacurring. everyone was posting what was wrong with RC7 so I didn't know wether here or the bug report forum was more appropriate.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 17:59
Went and got the latest DirectX and uninstalled v1.04 completely and then installed RC7.
Lightmapping and all seems to work fine on full lightmapping...and it looks pretty.
The freeze is back...if I remove an enity or segment from my map and save FPSC freezes and I have to exit FPSC via the Task manager but if I build the test level it seems to save just fine.
I like all of the pretty lights.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 18:02
Quote: "Speeds are good on a small test level, lights look great with everything on full (mapping/shadows) max and loading times are great. I noticed this while moving objects, rather strange. See attached video."

Same sort of thing happens if you're holding a gun, when you walk under lights, it's like you're walking under one of those multicoloured disco lights!

Mikey spike
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 18:05
yeah, i found the "calculating object light" very slow, im still on that part from about 15 mins ago

bdgbdg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 18:09 Edited at: 18th Dec 2006 18:13
Well, I know what happened...

Now Full Lighmapping works and looks fine (it's fast!!!).
BUT, I can't use shadows, they don't work for me, on both static or dynamic entities. Also, if you put an object near the light source, all of it will become ligher, what can give strange effect for whoever plays it. Also, Dynamic lighs don't have any effect in my test level (I'll test them again and put the results here).

EDIT: Yep, dynamic lights won't work for me and another thing, If you have a destructable element in the game, when you destroy it, the lights won't work on it...

Project FPS - 71%
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 18:30
What do you mean by 'shadows', can you provide a step by step from a new level what you are doing, and what you expect, perhaps with screenshots of the 'before' and 'after' the DarkLIGHTS replacement. As far as I understand the term, shadows are an integral part of what any lightmapper produces

bdgbdg
Years of Service
User Offline
In the last thread, you showed us a reasult of the use of shadows in a screenshot.
I'll show what I mean (see picture attached). How can I get those kind of shadow effects?

Project FPS - 71%

Attachments

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 18:43 Edited at: 18th Dec 2006 18:44
[off topic]
Can I just take this opportunity here (and I'm sure most will agree) that through all the whinging and moaning about "This isn't working", "that error's popping up", "add more of this", this is still one of the most easiest 'pick up and play' game makers I've come across (and I've bought a few ). A very big thank you for putting in so much effort, especially over the last couple of months, to make a great product even greater.

[/off topic]

I've done many test builds and proper builds and not once (fingers crossed) have I come across an error that crashes the game. Well done!

bdgbdg
Years of Service
User Offline
Got it to work now... I re-installed RC7, my guess it wasn't installed correctly... Sorry for bothering.

Working really fine!!!
Thank you!!!

Project FPS - 71%
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 18:53 Edited at: 18th Dec 2006 18:59
Just create a level with some stairs, put the light above the stairs, make sure there is a floor, make sure your preferences show full lightmapping, then click test game (making sure you have completely uninstalled any previous upgrade and installed RC7 fully)

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 19:16 Edited at: 18th Dec 2006 19:20
Lee, what overall ambience level do you have set in that screenshot? I'm trying to duplicate it but getting nowhere near what you have.

Do you have an fpm we can all test to see if we get any differences?

Attachments

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Had a few problems getting it to install but after updating direct x and a fresh install the update works well for me.

Testing some levels now.

Im a wizz at texturing toilets
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 19:37
Quote: "Can I just take this opportunity here (and I'm sure most will agree) that through all the whinging and moaning about "This isn't working", "that error's popping up", "add more of this", this is still one of the most easiest 'pick up and play' game makers I've come across"

We're not whining and crying...okay...maybe a little.
We just want to make sure that everything works right.
This is the easiest point and click FPS maker out there.
We just want to make sure that it keeps getting better and better.
Lee asked for our input and we are just giving it to him.
I am thankful that TGC has done such a wonderful job with FPSC and provided such great support for their product.
BTW Lee,
I know I have said it before but I have to say it again.
The new lightmapping is just gorgeous.Great job.
Thanks again.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 19:49 Edited at: 18th Dec 2006 19:58
Ok, done some more tests and seems like I can't get proper shadowing. Take a look at this screeny:

You can see on the wall where the red light is, but there's no shadows for the barrels (which are static and have "Physics ON? = No") and no shadow from the steps.

I have Full light mapping and shaders turned on and overall ambience level at 5. The light range is 500. I'll test it with a lower light range.

*Edit: nope, tried the light range at 300 and 100 and still no shadows, perhaps I'm not doing it right :/*

How on earth did you get yours to look like the screenshot you've showed us Lee?

Jams38
Years of Service
User Offline
was the problem ever solved about the color changes on the weapons that Nickydude had?
i am having that problem now and have switched to full light mapping, but still getting it.

Thanks

Jams38
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 19:54
Give it time

Davy B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 19:56
Quote: "If the MyGames folder has been deleted, FPSC will automatically restore this folder within the 'FPS Creator' folder"

Thanks lee, thats the reason why i couldn't build a game at all, someone delete it off my computer.

The one and only Davy B
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 20:17
All,

Here are my findings after testing two of my custom levels for the broken.

1) During the first build I noticed that the gun would reflect an off color when walkingunder a light, I exited and placed shaders on full and it seemed to fix the problem.

2) Lightmaps are softer now, and appears that the default ambience has been adjusted with this update. the < and > buttons no longer bring the ambience light to total black. this not a bad thing as you can still adjust it via the globl settings.

3) Over all speed has increased by 4-5 fps in places that would normally drop to 22-24 fps, I remain at a constant 31-33 fps. With the adition of DarkAi I am hoping that the fps will be a consistant 33 fps.

4) I don't know if Lee worked on shaders at all for this release but the character shaders seem to be working a little better than in v1.00 RC1-RC6. I still recommend removing the shader information from the .fpe file as they look a little bright for any amient lighting you may try.

Recommendations:

1) Add function to adjust intensity without relocating the actual light.

2) Add rotate feature to the lights so they are omni directional.

Over all this is a great update, I am not sure why so many people are having problems with this update but we all know how FPSC is. It never runs the same on any one environment.

Lee, I will agree with everyone here who has said that the recent updates has made this the best indie dev tool on the market today! Great job!

Regards,
RF

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 20:20 Edited at: 18th Dec 2006 20:23
@DavyB - I thought it better that FPSC repairs itself rather than tell you what the problem was It means future DavyB's will have a better experience!

Try turning shaders off when using the lightmapping. In the meantime, send me any FPM level and I will lightmap it and provide a screenshot (if you email it to me). You should have no problems, just add lights and click test game

Also, the problem with the dynamic light turning guns blue has been fixed (turns out the colour RGB values where wrapping rather than capping at 255). More fixes as I find them.

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 20:27 Edited at: 18th Dec 2006 20:27
Quote: "During the first build I noticed that the gun would reflect an off color when walkingunder a light, I exited and placed shaders on full and it seemed to fix the problem."

Actually turning dynamic lights off worked for this fix. Sorry LEe for giving the bad info. (I am testing both levels that I have already sent to you)

And it seems you have fixed this....uhm...I just became that guy! Now I must listen to The darkness while i recant my sins.....though The darkness is considered a sin amongst us metal heads. We shoot you all know what I mean.

Thanks again Lee for the fast responses

Regards,
RF

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 23:27:05
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 23:27:05