Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Quikly Game Studio Pro (FINALLY!) (Game Creator, Make FPS, 3rd person, driving etc with physics, terrain...)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2005 20:23 Edited at: 4th Aug 2005 20:29
Hi Everyone! I've been away from the forums a long time, I even gave up on DBPro about a year ago, selling my copy, due to bugs stopping me from finishing my projects - However, those bugs have now been fixed, I have bought a New copy of DBPro and Blue GUI and now am ready to start releasing stuff! So... less about me, on with the blurb.

Quikly Game Pro EA version is being released on Wednesday 10th of August 2005 Those of you who have been on these forums may remember this, I've been working on it on and off for nearly 4 years!

Things you need to know
* It is a Games creation program, in a similar style to FPSC.
* It can make First Person (FPS), third person, and driving games.
* It now uses Newton for amazing real-time physics, including ragdoll and vehicular.
* It has real-time lighting and shadows (If your graphics card is powerful enough)
* It can support indoor AND outdoor levels, including terrains, cityscapes etc.
* Games wil be liscence free, and not require a splash screen / watermark etc.
* It can output exe games OR Dark Basic Pro code!

On Wednesday the 10th the EA version will be released. This will be like FPSCs EA version in that it is unfinished, but perfectly usable, (and great fun!) There will be new updates and features released for free download EVERY MONTH as well as boxed versions for those not wanting to download.

The EA version will cost 19.99 GBP for download or 29.99 GBP for a boxed product. All official updates and expansions will ALWAYS be free And in the unlikely future eventthat something happens to me and I can't develop it anymore - I will release the source code as open-source so development may carry on past my years

Of course over the next 6 days I shall be releasing more details, screenshots etc. And on the release date there will be a free DEMO available for download, as well as a dedicated website with all the relevant details.

I should point out that all features mentionned above are already in place and will be present in the DEMO and EA version!

Please note that I do not wish this to become a flame bait and I wish to categorically state that this is NOT aimed as a rival product to FPSC at all. There are things that FPSC will do better than Quikly Game Pro (for example my EA will not ship with as many models, my lightmapper is not as sophisticated etc.) but there are certainly reasons for buying BOTH products (EG making games other than FPS, outputting to DBPro Code, EA will allow for Physics, vehicles, terrain etc). I hope TGC doesn't see this as a threatenning product, as I have used their products since DBClassic was released. In fact, being that Quikly Game Pro exports to DBPro code, it should infact boost brand awareness and sales for TGC

I'll post back in a few hours with some screenshots and recommended specs. (I need to test it on a few different pcs & O/Ss)

Cheers, Sam

Quikly 3d Game Studio EA release date: Wednesday 10th August 2005!
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2005 20:28
Sounds brilliant! Good to see you're still working on things 'roo

How's the exe compilation done? Compiling dbpro code?

"A book. If u know something why cant u make a kool game or prog.
come on now. A book. I hate books. book is stupid. I know that I need codes but I dont know the codes"
Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2005 20:36
Wow a response already!

Hi David T great to hear from a familiar name

"Sounds brilliant! Good to see you're still working on things 'roo"
Thanks!

"How's the exe compilation done? Compiling dbpro code?"
No, as that would require people to own a copy of DBpro, and would bring up some hefty legal issues Essemtially the exes for the games are nigh on identical to each other with only a few changes made internally. Games come with a separate script file which is read by the exe and makes the game, whilst media can be supplied separately, or bundled together with it in a compressed file.

PS I should have mentionned and apologised for dissappearing ages ago whilst building "Deathbed" I came up with some hefty problems with it and couldn't get past the dreaded framrate issue, so it wasn't worth my while paying for bandwidth on the site for the demo. However I will state that Quikly Game Pro has no such issues, and I have yet to make the framerate dip under 60fps in game with my 2Ghzx512x9700pro PC

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2005 20:39
sounds great, better that the 3d gamemaker anyway, though that had lots of genres, there was no flexibility..

any screenshots?

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2005 21:01
Oh man, you had me until you said we have to pay for it... My dad got his credit card stolen and now he doesnt let me buy nothin' over the internet anymore. Sounds good and worth the money. But a lot of people will be left out
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2005 22:01
Quote: "My dad got his credit card stolen and now he doesnt let me buy nothin' over the internet anymore"

Can't see how the two are related. It's sad when you her about people like you - a victim of the parents-over-cautious-buying-off-net syndrome

Quote: "No, as that would require people to own a copy of DBpro, and would bring up some hefty legal issues Essemtially the exes for the games are nigh on identical to each other with only a few changes made internally. Games come with a separate script file which is read by the exe and makes the game, whilst media can be supplied separately, or bundled together with it in a compressed file."

Ah - I thought it was a standalone exe. Still, that way makes sense also

You may be interested in my Lua plugin for this - see further down this board for more info.

come on now. A book. I hate books. book is stupid. I know that I need codes but I dont know the codes"
Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2005 23:36 Edited at: 5th Aug 2005 00:02
"sounds great, better that the 3d gamemaker anyway, though that had lots of genres, there was no flexibility.."
Thanks Yeah, its certainly better than t3dgm (no offense to anyone intended) this will be far more flexible in what kind of levels you can make, more actual control over the games etc.

"Oh man, you had me until you said we have to pay for it... My dad got his credit card stolen and now he doesnt let me buy nothin' over the internet anymore. Sounds good and worth the money. But a lot of people will be left out"
You'll still be able to play with the demo, it won't be time release or anything mean like that, just limited options, ie no save/export etc. People who don't have access to credit cards etc. could always send a cheque or postal order... there will also be free copies given away in competitions (EG Make media / texture packs etc.)

David T : Yes I have read about Lua, sounds interesting. Do you have any links on it for beginners? I was thinking about using it for AI... Are there any liscencing or patent style issues or is it a standard anyone can use? Miht be something I can incorporate later, as well as my scripting set B)

Screenshots:

http://www.quikly.com/downloads/prereleaseshot01.jpg
A shot of the GUI and Editor in process. This is Painting a level. You can also use prefabs, works similar to fpsc...

http://www.quikly.com/downloads/prereleaseshot02.jpg
Some captures to show the realtime shadows and physics.

Please ignore the appalling textures I just made these for the purpose of the shots as at the moment for testing I'm using models and textures which I did not make, but I don't really want to post screenshots with them because it wouldn't be my own work

Before release I will have a small selection of good quality models and textures, which will expand via the website

alex 1337
User Banned
Posted: 5th Aug 2005 00:31
i would love to buy this program...
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
nice work..

Morning Online
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2005 01:11
Looks like impressive stuff Kangaroo . Nice to see you around again. It'd be cool if you could get a short demo of the product in action on video using fraps or the like. Videos are always much better than pictures, they don't require annotating .

alex 1337
User Banned
Posted: 5th Aug 2005 01:31
I'd also like to see a video soon. How many models will this program come with? What are the supported files for models?

Thanks
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2005 01:33
sounds sweet! Now I have a bank account I can buy it with out asking my dad to use his card lol, does sounds a lot better than 3DGM well I'd prolly use it as testing or learning DBP code

Oh and read the stickies, requires screenshots, ur setting a bad example, mods, lock it just joking, ur no newb who came up with a halo idea

Lynx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2005 01:45
Nice work kangaroo . Might be a good investment.

Quote: "Oh and read the stickies, requires screenshots,"

I know you're joking but he has screenshots

I pwn.. this glove.
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2005 09:39 Edited at: 5th Aug 2005 09:49
Quote: "Good to see you're still working on things 'roo"

Quote: "Nice to see you around again"

erm? did i missed something about "Kangaroo2 BETA2"? why does everyone's know him, and i dont?

Morning Online
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2005 11:40
Roo's an old-school Moderator of the forums from way back

This product looks real nice - Just like FPSC... Should be great to see what you have come up with

Shame about it costing money, though (Yeah, I'm cheap ).

Keep up the effort, and I'll be waiting for that demo

Jess.

Team EOD :: All-Round Nice Guy
Want Better dbHelp Files?
Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2005 11:54 Edited at: 5th Aug 2005 12:05
Gamemaker Alex
"i would love to buy this program..."
Thanks You will be able to in about 5 days now..

"How many models will this program come with?"
The first EA will probably not have many player / vehicle / enemy models as these take a while for me to make, animate etc. There will be a decent selection of prefabs, levels and simple objects though. I will make more models etc as time goes by, these will be available for download for free, or to buy as boxed CD-ROMS for free +p&p&h.

"What are the supported files for models?"
*.x models will be supported, as will *.dbo. This means you will be able to make levels in Cartography shop and lightmap them in giles and use them in the games if you want. Or you can just use the built in level editor There will also be an exclusive model format I have designed myself which will be supported by a free modeling package released with future releases. (This format will basically be based on dbpro primitves editted and joined together, they'll load slightly slower but run faster, and be easy to create )

GoGetaX "nice work.."
Thanks
"erm? did i missed something about "Kangaroo2 BETA2"? why does everyone's know him, and i dont?"
I was first on these forums as Kangaroo2 in around 2001, and re-registered in 2003 as Kangaroo2 Beta2, been off the forums for about a year.

Hamish "Looks like impressive stuff Kangaroo . Nice to see you around again"
Thanks man, good to see you here still, you always made kewl stuff
"It'd be cool if you could get a short demo of the product in action on video using fraps or the like. Videos are always much better than pictures, they don't require annotating."
I had thought of doing this yeah, and I do have a copy of FRAPS somewhere, although my own webhosting has limited bandwidth so I might have to find somewhere to host them. Plus a demo will be out in not many days, which may well be quite small in Mb...

Seppuku Geijutsu
"sounds sweet! Now I have a bank account I can buy it with out asking my dad to use his card lol, does sounds a lot better than 3DGM well"
Thank you
"I'd prolly use it as testing or learning DBP code"
Yes, I hope more people will use it for learning dbpro coding, especialy as if someone knows dbpro they could make a quick game in quikly, then export it as dbpro code and add their own extra ai, effects etc.

Lynx
"Nice work kangaroo. Might be a good investment."
Thanks

Jess : Great to see you still around here too
"This product looks real nice - Just like FPSC... Should be great to see what you have come up with"
Thank you Yes its certainly similar, although I would point out its actually been in development in one form or another for many years now... It was actually nearly ready for release a while ago with a publisgher and everything, but then I had to stop production for various reasons. This is mostly re-written code, but the basic style of editting remains the same. The only ideas I have "borrowed" from FPSC are the idea of Prefab Rooms and calling the freeform creation "painting" B)

"Shame about it costing money, though"
Yes I agree in a way. If this was just an expansion to DBpro I would have made it free. But its probably going to have a large audience of non coders, like fpsc & t3dgm, and therefore could be sold as a boxed product for just under the price of a PC game like they are. If I make a free version in the future I certainly wouldn't want it to output dbpro code or be royalty/splash screen free, otherwise people would abuse the product as I'm sure you can imagine

"Keep up the effort, and I'll be waiting for that demo"
Thanks, I will And yup It'll be there. I'm making a definite effort NOT to slip on release dates, simply to release it in whatever state its in, then release updates, bug fixes etc. I hate when release dates slip *gets off high-horse*

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2005 12:30 Edited at: 5th Aug 2005 12:32
You're back finally .. And this time it isn't Jessticular impersonating you(else, stab stab)! Its good to finally see you again, I wondered what the hell had happended to you.

Those screenshots look pretty interesting, I'll be sure to check out the demo when its available.

Oh yeah just incase you don't know and are wondering who the hell I am, my forum username used to be petrat.

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin - 80%
Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2005 13:22 Edited at: 5th Aug 2005 13:46
Aha I remember Petrat, you tried out one of my first public demos, Dizzy & Bounce Good to see you! "Those screenshots look pretty interesting, I'll be sure to check out the demo when its available." Thanks

Okay so I've done some testing on various PCs and have pretty much established Minimum & Recommended Specs.

Minimum Specs:
1.3Ghz Processor (Pentium 3 or Athlon 1600)
32Mb GeForce 3 series or Radeon 8xxx series
256Mb RAM
Windows 98 second edition
1gb free Hard disk Space (for install and 'swap' files)
DirectX9c + latest windows updates + graphics drivers

Recommended Specs:
2Ghz Processor
64Mb GeForceFX series or Radeon 9xxx series
512Mb RAM
Windows XP Service Pack 2
3Gb free Hard Disk Space
DirectX9c + latest windows updates + graphics drivers

Questions people may ask
Q "My minimum spec is less than stated, will it still run?"
A If you meet DBPro Min specs, then Probably, but framerates may be choppy. The most importanat thing is the graphics card. For example, it runs without errors on a GForce2MX or Radeon 7000 card but the editor will be jerky and larger levels will have a slow frame rate when playing games.

Q "Will the Minimum Specs be reduced as development is continued?"
A Probabl not, but as development progresses, performance will be improved on slower machines. If a significant number of registered users are experiencing slow frame rates, I can add a 'low spec' mode to keep things smooth ( for example to aim at a steady 30fps rather than 60 or higher )

Q "Will it be released for Linux / Mac?"
A It is entirely reliant on DirectX9 so a Linux or Mac version is not possible, and I am not aware of any emulators which will run it reliably.

Q "Will it be released for PS2 / XBox etc?"
A Basically no, as PS2 or Xbox versions would have to be completely reprogrammed from scratch, so unless I'm offered large sums of money and a huge development team this is highly unlikely However I did start a highly stripped down PS2 version last year in the language you get free with it but I abandoned it quite quickly because of the limitations imposed by that language and commercial licscencing of PS2 games / software. However if PS3 comes with a more powerful and flexible language I may start it again, but personally I severely doubt hat Sony will continue offering free programming languages (I think the New PS2s don't even come with them). As far as Xbox goes it would have to be a Homebrew app which would only work in chipped consoles and I'm not really interested in that side of things.

Please no-one ask questions about console development as I've seen too many newcomers get excited and old timers flame them and it turns into chaos I just thought I'd add the above as an honest answer, as this question innevitably comes from a newcomer sooner or later

Issues I should mention
Certain features are reliant on graphics card, for example real time shadows which require a genuine Directx 9 card. They work and very quickly on a Radeon 9700pro, and work but slowly on a FX5200. Obviously they don't work at all on a gforce 2 or Radeon 7000 (but these cards will still play the games in a stripped down mode).

Strangely certain cards which report that they support the effects actually don't, for example an 8500 runs the shadows but a 8500 All-in-Wonder which should be identical doesn't (And yes the driver versions were identical)

Obviously all features like this can be enabled or disabled dependant on whether your cards support them, speed issues etc.

Upon exitting the program in Windows 98se, an error message is displayed, however before this it works perfectly, and the error is inconsequential, it can still exit etc. I think this error is common to combining Newton & DBpro in 98, not much I can do about it, but I will look into it, as its a little annoying.

I tested in Windows 98se, ME, 2000 & XP (all with the latest updates) and it works fine at present. I can only regularly test on XP and 98se, but as these are at opposite ends if it works in both should work in anything inbetween (I hope!)

Cheers, Sam

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2005 13:42
Very nice looking, I'm flagging this thread for mailback
Good to see you're back with us 'Roo

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2005 16:02
Quote: "32Mb GeForce 3"

What about 64mb Geforce 2?
I think it can handle the right kind of shadows, because I have shadows on Splinter Cell and Kal Online, I hope it won't be fx shader dependant either......otherwise I'm buggered lol

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2005 18:27 Edited at: 5th Aug 2005 18:45
Hi

A 64Mb GForce2 should be okay, do you know what chipset model it is? (MX etc.) It will definitely run the program, but various effects won't be supported. Not sure about Kal online, but splinter cell uses software to render the shadows, not hardware, I think its a direct x 8 game. ([edit] I may be entirely wrong in what I just said, my memory is not what it used to be!) Direct X 9 makes certain effects a lot easier to program, but you need compatible hardware, such as a newer graphics card.

Of course, for people who can't use realtime shadows I will at some point put in a system for "fake" shadows (very easy to do, just low down priority list at the moment) , like those seen in older games (ie most playstation 1 or n64 games), so games won't be completely shadowless in many case (especially with primitives or where the shadow is a simple shape, ie the shadow under a crate, barrel or even a car, fake shadows will look perfect And don't forget that you'll be able to use lightmapping for fixed non realtime shadows, just as in fpsc. Basically there are lots of ways of making shadows, and you'll be definitely able to use all of them except one

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2005 18:37
Ah Hi Kentaree didn't see you there
"Very nice looking, I'm flagging this thread for mailback"
Thank you I only just noticed you could do that, very useful
"Good to see you're back with us 'Roo"
Cheers! Glad to see you still here too

Update:
So far today I have been squishing some tasty bugs, not too many in there now

Essentially the next few days willl be spent adding features to the interface which I have already programmed - Ie the 3d engine can support all kindsa stuff and code is already there, just need to get them in the level editor.

This afternoon I'll be adding stairs, ramps, walls at angles and roofs to the level editor, all of which are programmed into the engine, but not present as options in the editor

Also started the help file and some tutorials, I think its important to get these right to make it as simple as possible to use, whilst still being flexible enough to not limit you. (Eg t3dgm is a lot more obviously easy to use but not anywhere near flexible enough as a result...) Its about striking a balance and I'm trying my best to get it right so its a useful product for coders and a fun project for people who don't want to code

Hmm only 4:30 and I'm beginning to flag. More Coffee it is then

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2005 22:15
@ Kanga,

1) is this flexible enough to design a 3d rpg of sorts? if yes, how much so?
2) what about an ATI Radeon 9600?
3) eta?
4) need beta testers?

pushy aint I - as others have said, looks impressive and will put in my mailback... would certainly pay for it if it lives up to the pitch.
Lynx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2005 23:58
@ Duffer-
Kangaroo said it can export to DBP code, so if there's something the program doesn't do you can just do it yourself in DBP.

I'm going to have a look at the demo myself and see what it can do, I may even buy a copy

I pwn.. this glove.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2005 00:22
@Kangaroo cheers dudes, uh the chipset model is nVidia MX400, so I guess that'll be alright, I'll just play around in DBP to see if all the features work

@Lynx, great minds think a like, demo until next months pay(this months is spending money for my holiday) and then if its as good as its sounds (or better) then well I'll end up buying it
at least I'll be able to make Ronin quicker by using code made from it

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2005 02:32
Hey Kangaroo, glad to see you around! Was just helping a few people with lighting a little bit ago based on the information you gave me on Deathbed a long while back.

Anyway...

This looks really cool, and I myself have attempted many projects like this. I'm very interested to see what lighting you have. Already having physics built in is also very exciting too me. I'm definitly going to keep an eye on this, and we may have to slap some glue on this post soon as well.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly Yellow)
Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2005 16:29 Edited at: 6th Aug 2005 16:31
Duffer:
"1) is this flexible enough to design a 3d rpg of sorts? if yes, how much so?"
Yes, it certainly will be within a few months once I've put in more features that I want to. You can assign many stats to characters etc so once I improve my scripting language support and probably add some built it scripts it should be able to make pretty decent 3d rpgs.

"2) what about an ATI Radeon 9600?"
Haven't tested all effects with a 9600 but it should more than be up for the job as far as framerates will go

"3) eta?"
Pardon? lol

"4) need beta testers?"
Essentially I'll be releaseing a demo soon and everytime I update the prog I'll also update the demos, so beta testing eill be done by people trying the demo. Essentially I would say try the demos, and when the product gets to a point where its usable for what you want, then consider buying it. Don't expect it to be perfect and full of features by the 10th, its a EA release for having fun with and testing out

"pushy aint I" - Not al all "as others have said, looks impressive and will put in my mailback... would certainly pay for it if it lives up to the pitch."
Thanks It will certainly do everything it says in the pitch, trouble is I don't want people's imaginations running wild and them imagining features I haven't implemented yet lol I am especially worried about people seeing the lack of initial character models and saying "it has rubbish graphics" when essentially if you were an amazing modeller this engine could have stunning graphics! This is more of an engine, and as I said will NOT come with the wealth of styles and models fpsc does for example. Or not initially anyway. That wasn't aimed at you by the way, just seemed to fit my train of thought!

Lynx
"Kangaroo said it can export to DBP code, so if there's something the program doesn't do you can just do it yourself in DBP."
Yes, I hope people will BUT I also want to add as many features down the line to prevent people having to do this if they don't want to. This product will grow and grow with features - as I said, updates will be released at least once a month guaranteed

"I'm going to have a look at the demo myself and see what it can do, I may even buy a copy"
Thanks See if you like the demo before you buy, as I said no pressure on anyone as they can always buy in the future when more featres are added *sends out subliminal messages* But it will be fun everybody BUY BUY BUY *evil cackle...*

Seppuku Geijutsu
"@Kangaroo cheers dudes," np "uh the chipset model is nVidia MX400, so I guess that'll be alright, I'll just play around in DBP to see if all the features work"
Yes the MX400 was the card I used to own. The frame rates should be quite solid but most of the built in effects won't work, but the faked ones will. To get an idea as to which effects work on your card you could try the 3d demo with the asteroid that comes with dbpro, these use very similar shadow, refelection, bump mapping etc techniques...

"@Lynx, great minds think a like, demo until next months pay(this months is spending money for my holiday) and then if its as good as its sounds (or better) then well I'll end up buying it
at least I'll be able to make Ronin quicker by using code made from it"
Cool I hope you find it useful

MikeS
"Hey Kangaroo, glad to see you around!" Hi you too! Long time no speak

"Was just helping a few people with lighting a little bit ago based on the information you gave me on Deathbed a long while back."
Wow, thats nice to hear Glad I helped

"This looks really cool, and I myself have attempted many projects like this."
Yes me too lol. This originally started off as a car simulator with a built in level editor, which then progressed to Kangaroo2 studio, which I restarted 4 times cos I kept coming up with better ideas, then It became Quikly Gaem Studio, nearly got a publisher then hit some snags, and now I've started again from the ground up with the idea of being completely physics based, rather than faking it all as it used to. This way finished games will be more akin to half-life 2 (although obviously my modelaing and texturing skills aren't as good lol) and recent PC games rather than playing like old ps1 games, should make it more viable and futureproof - I hope! lol

"I'm very interested to see what lighting you have."
Similar to before to be honest, although I can't remember how far it got with deathbed, pretty sure there wasn't real time ligting in that... I have written a very simple lightmapper (which I may not include with the first demo as it needs tweaking) Which is no where near as sophisticated as fpsc or Gile's, but many times quicker. The real time lighting and shadowing are nothing you can't already do in DBPro quite easily, the main difference being the physics loops and handling routines for the game seriosuly speed up frame rates. As I said I've yet to see any slowdown in game with a 9700pro (which to be honest nowadays is no where near top of the range, I've seen them on ebay buy it now as 40 quid...!

"Already having physics built in is also very exciting too me."
Yes, the potential of it is amazing. Its using Newton physics so you already know essentially what it can do, which is very VERY cool - but many people seem to have trouble grasping it, so this should help new-comers or non programmers to use, or even learn game physics. I'm quite new to it too tbh but I have learnt a lot from the excellent eaxmples from Walaber and the new guy (sorry can't remember the name but will certainly look it up and credit him with a thank you lol)

"I'm definitly going to keep an eye on this, and we may have to slap some glue on this post soon as well."
Thanks Once its actually released and in the Program Announcements, that would be absolutely stunning mate

A Note About Expoerting to DBPro Code
Everytime I add a new scripting feature this function breaks and needs to be fixed, as I'm sure you can guess! This means that the release on the 10th may not have this function completely in place, although if not it will be definitely in the 2nd release a few weeks later.

This feature is easily the most difficult to get right, and one which is always going to be a bit sketchy and I can guarantee that the code outputted may not be perfectly neat or even the most optimised way of doing things, plus it may well run slightly slower thank games running from my exe and script. However with time it will work well and is there for people who want to add, change and learn from code

I would like to re-iterate that the demo versions will NOT export to DBPro, simply as this would practically negate the reason for a full version, as any limitations could be easily removed by even the most basic of code. Unfortunately I have to earn money from thsi as I am a freelance worker with 2 kids to support

Also I will NOT be happy if people start exporting the code for a game, claiming they wrote it entirely themselves and posting an entire game under the codebase as their own lol

Don't mean to sound heavy but that should be pointed out before people start thinking they don't need to learn to program before they are "masterz of da codez" with this program hehe

Thanks for the interest everybody really nice to have such support to spur me along Back with a progress report later

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2005 16:49 Edited at: 6th Aug 2005 20:28
Quote: ""3) eta?"
Pardon? lol"

Estimated time of arrival. Or a Spanish terrorist group. Take your pick

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2005 17:04
@Kangaroo, cool, I know shadow, bump and reflection work I have problems with my shadows, hopefully either posting on DBP forums or your app will solve em, when I need em solved

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2005 17:28
"Estimated time of arrival. Oo a Spanish terrorist group. Take your pick"
Aha lol thanks for that. Um okay estimated time of arrival would be sometime in the afternoon of the 10th, whenever I finish my other work I shall upload it

"@Kangaroo, cool, I know shadow, bump and reflection work"
On a Gfroce2MX400? Hmm well you're lucky then Mine didn't, hense why I upgraded to the FX5200 a year ago, then the 8500 then 9700pro. But if they work, cool! Although I can't guarantee the speed of them for you, just test it with and without I guess

"...hopefully either posting on DBP forums or your app will solve em, when I need em solved"
Absolutely. There will certainly be fixes and work arounds in time, especially as I can test them with more machines etc to get an idea of performance.

Update
Yesterday I wrote:
"This afternoon I'll be adding stairs, ramps, walls at angles and roofs to the level editor, all of which are programmed into the engine, but not present as options in the editor"
Well, I got stairs and ramps in there, but then my cousin unexpectantly came round with a bottle of vodka, and my wife and I stayed up until 4am... V tired, but am starting to recover lol

So my aims for today are to finish adding the angled wall and roofs/ceilings. I also noticed some weir droatation and collision problems when running the actual game, I know exactly why this is happenning but might take me the rest of the day to iron it out completely, and test this thoroughly, but its kinda vital! lol. If I have time left over, I'll start to intergrate doors and windows into the editor too, these are again programed but not intergrated. Anyway I shall report back later, and maybe post some tasty screenshots of more complete looking levels

Cheers, Sam

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2005 18:39
Quote: "4am..."

been there mate, shouldn't of started a thread where I got flamed and try to suss it out Glad to see ur dedicated to it.

I know you can't guarantee the FPS, I mean mine is slow, I get something of 10-30 fps on my games and DBP work, useless piece of junk

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2005 00:47
"been there mate" lol yeah haven't we all "Glad to see ur dedicated to it." - Yup I'm determined to actually get this blummin project realeased after all these years

"I know you can't guarantee the FPS, I mean mine is slow, I get something of 10-30 fps on my games and DBP work, useless piece of junk"
Well, for their age they are decent cards, see how it goes innit. If you do need to upgrade, a 9700pro is perfect for the job (cos thats what I use ) and on ebay they go for about 50 quid refurb, so thats not too expensive really - of course depends on your processor speed too

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2005 01:04
A shot of the level editor with a larger level, including ramps, stairs, multiple heights and basic doorways. Its looking pretty smart now in a humble kinda way
http://www.quikly.com/downloads/prereleaseshot03.jpg

And heres the same level with the view really zoomed in. This is specifically to show off the scaling of the textures around the doorway, took me age to get the cut out of the wall not to make the textures go weird Obviously here is NOT an ingame shot, just zoomed in on th level editor, ingame graphics would look much nicer, with lighting etc.
http://www.quikly.com/downloads/prereleaseshot04.jpg

45 degree walls are now in, but can't be rotated yet, hense why I haven't used them in this example. Now that I have the doorways cut out code I can add different doors and windows tomorrow. Flat rooves and ceiling are now in, I shall add angled ones tomorrow. I should point out that the heights and angles of stairs, ramps, walls etc are all now user selectable not fixed blocks as before Its really getting quite versatile now, v fun to play about with

Anyway I'm really knackered so I'm off to bed, I'll be back tomorrow with yet another update.

Cheers, Sam

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2005 01:28
looks great, thanks I'll look up tbe graphics cards, looks like that next months pay sorted can start saving up for that epiphone sg later no doubt the card will take the rest of me money

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2005 12:56
lol cool. btw what processor does your pc ie Pentium 4/AMd +Ghz?

Ok every1 heres another 2 screenshots, just cos I've wasted most of the morning building levels and stuff to see if I can find a circumstance where it breasks, and - it doesn't! Which I'm quite chuffed at cos it saves me having to fix it lol

http://www.quikly.com/downloads/prereleaseshot05.jpg
http://www.quikly.com/downloads/prereleaseshot06.jpg
nb the framerate in the second is 1fps cos its paused for a load game dialogue

Hmm today I'm gonna add the more fun stuff now the basics are in place... will hopefully have terrains into the editor by the end of the day, along with some ncie different styles of cutouts and walls, also will try to add curved walls and sloped ceilings... hmm busy day! lol

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2005 21:59
@Kangaroo...ooh thats getting a lil off topic...j/k
Pentium 4 1.5ghz

The screenies make it look more promising, of course I'm gonna stick to DB textures and the ones I get free with each 3D world magazine

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2005 04:58
P4 1.5 will probably be just fine, it'll be your graphics card slowing things down the most I imagine

Looks like its just us here! Slow forum day lol anyway for those still reading this here's an...

Update
Well, its 3am and I've just decided to call it a night as my eyelids can hardly be prized open Hardcore coding adding features to this

Advanced Terrains are now IN and working properly! I'll post a screenshot tomorrow once I've made a decent heightmap & texture.

Curved and angled walls are now usable in the level editor, as you can see from the screenshot below has many possibilities
http://www.quikly.com/downloads/prereleaseshot07.jpg

Tomorrow I'll be mostly having fun making cool stuff like different prefabs, models textures etc. So expect some far more varied and impressive in game screenshots by the end of the day

I'm still definitely going to release the first version on Wednesday Afternoon/early evening, if I work hard it should be pretty impressively featured, theres a lotta kewl stuff I'm holding back on telling you all for now incase it doesn't make it till the next release...

Amyhow I'm exhausted, I'm off to bed! Cheers, Sam

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2005 05:04
This is looking excellent Sam. Great to see curves in your levels, and they seem to link up pretty well. I just can't wait to give this a try.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly Yellow)
Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2005 05:43
"This is looking excellent Sam. Great to see curves in your levels, and they seem to link up pretty well. I just can't wait to give this a try."
Thanks Mike Yes exverything links together quite well, and where there are possible problems I am going to make small additional parts to add them together, like beams, pipes etc.

okay then I admit it, I lied: I haven't gone to bed yet - I was going to, but then thought "why not test this on my wifes pc whilst I'm downstairs? its quite low spec, especially being it has a radeon 7000 which struggles with most newer games. However framerates were fine with simple levels, although they dipped once I added lots of curves and stairs around the level I was working on, as I would have expected. Anyway made a funky lil level, so heres a sneaky screenshot before I actually DO go to bed (finally)

http://www.quikly.com/downloads/prereleaseshot08.jpg

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2005 12:48
The levels at the moment look a bit bland. Could you make a demo level with better textures and more variety?

Also - will it be possible to add little extra props - like fire extinguishers to walls etc.?

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2005 13:04
well the level look kinda promising anyway, even if it is a lil bland at the moment.

Also I remember you saying it wouldn't be on mac because its DirectX dependant, originally I assumed you were doing this in DBP, but if you're not, they're introducing intel to Macs sometime next year, meaning they miy might go direct X, which would mean you would be able to produce it for mac, and well exporting DBP code would be useless then, but at least mac would have a decent game maker. But if you are doing it in DBP, then that sort of thing can't be done unless DBP makes the change (which would be nice)

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2005 13:39 Edited at: 8th Aug 2005 13:42
DavidT

"The levels at the moment look a bit bland. Could you make a demo level with better textures and more variety?"
Yeah sorry about the ugly textures! Amongst other things, thats what I'll be doing today I hope to have a sci-fi style fps level, an outdoors terrain, and maybe some others by the end of the day if I have time

"Also - will it be possible to add little extra props - like fire extinguishers to walls etc.?"
Yes of course These will be active objects too, so you can shoot notices off walls (for example) with proper physics etc Haven't made a fire extinguisher as yet, simply because I haven't implemented my nice explosion code yet, but other lil extras like signs, lights, pipes etc ahould all be in by Wednesday.

Sepuku
"Also I remember you saying it wouldn't be on mac because its DirectX dependant, originally I assumed you were doing this in DBP, but if you're not, they're introducing intel to Macs sometime next year, meaning they miy might go direct X, which would mean you would be able to produce it for mac, and well exporting DBP code would be useless then, but at least mac would have a decent game maker. But if you are doing it in DBP, then that sort of thing can't be done unless DBP makes the change (which would be nice)"
Yes I'm making it in DBP. Interesting if macs became intel based and therefore more pc compatible... if this did happen and microsoft made directx for them I don't see why dbp and this couldn't become mac compatible. However that probably not going to happen in the near future...

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2005 15:32
@Kangaroo, true, they haven't released any macs with intel chips yet, fist they'll be releasing it on the mac mini, so even for waiting for intel chips will be a long wait, as for DBP on mac we would have to wait even longer, which is a shame really, as DBP and my games are the only thing keeping me stuck to windows over Mac OS, so the intel switch may end up benefiting me as well as others

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2005 18:29 Edited at: 8th Aug 2005 18:32
Yes I agree, although as macs & pcs become more similar they will inherit each other's problems as well as benefits...

Anyway (back on topic ) gonna post some proper screens later but just had to check my emails so I thought I'd post another shot of a terrain in the level editor whilst I'm online Terrains are really useful as you can create lovely smooth race tracks with them, as well as the more obvious outdoor levels - and when you combine them with water and small building theres lots of potential for rpgs to I'll try and get an example working with the vehicle physics for release...

http://www.quikly.com/downloads/prereleaseshot09.jpg

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2005 01:27
doh! can't believe I didn't see a reply before I went to Karate, oh well

I don't think so with the mac comment, because dedication to customers and quality differ between mac and windows, and well if they've been testing intel on there systems and working better than IBM, then would assume they will be even better now, rather encounter problems, and I love apple customer care (replace my brothers logic board on his I-book , whereas as when my sisters' hard drive on the pc went she had to pay for it)

Anyway, I'll go back on topic too

That looks pretty cool, can't wait for the demo dude!

alex 1337
User Banned
Posted: 9th Aug 2005 04:29
Cant wait, looks great. Just hope it comes with a lot of models, because I suck at that.
Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2005 20:53 Edited at: 9th Aug 2005 20:56
Hi everyone!

"That looks pretty cool, can't wait for the demo dude!"
Thanks I hope you'll have fun with it!

"Cant wait, looks great. Just hope it comes with a lot of models, because I suck at that."
Thanks As I said the first version won't have many models (just enough to show what it can do) but I'll release new model & texture packs every month for free to registered users

MANY apologies for not posting for a while, my wifes PC has been playing up so I couldn't get online (as my pc runs winxp and whenever I take it online it gets virusses and spyware blitzed before I have a chance to download the security updates! doh!) Anyway its back working now of sorts (in 16 colors and with no sound but at least I can get online) so I can post the website, screenshots demo etc. tomorrow.

I won't post any more shots tonight, as now its so close to the release I'll just wait to wow you all on the official release tomorrow evening! Its looking good (and much more varied!) is all I'll say

Demo and full EA release tomorrow will definitely include: (These are promises!)
FPS, Third Person, and driving modes
3d Level Editor
Terrain Support (outdoor levels etc.)
Vehicle Support
Realtimelights and shadows
Collision & Physics
Ragdoll Support

Things not to expect until the next update: (v soon)
Enemy AI (working on scripting and researching lua)
HUD (might get basic support for this in if I stay up late)
Full DBPro export mode (if it doesn't work I'll disable it till its fixed)

Don't forget I'm making a strong effort so that all future versions will be backwardly compatible so you get get started with making levels etc right away

All in all I'm a little panicked (squashing bugs and writing tutorials/help files manically) but looking forward to releasing it tomorrow! See y'all here then

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2005 21:11 Edited at: 9th Aug 2005 21:12
I have to admit... THIS LOOKS AWSOME! Sure i'm going to check out the demo tommorow
May i even add that some of the features looks more promising than fpsc? Like realtimelight, ragdoll, vehicle support and terrain!

Visit PanzerGames here
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2005 21:20
why can u only get it if you have dbpro installed, what about dBC.... i think its been forgotten

"Well if she dies it'll teach her not to do it again..." - Me
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2005 22:09
Quote: " why can u only get it if you have dbpro installed, what about dBC.... i think its been forgotten"

What are you mean?:S Is it the exporting thing we're it will export to dbpro source so you can continue your game in dbpro? I myself have both dbc and dbpro. I started out with dbc but then i just couldn't resist buying dbpro because of the nice features
Of course today i use dbpro. All what i just said didn't really answer anything I just think most users today uses dbpro. Although i know dbc can be used for great products too! Only... dbpro have more nicer features and if i remember correct dbpro is faster than dbc(In frames per second).

Visit PanzerGames here

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 22:49:14
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 22:49:14