Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / [LOCKED] DBPro in 10 years times

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
its been a question in my head for time now, what will DBPro (or the games creation industry) be like in 10 years from now, will it require 100's more people, will 1 man programing come to an end?
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "will 1 man programing come to an end?"

Course not. You can always make pong and asteroids clones by yourself ^_^

Sometimes the only way over a wall is to pile up enough bodies to climb over - Dave W.
sp3ng
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah but then u get ridiculed for ur creation of such an ancient monstrosity

i have a dream of perfect tactical realism in games
have a question about military tactics?
ask me at this post http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=94634&b=1
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "yeah but then u get ridiculed for ur creation of such an ancient monstrosity"

Such is life

Sometimes the only way over a wall is to pile up enough bodies to climb over - Dave W.
Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 04:52
Quote: "its been a question in my head for time now, what will DBPro (or the games creation industry) be like in 10 years from now, will it require 100's more people, will 1 man programing come to an end? "

no offence but thats a stupid question...how the heck do we know what the future holds? if you want estimates from us then i would probably say that if you want to make a good game it will still require lots of people like it does today....

sorry if this is offensive

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 05:09
I wonder how long DB has been around so far. It's gotta be pretty close to 10 years. If someone know when DB 1.0 was release perhaps we could plan a special 10 year anniversary newsletter recapping its history.

DB will definitely become more superior in the next 10 years. Look at the improvements it's made so far. And with the growing number of tutorials and users, it'll only become easier for beginners. I remember when they first introduced memblocks to DBC. We had no tutorials to refer to back then.

White knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Well aslong as dbpro is easy and ppl want to make games with it and stick to it then dbpro will be around infuture and beyond and ppl will make games with it asusal.

new learning center comming soon http://911.bounceme.net/
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 08:16
If all goes well it'll work perfectly on holographic monitors with touch sensitivity, voice controls, and compatibility with several types of biometric interfaces.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 09:33
@Grog Grueslayer
Cant wait for that day to come, i'll be first in... the internet line.

Anyways, I would much like to see an executable format which is used on all operating systems, which would allow DarkBASIC Pro to become available on all platforms. If companies could just, set aside their differences, and work on an executable for all platforms... That would be nice. However, I doubt that will ever happen though.

None of this was about DBP... So, im gonna wrap this up, and post my message.

Cheers,

-db

"There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people."
GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 11:15 Edited at: 15th Feb 2007 11:15
In 10 years time.... <wobble screen effect>

Microsoft has come to its senses and killed off XNA and replaced its home brew kit with Dark Basic Pro.... and give it away free to kill of the Blitz and othergame dev competition...

..back to the present... <wobble screen effect>

.. argh MS own DBP!

http://www.KumKie.com http://bulldog.servegame.com
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 11:26 Edited at: 15th Feb 2007 11:28
Quote: "I wonder how long DB has been around so far."

DBC Earliest info I have is:

Version 0.9.0 ( 01 / SEP / 99 )
Private Beta of the Online Edition of Dark Basic

Version 1.0.0 ( 18 / DEC / 99 )
Final Build of the Limited Edition Dark Basic CD

DBP Earliest info I have is:

Patch 1.01 came put in
September 12, 2002

GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 11:28 Edited at: 16th Feb 2007 01:20
How things change, hehehe

Is this an early box or a another product with the same name?

I started with this one

But sold it fast when this one was released

http://www.KumKie.com http://bulldog.servegame.com
Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 13:59 Edited at: 15th Feb 2007 14:05
Well DirectX will be completely different, if it still exists it'll be raytracing engine instead. DBP will be a lot more well known, if it goes well nearly all the people with video game dreams will know about DBP.

Quote: "yeah but then u get ridiculed for ur creation of such an ancient monstrosity"

I don't think anyone would get ridiculed. My friends were amazed when I made my first text adventure. I help contests in the game, like whoever gets to level to can have an NPC with their name and a custom quest. (I never got around to making the pool party minigame my brother wanted though) They loved it, especially this part:

Quote: "
You are on floor 32.
What do you want to do?
Floor 31, Jump
?Jump
You jumped off
You died.
Game Over
"

And if they bought the parachute:

Quote: "
You are on floor 32.
What do you want to do?
Floor 31, Jump
?Jump
You died.
Wait a minitue! You didn't die! How did you do that?
"

They loved expreimenting with the game, like putting in the wrong pin number at the bank and getting arrested for trying to steal someone's money, or just trying to best my Tic-Tac-Toe AI, or trying to make the recepionist fall out of love with them. There's really nothing wrong with text adventures, they can be made faster than any other game. When I told them I made a game and they were hoping for an MMORPG but they still they didn't critize. Now I'm starting 3D and they'll really be impressed. I haven't had much of a social life the past 4 months, I've been too busy making games. I should take a break and show them what I've made in all that time.

Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 14:45

In ten years, we'll be calling Oblivion a classic.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 15:50
In 10 years we'll still be waiting on the new Duke Nukem game , and Oblivion will still run like crud on my PC.

Good guy, Good guy, Wan...
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 17:50
In 10 years?

In 10 years, the earth will be flooded with so much polution in the air that we'll all either be dead or living in air pockets underground. All animals and vegetation will be gone, and any sources of fuel other than the sun and electricity will be dried up.

In 10 years, dark basic might still be around, but computers will be covered in sand.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 17:55
In ten years:

DBPro will support realtime true 3D lightmapping.
DBPro will support 1Mx1M pixel textures for all objects.
DBPro will support DirectY <joke>
DBPro will have bloom as default
DBPro will natively support up to 10 quad core PPUs and infinitely many CPUs
DBPro will support one nerve controller - and people like us, but wearing silicon underwear will have to write dlls to support more, by using the DirectBionic interface!
DBPro will optionally export to microchips which can be inserted into different objects like glasses, goggles, TVs, computers, playsation 21s or even pencils.
These objects will work out what you are thinking by connecting to the bio-implants in the nearest person.
Everybody will have implants which are detected by doors, beds, chairs, tables, TVs and other stuff, so that they can react to your thoughts and give you what you want.
Micropooft will own all technology copyrights.

OK, maybe in 100 years that will happen!

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 18:17
in ten years a mac will only mean a raincoat! "a mac computer? what's that?"

Projects: zlugs-2%
Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 21:52
Quote: "Everybody will have implants which are detected by doors, beds, chairs, tables, TVs and other stuff, so that they can react to your thoughts and give you what you want."

So I could make a program that records every thought people near it are thinking? Cool. I'll be able to read minds...

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 22:09
10 years from now our planet will have been conquered by aliens. Or mice. Which is probably the same.

LD52
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2007 05:11
Quote: "conquered by aliens. Or mice."

I understand aliens but mice - Why have we not given them enough cheese or something ?
jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2007 05:22
in ten years someone will write the first fully-functional AI in DBP and it will connect itself to the internet and take over the world

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2007 05:30
And no doubt it will crash half way through its attempt..

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP)
acelepage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2007 05:54
If I were to extrapolate the current technology curve and apply it to graphics capabilities 10 years hence, I estimate that poly-counts and texture maps will have increased to such a degree that virtual objects will be difficult to differentiate from real objects. DBP programmers will be creating avatars that appear completely life-like. These avatars will begin competing for acting jobs in movies, and TV commercials. DBP programmers will try and encode personalities into the avatars to reflect themselves, in an attempt to gain a degree of fame.
Popular pick-up lines will be like "My avatar got a supporting role in Scary Movie 14".

Or maybe not...

Communications protocols will have matured, and gaming, while able to create photo-realistic virtual worlds, will be interconnected with hundreds of other systems, over high-speed networks. Games that run on a single PC will be an ancient concept.

( 2b || !2b ), that is the question. The answer: true
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2007 06:38
Quote: "I estimate that poly-counts and texture maps will have increased to such a degree that virtual objects will be difficult to differentiate from real objects."

Wow thats original!!

Ten years time will seem such a slow change that we will hardly notice it. The last ten years haven't thrown too many radical changes in our way, so why would the next ten?

Dbpro should still be around, if it continues to develop.

Blender3D - GIMP - WINXP - DBPro
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Almost 10 years ago, the classic Dark Forces 2 : Jedi Knight was released.

Well, compare that to modern games. Imagine this transition in graphics but starting at the level we are at now. If things keep going at this pace...

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2007 07:48
Ooh, in 10 years we increased texture resolution and invented lightmaps. Imagine the next 10 years. We can probably increase texture resolutions and invent a lightmap lightmapper...

Quote: "I estimate that poly-counts and texture maps will have increased to such a degree that virtual objects will be difficult to differentiate from real objects."

I don't think that polygon counts will go too high. They don't need to. Normal maps look like tons of polygons but aren't.

I think that in the next 10 years technology will have reached the place that video games are taken seriously as an art form. In their infancy, movies were nothing but a cheap silly diversion compared to books. Now movies are definitely an art form. I see video games achieving this in the big budget studios.

I think our tools will become more powerful, but the gap will widen between indie developers and studio productions. Get in now before it's too late. The gap is already pretty wide.

Come see the WIP!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2007 08:29
Who says we'll be using polygons in the next 10 years? - We'll surely have smooth geometry by then, like Nurbs - model smoothness will depend on your hardware.

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Ooh, in 10 years we increased texture resolution and invented lightmaps. Imagine the next 10 years. We can probably increase texture resolutions and invent a lightmap lightmapper..."

Cash, there is FAR more technology going into modern games than that, I know you know that... Don't scoff. Compare that previous screenshot with a shot from Gears of War or something. We've traveled very far graphically in the last 10 years. An even larger gap in the last 15 as we had the transition from 2d to 3d.

Quote: "They don't need to. Normal maps look like tons of polygons but aren't."

Yeah, but if you used tons of polygons in place of those normal maps you'd get nicer results I'm just not very fond of bump or normal mapping. Not until their resolutions get turned up higher. Doom3 was the worst. Everything was blurry and smeary

Quote: "Who says we'll be using polygons in the next 10 years? - We'll surely have smooth geometry by then, like Nurbs - model smoothness will depend on your hardware."

You're probably right Van.

TinTin
Years of Service
User Offline
Location: BORG Drone Ship - Being Assimilated near Roda Beta (28)
Posted: 16th Feb 2007 11:30
I've seen the future, it's not bright and it definatley isn't orange.. however DBP or DBPBI as it's known then isn't so much a software package but rather a biometric implant (the BI part) that utilizes the 99% unused part of our brain to create virtual dreamscapes so lifelike you can taste it. unfortunatly due to limitations in bandwidth massive multiplayer connectivity hasn't progressed quite as much causing slight anomalies in the structure of the simulation.

Now I'm stumped if I can remember, was it the Blue pill or the Red pill ???

It's only the things you don't need that are readily available.
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2007 12:24
Quote: "I understand aliens but mice - Why have we not given them enough cheese or something ?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/hitchhikers/guide/mice.shtml

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2007 13:44 Edited at: 16th Feb 2007 13:45
Quote: "that utilizes the 99% unused part of our brain to create virtual dreamscapes so lifelike you can taste it."

The top scientists proved very recently that the brain is being used 100% of the time. If you want life like virtual dreamscapes I highly recommend doing lucid dreaming. I'm not any good at it yet but it sounds like a whole lot of fun. You can literally do anything you want because you're in a dream. It's your dream so you can make pizza materialize, fly off buildings, teleport, talk to the NPCs like they're real people and even change bodies with someone else. And it looks, sounds, feels, tastes and smells even more real than real life. To bad it only lasts a few minutes.

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2007 14:30
Quote: "To bad it only lasts a few minutes."

And is often triggered by the use of certain brain damaging drugs.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2007 16:11
Lucid dreamers are good at exageration.

I used to, but really your talking about being not 100% there, you can enforce ideas in your dream, but your sub-conscious won't allow you to do anything you like - you are not fully conscious. Most people just end up flying around, which is something easy in a dream - I would fly over the ground with maybe an inch clearance at great speed. Most of the time spent in lucid dreams is spent trying to stay asleep, for most people they only achieve the lucid state when are beginning to wake up. It's pretty weird though, because in my lucid dreams, I wake up by falling asleep in my dream, kinda like falling asleep is a doorway. People tend not to dream about things they want to do, so if your dreaming about doing something fun, the chances are you decided through some sort of lucid state to start doing whatever, with me it's driving - I seem to end up driving at high speed and immaculate control, kinda like Burnout sometimes - if videogames ever encroached on this, then I'd be most interested in EA's lucid software .

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2007 16:42
In 10 years time we'll still be here making game making tools easier. It's been about 9 years since Lee started this journey and we still have plenty to do. Health permitting we'll keep the good flag DB waving!

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
[Check out Jed McKenna - http://www.wisefoolpress.com/]
TinTin
Years of Service
User Offline
Location: BORG Drone Ship - Being Assimilated near Roda Beta (28)
Posted: 16th Feb 2007 16:57
What 100%, I remember being constantly told that "if I had half a brain 80% would be unused" although I doubt I should say that aloud. LOL

eh.! subtle hint was the red or blue pill, I don't see it happening in my lifetime though, (unless they devise a way of storing my brain electronicaly in some infinity buffer) maybe I'll live forever, devise a cunnung plan to take over the world. Can you get Meglomania from staring at the Sun too long?

Then again, (those mushrooms did taste funny) DBPBI wouldn't probably exist because I'd imagine the best possible virtual software package that would compile even with typos and eliminate any bugs automaticaly. producing the slickest code imaginable..Oh I've already done that, all I need to do now is reverse engineer it so you guys can share the dream.. hehe

It's only the things you don't need that are readily available.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2007 17:51
@Van B-
That is exactly my experience with lucid dreams. Most of my time in a lucid dream is spent staying asleep, doing lame things that border on daydreams. Not quite what I envisioned when I saw it on the Discovery Channel. That's reality I guess, nothing is quite as good as it seems.

Come see the WIP!
LD52
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2007 18:44
We going to make 4D games and in 20 years 5D games
Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2007 03:10 Edited at: 20th Feb 2007 03:10
I've only done lucid dreaming a few times, and yes it's usually before I wake up or right after I fall asleep. It can be fun, but also creepy. The night I first decided to try it I was pretty creeped out. I kept having the idea that some huge scary monster from Zelda: Twilight Princess would appear and I wouldn't be able to wake up. (I've had trouble waking up before, I had a lucid dream when I was 7 and this guy said "To wake up, you have to pick up the phone" and I picked up the phone but still wasn't awake.) I dozed off and dreamed about two people talking. One of them was my grandpop, and a while later I figured out that the other person was my grandpop too. As soon as I remembered this was impossible I woke up. Later that night I dreamed I was in France then teleported to my living room. I tried to make pizza appear but only blue sparks appeared.

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
I've Lucid dreamed before. It's pretty odd feeling compared to normal sleep. It only happens while falling asleep or waking up. I usually feel very relaxed or restless in that state, so it's not always an enjoyable experience. Usually I have control over waking up or staying asleep, but it's usually harder to stay asleep as the smallest thing may jolt me awake like a noise in the hall or the sun peaking through clouds onto my eyes in the morning. It can be cool, but it doesn't feel authentic like a deep sleep dream does.

jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2007 03:50
lucid dreaming is strange... ive heard about it, and its never happened to me. in my dreams, strange things just happen and i have no control over them. then i wake up

Kenny77
Years of Service
User Offline
I've had this happen before, only twice though. It's not really something I could control, just I got this sudden realization that I was in a dream.
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
An even stranger style of dreaming...

Has anyone ever had a bad fever and had dreams that were more like halucinations while you slept? It's terrible when your fever is bad enough to do that. It's very hard to sleep, but while your sleeping it feels similar to lucid dreaming, only with a seemingly complete lack of control like normal dreams. Usually I dream about a problem I had earlier that day, but in the dream it feels 20 times worse. There's the frustration that comes from feeling like you are half-awake added to the annoyance of the dream. And since you are half-awake, the night feels endlessly long, that also adds to the frustrations. All of these things compounding upon each other makes for a miserable night. Especially if you have a cold or something, since you have a sore throat and runny / stuffed nose. Those nights I usually wake up alot, but the dreams continue when you fall back asleep. I usually want to just stay up the rest of the night when I wake up, but I know it's better to sleep to help get better faster, so I stick the night out. It's even worse if you feel chilled too.

Gah, hope I never get that bad a cold again.

Chompy
Years of Service
User Offline
Perhaps in 10 years time programming languages will have been refined and simplified to the point that only the following is required to create a AAA masterpiece:

Either that or Zombies will have taken over the world. Inevitable really.
Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2007 21:21 Edited at: 20th Feb 2007 21:22
Quote: "the smallest thing may jolt me awake like a noise in the hall"

Hmm. I seem to have the opposite problem with lucid dreams, instead of trying to stay asleep I have trouble waking up. I dunno, maybe it's because I'm usually sooo tired in the morning I can't even get out of bed. Today I had a dream, and in it I was coding Super Mario 256 in DBP and I found a virus on my computer called DIGGSEY_RULES.EXE; Diggsey has "Diggsey rules" in his avatar if I'm correct, it seems the brain uses memory of what you see that day to make a dream.

I get strange dreams when I get colds too. I've even died a few times.

I think waiting for someone to invent a holodeck would be better for virtual worlds that seem real. It's hard to do and sometimes doesn't even seem real.

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "We going to make 4D games and in 20 years 5D games"

wont matter, we can only see 3d

Who wants a Lemon?

I love lemons... and cats
LD52
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2007 22:49
Quote: "wont matter, we can only see 3d"

Wrong - We see 2D thats why 3D glasses where invented and when we make 4D games then 4D glasses will be invented and then when moving on to 5D that 5 dimensional images will be so extreme instead of 5D glasses we will need 5D goggles so yeah start thinking logically please
Brain111
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2007 04:28
5D goggles, that sounds amazing. I can just imagine the advertising for the games: "Halo ^ 5: now in 5 glorious dimensions (5D goggles sold seperately. AA batteries sold seperately from that.)" Do you think 5D goggles would take batteries?
LD52
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2007 04:58 Edited at: 21st Feb 2007 04:59
Lithium-ion batteries probably so they would last longer or maybe AA batteries but by then they'll be AAAAAAAAAAAAAA batteries ? The future's a confusing place hopefully it'll be full of * GOOD * surprises!
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "hopefully it'll be full of * GOOD * surprises!"

Such as a free can of Boston Baked Beans with every video game purchase.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 00:24:42
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 00:24:42