Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / EditBox Issue - AGK v2 on Android Lollipop

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2015 21:10
EditBoxes have for a very long time been a little sketchy, but I have recently brought a Samsung S6 running Android Lollipop, and it would appear the EditBoxes now hardly work at all with this version...

You cannot type anything more than 1 character at a time. If say I type 'Dan' it will appear in my suggestions window, but nothing appears in the EditBox. Selecting 'Dan' from the suggestions window also does nothing...

The only way you can get anything in the EditBox is by tapping only 1 character, and then selecting it in the suggestions window. But this also adds a space. It would appear there is an issue with the EditBox accepting multiple characters. This is using the stock keyboard (I know Swype has always been an issue)...

Paul, I know a few critical bugs crept in to v2.0.12, but I think this could also do with some attention ...

Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2015 00:45
I first highlighted this particular bug almost three years ago. It's the same issue as using an alt-keyboard such as Swype. The keyboard has some kind of buffer for entire words, except AppGameKit can only read a single character at a time.

I found an article about the same issue (and a fix) here, but Paul said he doesn't know how to fix it (see this thread).

Not sure where we can go from here as Paul is the only AppGameKit developer as far as I can tell. Perhaps the only way is to switch to Tier2 and try to use the solution above?

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Uzmadesign
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2015 00:50
I had a look at the Android input methods to see if I could solve this once and for all and managed to get a hidden Android edit box to accept input and then pass it on to AGK. This should allow all third party input methods that are supported by Java apps to be used with AppGameKit input commands. It'll be in 2.0.13.
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2015 19:09
Paul, thank you so much for taking a look at this so quickly! I can confirm the EditBoxes now work on Android Lollipop... For the most part There is still a small issue where you cannot delete individual characters, the only way to delete what you have typed is to do a long press which will delete the entire string... If you get a chance, it would be great if you could take a look at this... Definitely a step closer though, and hopefully we can soon put this one to bed thanks...

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2015 19:19
Quote: "There is still a small issue where you cannot delete individual characters"

Couldn't replicate the problem on Android 5.1, portrait or landscape. 4.4.4, 4.0.4, and 2.3.3 also seem to work.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2015 20:11
@paul
i wish you replace this editbox with a own optional agk screen keyboard.
i have no trust in the android 2-5 version and agk combination.
at some os versions the input seems to work, other not, belongs also the device manufacturer.

AGK 108 (B)19 + AppGameKit V2 Beta .. : Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit : AMD Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2015 20:42
Quote: "Couldn't replicate the problem on Android 5.1, portrait or landscape. 4.4.4, 4.0.4, and 2.3.3 also seem to work."

Ok, thats good news, at least its not a widespread issue I am running on 5.0.2, on a Samsung S6... Like Marcus says, its abit hit and miss, so perhaps this is due to the device and/or OS version? I'll try a few other devices too...

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2015 23:09
Paul! I freakin LOVE you! Just this one fix has opened up SO much potential for Android development. THANK YOU!

<- Well earned!

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Uzmadesign

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 09:23:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 09:23:56