Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Gibble Blops

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2007 00:07 Edited at: 20th Mar 2007 04:17
After a full weeks full of sitting crunched over a computer desk, with the help of some red bull, I've finally gotten my side project to a stable release point. At the time of writing it's about 90% complete (the 2D version at least). In hopes of attracting more attention this time round, Ill keep the post short and to the point.

Game Download
Official Site

On the site you'll find all of the info you need along with methods of getting in touch with me about game feedback and bugs, but Id prefer it if you just post all of that here.

Gameplay screenshot:

More screens can be found on the site.

Hope its fun,
- RUC'

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2007 00:17
great!

Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2007 00:38
looking nice

RPG Engine Work in progress!
Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2007 00:45
Cool, I like the waves

Visit GamingColosseum Web - http://www.gamingc.co.nr/
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2007 04:55 Edited at: 19th Mar 2007 04:14
Thanks, slight update, the version I originally released had some debugging junk in it still, removed it in the latest release.

Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2007 05:22
haha! ROFLCOPTER, thats an awesome name

RPG Engine Work in progress!
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2007 10:37
Cheater! You didn't use proper physics for the rope swinging. Still very nice though. I look forward to giving you a good thrashing.

One thing I noticed though is that if you pause the window for a second, when you unpause it your character will be really fast. Please tell me you're not using screen fps for the timed movement are you?

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2007 11:16
Lol Benjamin i noticed that too last night

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2007 14:19 Edited at: 19th Mar 2007 04:14
at the moment yes, I cant believe I forgot to fix that, it was supposed to be temporary until I made a timer recycling system. Ill get to fixing that now.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2007 04:13 Edited at: 20th Mar 2007 03:07
If anyone manages to get a match going with 3+ users please tell me how it goes as I havent had a chance to test the latest version with more than 2 users.

If you'd like to join, Ill be hosting on IP 69.158.60.150 for the next hour (11PM EST Ill stop). Even if its just for a few minutes Id appreciate it if a few forumers that are bored or have nothing to do could quickly join so I could see if everything is in working order.

Ill also be on DBP's irc channel untill 11pm est.

The next version update will feature:

- Proper round end and game end screens
- Return to main menu option
- Host kicking command
- The grapple collision will be switched to 2D line intersection to work on any FPS
- Will change the delta time to use a proper timer instead of screen fps
- Intro scene
- Graphics update
- Better bullet collision (too hard to get a hit right now)
- Graphics options (turn off shaders, chat, and lower graphics quality as much as possible if need-be)

<edit>

3+ player bug fixed.

Thats all for now, thanks for the feedback so far,
- RUC'

Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2007 03:06
Looks cool

~Cyrano De Bergerac~
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2007 21:32
Thanks, almost finished the next update.

Cool, Steve actually put it in the newsletter, hopefully that'll attract a bit more attention :/

Before I release the latest version though, Ive implemented a character customization system. You can chose your colour and add accessories. Does anyone have any ideas for accessories theyd like to see in the game?

I might switch routes and change to selecting pre-fab characters instead of customizing, and then each character would have seperate abilities, but we'll see.

zork all the way
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2007 01:18 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2007 01:24
thats werid it needs some kind of dll any way to fix this
it wont work

nm fixed sorry for post i just installed the sdk and it worked

Your signature was too big
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2007 02:02
What sdk? :/ All it should need is directx... the tempest dll is included in the download.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2007 11:10
Maybe he downloaded the DirectX SDK and DirectX came with it.

I really am amazed this hasn't got more attention. It is looking awesome and I love the idea of customizable characters.

Milkman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2007 11:43
Hey ruccus. I just downloaded, and this is excellent It looks good and plays good. The only thing that I don't really like is the way that the ropes work. I think it would be cool if they would swing realistically. Other than that, I think it's great, keep up the good work. Let me know if you need any more help with the math

Who needs a signature?
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2007 19:16 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2007 19:17
Thanks TC/Milk.

About the rope physics, Ive been working on that recently, and I think ive come up with a semi-realistic method. Here's a video demonstrating it >>

It works great in the demo I programmed it in, but its giving me a bit of trouble implementing it into the actual game. Ill have it soon though.

Among other things Ive also added:

- A "spike" attack that lets you emit a spike from your head when on-ground, to counter a smash attack.

- An inner "blob" coloured whatever colour you chose, and then faded, to make ti look like the blobs have a membrane inside them full of slime (this isnt seen in the above video, the video was taken before I added the membrane).

- And Im working on a slime explosion effect, basically a bunch of elipses that move out and down when a blob dies.

Thanks to Diggsey for his function to draw filled ellipses, its giving me a lot more cool effects.

New version should be up by easter day with a tonne of updates, around the 95% completion mark. After that all thats left is to setup a server so I can create game listings so theres no more IP entering.

- RUC'

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2007 19:22
The rope physics looks great just like on Liero!

Milkman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2007 02:55
I think the unbending rope was fine, it was just the way that the player moved on the rope that didn't work very well. When you shoot a rope out and it catches the ceiling, you should be able to swing on it at the same speed that you are moving, not any slower. Also, if you stay on it, you should swing back and forth constantly until you eventually stop moving. Just my ideas.

Who needs a signature?
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2007 03:02
The rope demo I just showed does just that, the speed is based on the angle you shoot the rope at, and the rope slowly comes to a stop.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2007 12:32
Nice rope! Much better.

Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2007 00:16
Looking good, hope it all goes well for you in the final installment.

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2007 04:51
Awesome, I love the waves at the bottom! And that rope is much better. Keep it up, RUCCUS!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 17:16:43
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 17:16:43