Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Maindric RPG:: A continous WIP, Full Open Source*, project.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2009 22:24 Edited at: 12th May 2009 06:42

Made by Maindric

**Mission Statement**
I am working on this project to give a solid backbone for new users to make their own RPG with just editing this project. I am hoping that other people will contribute with this project so I am not the only one working on it. It is my way to repay the community for helping me out. Also, if you do help out on this project, I'll put you in the credits. (Lol, I love that statement, sorry, had to say it.) But all do seriousness, with some minor editing, I am sure that anyone can put some of their custom attributes to this project, with the least amount of commercial third party dll's or programs (only one so far, and it is cheap.).

**About the 'TO DO' list.**
I am breaking apart an RPG into it's basic components to work on them. I am trying to break it down to the point that I can get done with a whole section in within a week. I am ahead of schedule as of now, so expect a little extra a little sooner.

- Done.
- Working on it.
- Not started yet.

**My Current 'TO DO' List:**
Allow object loading to scenes, such as buildings.
Allow .x terrain loading.
Load up enemies.
GUI and Main Menu

**My finished sections from my 'TO DO' list**
Basic movement

.rar attached.

A portal:

**Controls**
wasd : Up, Right, Down, Right respectively.
E : Jump

*-
**Note**
If you wish to edit the source and let it run, you must own ETXYZ and place the 'LoadETXYZMap.DBA' file into the folder, then edit. My sincerest apologies, if I could include it, I would. You can get Extended Terrain XYZ here for 15.99€, it includes the file you need, and will allow you to make some amazing maps with ease. It just might need a few tutorials which I may one day work on to help Hurricane Eye for making such a fabulous product.

**Credits**

Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2009 22:24 Edited at: 4th May 2009 22:25
********Bugs********

**Known bugs:**
You sometimes slide randomly.

**Fixed bugs**
If you try to vigorously to climb a cliff, you will fall through.
Slope is messing up again.
There are a few spots on the cliff if you jump there, you fall through.
If you jump on a cliff, you go through it.
If you jump on the low spot of the map, you fall through.
Slope sliding slowly up hill.
Y-Axis collision not working on terrain.

wendelcandance
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2009 01:10
Very cool idea. What kind of battle system are you planning to incorporate into it?
Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2009 02:13 Edited at: 5th May 2009 05:18
Real time.

I want to make the game feel as free form as Oblivion (as in movement, go anywhere, anytime.) with the game play of Fable (run around, and kill enemies in real time in 3rd person.), if you know what I am talking about.

I am going to try and make this as much of a community based project as possible, but I am willing to do this whole thing on my own. I am not asking people to stop what they are doing to work on this, more over get people see that this could help newcomers in their decent into game making by a basic skeleton and pitch in a little bit of code here and there, fix a bug if they know what is wrong and such. I see this as me paying back to the community that helped me when I needed help, and fine tuning my programming a bit.

Progress on the second map:

No portals yet, and I will not upload till I get them to work, this is a SS in DBPro, after I came from the first map.

**Edit**
PORTALS WORK! And easy to implement (if you have ETXYZ). Just make the file, copy it to the folder, make a .dat file of the same name (must be exact, case sensitive) and the structure of it is this:

DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2009 08:11 Edited at: 5th May 2009 08:16
so pretty much you are making a game by yourself and having people help you and you also help them by making it open source? i like the idea...are you using DBpro?

i made a map for this but i am having some export troubles and it might be a while till fixed...here are some screens though.

http://img11.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=terrain1.png

i was thinking one side can be a zone entrance and the other two spots as exits to other zones...know what i mean?

Come see the WIP!

Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2009 14:22 Edited at: 5th May 2009 14:22
Quote: "so pretty much you are making a game by yourself and having people help you and you also help them by making it open source?"

Pretty much. I am trying to get the basic mechanics in a game made so that a use can just make a basis with this game and be able to make a full game easily with a little bit of editing. The point of it is to get that person then to edit the code to make it unique, so they learn to program as they do it. Like a started kit.

Quote: " made a map for this but i am having some export troubles and it might be a while till fixed...here are some screens though. "

If you export as a height map, I can put it in. If you have any custom textures you would like to put in it (I can add a stone one for the parts with stone easily), feel free to include them. Just make sure there is no copyright on them. I could use this as a town map by the looks of it..

DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2009 16:40
ok, try this... the terrain is in 3 parts as a .x format with a supertexture for each one though i have not tested it in DB...let me know how it goes.

Come see the WIP!

Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2009 23:21
I do not see a download...

DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 01:39
ahahaha, i posted in a rush and later in the day i realized i forgot to upload it.

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 03:07 Edited at: 10th May 2009 22:06
Lol, no problem, I will work on it now.

As for now, gaze in the awesomeness of my modeling skills! *cough* I wish *cough*. Here is what I have been working on all day:

Whatcha think?

'Tis the hero!

Attachments

castek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 06:28
Looks nice lol! You might want to make the main sphere a little higher poly

"The Beginning is the end."
Windows Vista Ultimate SP1
INTEL PENTIUM DUAL E2200 2.2 GHz 4 Gb RAM GeForce 9600 512 mb
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 16:01 Edited at: 11th May 2009 21:23
Hi Maindric,

Do you have a GUI planned? I've been developing one that uses FREE DLL's: IanM's Matrix1 Utils, Thomas Cheah's DBMXL, Barnski's LUA Scripting Plugins. I'm sure you could find these Plugins useful in your RPG. I'm also working to make the GUI portable for use in other projects.

Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2009 00:03 Edited at: 7th May 2009 00:07
I have not yet.

I was not planning on working on GUI for a little while. I want to first get this model fixed up, animated and imported to the project. After that, I was gonna give him a sword, and start on the combat system. I was honestly planning on working on the gui, or a simple variation of one after that.

I will look up those plug ins, I already have IanM's, but I am unaware of a few of those, I will look them up now, thanks for letting my know about those.

As for your GUI, are you making those available to the community free? If so, I may consider using it, I just need to reach that stage first.

ANY GOOD MODELERS OUT THERE!?

If so, can you help me on the model? I am not that great at modeling (nor texturing), and if you wish, can you help me out with this model? Attached is a .rar with the .x file and .dds texture.

Yes, I realize it is high poly for the detail, and the hands look messy. That is why I need help, the hands are not that great, and animating them to hold a sword will not work out well...

Attachments

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2009 03:21 Edited at: 7th May 2009 03:22
How inconsiderate of me to forget the links: DBXML, New Lua5.1 Plugin - Free Scripting Pack for DBPro!

These Plug-ins are extremely powerful and boost productivity 10 fold!

Quote: "As for your GUI, are you making those available to the community free?"
Short Answer: Yes.

Long Answer: At one time I desired to make my entire MMORPG Server and Client Open Source. However, use of Commercial Plugins and Network Securities placed heavy restrictions on that. So I'm making specific modules available that don't have any restrictions available. The GUI is one of those modules. I will not be advertising these modules publicly, but, only offering them for use in other open source projects.

If you anticipate the game engine having any type of modern day point n' click interface for Inventory, Character Creation, Gear Selection, Dialog, Game World Editors, than a GUI should be very high on the list of things to do.

GUIs are fun to create but extremely time consuming. Thus, I highly recommend you pick up a Free GUI already developed such as FREE Windows GUI DLL for DarkBASIC Pro.

MAUI is written in DBPro and its source can be easily modified and expanded upon. MAUI uses only the 3 Free Plug-in modules mentioned, however, by design requires XML Import/Export and scripted Behaviors, Transitions, Styles, and Themes. Its designed with `Game` Menus in mind with support for Animation and Game Keyboard/Mouse I/O.

Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2009 03:35
Thanks for the links TechLord. Once I get done with said objects (More customizable maps, combat, and changeable equipment.), I will get to work implementing your gui.

Downloading DLL's now.

DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2009 03:38
tried the terrain yet?

Come see the WIP!

Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2009 03:42 Edited at: 7th May 2009 03:46
I have decided instead of converting it, to enable .x terrain importing, so I can just use the .x file directly. It should be up and running soon. Sorry it tis not in yet, it will be soon.

@TechLord

Can you please upload the 'Windows GUI DLL' for me? For some reason, I cannot get to the download page.. If you can, that would be great.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2009 03:48 Edited at: 7th May 2009 03:49
About Hero.

Why even create Hero, when you can use one of the FREE FPSC Characters? Developing a decent Character Animation Management system is something I neglected to do in several past RPG failures. Using one of the FPSC Models will give you something with bones and animation to play with. You may be able to even find free sword swinging animations for it.

I'm weak on modelling too and I'm using free 3D, 2D, Audio for placeholders and anything else free I can put to use. Since my Modular Entity Construction Set (MECS) system assembles all game Entities from 3D Parts & Connectors within the Client Engine, I forced myself into a situation where I have to model custom parts. My solution, take free models/textures and dissect them.

I'm a lazy programmer and lazier artist. If you dont have to Model it, don't! Use every freely available asset you can find to move forward, stay motivated, get'r done.

DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2009 03:53
And if you have DarkMatter that can work to.

Come see the WIP!

Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2009 03:54
I know, but there are some animations I cannot do with certain models, and there are almost no sword based animations.

I am going to try and work with two friends of mine (One is a highly skills artist, she drew the 'hero' in about 4 minutes, and the other is a game designing potentialist, but he is just to lazy to do anything. When I make him work on something, if he does not get immediate results, he stops, I am trying to get him away from that...), and I want do to some custom animations. I am going to try and get my artist friend to draw some key parts in the animations, and animate them based on that.

I am going to get some free models in there, I just want to try and get some advanced sword moves in here for more practice...

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2009 05:04
Quote: "and there are almost no sword based animations."
Agreed. However, the FREE models I suggested have a working skeleton with all the needed joints for humanoid animation which is most common for RPGs.

Checkout http://mocap.cs.cmu.edu/search.php. It has a database of free humanoid mocap. It may require some format conversion and joint renaming to apply swordplay animations to the models, but its possibility.

Another possiblity is to procedurally animate the arm and sword movement in realtime. Systems have been proprosed before such as using the mouse to draw paths for arm/sword to follow. I have pondered a couple of ways to achieve this: 1) simply following the mouse; 2) point, click, lock target - moving arm/sword towards it; 3) Select from list of pre-generated paths. Heck, you could even add physics and pathfinding AI to it for some complexity and realism.

Quote: "I am working on this project to give a solid backbone for new users to make their own RPG with just editing this project."
IMHO, if you intend to stick with this philosophy the engine doesn't require complex animation, but, require a system in place to support it. Of course you would have to create a complex animation to test it, hehe.

Just some ideas to ponder...

Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2009 05:13
What I mean by 'complex' animation, is if the 'hero' jumps, then attacks, have him spin and hit the ground attacking, have different attacks for different attacks on the ground, and so forth. Not really 'complex', but more like sequences.

DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2009 05:57
you are talking animations like this right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZIw3oCLjIM

Come see the WIP!

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2009 10:02 Edited at: 11th May 2009 21:12
Maindric,

I started writing a portable MAUI Module and ran across a possible issue with object/asset ID management. In my server/client engines I use ID management system for everything that requires one. I use lots of IDs. I will swap out my ID Management System for yours to eliminate conflict.

My system is extremely simple: a stack for recycled IDs and global var for permanent IDs. Recycled IDs for objects deleted during runtime, and permenant IDs for objects that aren't deleted until the app is terminated. I dont recommend using a range of IDs for specified needs, because I ran into too many conflicts with using others code.

ID Management Stack Example

Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2009 05:49 Edited at: 8th May 2009 06:01
@DB newbie

I started working on importing your .x into the program, I now just need to get all four to load, not just a single corner. 0.o I got it loaded, but the seems are slightly noticeable...

@TechLord
That looks pretty cool. However, it may just be me, but the links seems broken.
If you do not mind, can you explain the code a little? (Sorry, not 100% sure what stacks are, I am not a pro programmer..)

DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2009 05:53 Edited at: 8th May 2009 05:53
Yah, with T.ED big maps are exported into multiple sections...sorry about that, and how does it look in DB?

and yes, that link is broken.

Come see the WIP!

Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2009 06:04 Edited at: 9th May 2009 21:18
Here is the SS.

The seams are slightly noticeable. The rest are almost perfect, except this one...

Attachments

DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2009 06:21
hmmmmm, any ideas on how that can be fixed?

Come see the WIP!

Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2009 14:26 Edited at: 9th May 2009 02:35
Not yet, I will look at it when I get home from school.

I started working on this, and I do have to say, I hate how T.Ed exports textures.. Is there a way to export it so that it uses 2 textures and tiles them instead of having four large textures? Less work on the graphics card with only two small images...

I fixed the seam. Now all I gotta do is make the second map disappear, and I can upload the new file.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2009 11:36 Edited at: 11th May 2009 21:30
MAUI Module Ready. Let me know if you have any trouble installing and running it. I'm put together a help files to explain how it works. Theres some Gizmo Behaviors missing such Checkboxes, I will update MAUI Module as soon as I write them. Also I'm setting up a FTP folder on my Web Host to ease sharing files etc. I'll email you a username and password when its ready.

MAUI Multi-App User Interface

PS: I highly recommend finding a FREE alternative to you ETXYZ considering this is a open source project. I use several commercial plugins in my MMO and thats a major reason why I cannot make it entirely open source.

I truly think we could get way standard Terrain System using DBPros Advance Terrain commands OR perhaps a completely custom system using standard Mesh Terrain Tiles. Whatever we come up should be replacable with ETXYZ or other lib, but, to require a pay-to-play plugin to even start using the project will put it out of reach as open source.

Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2009 21:02 Edited at: 10th May 2009 01:16
@TechLord

I just implemented .x terrain support, so if you cannot use ETXYZ, then make a few .x terrains to use. It is the same way as ETXYZ, but with .x files. Now consider it as "Open source with .etm support."

I will now update my commenting and clean up the code a bit.

As for MAUI, I will start looking into it now. I feel like it should be time to make a main menu, gui, and such. Thanks for this.

I just looked at it, and nice. I will get to work on this ASAP. =D

Hmmm... There seems to be a problem. When I try to run the MAUI.mod.DBPro file, I get an error saying that it ould not recognize the LUA Load File command...

**Edit**
Using your 2D graphics you supplied in the download, I decided to go ahead and make the main menu. All of them just takes you to the game, but I am working on that.

Here is a SS:

I used Craig Chipperfield's tutorial in newsletter 59 for the bitmap fonts, link here.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 20:16 Edited at: 11th May 2009 21:22
MAUI also uses a modified version of Craig Chipperfield's Bitmap Font system. Theres a lil work left but its functional. Updated the MAUI Module with a new maui file example. To compile MAUI Mod Required DLLs: DirectX 9.0c, Matrix1Util_20080927b, BarnskisLuaPlugin_1.1.1, DBXML which are all freely available.

Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 20:30 Edited at: 14th May 2009 23:29
When I go to try and download the lua plug in, I get this screen...

Attachments

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 21:29 Edited at: 10th May 2009 21:32
Barnski is the owner of the plugin and responsible for the download, I highly recommend posting your trouble in the LUA thead. If Barnski doesnt have an issue with me supplying the zip I will post the zip for download.

I'm gonna work on help files later on tonight to explain how the MAUI works and MAUI XML. I will be constantly updating the system for my own MMO, but, will update the Module when changes are significant. I will also be writting an embeddable MAUI Editor. The editor should ease creating dialog boxes and other apps for the engine.

Did you do any research on Stacks?

DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 21:56
the menu is looking great.

Come see the WIP!

Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 22:06 Edited at: 10th May 2009 22:16
@TechLord

Alright, I will post there, I already saw someone posted the error, so I did not see the need to post as well.

I am about to work on looking up stacks. I was waiting until I was ready to implement your module.

@DB Newbie

Thanks, but give TechLord the credit, he(I am assuming TechLord is a he) made the graphics, I just programmed it in.

@All
Currently, I am working on my webs site where I will host info about Maindric RPG, (I will host a little here, but full info there, all SS's from start to finish, and such.) I will put a link to it when I am ready to release it.

~~~~

Ok, I just looked stacks up, and if I am reading it correctly, a stack is stored information that adds information and receives takes out the data that was most recently put in. From what I have just read, it uses a push-pop method. When storing information, it does a check to make sure there is space (Seems like arrays to me), but it also uses pointers. Pointers point to a specific point within the stack (If I am not mistaken, just like in C++, pointers point to a specific block in memory.), where the stack pointer grows downward. I do not feel like explaining it now as it is quite a bit of typing, but I think I understand it.

Am I correct in that, or not? If it is, then I understand the concept, but not the practice...

DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 22:10
if you need me to make you another terrain just draw something up and i will do it.

Come see the WIP!

Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 22:18
@DB Newbie
Thanks for the offer. If something comes to mind, I will contact you. I am thinking about using the map you provided as a town map.

DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 22:26
sounds good...and i looked around and i don't think i can export the large maps as a single .x and same with the super textures.

Come see the WIP!

Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 22:36 Edited at: 10th May 2009 22:39
Alright, no problem. I will look into as well, see what can be done...

Could you export as .dbo with vertex alpha? Would that work?

DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 22:56
i just tried that and it comes out with a lot more then the 4 .x files...so that didn't work.

Come see the WIP!

Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 23:04 Edited at: 10th May 2009 23:08
I see... I can't export anything from the trial, so I cannot test... Hm, I will look even further into it. =D

Can you un-check separate blocks?

DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 23:58
ok, i unchecked the separate block and it comes out as 1 .x file with 4 super textures...i attached the files. hopefully that will work better.

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 00:13
That .x file is much better. Smaller file size, and seam is not noticeable. Now, can you try one more thing? When you export as a .x, instead of super texture, can you export, without separate block selected, with vertex alpha? I am hoping that will help with the texture. Because they are not being tiled, the texture is not that great quality. (SS attached showing what I mean.), if you can try that, that would be great.

Attachments

DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 01:13
ok here it is with no blocks and using vertex alpha...i has other files with it but i assume those are lightmaps or something.

Come see the WIP!

Attachments

Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 01:36
Sweet. Now there is only a single flaw. The grass texture is no where to be seen, it is all stone. Other than that, it is perfect! Thanks.

DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 01:46 Edited at: 11th May 2009 01:47
hmmmm...like the file is not there or it just isn't showing up? and i am just wondering is this in DBC or DBpro.

Come see the WIP!

Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 02:03 Edited at: 11th May 2009 02:11
This is in DBPro.

The file is there, but the texture is just not showing up... I am seeing if I did something wrong, but I do not believe so..

Attached is what I mean.

Attachments

DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 02:34 Edited at: 11th May 2009 02:34
strange, that is the default texture for T.ED. you know how with the super texture it looks like crap? that is at 1024 res and i can also set the res higher to 2048

Come see the WIP!

Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 03:51
That is true, however if we put those large textures onto low end computers, that is a fast way to use up vram, which will make it run slower.. ( I do not have the best computer, I get a max of 420 FPS in DBPro with nothing up, ~200 with 3D, so I cannot afford to add to much to it..)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 01:32:50
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 01:32:50