Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / In Spaaaaaace (NASA)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2012 04:54 Edited at: 24th Jul 2012 04:54
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/07/23/portal-2s-wheatley-is-headed-to-space-courtesy-of-anonymous-nasa-engineer/

Quote: " A post on the Portal 2 blog spotted by VG247 mentions that an anonymous NASA tech managed to burn the tiny picture of Wheatley space core onto one of the craft’s panels. “Please note that when we mentioned an “anonymous tech at NASA” we weren’t kidding: NASA in no way officially endorses secretly laser-engraving characters from Portal onto their spacecraft,” say Valve."

b][/b]D

Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2012 05:52
I read about that the other day.
I was wondering why they put Wheatley instead of the Space Sphere on there. He was my favorite...

http://www.3dartistonline.com/user/Travis%20Gatlin
You can find my latest work here. Please comment on my work and tell me what you think!
Isocadia
Years of Service
User Offline
But wheatley never said that, right?
Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
I copy and pasted the quote, but in the article it had a strikethrough over "wheatley". The author corrected it, he meant to say space sphere.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2012 12:21
Thats cool! I love Portal 2 robots!

Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2012 19:30
Ah, good. I would give anything to see an actual photo of that part in space, just for the heck of it. lol Maybe, one of astronauts could bring a scale model of the Space Core on the ship when they take off, then release it into space!

You can find my latest work here. Please comment on my work and tell me what you think!
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Maybe this is a marketing scheme. The space films don't look real.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2012 02:35
You have a bad view of reality, Pincho, as has been proven publicly and somewhat humiliatingly several times.
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2012 09:13
Quote: "The space films don't look real."

You mean movies like Total Recall or Star Wars?

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2012 11:09
Quote: "Maybe this is a marketing scheme. The space films don't look real."
I disagree!

Quote: "You have a bad view of reality, Pincho, as has been proven publicly and somewhat humiliatingly several times. "
I agree!
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2012 14:34 Edited at: 25th Jul 2012 14:36
Quote: "You have a bad view of reality, Pincho, as has been proven publicly and somewhat humiliatingly several times."

Well they were edited in Photoshop, so that's probably why they don't look real.
Quote: "
You mean movies like Total Recall or Star Wars?"

These...
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/07/23/portal-2s-wheatley-is-headed-to-space-courtesy-of-anonymous-nasa-engineer/

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2012 14:52
It's because they don't have your reverse-matter, right?

We need an Un-Earth right on top of the real one for it to legit?
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2012 14:56 Edited at: 25th Jul 2012 15:02
Lots of reasons they don't look real. Fake blurring, fake colour, absolute contrast from green to black, and fake depth of field, and some of the land has progressive steps in it like a normal map. But they are all things that you can do in Photoshop, so that must be it. But games, and films have viral campaigns. I remember the Planet Of The Apes campaign made it onto a lot of science sites. If a company could make a game video that looked so real that everyone accepted it as real, that sells games.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2012 15:08
But that's not Valve's style, they do't do viral campaigns, they just release a couple of trailers followed by an amazing game.

Also Pincho:

Just...no-one on this forum takes you seriously...why bother?
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2012 15:27 Edited at: 25th Jul 2012 15:28
It says on the site it was Photoshopped. So that part is true. So your joke doesn't work.

BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2012 15:44
CoffeeGrunt, stop trolling Pincho.
Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Well they were edited in Photoshop"
Quote: "It says on the site it was Photoshopped."

where...?

Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2012 22:53
Quote: "Lots of reasons they don't look real. Fake blurring, fake colour, absolute contrast from green to black, and fake depth of field, and some of the land has progressive steps in it like a normal map. But they are all things that you can do in Photoshop, so that must be it. But games, and films have viral campaigns. I remember the Planet Of The Apes campaign made it onto a lot of science sites. If a company could make a game video that looked so real that everyone accepted it as real, that sells games."

Are you a space engineer? No? Then you really have no place judging what's real and what's not. I mean, how can you tell between fake and real blur? Also, the normal map effect can be achieved in real life and it's very well used. It's called the "Shrinkwrap effect" that gives an identical look to a normal mapped surface. I do photoshops all the time. It's real.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2012 23:40 Edited at: 25th Jul 2012 23:41
Quote: "where...?"

Here...
http://vimeo.com/45878034

Quote: "Are you a space engineer? No? Then you really have no place judging what's real and what's not. I mean, how can you tell between fake and real blur?"

Well I've seen the real videos now, and they don't look like the edited one, they look real.

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2012 00:27 Edited at: 26th Jul 2012 00:29
Um, just so you know that video is defiantly not fake...

Here is Last year's one;

As for what there saying about the image's passing through Photoshop, there where most likely done so for pre-production work before bringing them into Sony Vegas. By pre-production i mean basic (if any) colour correction, rescaling of images and general alignment. Your taking it completely out of context.

Portfolio; Arthiccup.com
Lazerus Reborn on Polycount and a few other places.
Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2012 00:31 Edited at: 26th Jul 2012 00:31
Oh... so this:

was referring to the ISS? Yeah, maybe the ISS is a scam. You can find the images from which everyone compiles videos here:
http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/

But really, what does that have to do with the panels?

[edit]
oh it was on the end of the page. But yeah, that's just kind of a cool thing to tack on to an article, not the point of it

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2012 00:33 Edited at: 26th Jul 2012 00:34
The videos have nothing to do with panels. The author simply stumbled upon it during his research. The panels will be on a completely different craft and the video is not related to the story in anyway other than it being in space. Where the panel will end up eventually.

whoops' Fuzzy ninja edited aha.

Portfolio; Arthiccup.com
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2012 01:14 Edited at: 26th Jul 2012 01:22
Quote: "was referring to the ISS?"

Well they were Photoshopped so I was right, end of story. Photoshopped isn't realistic. I've seen the real videos, and all the faults that I pointed out, aren't in the real videos. I thought they were fake because of some colour banding etc, but the colour banding was due to increased contrast. The green in the real videos fades to red, but in the Photoshopped version is just green, and sharp.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2012 01:43
It's all fake cause reality isn't real. Didn't anyone watch that documentary? I believe it was called the Matrix or something.

"You're not going crazy. You're going sane in a crazy world!" ~Tick
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2012 02:00
On the topic of the ISS, I watched it fly over a couple of mornings ago. It was pretty cool. Unfortunately it was out of reach of my 300mm cannon so it's still up there somewhere.

I've seen that time lapse video before, and I think it's amazing.

Support a charitable indie game project!
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2012 03:55
It's funny how I got asked to stop trolling, so I wandered off to work, and came back to find Pincho trolling again...
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2012 04:54
Yah imma agree all the way with you coffeegrunt.
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2012 06:01 Edited at: 26th Jul 2012 06:26
Quote: "It's funny how I got asked to stop trolling, so I wandered off to work, and came back to find Pincho trolling again... "

Where is he trolling? Just because he is being cynical/sceptical, doesn't mean he is trolling.

How is this:
Quote: "You have a bad view of reality, Pincho, as has been proven publicly and somewhat humiliatingly several times. "

An appropriate response to this?:

He's just being sceptical. Its okay for you to be sceptical about his ideas, but he can't be sceptical about something on the internet?

Don't you see the double standard there? You can disagree with him, I disagree with him. But there is no reason to launch into a personal attack just because you disagree with someone.
And you know what? Maybe the man actually has a point. All you have to go on that this thing is real is a picture and this article.

Personally I don't think the picture is fake. Why would Valve go to the effort of advertising a game that's a year old?
As for the video, its pretty real to me. Out of this world definitely, so it looks unreal, but that's because it literally is out of this world.
DeadTomGC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2012 06:17
Hmmm, I do find it odd that in the video everything is in focus (or close to in focus) at the same time. Those videos very well could be modified if not completely fake.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 26th Jul 2012 06:21
Pincho doesn't deserve the flak that was given to him (and yes, I'm well aware that I was a major "flakker" in his thread, I feel bad about that ), and I'm really tired of seeing people continue to poke fun of him.

He said one thing in this thread (and I see how one can think it was shopped and faked) and immediately people started in on him again. Don't we all have more respect for each other than that?

Just stop and think - would YOU appreciate it if someone continued to bring it up after you had dropped it? I somehow don't think so.

-Yodaman Jer

Not contributing much of anything useful to the forums since September of 2007.
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2012 06:21
Quote: "Hmmm, I do find it odd that in the video everything is in focus (or close to in focus) at the same time. Those videos very well could be modified if not completely fake."

It says in the video description that the footage (a series of photographs taken from the ISS) were touched up a little in Photoshop, so you are probably right.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2012 08:03
Imma agree with BiggAdd now on the trolling thing.
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2012 09:49 Edited at: 26th Jul 2012 09:49
And now that anonimous engineer did ewj! Nasa is anxious!!!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2012 13:27 Edited at: 26th Jul 2012 13:37
All I meant was that I have used NASA images myself in games, and Photoshopped them. Nebula, and things like that look better enhanced. I saw images that looked like game images, with missing details in the black. You enhance the black because it has light in it, but lose colour information at the same time. Now this was next to a Valve sort of advert. The valve picture looked like it had a plastic wrap photoshop filter applied. Everyone is waiting for Portal 3, so I figured that the colour enhancements were to make a realistic 3D model (which isn't that hard to make to be honest). The 3D model would be there to make people think that it is real. Then later you add something to it like a piece of junk floating through space, and a Portal logo on it. It would be a good advert for Portal 3.

But then through a search, I found that it was Photoshopped. So that explains why it was so enhanced. I no longer need the Portal 3 explanation.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2012 14:14
Wait... With that second image you can tell this is definitely photoshopped. The reflections on both the yellow thing and the grayish plastic thing are exactly the same in both images.
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2012 14:27
Quote: "But then through a search, I found that it was Photoshopped. So that explains why it was so enhanced. I no longer need the Portal 3 explanation."

Post your sources, otherwise this is just an empty statement.
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2012 17:04
The second one is photoshopped, yes.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2012 17:23 Edited at: 26th Jul 2012 17:23
Quote: "Post your sources, otherwise this is just an empty statement. "

I already posted the source.. here...

http://vimeo.com/45878034

Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2012 18:22
So... You're saying that real NASA footage that has slight color enhancements is fake?
That's like saying if you take a picture of yourself with Instagram and add a filter, it's a fake picture of you.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2012 18:56 Edited at: 26th Jul 2012 19:02
Quote: "So... You're saying that real NASA footage that has slight color enhancements is fake?
That's like saying if you take a picture of yourself with Instagram and add a filter, it's a fake picture of you."

You are exaggerating my initial post...If it was a 3D model it would be fake. But I posted that it had Photoshop enhancements... and in the end it did.

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2012 00:31 Edited at: 27th Jul 2012 00:36
I'm about to bring out the popcorn again. Throwing away the fact that the images, video ect are all indeed real, let's roll with "it's 3d"

To create the advanced weather systems, intricate lightning, aura's, lighting, light pollution, star's, physical satellite, refractions, reflections, light emission's and i really could go on here...

To do all that in 3D would take a astronomical (pun intended) amount of resources, time and effort for no reason at all. The video will not make any profit and if a artist did create it, he would take full credit for it and have it as a centre piece for there portfolio. Otherwise there is no motive what so ever for creating a fake video.

This is not a conspiracy and your not backing up your views with evidence. So the same advice from the last thread, take a step back and look at this from our perspective. Your overlooking all the evidence and fact's just because you can't accept that it's real.

As for what your most likly basing this, "space is photoshopped" on is when the multiple images of a single area in space are taken, the colours are interpreted through distance, radiation and shift. So of course the images of space aren't always 100% on, we simply don't have the technology to produce it at the true colour level.

This however does not apply to the film. As you will notice the star space is black and white. There is no interpretation of colour there. It is simply as it is. The same with the earth. The images may have passed through photoshop for pre-production but that dosnt mean they changed them.

Before you next disagree, bring clear evidence that say's otherwise and please do not link to the video. That is not backing up your statement.

It's like me saying the moon is indeed made of cheese. I mean it look's like cheese and I've dealt with my fair share of cheese.

An here is some evidence further backing up the video as legit.

Portfolio; Arthiccup.com
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2012 00:36
Quote: "The second one is photoshopped, yes."
That means the first one could be too.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2012 00:51 Edited at: 27th Jul 2012 01:00
Quote: "To create the advanced weather systems, intricate lightning, aura's, lighting, light pollution, star's, physical satellite, refractions, reflections, light emission's and i really could go on here..."

It would take me about a day maybe 2 to get it looking exactly like the video. I would just use the ISS images themselves as textures.

Quote: "This however does not apply to the film. As you will notice the star space is black and white. There is no interpretation of colour there. It is simply as it is. The same with the earth. The images may have passed through photoshop for pre-production but that dosnt mean they changed them."

Yes, I have seen the un-edited videos, they are changed a lot. The un-edited videos are on the ISS site.

Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2012 00:58 Edited at: 27th Jul 2012 01:00
This is about the best I could make earth in one day.

I mean I'm not the best artist in the world but it takes my quad core processor long enough to render that, and I'm very sure I couldn't handle an animated Aurora Boralis, at all. Especially with the time limit of one day. Also, I got the maps from NASA so y'know, it's still technically theirs, I just did the rendering things.
The Earth is a lot more complicated than you think.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2012 01:01 Edited at: 27th Jul 2012 01:07
Well you only see half of it close up, so you don't need to worry about perfect sphere wrapping. The halos are very messed up, so they could be anything. The Aurora could probably be done with a bendy plain, and alpha. The actual station always stays flat so that can be a plain.

Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2012 01:06 Edited at: 27th Jul 2012 01:09
Actually, this is an animation. I was going to make this into a 24 hour sun cycle, but I didn't because it would take 86,000 frames at 1FPS. I decided to skip out on that. So the wrapping is completely perfect.
Edit:
No, for the Aurora, that would look like a video game if you did that. You would have to make it into a volume and use textures to control it from there. Getting an accurate Aurora look would take much more than it sounds.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2012 01:07 Edited at: 27th Jul 2012 01:11
Quote: "So the wrapping is completely perfect."

The ISS you only see half the Earth. It spins, but you just animate the texture. The ISS photo's are single frames. Easy to texture with. The only reason to bother with this is to have an advert float on for Portal 3.

Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2012 01:10
I'm not going to argue any further. This is futile.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'm not going to argue any further. This is futile."

It sure is.

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2012 02:01 Edited at: 27th Jul 2012 02:08
*ninja edit - it's a little late.

To point out;

Quote: "The halos are very messed up, so they could be anything. The Aurora could probably be done with a bendy plain, and alpha. The actual station always stays flat so that can be a plain."

No, just no. Particle effects are not made with bendy planes an alpha. To try and simplify it to that level is beyond stupid.

Quote: "The ISS you only see half the Earth. It spins, but you just animate the texture. The ISS photo's are single frames. Easy to texture with."

So the ISS photo's are now back to being legit.
--
You have no idea what you are talking about an when you do talk, it's out of your nether regions. I would love to see you produce, in 2 days, a video of that calibre.

No, really.

Do it or be quite.

Portfolio; Arthiccup.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 07:22:41
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 07:22:41