The Game Creators
The Game Creators Home Click to Login
  Hot: September NewsletterAGK V2 Alpha 6AGK V108.xx
The Game Creators
3D Chat / DirectX Exporter for Blender 2.49/2.5

Previous 40 Go to the first page of this board Return to the Forum Menu Post Message
229 Messages - Page   of 6   
Bookmark and Share Search the Forum Next 40

Kira Vakaan

User

Posted: 14th Aug 2010 03:17           | link | toggle

Hi,

My best guess is that the version of Blender that you're using is incompatible with the current state of the script. I'd investigate further, but I'm not at my dev computer right now (I'm on vacation). The script is updated all the time by other Blender devs to reflect the crucial changes made to the Blender Python API, so chances are that if the script no longer works, the problem is that the script has been updated to work with the latest Blender version. You should go to graphicall.org and look for the latest Blender build for linux.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I'll get to updating when I get back home to my triple booted machine (Ubuntu 10.04 included ) to do further tests if it's still a problem. Good luck!

Report this message as abusive
Clonkex

Posted: 14th Aug 2010 11:09           | link | toggle

I wanna thank you again for this script.....it's really great! All blender functions work with it and they all load fine into DBPro. Now I have a favour.....could you also make an importer?

Clonkex

Making games is easy.....finishing them is a different matter.

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8Ghz, Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT 512mb, 1gb ram.
Kira Vakaan

User

Posted: 22nd Aug 2010 07:53     Edited: 22nd Aug 2010 07:54     | link | toggle

@Clonkex: Sorry it took so long to respond. I'm on vacation at the moment

However, I had a bit of down time, and so I did some work on the exporter. Update!

Full Animation should now be fully functional for all objects and armature bones! About friggen time.

Anyhoo, now I'm wondering where to go from here. Perhaps I'll add support for binary .x files, or write Clonkex an importer. Is there any interest in binary .x files?

BMacZero

User

Posted: 22nd Aug 2010 16:00           | link | toggle

I'd be more interested in an importer than a binary exporter, normal .X files are just fine for DBP.

Kira Vakaan

User

Posted: 25th Aug 2010 16:26           | link | toggle

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback. I'm back in town now, so perhaps I shall start on an importer.

Clonkex

Posted: 30th Aug 2010 09:20           | link | toggle

That would be really great! Thanks.

Clonkex

gForge

User

Posted: 31st Aug 2010 00:13     Edited: 31st Aug 2010 21:26     | link | toggle

Very nice.
Has this been tested with an advanced rig such as the blanderManRig?

I know BlanderMan is for 2.49 but the tutorial was basically do-able in 2.53 with a little button hunting. Currently I get the armature heirarchy ( although I was hoping that it only exported deform bones and not constraints), the mesh object (file size is a little big, but I understand your solution to dupli-verts/uv), the skin weights(per deform bone of coarse)

I chose export selected only(armature and deform mesh) but still got my bone constraint widgets in the exported x file. No vertex information btw, but the 'Frames' were written toward the end, just before the AnimationSet.

Animation information is there but I was expecting to see the keys in matrix form. Long story short, DirectX Viewer shows the mesh in the pose that happened to be where the frame marker was when the export was invoked. Hand editing showed some promise but no movement yet.

Still...Best script ever no joke. Thanks mucho.
If you wanted the test .blend I'd be happy to hand it over.

Edit: hand editing started most of the animation sequences in DirectXViewer. Seems that there were some negative value key times which when shifted to positive all was good. Animation renames to deform bones instead of constraint bones worked for straight copy constraints were good but there isn't a rename for IK or poll targets just because of the nature of the constraint.
gForge

User

Posted: 1st Sep 2010 05:01           | link | toggle

I have to add though,
take away the advanced rigging and this script works flawlessly.
Thank you very much.
Kira Vakaan

User

Posted: 1st Sep 2010 19:21     Edited: 1st Sep 2010 19:23     | link | toggle

@gForge: I'm glad you like the script!
Quote: "but still got my bone constraint widgets in the exported x file"
Hm, the script will automatically export the children of selected objects when the Selected Only option is picked.

Quote: "Animation information is there but I was expecting to see the keys in matrix form"
Matrix form for animation keys is just a bad idea. I don't think they preserve enough information to properly describe a complete transform. Take, for example, a rotation of 180 degrees. In matrix form, that looks like a complete scale flip and as the DXViewer just interpolates transform matrices between frames, that's the way it would be interpreted. The exporter that shipped with 2.49 did this, but it's much better to separately provide each part of the transformation.

Quote: "If you wanted the test .blend I'd be happy to hand it over"
I'd be interested in taking a look if you'd like to upload it.

Quote: "Seems that there were some negative value key times which when shifted to positive all was good."
Really? Weird. I encountered that problem while developing, but I was pretty sure I fixed it. Could you post all of the settings you used? Also, I haven't tested it yet, but I think it should be possible to capture movements of individual bones that are part of IK chains using the Full Animation setting.

Edit: It occurred to me to ask which version of the script you are using, as many issues that were in the version released with Blender that can be downloaded from blender.org have been fixed. All of the new ones can be found on graphicall.org

gForge

User

Posted: 3rd Sep 2010 22:45           | link | toggle

yes, the current build in r31692 showed improvement for sure.

Test Blend attached.
or linked at

http://www.goliathforge.com/content/news/npc_news/nanoSoldier_testBlend.rar

notes in the files.

Again, thanks...The current state is working fine in my art pipeline.

Mark
Goliath Forge Online
Download: nanosoldier_testblend.rar Size: 1633669 bytesReport this message as abusive
nastasache

User

Posted: 14th Sep 2010 23:36           | link | toggle

Hi Kira,

I tested and found your script as an amazing (and maybe only one) way to export the mesh&texture&animation from Blender 2.49 to FPSC.

My question is: it is there a reverse way? I found no way to import an animation (I mean entity with animation .x file) from FPSC to the Blender keeping mesh&texture&animation. The only mesh I have as result into Blender.

Thanks.
Kira Vakaan

User

Posted: 15th Sep 2010 07:01           | link | toggle

Hi,

I'm glad the script is working for you!

I don't know of an alternate method of importing a .x file. I haven't played around with it, but I hear that the .x importer script that comes with 2.49 is pretty bad. Who knows, but I've been toying with the idea of writing a .x importer for Blender 2.5x.

Sorry I can't be of much help, but I haven't heard of another importer. Perhaps you could try converting the .x file into another format that can be read by Blender? I don't really have any conversion software that I could recommend though.

entomophobiac

User

Posted: 6th Oct 2010 08:12           | link | toggle

Saw that this isn't included in the 2.54 version, anymore. They seem to have changed around with the Python API a bit.

Any chances we'll see an upgrade?
Kira Vakaan

User

Posted: 6th Oct 2010 08:44     Edited: 6th Oct 2010 08:58     | link | toggle

What? That doesn't make sense. The script is still in the extensions svn, and was in the first version of 2.54 I got. I'm downloading a newer version now to see. Is it possible the builder just didn't include any scripts with the build? Which version are you using?

Edit: Just downloaded r32239 for 64-bit Windows and the script is still there.

entomophobiac

User

Posted: 7th Oct 2010 08:02           | link | toggle

I downloaded the 2.54 that is on the frontpage of the website. Didn't have the DX exporter packaged with it. It would still work, then?
Clonkex

Posted: 12th Oct 2010 07:30           | link | toggle

Hey guys,

@Kira

I was wondering if you could make the exporter export multiple textures for this particular model (the attached one). I exported it from Sauerbraten (a FPS game that can be used as a level modeler). I import it into Blender, export it using your script, and it doesn't export all textures. But if I use the Poly Reducer script (ships with Blender, go edit mode the Mesh menu and scripts up the top), it exports all the textures fine. The only thing is, the poly reducer sort of craps on the model.

Thanks,
Clonkex

Download: packages.zip Size: 332677 bytesReport this message as abusive
Kira Vakaan

User

Posted: 13th Oct 2010 08:46           | link | toggle

Sorry guys, I've been rather busy with classes as of late. I hope I can devote more time to this soon.

@entomophobiac: I don't understand. Which version did you download? I downloaded the 64-bit Windows version and it had everything with it. The current state of the script probably won't work with that version, but there should be a copy with it.

@Clonkex: I looked at your model, but it seems that you didn't upload the .mtl file that should've been created with the .obj file, and none of the textures were there either. Also, I've never heard of this poly reducer script. Which version of Blender are you using?

entomophobiac

User

Posted: 14th Oct 2010 08:22           | link | toggle

Seems they've done some serious renaming in the new version of the API. Suppose it's safer to just wait until they lock it down, and stick with 2.49 for a while.

A little bit annoying, but I guess it's all for the better, in the end. Hopefully, 2.6 isn't TOO far away.
Clonkex

Posted: 17th Oct 2010 09:17           | link | toggle

I'm using 2.49b and I think you poly reducer may have been left over from the last version I had (2.47). It doesn't matter anyway because I found the import obj script has the option to split the object into many objects depending on it's material (so an object with 2 mats would split into 2 objects, one for each mat).

Clonkex

P.S. When I meant you should make an importer I meant you should make one that will import most (or better, all) the FPSC models. The stock importer is pretty useless.

hookkshot

User

Posted: 22nd Oct 2010 17:50     Edited: 23rd Oct 2010 07:30     | link | toggle

i am getting an error saying "none type"

attached is the .blend file. I'm using blender 2.49b

2.0Gh AM2 Processor, 9800GT, 2Gb Ram
Download: male fighter final.blend Size: 1132192 bytesReport this message as abusive
Google Ad

Kira Vakaan

User

Posted: 25th Oct 2010 08:30     Edited: 25th Oct 2010 08:32     | link | toggle

Ah, did you used to have bones in the armature that you deleted? The script was trying to write animation data for bones that didn't exist. Anyhoo, I've added a check for that now. I've posted an update for the 2.49 version.

Also, for 2.5, I've fixed Full Animation with armatures, as I know some people were having issues with them. I recommend finding the latest Blender build you can for it, as there have been a couple recent changes to the API. Dunno what would break the script on previous versions though.

Edit: Weird, my last 2.49 update was five months ago to the day.

hookkshot

User

Posted: 25th Oct 2010 17:06           | link | toggle

Yeah i delete the pole targets and ik bones. didnt know it would effect it so much

2.0Gh AM2 Processor, 9800GT, 2Gb Ram
Kira Vakaan

User

Posted: 25th Oct 2010 19:21           | link | toggle

Well it won't anymore!

Latch

User

Posted: 26th Oct 2010 00:53           | link | toggle

@Kira Vakaan

Hello,
Your direct x work is impressive! I have a request, of sorts, specifically aimed at blender versions 2.45 to 2.49. This isn't directly related to Directx but, it is somewhat related.

I want to be able to extract a list of bones and the vertices and weights assigned to each bone. I also want to be able to extract the key timing for animation in direct x format for bones but I want the transformations (animation keys) to use the animation key types 0,1,and 2 not 4 (matrix transformation). I've done blender direct x export work before, but not for bone animation.

Can you point me in the right direction perhaps? I want to be sure to maintain the hierarchy of the bones. The goal is to use the information to build a custom animation routine.

Enjoy your day.
Kira Vakaan

User

Posted: 26th Oct 2010 02:30           | link | toggle

@Latch:
Thanks!
Hmm, I don't know how different 2.45 is from to 2.49 (I got into Blender with the advent of 2.48), but sure I could help you with the 2.49 API.

Within my 2.49 exporter, I think the following functions might be of interest:
- WriteArmatureBones()
- WriteMeshSkinWeights()
- WriteAnimationSet()

More specifically, each Armature object should have a method called getData() that will return the armature used by that object.
Armatures have a dictionary-like structure called a BonesDict (the instance is called "bones") that contains all of the bones in the armature. Each bone has a member list called "children" which contains.. well.. all of that bone's children. Each bone also has a member called "parent" which... yeah. Using those two you can easily recreate the hierarchy.

It should be noted that each Armature object (not armature, but the objects that use them) has another method called getPose(). This returns a Pose object, which has a PoseBonesDict called bones, that is full of PoseBones. The difference between these bones and the previous ones is that these contain the posed positions of the bones, and so these are the one's you'll want for animation. However, it appears that they don't have a "children" member like the others, so the others are necessary.

For the animations, you'll really want to take a look at the second half of my WriteAnimationSet function. That's where I write animation data for armature bones. You need to retrieve an Action object from the Armature object, and from there obtain the IPOs for the bones. I write my animation keys using key types 0, 1, and 2, as using 4 produces inaccurate transformations (a rotation of 180* looks like a scale flip, etc).

I hope I've been of some help and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Latch

User

Posted: 26th Oct 2010 11:41           | link | toggle

Thanks for the info! I've been going through the code and trying stuff out.

Quote: "I hope I've been of some help and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask"
You've definitely helped.

A couple of questions regarding the exporter:

1. Why does the 'Make Real' modifier have to be set? What is it doing? What is it applying to? It seems that it makes the initial pose of the mesh as influenced by the armature committed, so to speak. Am I correct in that assumption? Also, once I click that, the mesh no longer can be posed by the bones.

2. I made a cube model and extruded it a few times. I added an armature. I linked the the cube as a child to the parent armature. In pose mode, I can animate the mesh and store the ipos and play back the animation. On exporting the object, everything is in the X file except for the skin weights for the vertices.

I read earlier in this thread that an armature modifier has to be added. Why is this? Why isn't the parented and animated armature enough? If your export is picking up the IPOs of the posed bones, why isn't it picking up the related vertex groups in this scenario?

In the case of parenting an armature to an object, doesn't the object becomes a child in the armature hierarchy? Contained in a relationship to the object's mesh, are the vertex groups. Would it not be possible to add this as a check in the export?

Enjoy your day.
Kira Vakaan

User

Posted: 26th Oct 2010 17:57           | link | toggle

Let's see if I can give some answers

1. After clicking the "Make Real" button, Blender should turn the "virtual" modifier into a real one. It's strange you should say that the mesh can no longer be posed by the bones though.. I've never experienced that. The only possible explanation I have is that you may have accidentally clicked the "Apply" button on an already "real" armature modifier (the Make Real button doesn't exist on real armature modifiers, but the Apply button is in about the same place).

2. Yes, that is by design. The logic behind the current behavior of the exporter is the result of the struggle over how to determine whether or not an object is using an armature for deformation. Basically, there is no good way to determine whether or not an object is simply parented to another object (only parented and not using the armature), or using an armature to deform, when there is not an explicit armature modifier on the object (which actually makes the relationship between the objects irrelevant, as parenting is not necessary when using the modifier).
To address your idea regarding vertex groups, the groups are not necessarily indicative of an object/armature relationship. An example of which can be observed by deleting the virtual modifier off of an object that was recently parented to an armature using automatic weights. The object is still a child of the armature object, still contains intact vertex groups, and yet does not use the armature for deformation.

For these reasons the exporter requires the explicit use of an armature modifier (which can be easily created using the Make Real button on the virtual modifier).

Latch

User

Posted: 27th Oct 2010 00:04           | link | toggle

@Kira Vakaan

Thank you!

Yes, I was clicking apply after clicking make real. My fault

I noticed that there may be a small error in the export in regards to the frame transform matrices:

+ Code Snippet

There is only a double ; after the first transform matrix. The others don't have this. This may be causing some errors I'm experiencing in the animation I'm testing. It happens when the Export Armatures toggle is set.

Also, I believe the final animation lines need 3 ;;; and the divider group in between frames at the end should be ;;,

This

+ Code Snippet

Should be

+ Code Snippet

Quote: "To address your idea regarding vertex groups, the groups are not necessarily indicative of an object/armature relationship. An example of which can be observed by deleting the virtual modifier off of an object that was recently parented to an armature using automatic weights. The object is still a child of the armature object, still contains intact vertex groups, and yet does not use the armature for deformation.

For these reasons the exporter requires the explicit use of an armature modifier (which can be easily created using the Make Real button on the virtual modifier)."

I see. I suppose it's based on the modeler's intention. In the case of parenting the armature, it is not necessary to add a modifier, in the case of adding a modifier, it is not necessary to parent the armature. Parenting doesn't necessarily indicate deformation, whereas adding a modifier most likely does. Is that about right?

So, if I wanted to go the route of parenting, deliberately designing the model and the armature this way, is it possible to export the bone animations and the vertex groups and indicate that they are related (which is the main goal of the information I want to extract out of blender)?

Enjoy your day.
Kira Vakaan

User

Posted: 28th Oct 2010 06:38           | link | toggle

Wow, thanks for pointing those things out. The first is a simple typo on my part. It should indeed end in ";;" and not ",".

As for the others, I've just been doing some reading on the use of commas and semicolons from the MSDN library, and you are indeed correct. I never thought to read these documents before, as in the beginning, I studied the behavior of the old exporter along with other .x files I had. Little did I know that these other source are actually incorrect. However, I've never had any issues with the export... I tested against the DirectX X Viewer all through development as kind of a "definitive" authority on the .x format. I never had any problems.

Anyhoo, thanks for pointing that out. I shall set about updating my scripts to be technically correct.

As for your other questions, yes, that is correct. And yes, it is possible to export vertex group data from a Mesh object for the bones of an armature without an armature modifier. My exporter only needs the armature modifier to specify which Armature object is to be used for the Mesh object. The modifier doesn't contain any other useful information for the exporter. So, instead of getting the Mesh/Armature object pair in that way, you could write an exporter that simply assumes any Mesh object child of an Armature object uses that armature for deformation. Blender determines which vertex groups go with which bones only by matching their names. You should take a look at WriteMeshSkinWeights() for how to go about getting the vertex influences. That function uses a mesh's method called getVertexInfluences(VertexIndex) to return a list of lists in the format [BoneName, Weight] for that vertex. Be warned however, that data for bones that no longer exist are still returned in that list, so WriteMeshSkinWeights() does some extra checking for that.

Latch

User

Posted: 28th Oct 2010 15:53     Edited: 28th Oct 2010 15:57     | link | toggle

Quote: "That function uses a mesh's method called getVertexInfluences(VertexIndex) to return a list of lists in the format [BoneName, Weight] for that vertex. Be warned however, that data for bones that no longer exist are still returned in that list, so WriteMeshSkinWeights() does some extra checking for that."
Thanks for the help. Looking through your script is very informative.

Quote: "However, I've never had any issues with the export... I tested against the DirectX X Viewer all through development as kind of a "definitive" authority on the .x format. I never had any problems."
I would guess that the SDK app is a bit forgiving. But if you write any custom viewers or use an already written custom viewer that adheres to the strict comma, semi-colon syntax, you might run into problems. Also, running any conversion scripts/programs (like Ascii to Binary or X to 3ds etc.) might hiccup if the delimiters aren't exact.

Thanks again, I have a few ideas that I'll have to roll around in the old coconut!

Enjoy your day.
Kira Vakaan

User

Posted: 2nd Dec 2010 23:24           | link | toggle

Small update!

I've gone ahead and fixed the formatting errors that Latch pointed out. Sorry it took so long. My schedule's been rather full.

@Latch:
Quote: "But if you write any custom viewers or use an already written custom viewer that adheres to the strict comma, semi-colon syntax, you might run into problems. Also, running any conversion scripts/programs (like Ascii to Binary or X to 3ds etc.) might hiccup if the delimiters aren't exact."
It wasn't more than a week after you pointed that out that I got an email from someone who was having issues importing only models with animation into XNA. We'll see how it works now. Thanks again.

I hope your python endeavors were fruitful!

Latch

User

Posted: 3rd Dec 2010 22:33           | link | toggle

Quote: "I hope your python endeavors were fruitful!"
Thanks!
As part of the process, I wrote up a script in DarkBASIC that converts key type 4 matrix animation in a directx file to type 0,1 and 2. The script works and creates an animation file, but I haven't tested the accuracy of the conversion.

Part of the goal is to be able to take any direct x file and glean the animation from that into custom animation routines.

Enjoy your day.
MrJW

User

Posted: 2nd Feb 2011 02:43           | link | toggle

Hello everyone,

I am still having trouble exporting my animated mesh using the .x exporters listed in this thread using Blender 2.49b.

No matter which setting i use the model gets loaded and does not animate

I have tried with multiple models and even went as simple as using a cube with 1 face extruded a few times and applied the armature (using Bone Heatmap) but to no luck.

Can someone shine some light on this? I've used the default exporter settings and dang near every option in the exporter windows.

Thank you very much for your time!
PrimalBeans

User

Posted: 3rd Feb 2011 00:42           | link | toggle

Are you using an armature modifier? Or are you parenting the mesh to the armature. In blender 2.54 when you parent the mesh to the armature blender automatically creates a modifier. In blender 2.49 it doesnt. Here are some things to try. Use armature deform modifier and set up your rig. When you export make sure the "make real" button is on in the modifier toolbox (Not the apply modifier mind you....) and make sure the export animations button etc. (all the buttons that apply) are set in the exporter. Ive said this before in other threads, but give 2.54 a try. As far as i know i dont think kira has worked with 2.49 in a long time. They 2.5x series is pretty stable, and i can say as a skeptic myself, that i was glad when i made the transition. Its not very difficult to pic up the new interface and the tools are much better. Anyway see if any of this helps.

Kira Vakaan

User

Posted: 3rd Feb 2011 00:52           | link | toggle

Lol, wow, I was juuuusssstt about to say the same thing. Thanks though, hahaha.

Yes, I'm pretty sure you haven't made your armature modifier "real". The exporter only looks for real armature modifiers to determine whether or not it needs to export skin data, so without one, everything else will export (including bone animation), but without the skin data, there will be nothing to connect the bones to the skin. Anyhoo, lemme know if that solves it and if not I'll take another look.

Hmm, that 2.49 exporter is due for an update. There are a bunch of features I've included in 2.5 that aren't in 2.49.

PrimalBeans

User

Posted: 3rd Feb 2011 01:01           | link | toggle

I havent used it in forever... (I still have 2.49 backed up.) Did you ever do something for export animation speed?? IDK... lol instead of updating you could just tell them all to get 2.54... like me! lol. Actaully there are some things that i was having trouble with in 2.54 but there not related to .x... or even modeling for that matter. It had to do with some different render formats... nothing too big. It might not even be blenders fault.... lol. Maybe im just missing some codecs or something. Anywhoo... yep.

Kira Vakaan

User

Posted: 3rd Feb 2011 01:08           | link | toggle

Gah, I haven't gotten around to that yet. In fact, why don't I work on getting the 2.49 exporter up to speed tonight. I don't think I've got much else going on. We'll see.

Render formats? When does that problem come up?

PrimalBeans

User

Posted: 3rd Feb 2011 01:15           | link | toggle

I really believe its something on my end... I dont have a dvd codec on my computer because hp is a crock... lol... Its been a while since ive had a problem and i cant remember the details... so im not sure. I have to get back to my work though... lol lunch is over haha ttyl.

leo877

User

Posted: 3rd Feb 2011 04:14           | link | toggle

@ rimalbeans
i dl 2.5x, still not comfortable wtih it. i still perfer 2.49 as i got a book for it.

@ kira

cool hope you can make an update for 2.49 export.

off topic and if you got time can you check out my link
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=175834&b=30

can you give insides about what i can do in blender only.

xilith117

User

Posted: 4th Feb 2011 16:59           | link | toggle

awsome! thank a bunch!

Previous 40 Go to the first page of this board Return to the Forum Menu Post Message
229 Messages - Page   of 6   
Search the Forum Next 40

This is a multi-page thread older than 30 days.
Go to the last page to check if you can reply to it.

Forum Search

Enter a word or phrase to search our Forum for:

Thread Subject Search
Search Phrase:
Search Scope: Entire forum
Just this board

Google Forum Search
Search Phrase:

Apollo v2.02

Privacy Policy AUP Top of Page