Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Prospect CD

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 15:52
Howdi folks

Been busy working away on my Darkbasic Presentation for work, and havent had the chance to upload any new WIP shots. Also couldnt find my previous thread about it so here's a new one with a new vid of the app workin away.

Note: Some of the rendered fmv vids look choppy, but that's down to Frap's & conversion. It looks fine & dandy in the app.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4CHgS1Jeo8

Much closer to completion now, just a few bugs to iron out, and final content to drop in certain places.

Things that have changed
New GUI, looks fresher and more professional than the last one me thinks, (scarily looks a bit vista-like) runs a lot quicker too.

Plant list reworked. The original idea was to have 3D rotating models in the plant list, but due to time (and hardware) constraints, the models have been rendered into short movie clips, still get's the effect across, and isn't as hardware dependant!

Intro movie in place, might be reworked still as it's basically the plant list clips montaged together with some backing music, but it gives an impression of what it'll be like. Any budding musicians want to lend me their art for a place in the credits? Need some decent music, but can't afford to pay : ( So far I've been given a budget of 12 pounds and that was for the DVD cases

About Us section in place. A simple 4 page design, that was a morning's work. Just needs final text from my boss

Our Location: Maybe a bit OTT but it wasn't my idea, the gaffer wanted a 3d satelite map that zoomed in on different stages. Not exactly google earth, but it does the trick.

Contact Us: Have put in the option to import into outlook, though this is crashing if not run in a window. Need to put a function in place their to reload all the media, but this will be one of the last things to do.

Things left to do.
Drop in final text into sections.
2 3D models to be finished & rendered in the plant list

Need to fix a strange CTD in the our location section.

Credits scroll bar to be programmed.

Royalty free music to be found & added.

Page Numbers to be replaced with page heading buttons.

Blank photos & videos to be removed.

General code and GUI tidying up.

FINAL TESTING

Any constructive comments would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Vampiric
Years of Service
User Offline
Very professional, the menu system looks a lot like vista. Overall a very good interactive presentation and by the way did you use plains for your GUI?

Computer says n00bed
Milkman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 18:37
that's amazing, looks very professional

Who needs a signature?
tdb sHAYMAN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 18:45
Thanks, the GUI uses a mixture of plains and sprites, mainly using plains when any animations are being projected. TBH I'm happy with the overall presentation of the app, but not to how it's been put together. Being my first real atempt at a large project I've learnt a lot from it.

The sprites are all to specific to what is being presented so allthough I could reskin the presentation, the layout is pretty much standard. In other words it's a fake GUI, windows are made from large sprites rather than made from cut images.

When complete I'm gonna go back to the drawing board and produce something that can be customised a lot more from simple code rather than manipulating the images, so windows can be resized and reused.

The main problem has been explaining to the gaffer why it takes so much time, he lives in a drag & drop world!, so I've not had the hours this time around.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 23:42
Looks very nice and professional, but, umm...what is it . You didn't give any info .

Pirates of Port Royale
Live the life of a pirate.
tdb sHAYMAN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 10:03
Oops!

Yeah basically my employers wanted a DVD video to send out to existing & potential clients with details of their services, videos, photos etc.

The DVD video was scrapped, as I reckon more companies have PC's than DVD players, or even DVD playing capable PC's. So now it's on a CDROM.

Would much rather be making games for a living, but at least its a start. I'm only a mailing machine operator where I'm working
tdb sHAYMAN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2007 10:13
Hi folks, penultimate update before this project is no longer a wip!

All works fine, apart from in win98 where its causing an illegal operation on exit, but will have to strip it down later today to find what the problem is = ). Just sent an email to a composer hoping he'll let me use one of his demos for the intro - but will let you know in the final update!

Anyways thanks for watching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh-65ddhYbY
tdb sHAYMAN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2007 11:18 Edited at: 27th Feb 2007 11:23
Will be uploading a vid of the final build later today, and moving to the completed projects page! Yaya!!

Current Project:
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2007 11:32
Looks very nice, I noticed one slight bug, on the main menu whever you clicked something the exit(bottom) button would use the clicked down image even when you didn't click on that while it was fading out, and also on the other menu when it faded in and out the buttons on it didn't appear to fade with it, but other than that it looked pretty professional.

tdb sHAYMAN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2007 11:51
Thanks for your comments,
yeah the exit button bug has been fixed now, and as spotted there is a slight fading problem with the buttons, but in runtime its not too bad, might let this one go I think.

Earlier in development the button states were captured using GET IMAGE, which doesn't support transparency in png's as far as I'm aware so the white border on the buttons and the background are causing this effect when their opacity levels are added. Used animated sprites later on for the buttons later on so this isn't an issue with most of the program, but thanks for noticing - might fix later today if i get the time!

Current Project:

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-25 06:57:15
Your offset time is: 2024-05-25 06:57:15