Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / i-Rating Board-The New Independent Game Rating System

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
@incense: I have read it all and if you read my post you won't find me saying they are the same I simply stated this board will be no better than TIGRS but with people in terms of credablitly until it has taken off gradully. Don't get me wrong I think it is a good idea and I support it my post was mearly defending TIGRS and stating that the idea will need work to make it better than just another version of TIGRS

Thanks
Adam
incense
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2007 14:21 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2007 18:24
PAS was going to use the rating system that I created. I would simply use my own work to support my own work.

Refer to the first post on the second page of this thread.

Quote: "Posted: 3rd Jun 2007 21:05
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Announcement: OK, thanks to Incense, we now have arating system in place. He did a superb job and he will hopefully continue to help keep this board highly reputable with its rating system.

It is now up to me to finish things up, finish the details on the logo, which Duplex is looking over and hopefull cna help improve it, as well as making the website and informaiton for the content.

So, by June 20th I should have the website up. That is my goal if not sooner.

I thank everyone for their support.

K.L. Phair"

As for the people that I will choose to Rate the games:
Must at least 18yo and prove it.
Must be reliable and honest.

More qualifications will create themselves as we go along.

I hope that I don't have to carry the ball. I hope that PAS comes back. However, I will indeed do just that if need be.

You should email me if your interested in rating games. I won't anounce that kind of thing here.

The person that now knows the most started with many questions. Patients and tolorance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. http://gamedesigntech.byethost7.com/
incense
Years of Service
User Offline
Well it seems that I now have to put my rating system to work. I am putting together the site and hope to have it up before the end of next week.

I will create a new thread when the site is done.

Later!

The person that now knows the most started with many questions. Patients and tolorance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. http://gamedesigntech.byethost7.com/
Mr Makealotofsmoke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2007 09:08
Duplex
User Banned
Posted: 4th Sep 2007 10:55
You know what? I hope this goes to crap. What right do you have to take this right out of PAS's hands? Why dont you start your own? You dont have any permission from PAS that you have shared with us!

I think its just wrong, Start your own!

Have a lovly day,
Duplex

Professional, afforable, what more could you want?
Get your FREE Standard Edition Today!
Mr Makealotofsmoke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2007 12:23
well, if u read above in the other pages, PAS used incense idea on the rating system, so he is pretty much using most of his ideas, along with PAS's main idea.
If PAS comes back incense would probably let him do stuff i guess

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 4th Sep 2007 16:34
Quote: "Start your own!"

He is, with his own rating scheme, website, name, etc. And PAS didn't start the idea.... he got it from someone else as well.

I hope nothing has happened to PAS, but he dropped the ball on this one. No harm, no foul as far as I'm concerned.

PAS, if you're out there, just let us know you're ok.

Best.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

incense
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2007 17:06 Edited at: 4th Sep 2007 17:27
@Duplex: Chill Dude!! I never said that I was going to use the same name that PAS has in mind. I was the one that invented the rating system in the first place. I'm going to use my rating system. I don't need anyones permission for that. You just assumed that I was going to launch something from whatever work that PAS has done. The fact of the matter is that PAS has shown no work that he has done except for a graphic concept. There has been no indication that he intends go forward with this. You will find no one that will be able to show that I am stealing from PAS, because I'm not going to do that. If and when PAS comes back he will need to formulate an new rating system. That was my only contribution to I-Ratings. PAS and I both aknowledge that the system is mine. That means that I can do what I want with it. I didn't give it to him free and clear. The emails that he and I exchanged created an understanding. There are things that you don't know that PAS and I have covered between us. PAS created no website that we know of, Contacted anyone to further the cause that we know of, Done no press releases that we know of etc...etc. As far as all that goes there is nothing to steal. PAS and I have our own seperate ideas except for the actual rating system. I will reiterate the fact that the rating system is mine, even PAS will tell you that. So please don't be upset. What you think is happening isn't happeneing. PAS can still do what he wants with his idea if and when he comes back, anyone and everyone knows that. It will not effect me at all and what I will do will not effect him.

I hope that I have laid it out so that all understand that I am indeed starting my own ratings program, and not taking anything from PAS that wasn't mine to begin with.

I hope also that PAS is well. I really think that he contributed allot. He seems like a nice enough person to. Few of thoes types of people around theses days.

PAS! Let us know if your alive, at least.

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
No he's dead. lol

Play the pre-demo of 508, only at the Level Compo...
incense
Years of Service
User Offline
That would suck!!!

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2007 23:44 Edited at: 6th Sep 2007 05:49
*Chuckles* Yeah... maybe... but I didn't really see this going to be a success. There is already the ESRB and all that junk. Maybe he realized this after all this time.

Goodman84
Years of Service
User Offline
ESRB isnt free

hey
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
I see another flame-fest is starting! Listen, people need to stop thinking others have taken their ideas. Believe it or not, I don't think PAS was probably the first one to come up with that idea, all ideas have most likely been duplicated, more then once.

Phoenix Sentry Representative / Programmer / Moderator / Beta Tester
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Dude, just calm down. It's not like I'm going to find where youlive and shoot you. Good for him and I support him, but we haven't heard from him in a while and I don't know... he might have stopped it. Just calm down. Your the one starting something. and don't make it into something by replying back dogging me. Peace, I'm going to take a relaxing shower.

Goodman84
Years of Service
User Offline
ASTEK, dude I didnt see any flaming NOW ur flaming, BUT i rly don't wanan get in to this Due to past probs errm. So...

hey
incense
Years of Service
User Offline
I haven't seen anyone flaming anyone.

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2007 05:47 Edited at: 16th Sep 2007 06:49
I'm just trying to stop a flame war from happening myself.

Second Chairman of COZ's Productions.
Goodman84
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'm just trying to stop a falme war from happening myself."

All I can say.... "lol"

For hints to stop flames: "say: "
Its hard for me 2 lol. jk?

hey
incense
Years of Service
User Offline
ASTEK said:
Quote: "I'm just trying to stop a falme war from happening myself."

Effort greatly appreciated.

Goodman84 said:
Quote: "All I can say.... "lol"

For hints to stop flames: "say: "
Its hard for me 2 lol. jk?"

Humor is also greatly appreciated.

Patients and tolorance are the keys to the passage of knowledge.
http://www.donfinner.com/game_design_tech/game_design_tech.html
Goodman84
Years of Service
User Offline
lol

hey
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
This flew over my head and I'm sure I was having a bad day when I posted those.

Second Chairman of COZ's Productions.
Dr Distracto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2007 07:51
Great idea!
but I think you'll have to do much better to beat TIGR! they are also and independent game rating company, they have a very stylish logo and their services are free.
Dr Distracto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2007 07:54 Edited at: 16th Sep 2007 07:56
Great idea!
but you'll have to do alot better to beat TIGR! they are also and independent rating company who provides a stylish rating logo and its all free

link
http://www.tigrs.org/

EDIT: srry for the double post
Mr Makealotofsmoke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2007 12:13
almost everyone already knows about TIGRS , read the posts

incense
Years of Service
User Offline
The subject of TIGRS has been covered and it has been pointed out that it is free because it is not impartial. There is no third party to do the rating so the game maker can down play the rating all they want and there is no one to dispute them on it. Soon it will get to a point that ratings are manditory perhaps. If ratings for games are not impartial then no one will trust them. If no one trust them and yet they are still manditory, then what?

Before anyone say "They won't make ratings for games manditory", Let me say that they did it to other media. Who is going to stop them from doing it to games?

Be careful with your answers to that question. It would be very easy to look really silly.

------------------------
As for my rating site: I am putting the tools and toys together and looking for a host. I have no estimated time for launch right now.

Mr Makealotofsmoke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2007 01:16
hey, im trying to set up paid webhosting, im just having troubles with paypal (it says the card is used on another account but that account is limited) so im not sure how to get money in it.
i got a few plans that arnt oversold and are fairly cheap.

incense
Years of Service
User Offline
Mr Makealotofsmoke, I registered for your free package. If I need more I will deffinately upgrade. I'm not sure how this will pan out so, I am not going to spend any thing I don't have to on it.

Mr Makealotofsmoke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 15:33 Edited at: 21st Sep 2007 15:33
ok, fair enough
If u want, ill take the ads off the account.

jonathan samson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2007 01:22
What happend to PAS his site is still up...

j.samson
My beauty it is my sin.
Work in Progress...
Mr Makealotofsmoke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2007 01:44
incense
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2007 14:05 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2007 14:15
Mr Makealotofsmoke, that would be most kind. I thank you and appreciate you generosity.

jonathan samson, I am also most curious about PAS site. I hasn't said a thing in such a long time.

You must be refering to http://www.egamestudio.com/

I see that it is still there but PAS himself has made no announcement of the opening of a site to do what I am aiming to do.

I sent an email to the admin of TIGRS and asked if they understood that the method they use is not unbiased and easy to abuse. I have not gotten a response. It says on the TIGRS site that I sould get a response in 24hrs or less.

incense
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2007 16:10 Edited at: 24th Sep 2007 16:54
Mr Makealotofsmoke, I just sent an email to you about an alternate name for the rating site. I researched it and the only that came up was the mention of tigrs on this forum.

thanks again.

EDIT: I finally did get an answer from TIGRS. Here it is.

My question is how effective could this system be? Even if someone reports abuse and legal action is taken it would cost more to take them to court then would be gained. I'm not sure how well that would work.

I would like to make it clear that I never said that TIGRS would fail. So please don't anyone think that. I just think that there are some serious holes in the legal side of the system is all. I am not a lawyer and I can't say for sure how well it work, I just question the power of it all.

EDIT: The rating site is up and running. I'm sure that it needs a few things. I will be adding to it and making it better as time goes on. You can follow the link to read the thread.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=114941&b=21

incense
Years of Service
User Offline
WOW! This thread got quiet.

Patience and tolerance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. Even the ones that know the most started with many questions.
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2007 17:56
Quote: "I would like to make it clear that I never said that TIGRS would fail. So please don't anyone think that. I just think that there are some serious holes in the legal side of the system is all. I am not a lawyer and I can't say for sure how well it work, I just question the power of it all."

It's no different to ESRB ratings.

Someone can always take a rating image from a rated product and stick it on an unrated one. The only way to protect against that is with copyright and trademark laws.

I don't see any holes in TIGRS at all that don't exist in any other ratings system.

By way of demonstration, he emitted a batlike squeak that was indeed bothersome.
incense
Years of Service
User Offline
ESRB and TIGRS both have copywrites on their graphics for their rating systems. Both state that if they find that someone has abused a graphic that they created for their system they will take legal action.

I Have no graphic set at this point but have I many to choose from. I have copywrights to them all as a single submission. I would also take legal action if I find that one of my graphics is used and was not earned. That is the pupose of keeping track of the games that are rated.

So I agree that if someone wanted to take the chance they could slip a rating sticker from any company on a game. Then if the game gets big, they have to live with the worry that someone might figure it out and sue them.

No one can say that it can't or won't happen and be correct because it hasn't had the opportunity to happen yet. When a case goes to court, and the person that abused the rating sticker wins, then and only then will I beleive that it can happen that way. I am sure that there are people that feel the same about the oposite senario also. Both have the correct wait and see atittude.

In My Opinion. Bare in mind the part about "In My Opinion".

Later!

Patience and tolerance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. Even the ones that know the most started with many questions.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 03:29:43
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 03:29:43