Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Game Creator Store - Standalone Version BETA

Author
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2008 16:35 Edited at: 18th Mar 2009 19:56
Hi Guys,

Find below a link to the GOOD BETA of the Game Creator Store (standalone version). This application will allow you to browse all the assets in the store and download them for use in DBPro:

http://www.fpscreator.com/betafiles/Game_Creator_Store_Installer_BETA.zip

There are a number of free items in there too so sign up to the store and start downloading. Post here if you find any bugs or issues with the software itself. For queries relating to registering, logging in, etc direct to our support mail system. We want to keep this thread focus on issues with the standalone version itself so we can get the usability right for you. We are particularly focusing on the DOWNLOAD SETTINGS dialog and how easily it integrates into your daily DBPro coding.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2008 17:01 Edited at: 30th Aug 2008 17:15
Other than having to give admin rights to the "GameCreatorStore.exe" after installation to allow creation of download folder for dbp it seems fine to me.

Edit : actually I`m wrong - whatever I do it won`t work for FPSC unless I use the store from the FPSC update
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2008 19:29
It worked well for me, I just changed the download location to the DB Pro setting and down they came I would prefer to store them elsewhere, but that's also easy to change.

One thing to watch out for when first installing - if you don't change the download settings, you will get a Download folder in the executable folder. For me, this was the desktop.

Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2008 20:22
Looks like it's working perfectly - I've tried switching the download location to several different places in the same session and it did exactly as expected. I also switched back and forth between my Custom setting and the FPSC and DBPro settings - this worked fine too.

The only odd thing I saw was that once you setup a custom setting for the download, the setting dropdown was not automatically selecting "Custom" upon window open. If I'm currently using a custom setting, it should say so when I open the download options box.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2008 21:43
Works fine on Ubuntu under wine

James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2008 01:14
Working now, seems with UAC on even applying run as admin wasn`t enough, for some reason I had to edit the permissions checklist for the admin user in the security tab.
Jeff Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2008 01:43
Downloads and perks up fine for me using with Vista Home Premium.

Since you wish this thread to be confined to the software itself, where is a good place to discuss general commercial issues common to many users (as distinct from specific order/user issues which would hopefully be resolved by email)? I.e. commercially unacceptable disclaimer of non-infringement on purchased media, problems with currency conversion vs. posted US$ prices, etc.
chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2008 21:14
works fine here on xp downloaded some stuff to different locations , all went superb just need some cash now to buy some of the better models .

chunks

toshiba satellite 1.6 core duo + nvidia geforce go 7300
windows xp pro.
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2008 00:05
I get an empty error message when I try to login

(Also, you might want to warn people that they have to install XmlLite for the program to work)

[b]Yuor signutare was aresed by a deslyxic mud...
BOX2D V2 HAS HELP FILES! AND A WIKI!
JosephB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2008 06:18 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2008 14:55
Store software download and installation on XP SP3 went well. Using an established TGC account took a couple of moments to get to the terms screen. Downloaded a couple free items with no problems. Will purchase some points later to see how well that works.

Edit:

Purchased points easily and bought items were downloaded and installed quickly and easy to locate and use. A filter/search by type of item (character/weapon) would be beneficial.
EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2008 00:15
Just after a cursory glance, wouldnt it be nice if the search section had an ability to search for room segments, prefabs, weapons etc.

Maybe having a category thing for that sort of search would make it easier to manage when the catalogue gets bigger?

-EdzUp
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2008 21:32
Just a quick question before i download and try this.....Anyone is able to list items for sale in this store....is that correct?

Also do all the models have to be in a specific format? eg 3ds,x?

SMD3D Interactive (c)2008
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2008 22:30 Edited at: 6th Sep 2008 23:03
The Search engine needs a lot of work.

eg. search for "industry" and you get one result but there are many catagories called "Industrial" including some by TGC and yet they are ignored by the search!

Even changing the search to "Industrial" misses most of the objects in "industrial" catagories.

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2008 12:36
I also found it was listed by designers, instead of items which means if you are looking for something you have to look through all of them to see what they have on offer.

Nice work by thoses who have contributed to the store.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2008 14:20
Don`t know if I`m the only one but I`d like to see the option to bring everything I`ve purchased to one screen - its difficult and time consuming to keep track of so may items as I`ve downloaded to different machines - some which have I recently lost. Imagine how difficult this will be in say a years time when I`ve purchased more. Obviously this is for backup purposes, also are we still limited to downloading each item we`ve purchased just 5 times? Pretty sure I read that somewhere, if so, what actually happens? Does the item remain marked as purchased but downloading won`t work after the fifth occasion or does it just revert back to the available to purchase state?
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2008 16:36
It would be nice if I could even log in
(see my previous post)

[b]Yuor signutare was aresed by a deslyxic mud...
BOX2D V2 HAS HELP FILES! AND A WIKI!
Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2008 20:38
Quote: "The Search engine needs a lot of work.

eg. search for "industry" and you get one result but there are many catagories called "Industrial" including some by TGC and yet they are ignored by the search!

Even changing the search to "Industrial" misses most of the objects in "industrial" catagories"

Thats because its the seller who add "search words", I could add "pink, military and tiger" to a wooden box if I want to

BUMP = Bring Up My Post
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2008 16:50
Quote: "A filter/search by type of item (character/weapon) would be beneficial."

There is a filters button where you can choose what is displayed in your current window, e.g. segments/entities.

Quote: "you might want to warn people that they have to install XmlLite"

I was under the impression this came with IE7, which is required by the homepage. If not I've attached the file which you can just drop into the same folder as the .exe

Quote: "I`d like to see the option to bring everything I`ve purchased to one screen"

If you do an empty search you'll get a list of everything in the store, you can then use the filters option to only show the ones you've purchased.

Quote: "search for "industry" and you get one result but there are many catagories called "Industrial" including some by TGC and yet they are ignored by the search"

Yeah, the search isn't clever enough to detect variations on a word, but it will handle partial matches, so a search for "Industr" should return results for both.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2008 17:41
Thanks
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2008 17:57 Edited at: 8th Sep 2008 17:59
Quote: "so a search for "Industr" should return results for both."

Paul, you must have overlooked the second part of my post. Allow me to quote myself:
Quote: "Even changing the search to "Industrial" misses most of the objects in "industrial" catagories."

Although it seems that BIG Viking Games has determined the reason for it and the problem lies with the uploaders not putting their products into the correct catagories. TGC seem to suffer the same problem.

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2008 18:08
Quote: "Even changing the search to "Industrial" misses most of the objects in "industrial" catagories."

I tested it with the TGC industrial section but couldn't find any missing. Could you give me an example of an item that is in an industrial category, but doesn't appear in a search for "Industrial"?

Note there are 4 pages of search results for "Industrial"
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2008 20:06 Edited at: 8th Sep 2008 20:27
Quote: "Note there are 4 pages of search results for "Industrial""

So, there are ... oops!

That said, it is easy to overlook the fact that there are further pages when the results from a search don't fill the page.
I see that you can change the results per page but it feels odd. The default is 40 which gives 9x4 with 4 left over. Setting it to 100 is better but still feels odd because you can scroll through the results but still not see them all. Could we just have all the results shown on a single scrollable page?

On another completely seperate note:
Would it be possible to add a 'Owned' flag to the models? That way when searching for a barrel (for example) we can see what we have available on our hard drives and what else is available to purchase.

Thanks for listening

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2008 20:54 Edited at: 9th Sep 2008 20:54
If you change the number of items to display, say from 40 to 100, will it stay at 100 everytime you log in? It always reverts back to 40 for me.

Bad Monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Works great!

Visit my website:
http://www.artistsareus.com
Bad Monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
So does this mean that content can now be made with only dbpro in mind instead of making everything compatible with FPSCreator?

Visit my website:
http://www.artistsareus.com
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2008 01:39
BM : Not yet, as we are still pretty much FPSC centric in the store, but eventually you will be able to upload content that only works for a single platform such as DBP yes. Ideally you would not be this specific as you would not intentionally limit your audience, i.e. you want to sell lots of models to lots of game authors, not just those using DBP.

"Small, smart and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom coders aren't extinct after all "
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2008 06:57
The only thing that's really bugged me a whole lot about the store is that it's sorted by artist. Sure, this means that if you know a good artist, you can immediently go to their section to find quality media. However I think a more genre based approach, similar to how the FPSC stock media is organized perhaps, would have been better (or the option for either one).

I can see how hosting them on a per-artist basis is easier though...anyways, great job, I've already purchased a number of assets

Bursar
Years of Service
User Offline
The window is a tad on the large size! It's not resizable, so takes up my entire 1920x1200 desktop.

And can we have an option to change the background colour? That much white on my screen in one go is not only hard to look at, but I reckon it'll probably give me a tan if I turn up the brightness a little!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2008 16:49
Quote: "Would it be possible to add a 'Owned' flag to the models? That way when searching for a barrel (for example) we can see what we have available on our hard drives and what else is available to purchase."

The cost is replaced with "Purchased" when you own it

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2008 00:37
The link now contains an update to the Standalone Store BETA. Download at your leisure and let us know of further improvements, thanks

"Small, smart and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom coders aren't extinct after all "
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2008 05:46
The first time I opened the new update, my firewall blocked it and it crashed (standard - this has stopped working message). The second time, after my firewall was set to allow it, it crashed again. However the third time, and each time since, have worked fine.

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2008 17:06
Quote: "The cost is replaced with "Purchased" when you own it"

But if you purchased it prior to the store going on-line then you would have no way of knowing ... unless you have a damn fine memory (I don't). So, I think allowing the user to add an 'owned' flag is still a good idea.

EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2008 22:41
Couldnt it scan your DB folders for files then add a 'owned' flag to it.

-EdzUp
Bursar
Years of Service
User Offline
The window is still not resizable...
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2008 00:22
New version of the store uploaded. Don't expect every request made to go into the first version, we are really going for basic functionality first and the nice user friendly edges to follow (along with support for more formats).

Bozzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2008 00:25
thank you for this, Lee... it's a great idea and well executed might I say!

"I'm a firm believer that if a team scores one goal, then the other has to score two to win."
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2008 21:55
Thanks Bozzy The store is very much a team effort. Find a new version which has a better media browser for FPS Creator users who want to browse their purchases outside of the FPS Creator interface. Gives you a real idea what makes up an FPS Creator model and the assets you are purchasing for all your creative works. Enjoy!

JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2008 08:17 Edited at: 13th Oct 2008 08:18
Yay, I'll check it out...

IntelCore2Duo@2.60GHz-4GB RAM-NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M-Windows Vista Business 32bit
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2008 12:10
What are the requirements for the store? I saw something somewhere that you need outlook express 7, I use firefox myself, so do I have to go install OE7, what are the requirements, the minimum specs?

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2008 17:43
You mean Internet Explorer? Outlook is an email program, yes you need IE installed and that's about it really.

Bursar
Years of Service
User Offline
I have full Outlook 2007 on both my work and home PC and it's fine. I don't know why an email client would actually be required. You have to provide your login details, but that's so it can track purchases.
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2008 17:50
I don't have any Outlook at all on my PC and the store works fine.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2008 01:24 Edited at: 17th Oct 2008 01:25
You dont need IE7, if one downloads the file xmllite.dll, and it will work fine. if you go the IE7 route you need service pack 2, as you need that for IE7 to work, if you dont want that, just download xmllite.dll, and it works.

Just had a look through the store, I thought there would be more in the store. Its nice being able to see items all in one place, its amazing seeing the differance in downloads in free items to paid items, the prices are so cheap, yet still we see items selling 20 copies, but the same sort of item if free will have like a 1000 downloads, its amazing how cheap people are.

I though TGC would have everything they have ever sold in there, I dont see the base models that come with fpsc being sold in the store, not sure if we can use that in non fpsc products, some people may want that stuff for DB or other programs and want to use it, TGC want to put everything in they have ever made in there.

Im tempted to put some of my freebies in there just to see how many downloads they get, I wonder if I can set my own name to list under, or if I have to use my forum name?

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2008 19:19
New BETA uploaded which now supports external exporters for DTS and XNA. For information about their usage, or to report issues post here or email paul@thegamecreators.com

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2008 16:27
Check it out folks, it now has a search box in the top left!

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
[Check out Jed McKenna - http://www.wisefoolpress.com/]
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2008 17:27
The latest BETA new features:

-New search box on the main window which searches as you type
-The store can now be resize/maximized
-Ability to right click on an item from a search and go to the folder of the artist that created it
-Ability for artists to upload sky boxes
-Option to convert downloads to DTS (Torque)
-Option to convert downloads to XNA compatible X File (Animations split into "Walk", "Idle" sets)
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2008 20:59
It would be nice if you could 'go to group' from the home page (New Releases, Top Downloads...) when right-clicking a thumbnail.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2008 13:30
When displaying 100 items per page, anything with a two-line description at the bottom of the page cuts off the price (see attached).

Attachments

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2008 09:09
I click the 'Purchases' button and the nice blue window pops up (), it tells me there is no media to display, I press the down arrow and I get the attached error.

Attachments

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2008 22:01
New version of the store uploaded to the game link. Direct any crash bugs to paul@thegamecreators.com who will be happy to action a fix quickly as we steadily improve the standalone version. We are almost ready to start uploading media specifically for DBP and GDK, a beta version or two away from this milestone and then we are there. You will notice in this version we have added the compatibility flags that will be used to control how media is managed and viewed for the desired platform. Feedback very welcome.

Vote SOCIAL ARCADE every day in November and help TGC make history! Check out the video and voting button at:http://apps.facebook.com/fbfundvote/contests/109/entries/3391

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 03:58:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 03:58:41