Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Community Competition / Power-Pong: Pong on Steroids!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2009 03:26
So here's my entry. It's called Power-Pong, and it's a fast-paced pong remake with power-ups, several difficulty modes, AI, and more.

Current features include:

-Computer AI
-Multiple "Insanity" Levels: Calm, Mild, Crazy, Impossible
-Items/Power-ups: Ball Speed Up, Ball Speed Down, Bonus Star
-Particle System
-Complete, working menu system with GUI, including buttons, drop-down boxes, text, and dialog boxes
-Pretty nice (I think) graphics
-Multiple game modes: Timed, and Lives

Features I hope to add include:

-Achievements (i.e. if you play a certain number of games you unlock a secret of some sort)
-Secret unlockable cheats
-More items

I'll post a demo tomorrow.

Thank you.
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2009 03:33 Edited at: 26th Mar 2009 03:33
Wow, nice job man. looks pro. PRO WORK!

we play like pros here.

EDIT: oh, some crit, I would move the text at the top of the screen down a tad. It doesnt seem right crunched up there at the top. If its really important info, you should give it some space.

I wish I had access to board 17.
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2009 04:21
Thanks!

Quote: "EDIT: oh, some crit, I would move the text at the top of the screen down a tad. It doesnt seem right crunched up there at the top. If its really important info, you should give it some space."

Will do.

Thank you.
Dragon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2009 08:08
Perhaps instead of boring text, you could have some sort of other way to display lives, perhaps health bars?

I'll have a go at the demo your about to release tomorrow ^-^

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2009 12:24
Quote: "Perhaps instead of boring text, you could have some sort of other way to display lives, perhaps health bars?"

Nice idea! I'll do that (hopefully) before I release a demo today.

Thank you.
Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2009 20:50
I gotta say, it looks a lot nicer than a version of pong I made a while ago =)

Looking forward to the demo, this looks like a pretty well polished game already

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 00:40
Demo!

The demo includes two gameplay modes: lives, and timed, which are explained in the game instructions. It includes three different items: ball speed up, ball speed down, and bonus star. These are also explained in the instructions. I hope to add (many) more items before I submit this entry. The end-of-game "You win!" screen is bugged right now, it's still in progress. If you notice any other problems or have any other suggestions please post them. Oh, and the demo has no sound.

[Download]

Thank you.
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
I love it! Especially being able to wrap your paddle around the sides of the screen!

Add in a bunch more powerups, and don't forget the classic: reverse controls

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 01:16 Edited at: 27th Mar 2009 03:33
Quote: "I love it! Especially being able to wrap your paddle around the sides of the screen!"

Thanks! Glad you liked it.

Quote: "Add in a bunch more powerups, and don't forget the classic: reverse controls"

Yep, I've been thinking of a bunch for the last couple of days; reversed controls was one of the first that came to mind.

Anyways, here's some other ideas for some powerups and items I'm thinking of adding; I'd like to get a little feedback on whether or not you guys think they'd be a decent addition before I add them:

-Portals: Two portals move around the screen, bouncing off walls. When a ball goes into one portal it comes out of the other.

-Decrease Paddle Distance: Moves the paddles closer together by a small amount. I was thinking of saving something like this for a sudden death mode, but if you guys think it fit better as an item I wanna hear it.

-Gravity: Temporarily adds gravity to the ball.

-Dizzy Ball: Temporarily makes the ball move in a wavey up-and-down motion.

-Black Hole: This would attract the ball towards a certain point on the screen, altering it's path.

-Rockets: These would randomly shoot out of the top of screen towards the sides, and would cause you to lose points/a life if they hit your paddle.

And feedback on these would be appreciated.

I'm also working on an achievements system right now, hopefully you'll get a glimpse of it in the next demo.

EDIT:

Woohoo! Achievements are functioning now, now I'm just trying to think of some way to reward the player for unlocking achievements--possibly unlockable cheats.

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 03:41
Just a heads up, I went to video settings and was pleasantly surprised that it auto detected my 1440 X 900 screen. However, when I tried to play the game, a sprite couldnt be found or something on 1314, I think. I reopened it and didnt bother with the display, and I didnt get any problems

As for gameplay itself, hmm. It seems like pong to me
I think you should add more than one ball, balls that if you hit them they freeze you in place for a few seconds. Thats how my pong game was that I made awhile ago was. Sadly, It was lost to the new computer.

-multiple bals
-freeze balls
-in field obstacles that could possibly be controlled by players
-Fake balls, where when the ball picked up the power up, tuns of balls would come in from off screen and bounce around everywhere, but they dont count against you if you dont paddle em. You just need to keep your eye on the original ball

I wish I had access to board 17.
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 04:19
Quote: "Just a heads up, I went to video settings and was pleasantly surprised that it auto detected my 1440 X 900 screen. However, when I tried to play the game, a sprite couldnt be found or something on 1314, I think. I reopened it and didnt bother with the display, and I didnt get any problems"

Ahh, ya, I shoulda mentioned that setting the display resolution doesn't work yet, however it should be functioning soon.
Quote: "
As for gameplay itself, hmm. It seems like pong to me
I think you should add more than one ball, balls that if you hit them they freeze you in place for a few seconds. Thats how my pong game was that I made awhile ago was. Sadly, It was lost to the new computer.

-multiple bals
-freeze balls
-in field obstacles that could possibly be controlled by players
-Fake balls, where when the ball picked up the power up, tuns of balls would come in from off screen and bounce around everywhere, but they dont count against you if you dont paddle em. You just need to keep your eye on the original ball"

Thanks, I'll consider those ideas.

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2009 03:41 Edited at: 28th Mar 2009 03:46
Update!

This update features:

-Several achievements, though I won't reveal what they are.
-A new item: reversed controls.
-Changing the display resolution in the video settings works now.
-A new "sudden death" mode which the game goes into if the score is tied at the end of a 'Timed' game. In sudden death mode each player has one life and the paddles slowly move towards each other.
-Music from here and some sound effects from here.

The game is pretty much in its final stages now. I just need to add a couple more items and achievements, and maybe some more sound effects, and then it'll be complete. Hopefully I can get this done in the next day or two, so I can start on a second entry.

Enjoy!

[Download]

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
"Error: Could not load image BallSpeedUp.png"

I had to copy the image from the first demo to get it running. Reverse controls is great, but this game would be awesome with even more items flying around the screen!

A few things:
-None of the windows were centered in the screen (I'm running 1024*768)
-Most of the text didn't fit in the buttons
-The choice for 5 lives was over the start button, so when I selected that it automatically started the game
-The AI is way too good! I don't think I won a single game

Quote: "Several achievements, though I won't reveal what they are."

I didn't unlock a single one, or see any way to know how to unlock them/see what I've already achieved

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2009 20:06 Edited at: 28th Mar 2009 20:14
Quote: ""Error: Could not load image BallSpeedUp.png" "

Ahhh! Sorry, I was almost sure I had included all the images. I'll be sure to test it next time.

Quote: "-None of the windows were centered in the screen (I'm running 1024*768)
-Most of the text didn't fit in the buttons
-The choice for 5 lives was over the start button, so when I selected that it automatically started the game"

Those things are due to me trying to make it compatible with all screen resolutions, however I think I've fixed them all now, so I'll release an update tonight.

Quote: "-The AI is way too good! I don't think I won a single game"

That's weird; I've actually managed to beat it several times on Crazy mode, and once on Impossible, but of course games are always easiest for the ones developing them, so I'll try to make a better difficulty curve.

Quote: "I didn't unlock a single one, or see any way to know how to unlock them/see what I've already achieved"

Ya, I noticed there's no 'Achievements' option in the main menu shortly after uploading the demo, however I've added one which should be in the next demo.

Thanks for providing a lot of feedback, though. That's very helpful.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2009 21:23
Very cool. Though the controls feel weird to me, but maybe I just needed to get used to them.

darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Pretty cool game however this being a compo I figured you would make something different then like pong.

Everyone has seen pong before.
This is a compo were looking for something new.

Vee
geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2009 20:23
last i remember Vee, Josh Garland Kolp try72y person, you failed in epic fashon to write pong, you also phailed in epic fashon to write a pacman clone, so don't go belitteling this fellows rather nice looking and entertaining game just because you think pong / breakout games are beneath you. they obviously aint.

incidently, the timingin your own game is more erratic than a breakdancing epileptic monkey.

RESPEK!!!.

Ohd Chinese Ploverb say : Wise Eskimo, not eat yerrow snow.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 07:10:48
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 07:10:48