Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Realms Of Tutopia

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2007 22:34
Yup, keep up the good work
And nice plant system.

easy comes easy goes
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2007 00:10
I certainly hope to! Thanks!

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2007 13:40
Bah! I'm going to have to re-do terrain I think. I can convert the matrix to advanced terrain but it doesn't look as good. I think I'm gonna go for producing the AT in real-time.

The ARRAYinator
Years of Service
User Offline
Use memblock terrains. There treated as an object and can be manipulated in so many ways. And if your worried about speed write your own culling routine. Just my opinion. If you need help with anything with terrains I can help,lol.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2007 19:15
You know, I did consider that idea...
However, Advanced Terrain is treated as an object too and it already has culling. I'll probably end up finding a reason to and going back to memblocks later though and having to re-do everything again though! Lol! But at the moment I see no reason not to use AT.

wildbill
Years of Service
User Offline
I can take the vertex positions from the matrix and convert it to a heightmap. Which kind of sounds like what you are doing (if I'm wrong you can ignore the rest).

I did this and noticed that the advanced terrain was not very smooth or choppy looking. I ended up running the height map through a bluring function, which improved the advanced terrain considerably.
I'm now messing around with a smoothing function when I'm actually setting the matrix heights. This will compare adjacent points in the matrix and limit how much they can be changed in relation to each other.
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2007 19:21
Well as it is I have a smoothing function for the matrix to begin with. I then made a heightmap which was 2x the res of the matrix and averaged heights to create the points in between. I even tried adding a very slight fractal change to every point to make it slightly more detailed. Meh! I'll get it sorted!

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2007 21:19
The editor looks really nice, good luck with this project again.

WII number: 8220 5043 6939 7393
GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2007 21:28 Edited at: 19th Jul 2007 21:37
This sounds like a WIP board, if only it had a screenshot

if any mods are about you should look at this one

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=110563&b=8

I think we have a fake screenshot in the TCG screenshots, who approved that without being suspicious?

DinoHunter (still no nVidia compo voucher!), CPU/GPU Benchmark, DarkFish Encryption DLL, War MMOG (WIP), 3D Model Viewer
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2007 15:23
Woah! I thought this thread was dead! Since my PC died I've had no time to do much programming as my parent's PC is rarely available. I'm using the little time I have to work on some casual games to earn cash for a new PC. However, as and when I have the time, I'll work on this again. Realms Of Tutopia was started a few years back and, in different versions, loads of work went in to it so I can't let it die completely!

@zzz - Thanks!

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2007 02:02 Edited at: 24th Jul 2007 02:04
@TEH_CODERER: I like the editor I hope you finish this at some point. However, I have a few questions:

1. Who were you selling your games to? I'm just curious . Were they random people online, friends, family...

2. How were you selling the games? (PayPal, distributed by hand)

3. How much were you selling them for, and what were they about?

---Sorry for all of the pointless questions (and the bump). You don't have to answer them if you don't want to, I just thought I'd throw them out there due to my curiosity...

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2007 10:01
Well I'm currently still making the first one; I was struggling to think of what game to make! So none sold yet but I'll tell you what the plan is at the moment:

1) General public but a bias towards casual gamers; generally 40 year old women.

2) There are lots of online distributors that will sell your game as a download and provide advertisments but will then take a percentage (usually around 40%-50%) of the profit. A few of these places are Big Fish Games, Reflexive Arcade and Garage Games. They invite you to send them a demo of your game which they will test and then let you know if they are happy to sell it for you. The game remains your own property and you can distribute it through as many of these places as you want.

3) I think the cost is negotiated by the site you sell through. around $19.99 (roughly £11) seems to be the norm. As I mentioned they are casual games aimed at a market largely comprised of 40 year old women. The most popular genres are normally puzzle, card, strategy and action. By action I mean games like Zuma or Luxor. This is not my favourite set of genres and I've never made games that style before so its slow progress at the moment but hopefully it will be worth it! For a general view of what style games they are then check out one of the online ditributors.

Here are the websites of the distributors that I mentioned:
http://www.bigfishgames.com
http://www.reflexivearcade.com
http://www.garagegames.com

Quote: "---Sorry for all of the pointless questions (and the bump). You don't have to answer them if you don't want to, I just thought I'd throw them out there due to my curiosity...
"

Not at all; I just hope my answers were useful!

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 02:46
Thanks for answering, TEH_CODERER, you answers really helped. I just wish the sites wouldn't take such a hige percentage of your profit... Oh well, such is life

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2007 21:04
Lol! Well they do offer distribution and advertising which you don't pay for directly so at least you can only make a profit!

Epimetheus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2007 23:20
You kind of have to learn the inner workings of what others have made in order to use it fully anyway...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 05:03:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 05:03:08